T-mobile uk Hero goldcard but can't run RUU, USB error - help!

Search This thread

msiviter

Oct 25, 2007
Hi,

Using the old HTC wwe RUU (I've tried the two different recommended ones from the guides here at unlockr and Modaco) the RUU goes to the bootloader then on the PC is says 'waiting for bootloader' which then goes to error [171] USB connection error after about a minute (handset displays USB RUU). I've got adb and all the drivers. What am I doing wrong, I establish a sync with HTC sync (latest version ) before launching the RUU? Can I use Droid Explorer to help me or are these RUUs the only way of getting an old ROM on?

Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks

Matt

I've trawled the forum with search but can't find a resolution.

btdag

Nov 25, 2009
Bournemouth
Hi,

Using the old HTC wwe RUU (I've tried the two different recommended ones from the guides here at unlockr and Modaco) the RUU goes to the bootloader then on the PC is says 'waiting for bootloader' which then goes to error [171] USB connection error after about a minute (handset displays USB RUU). I've got adb and all the drivers. What am I doing wrong, I establish a sync with HTC sync (latest version ) before launching the RUU? Can I use Droid Explorer to help me or are these RUUs the only way of getting an old ROM on?

Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks

Matt

I've trawled the forum with search but can't find a resolution.

You are probably running the wrong driver. Follow my driver guide part iv. (You should be on My HTC not ADB driver)

If not then probably your gold card hasn't stuck (check it) or you'll need to use windows xp instead (can use a virtual machine).

oliwan

Aug 10, 2008
I had this issue when using windows 7 64 bit.

Download the drivers in the attachment in the noob guide. Then reboot your phone into the htc bootloader (power on while holding back button).
Then connect your phone to the pc and use device manager (have disk) to install the drivers you downloaded. then run the HTC RUU with the phone still in the htc bootloader.
The drivers had to be installed whilst I was in the bootloader for it to work for me.

Might be worth adding this to the noob guide?

Last edited:

btdag

Nov 25, 2009
Bournemouth
Then reboot your phone into the htc bootloader (power on while holding back button).
Then connect your phone to the pc and use device manager (have disk) to install the drivers you downloaded. then run the HTC RUU with the phone still in the htc bootloader.
The drivers had to be installed whilst I was in the bootloader for it to work for me.

Might be worth adding this to the noob guide?

Depending on whether this works for this guy, might be a simpler method than the alternative.

@msiviter - please try the above quoted method first

shotgunfool

Sep 13, 2008
I had this issue, and the solution for me was just to swap to a new computer, and it installed instantly

chetermaat

Oct 23, 2006
Zutphen
Sony Xperia XZ3
Try This

While trying to flash the RUU the phone reboots.

When it is rebooted you see RUU.usb on your phone screen. But no flash process.

While phone is still connected to pc and is still in RUU.usb mode.

Go to device manager on your pc. Right klik android devices and renew the USB driver to HTC driver.

Reboot computer and reboot phone.

then try to flash again.

This was the solution for me.

msiviter

Oct 25, 2007
Tried all the above, spent 6 hours on it, I've got the closest by going to a (win7 64bit) pc that has never had the sdk on it then the RUU goes further but terminates with error [140] Incorrect Bootloader. I've made my goldcard again to no avail (Sandisk 512mb) and checked the goldcard data which was OK, I'll try it tomorrow on a different (Kingston 8gb) card.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help so far.

Matt

Update: New SD card and goldcard now gives 'Error [131] Incorrect Customer ID' on my Win7 x64, I'll try on my dads old XP laptop later!!!

Last edited:

drspikes

Aug 29, 2009
London
I suspect it is a windows 7 issue. On the first attempt I managed to downgrade when I moved to my Vista machine.

I must have tried for about 6 hours with Win7 then moved back to my old Vista PC and it worked first time.

From observing the process on Win7, when the phone boots to the bootloader, the RUU program then gives it 180 seconds to confirm Bootloader is loaded "waiting for bootloader...1-180sec". Looking at the system tray the USB driver that is used for HTCsync disconnects and the device now says it is Android 1.0 and Win7 needs to find a driver for this. Win7 fails to find a driver for "Android 1.0" so it never allows propper communication between the phone and the computer.

(There are separate Win7 64-bit drivers - check you are using these?)
P.P.S. The stock card that came with the phone worked fine as a Goldcard for me and I think most people.

msiviter

Oct 25, 2007
OK I've now tried on a sp3 x86 XP machine and I still got Error [140] and [131] whether trying from phone synced to pc or phone booted in Fastboot USB.

I've given up. I'll wait until June!

Last edited:

idroid84

Mar 12, 2010
UK
OK I've now tried on a sp3 x86 XP machine and I still got Error [140] and [131] wheter trying from phone synced to pc or phone booted in Fastboot USB.

I've given up. I'll wait until June!

You installed the latest version of HTC Sync while your phone was unplugged/ Then you plugged the phone in to detect new drivers. Waited for the drivers to successfully install and then ran the RUU?

msiviter

Oct 25, 2007
I did exactly that on my win7 x64 and xp mce sp3 x86 pc's both had 'My HTC' in Device manager and had a sync relationship established with the latest 'Legend' HTC sync software.

Both gave the almost random error messages although now the bootloader almost finishes now so I'm past the [171] usb (driver) errors and I'm on [131] and [140] errors which pertain to bootloader and incorrect customer errors which I think are goldcard related. Although like most people I do rush through things and not read instructions! I've now made 4 goldcards via the various guides and I'm sure they are OK.

My Bro is getting his desire this week and I was determined to beat him to eclair but it looks like I'm in the lap of the T-mobile gods waiting until June (or july....September.... December etc).

Matt

dung.le

Oct 9, 2009
Hanoi
I have same issue with msiviter, CUSTOMER ID ERROR.

I was able to run RUU regarding to guid from btdag (section IV).

What can I do now?

Blaiz0r

Jul 2, 2010
I have the same issue here, can't downgrade to the previous Orange RUU, also using Win7 x64.

Have tried reinstalling drivers, and using other ROMS, nothing seems to work. I also find that when I run the RUU it loses connection to my phone before it even tried rebooting the phone into the bootloader.

ryanshepherd

Jul 11, 2007
Same Issue

The trick to get the RUU to actually update the phone, for me, was to make sure that in Device Manager the ADB Interface driver was showing "My HTC" and not "HTC Bootloader". I was able to switch between drivers using the update driver button, and didn't need to download any new files or specify a folder or anything.