[APP][22 Feb 2011] Mwunderground - Weather Underground application for Windows Mobile

Search This thread
Hi,

This is my first real Windows Mobile application.

Mwunderground on SourceForge

Description:
This is a weather application. It uses data from Weather Underground to show current weather conditions, forecast and weather alerts.

Features:
- Weather Underground data for Current Conditions, Forecast, Radar and Alerts
- Can use Personal Weather Station (PWS) as well as Airport station data
- Tower and GPS location
- Working version for VGA, WVGA, WQVGA, QVGA phones
- Sense Look and Feel for settings (thanks to SenseSDK)
- Free and Open-Source (developer contributions encouraged)
- S2U2 support with wildcards (see 2nd post)

License:
LGPL

Tested on:
HTC Raphael (Touch Pro, Fuze)

Screenshots:
dbimage.php
dbimage.php
dbimage.php
dbimage.php
dbimage.php
dbimage.php

TODO/Known Issues:
- Show All Data (to show both metric and standard units)
- Language Support
- CHT weather support
- Multiple Locations
- Color customizations
- More optimizations (especially xml parsing)
- Port to Android and maybe Windows Phone 7
- Others (suggestions welcome)?

Changelog:
v0.4: Added radar for US Cities (landscape mode using internal browser), customizable in registry (see 2nd post). Moved Settings button on top next to newly added Exit button. Displaying 5 days of forecast instead of 6 with slightly bigger text. Improved QVGA/WVGA support (bigger buttons for WVGA, fixed missing text for QVGA/WQVGA). Many bug fixes (value checking in forecast, GPS thread termination, station re-searching, duplicate location station search). Removed Exit button from Settings as now there is a main Exit button on top right.
v0.3: More error checking (locations and stations). Better resource management on exit. Moved Tower and GPS finding to a timed thread (timer is customizable in registry, see 2nd post). Fixed small bug with showing high and lows of today's rather than tomorrow's forecast. S2U2 support with wildcards in registry (see 2nd post). Better support for browser link (when clicking on logo). Changed chance of rain to chance of precipitation (moved some things around). Enabled stations picking when using GPS.
v0.2.3: Better error handling (more messages, more checks). Faster connection checking. Some Bug fixes (alerts on startup, lows and humidity on non-metric).
v0.2.2: Better error messages. Connection checking. Some GPS fixes. Exit button added on Settings.
v0.2.1: Fixed a bug with startup registry keys
v0.2: Added support for QVGA and WVGA devices
v0.1: Initial release

[size=+1]Download (cab):[/size]
v0.4
v0.3
v0.2.3
v0.2.2
v0.2.1
v0.2
v0.1

Latest Build (cab):
Here. Click download on latest revision.

Credits:
Weather Underground, Inc. (permission to use data)
eboelzner (SenseSDK)
OpenNetCF (Smart Device Framework - Community Edition)
Acoustic (at CodeProject, author of DeepCast)

Any feedback/suggestions very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Reserved

Hints:
- To update the data, either click on the button that is highlighted (i.e. if you are viewing Current data, click on the Current button again to update, etc.), or go to Settings and click Save Settings.
- For using GPS Location, when you enable the option on the settings, it will first try to find your location based on tower information (i.e. you cell provider towers). This does not block the system. Mine takes about 2-3 seconds. If it finds your location, it will show something like: Approx. Location: 37.861111,23.759126. Regardless of finding an approx location, the app will continue on to find your GPS location, based on your GPS receiver. This could take a while but it also does not block the system. Mine (with latest quick gps data) takes another 2-3 seconds. If it finds a GPS location, it will show something like: GPS Location: 37.861123,23.759145. GPS location obviously overwrites Approx Location. You could wait or save settings and come back to settings again later to check if the GPS location is found, at which point you can do save settings again to update with your exact location weather data. By default the app takes 60 seconds to look for a tower location and a GPS position. You can change the timeout in the registry (see Customizations).

Customizations:
Most of the settings data are stored in the registry key (HKCU) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mwunderground. You can use Total Commander or Registry Editor to modify these values. Only do so if you know what you are doing. If something is broken, just reinstall the cab (which uninstalls first and clears the registry).

Radar Customization
To modify the Radar, you can edit the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mwunderground\RadarURL. The current value is:
Code:
http://radblast-mi.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/radar/WUNIDS_map?station=*RADARID*&brand=manmade&num=6&delay=50&type=N0R&frame=0&scale=1.000&noclutter=0&t=1297546449&lat=*LAT*&lon=*LON*&label=you&showstorms=10&map.x=400&map.y=240&centerx=400&centery=240&transx=0&transy=0&showlabels=1&severe=1&rainsnow=0&lightning=0&smooth=1
The *RADARID* will be replaced in the application by the proper RadarId based on your location, *LAT* and *LON*, Latitude and Longitude, which are replaced by the station's Latitude and Longitude location. You can modify the remainder of the values. For example, to change the speed of the animation, modify delay=50, to delay=75 (will slow it down by 25%), or to not show labels, set showlabels=1 to showlabels=0.

Tower and GPS connection timeout
To modify the Tower and GPS connection timeout, you can edit the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mwunderground\GPSTimer to the number of seconds you'd like. Default is 60.

SU2U Wildcards
To modify the S2U2 format, you can edit the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mwunderground\S2U2Format.
Code:
Possible S2U2 formats:
  ICONS=S, P, W, C
  If icon is S, P, W, format is for example: S|*NUMBER*|High|Low
  If icon is C, format is: C|*NUMBER*|MESSAGE
      *NUMBER* will be replaced by the appropriate icon number based on the ORIGINAL S2U2 icon numbers
          Weather Underground icon to S2U2 icon matching:
          clear=32(Day)/31(Night), cloudy=26/27, flurries=13, fog=20, hazy=21, mostlycloudy=28/27, 
          mostlysunny=30/29, partlycloudy=30/29, partlysunny=28/27, rain=12/45, sleet=7, 
          snow=16/46, sunny=32/31, tstorms=3/47, unknown=0
      MESSAGE= can be anything and you can use the following wildcards
                  *TEMP_C* is replaced by the current temperature in C
                  *TEMP_F* is replaced by the current temperature in F
                  *TEMP* is replaced by the current temperature based on your selection in settings (will append °C or °F)
                  *HIGH_C* is replaced by High temperature in C
                  *LOW_C* is replaced by Low temperature in C
                  *HIGH* is replaced by High temperature with units based on your selection in settings (will append °C or °F)
                  *LOW* is replaced by Low temperature with units based on your selection in settings(will append °C or °F)
                  *DAY_0_HIGH_C* is replaced by High temperature in C for day 0 (today) of forecast (same as *HIGH_C*)
                  *DAY_0_LOW_C* is replaced by Low temperature in C for day 0 (today) of forecast (same as *LOW_C*)
                  *DAY_1_HIGH_C* is replaced by High temperature in C for day 1 (tomorrow) of forecast
                  *DAY_5_LOW_C* is replaced by Low temperature in C for day 5 of forecast
                  *DAY_0_HIGH* is replaced by High temperature with units based on your selection in settings for day 0 (today) of forecast (same as *HIGH*) (will append °C or °F)
                  *DAY_0_LOW* is replaced by Low temperature with units based on your selection in settings for day 0 (today) of forecast (same as *LOW*) (will append °C or °F)
                  *HIGH_F* ...
                  *LOW_F* ...
                  *DAY_0_HIGH_F* is replaced by High temperature in F for day 0 (today) of forecast (same as *HIGH_F*)
                  *DAY_0_LOW_F* is replaced by Low temperature in F for day 0 (today) of forecast (same as *LOW_F*)
                  *DAY_5_LOW_F* is replaced by Low temperature in F for day 5 of forecast
                  *DAY_5_LOW* is replaced by Low temperature with units based on your selection in settings for day 5 of forecast (will append °C or °F)
                  *WEATHER* is replaced by the weather message (i.e. Clear, Heavy Thunderstorms and Snow, etc.)
                  *WEATHER_ICON* is replaced by the text for the weather icon (i.e. clear, mostlycloudy, etc.)
  EXAMPLES=
              C|*NUMBER*|*HIGH*/*LOW*
                  will display the icon with 12°C/6°C underneath (default)
              C|*NUMBER*|*HIGH_C*°C/*LOW_C*°C
                  will display the icon with 12°C/6°C underneath
              C|*NUMBER*|H:*HIGH_F*°F/L:*LOW_F*°F
                  will display the icon with H:65°F / L:45°F underneath 
              C|*NUMBER*|*WEATHER* (*HIGH_F*°F/*LOW_F*°F)
                  will display the icon with Clear (65°F/45°F) underneath
              C|*NUMBER*|*DAY_0_HIGH_C*°C/*DAY_0_LOW_C*°C - *DAY_1_HIGH_C*°C/*DAY_1_LOW_C*°C - *DAY_2_HIGH_C*°C/*DAY_2_LOW_C*°C 
                  will display the icon with 65°F/45°F - 75°F/55°F - 85°F/65°F underneath
              Go crazy!

Last edited:

Kameirus

Feb 5, 2010
Akron Ohio
doesnt work on my fuze
tried both cab files
after install i soft reset and try to run program but it crashes
before it even starts

ottoman96

Won't work on my Topaz (WVGA). Not sure if its the screen size not being supported or something else. .Net 3.5 is installed and i tried both CABs and same result.

ScreenShot1.jpg

A screenshot of the message I'm getting. thanks for the effort tho- I look foward to this program! :D:D:D

jolas

Feb 22, 2006
Athens
It looks really interersting application!

I would love to have it in other languages too (e.g. Greek ;))

Won't work on my Topaz (WVGA). Not sure if its the screen size not being supported or something else. .Net 3.5 is installed and i tried both CABs and same result.

View attachment 496711

A screenshot of the message I'm getting. thanks for the effort tho- I look foward to this program! :D:D:D

Thanks for the image and everything.
Bug fixed. Should work fine now. Sorry for the mishap.
Get latest version of course. :)

Kameirus

Feb 5, 2010
Akron Ohio
a couple suggestions
1. have a close button ...as now i have to close it thru task manager
2. have the option to manuel update and auto update and maybe an update button

Corwin9S

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2009
www.i900playeraddict.com
hi you all. first, big thanks for this software. it's amazing, I was hesitating to buy this of ageye, but as I've found yours...

just to say that it's working very very good on my i900, winmo 6.1 swiss-french rom, installed on besides memory (Ma mémoire), screen res 240x400.

Only the texts are pretty small in forecast, but... PERFECT !

a simple big Thanks !!

Attachments

• ScreenShot3.Png
    ScreenShot3.Png
    16.4 KB · Views: 70
  • ScreenShot4.Png
    ScreenShot4.Png
    15.7 KB · Views: 65
a couple suggestions
1. have a close button ...as now i have to close it thru task manager
2. have the option to manuel update and auto update and maybe an update button

Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

1. Added on version 0.2.2. Thanks for the suggestion.
2. For manual update, check the 2nd post. I posted a hint. For automatic updates, this is a much bigger task because querying for xml data in windows mobile is quite slow. When I work on optimizing the xml parsing code (3rd iteration!) I'll look at how feasible this is. But it's a big task. :)

Wevenhuis

Nov 10, 2009
Groningen
Got this error when changing the settings:
Mwunderground.exe
NullReferenceException

bij Mwunderground.MainForm.FillForecastData(ForecastData forecastData, CurrentData currentData, SettingsData settingsData)
bij Mwunderground.MainForm.RetrieveAndFillData()
bij Mwunderground.MainForm.itmSave_OnClick(Object Sender)
bij StedySoft.SenseSDK.SensePanelButtonItem._notifyClick()
bij StedySoft.SenseSDK.SensePanelButtonItem.OnMouseUp(Int32 x, Int32 y)
bij StedySoft.SenseSDK.SenseListControl.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.WnProc(WM wm, Int32 wParam, Int32 lParam)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Control._InternalWnProc(WM wm, Int32 wParam, Int32 lParam)
bij Microsoft.AGL.Forms.EVL.EnterMainLoop(IntPtr hwnMain)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form fm)
bij Mwunderground.Program.Main()

This error occured after I changed the current location. Now I can not restart the app. I get the same error message every time I restart the app. I can not even get into the start screen.
How can I fix this, besides a reinstall of the cab file?

Another idea I would like to see is support for the CHT 2.0 weather widget.

Can also weather stations from other countries be used. I keep getting a list from Greece.

Post-edit:
I think I have found the issue. I keep getting an error message when changing the weather location based on search option for cell towers/gps option. Somehow this function is causing the app to work incorrectly, perhaps due to interference with the option of a manual search of the location search. The error occurs only after I save the settings. Can you see if this can be fixed?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

This is my first real Windows Mobile application.

Mwunderground on SourceForge

Description:
    This is a weather application. It uses data from Weather Underground to show current weather conditions, forecast and weather alerts.

Features:
    - Weather Underground data for Current Conditions, Forecast, Radar and Alerts
    - Can use Personal Weather Station (PWS) as well as Airport station data
    - Tower and GPS location
    - Working version for VGA, WVGA, WQVGA, QVGA phones
    - Sense Look and Feel for settings (thanks to SenseSDK)
    - Free and Open-Source (developer contributions encouraged)
    - S2U2 support with wildcards (see 2nd post)

License:
    LGPL

Tested on:
    HTC Raphael (Touch Pro, Fuze)

Screenshots:
    dbimage.php
    dbimage.php
    dbimage.php
    dbimage.php
    dbimage.php
    dbimage.php

TODO/Known Issues:
    - Show All Data (to show both metric and standard units)
    - Language Support
    - CHT weather support
    - Multiple Locations
    - Color customizations
    - More optimizations (especially xml parsing)
    - Port to Android and maybe Windows Phone 7
    - Others (suggestions welcome)?

Changelog:
    v0.4: Added radar for US Cities (landscape mode using internal browser), customizable in registry (see 2nd post). Moved Settings button on top next to newly added Exit button. Displaying 5 days of forecast instead of 6 with slightly bigger text. Improved QVGA/WVGA support (bigger buttons for WVGA, fixed missing text for QVGA/WQVGA). Many bug fixes (value checking in forecast, GPS thread termination, station re-searching, duplicate location station search). Removed Exit button from Settings as now there is a main Exit button on top right.
    v0.3: More error checking (locations and stations). Better resource management on exit. Moved Tower and GPS finding to a timed thread (timer is customizable in registry, see 2nd post). Fixed small bug with showing high and lows of today's rather than tomorrow's forecast. S2U2 support with wildcards in registry (see 2nd post). Better support for browser link (when clicking on logo). Changed chance of rain to chance of precipitation (moved some things around). Enabled stations picking when using GPS.
    v0.2.3: Better error handling (more messages, more checks). Faster connection checking. Some Bug fixes (alerts on startup, lows and humidity on non-metric).
    v0.2.2: Better error messages. Connection checking. Some GPS fixes. Exit button added on Settings.
    v0.2.1: Fixed a bug with startup registry keys
    v0.2: Added support for QVGA and WVGA devices
    v0.1: Initial release

[size=+1]Download (cab):[/size]
    v0.4
    v0.3
    v0.2.3
    v0.2.2
    v0.2.1
    v0.2
    v0.1

Latest Build (cab):
    Here. Click download on latest revision.

Credits:
    Weather Underground, Inc. (permission to use data)
    eboelzner (SenseSDK)
    OpenNetCF (Smart Device Framework - Community Edition)
    Acoustic (at CodeProject, author of DeepCast)

Any feedback/suggestions very much appreciated.
    Hi again!

Found another error tho- Did you try and include a link to the underground website on that icon on the right (See pic)? If so it causes an error message when I touch on or near it (See pics). Not that its that big of a deal... App is still nice!

One other small thing- Might change the "Chance of Rain:" text to "Chance of Precipation:" since its not always raining in Minnesota :D

Also maybe in the future have a color change option- Would love to see the buttons and city text against BLUE!

I made a few changes for the first issue. Yes it is trying to show you the detailed weather on your default browser. Can you check if it works for you please?

For your second comment, I made the change. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

For the third point, I'll add that as a Todo, but customizing colors is messy in terms of how to display it to the user to customize.

Thanks!
    When I try to "use current position" it just sits there and does nothing [waited about 15 min]. It was locked up. Multiple tries with no success.
    If I lived in Athens, Greece it would be fine.

In Athens nothing really is working! =)
    I've made changes to not block the system when you click on use current position. Check the latest version (0.3).
    I would also suggest on the "Forecast" page to only show 5 days instead of 6 days. That way you could increase the font size to make it more readable.

This is a nice idea, or maybe create an option to select how many days you want to show... 5, 6, 7... maybe a link included too
    the app. is working on wifi connections but when i try it on 3G conn
    it says ”internet connection not detected”

Hi Andi200four,

Today we had several times bad er no connections with Weather Underground. In my opinion it has nothing to do with this app.

Regards,
    Timmy