ATT SM900MJ5 rooting experience

Search This thread

Vi3tDroidz

Feb 3, 2014
After attempting to root my ATT Note3 I have learn a few things. Hopefully my experience will help out some of you, and give new ideas to dev team.
1. ODIN. I realize the updated odin looks diff than the previous software. Firmware on Note3 has so much info that it needed to seperate everything. Plus Sammie might think that this will makes it harder to root the phone. I think they just made it easier
Here are my reason. After I got my phone stuck on bootload. It seem almost impossible to get the stock MJ5 firmware for the ATT. I spent so many hours on trying all kind of method on XDA forum. nothing seems to work out. At this point, I had nothing else to loose but my phone. So I decided give another manufacture firmware a shot. I downloaded TMobile stock firmware. Open ODIN, and loaded all the require MD5 into their perspective place. Hit start, and able to get my phone to loaded again. I had to use T-mobile sim card. Don't know what happen, but apperently, as long that you have all the correct data, ODIN will do the rest. I wanted to test this out further, so I download kitkat for tmobile. (i had to use one click.exe) because the other files doesn't have the MD5. I ran the ODIN that came with the file, but this time I use the Kitkat for ATT instead of TMOBILE. One click.exe install the ATT kitkat on my phone just fine. And now, after 2 days of downloading, and reading rooting article from XDA, droidview, etc. I think we can flash any rom using ODIN as long that you have all 5 MD5 files.Hope this help. I think i'm just lucky.

jazzespresso

Jul 24, 2012
NYC-USA
thanks for this...a lot people saying rooting is easy, but I don't think it is (at least compare to other devices)

nyrican779

Aug 17, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa
Post video of process I'm curious to see this working as well as files needed, I have an AT&T note 3 and want to install T-mobile Rom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

searcharound

Dec 18, 2013
After attempting to root my ATT Note3 I have learn a few things. Hopefully my experience will help out some of you, and give new ideas to dev team.
1. ODIN. I realize the updated odin looks diff than the previous software. Firmware on Note3 has so much info that it needed to seperate everything. Plus Sammie might think that this will makes it harder to root the phone. I think they just made it easier
Here are my reason. After I got my phone stuck on bootload. It seem almost impossible to get the stock MJ5 firmware for the ATT. I spent so many hours on trying all kind of method on XDA forum. nothing seems to work out. At this point, I had nothing else to loose but my phone. So I decided give another manufacture firmware a shot. I downloaded TMobile stock firmware. Open ODIN, and loaded all the require MD5 into their perspective place. Hit start, and able to get my phone to loaded again. I had to use T-mobile sim card. Don't know what happen, but apperently, as long that you have all the correct data, ODIN will do the rest. I wanted to test this out further, so I download kitkat for tmobile. (i had to use one click.exe) because the other files doesn't have the MD5. I ran the ODIN that came with the file, but this time I use the Kitkat for ATT instead of TMOBILE. One click.exe install the ATT kitkat on my phone just fine. And now, after 2 days of downloading, and reading rooting article from XDA, droidview, etc. I think we can flash any rom using ODIN as long that you have all 5 MD5 files.Hope this help. I think i'm just lucky.

You can root it using KINGO, but you can not do sim unlock using REGIONAL UNLOCK trick.

TheDriller

Jan 31, 2012
Augusta, GA

Could you please send me a PM or hit me up on hangouts? roughneckryan@gmail.com I have some questions I need to ask you

Sent from my SM-N900A
RErick-GalaxyNote3v7_zps7048a771.png

xclub_101

Oct 15, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

I don't quite understand your claim on rooting - from what you describe you have just returned to stock UNROOTED firmware.

It would have been VERY interesting what bootloader you had while on TMobile ROM - the original locked MJ5 from AT&T or some TMobile (unlocked) bootloader.

And you are now on KitKat AT&T version, so maybe no downgrade will be possible.

Vi3tDroidz

Feb 3, 2014
why not using kingo root?:confused:

I wouldn't use Kingo because we don't really know how they achieve root, and install SU on your phone. From my experience with Kingo when I softbrick the note 3. In my opinion, I think Kingo was the main source for softbrick. At the time, everything on my phone seems to check out ok. (recovery booting, safestrap, and chainfire SU) yet the phone wouldn't boot. So I think with unstable root access will affect your SU, and in my case it couldn't load safestrap, or finish the rest of the boot. My other reason is" I've heard Kingo sent ur call data to China". If I don't let my own apps collect info w/o my knowledge. I'm sure as hell, not gonna let an app send my data without me knowing.

Vi3tDroidz

Feb 3, 2014
Did this trip the Knox counter?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app

My knox still at 0x0. Like I said, for inexperience rooter like myself. I recommended using Odin for all you trouble since it verify your tar.md5 when you load it for flashing. Heimdall is also a good way of doing things, if you're good with ADB, and understand Linux. I use Odin whenever I can, unless the developer for a Roms, theme, install, etc require a different method.

We take risk when we root our phone, but that doesn't mean you can't choose the process that will minimize your risk. "Rooting is like having safe sex" . You take that .01% risk with a condom and look at all those babies in adoption. The same goes with your phone, and I can tell you there quite alot of Brickster out looking for help. :rolleyes:

Reactions: malubaydi

lildoggs

Jul 16, 2009
New York
My knox still at 0x0. Like I said, for inexperience rooter like myself. I recommended using Odin for all you trouble since it verify your tar.md5 when you load it for flashing. Heimdall is also a good way of doing things, if you're good with ADB, and understand Linux. I use Odin whenever I can, unless the developer for a Roms, theme, install, etc require a different method.

We take risk when we root our phone, but that doesn't mean you can't choose the process that will minimize your risk. "Rooting is like having safe sex" . You take that .01% risk with a condom and look at all those babies in adoption. The same goes with your phone, and I can tell you there quite alot of Brickster out looking for help. :rolleyes:

Damn this sounds mighty tempting. Can you post a tutorial or a video in detail on how you managed to put a tmodile rom without tripping the Knox counter? Everyone will thank you for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

rahsaanabdul

Apr 21, 2011
NC
why not using kingo root?:confused:

I've had my brand new Note 3 for 5 days now. I rooted with Kingo...with no problems and then used safestrap for recovery. Sure when it comes to rooting there is always a risk but for anyone to say Kingo can't be used. .. that isn't true. I did my own research and used it :)

Sent from my SM-N900A using xda app-developers app

gtshiftin6

Oct 24, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5
Yeah this needs some investigation if theres a way to load tmo stock firmware theres a chance u got an unlocked bootloader that would be a huge bounty for u and happy day for att note 3 users

Sent from my SM-N900A using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Did this trip the Knox counter?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app