SUUNTO power clip fits TS

Search This thread

roubroeks

Nov 15, 2009
Hi,

I noticed that my SUUNTO power clip fits perfectly on the TS also using 4 connecting point. However I do not know how the wiring of the TS is and how it then should be changed on the clip. I think it would be much more practical to use a modified power clip vs the Omate cradle (obviously need to buy an additional SUUNTO power clip to modify). Any ideas?

Reactions: rexio8

LeighR

Aug 17, 2012
Pics? Google brings me to this thread, LOL.

A charger is just 5V and 0V, so it will be simple to modify (if it needs modifying).

Sent from my LG-V500 using XDA Free mobile app

LeighR

Aug 17, 2012
You sure that's the right one? It doesn't look like it will fit my TS

roubroeks

Nov 15, 2009
Here some pictures ;)

Attachments

• P1030633b.gif
    P1030633b.gif
    176.1 KB · Views: 646
  • P1030636b.gif
    P1030636b.gif
    175.8 KB · Views: 609
  • P1030638b.gif
    P1030638b.gif
    145.5 KB · Views: 635
  • P1030639b.gif
    P1030639b.gif
    206.9 KB · Views: 647
Reactions: LeighR

LeighR

Aug 17, 2012
OK, that looks pretty funky. Yeah I think it would work. If it doesn't, it would be easy to modify

nlck09

Mar 2, 2014
Best way to check is to hook the cable to a charger and check the metal points with a multimeter and do the same thing for the cradle.

LeighR

Aug 17, 2012
Good idea. OP let us know

Last edited:

CPGOD

Jun 11, 2003
Nottingham
Suunto - warning!!

Wow can´t wait to hear if it works out for you...

OK - I too was thinking the SUUNTO lead would be a good extra addition, so ordered one off Fleabay.

I used a standard voltmeter to check the connections on the TS cradle (pics will come).
With the clam shell opened to the left, so the 4 contact pins are on the right, the voltages (top to bottom) are: GND, +2.00V, +2.57V, +5V. [This is plugged into a wall plug charger, not PC)

Using the meter on the SUUNTO lead, oriented to reflect the same top to bottom pinout (for me the lead comes out of the right of the plug, and SUUNTO is upside down),
then THE GND AND +5V ARE REVERSED, SO THIS WOULD PROBABLY SHORT THE TS BATTERY/DAMAGE THE WATCH.

Im in the process of hacking the cable, just by cutting open and switching the cables, but initial feedback doesn't show the that the TS is charging.
[I have only swapped GND and 5V, so wonder if the other lower voltages are needed]

I do also see that the SUUNTO clamp pins and TS pads don't line up exactly, and the clamp doesn't hold on very well to the watch....

More updates later.

Last edited:

roubroeks

Nov 15, 2009
Thanks for sharing this info.

I am currently waiting on the spare SUUNTO cable to arrive to complete the MOD with an USB connector. I agree the SUUNTO clamp is not fixed as tight on the TS as to my Ambit2 watch but it does work and I think it still would be easier to use vs the Omate cradle. Just hope it will charge with the cable.....

death_entry

Nov 23, 2006
London
Thanks for sharing this info.

I am currently waiting on the spare SUUNTO cable to arrive to complete the MOD with an USB connector. I agree the SUUNTO clamp is not fixed as tight on the TS as to my Ambit2 watch but it does work and I think it still would be easier to use vs the Omate cradle. Just hope it will charge with the cable.....

Wasn't this sort of clip what the TS was going to use originally before they moved to the cradle? I don't mind the cradle I just use it with my wireless charger...

roubroeks

Nov 15, 2009
Small update: I reversed to polarity of SUUNTO clip by changing the USB connector to match the 5V +/- of the TS cradle (pin 1 and 4); however the TS does not charge. I assume there is a bit more to it to match the SUUNTO charger cable with the cradle and get TS to charge (I am measuring different resistance in clip and cradle from pin 2 and 3). But unfortunately I am more of a desk jockey and not really technically savvy :silly:
Maybe somebody has more info on the cradle circuit and is able to built the right charger clip. For now the non-ergonomic cradle is the only option for me.

LeighR

Aug 17, 2012
Thanks for your research, I've been waiting for your update.

It wouldn't be complicated to set up a rig to mimic the charger but its more hassle than I can be bothered with and it wouldn't help anyone else because each person would have to buy the Suunto clip and modify it themselves.

If you're going to butcher a piece of hardware, a simpler solution would be to go to poundland and buy a large hair clip and fix it to your cradle, so you can sit the watch in it and clamp it in place.

roubroeks

Nov 15, 2009
Agree LeighR. Well maybe Omate will re-design the cradle one day to make it more ergonomic so one can eg use the buttons while charging..... but I guess by then we will be buying our next gen wrist-phones with the major manufacturers. ;)

trent999

Nov 16, 2013
It is a simple thing to do to drill a couple of small holes in the side of the cradle so you can press the buttons with a toothpick. I did that to mine back in February and the cradle is still fine. Of course, be careful and use a small bit, but its not rocket science.

Expecting Omate to redesign the cradle borders on foolishness, in my opinion. After all, if they had cared even a little they could have driiled the holes themselves during manufacturing. They could even have extended the buttons to the outside of the case, too, but they did not.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LeighR

Aug 17, 2012
It is a simple thing to do to drill a couple of small holes in the side of the cradle so you can press the buttons with a toothpick. I did that to mine back in February and the cradle is still fine. Of course, be careful and use a small bit, but its not rocket science.
I've drilled holes in mine but it's a crap solution. Actually, I barely use the buttons but the cradle also makes it a pain to use pull down/up menus.

LeighR

Aug 17, 2012
This kinda works. Its not great but its cheap - £1 for 6 from pound land

Maybe a rubber band would be better

Attachments

• 1404212794512.jpg
    1404212794512.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 559

chiwah

May 31, 2006
can anyone confirm these universal chargers would be working if we connect it to the right pin? i am confused whichone to connect..

THESE:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41HJAHGXWaL._SY300_.jpg

http://images.shopmadeinchina.com/p...e-Lithium-Battery-Charger-USB_5404046.bak.jpg

OK - I too was thinking the SUUNTO lead would be a good extra addition, so ordered one off Fleabay.

I used a standard voltmeter to check the connections on the TS cradle (pics will come).
With the clam shell opened to the left, so the 4 contact pins are on the right, the voltages (top to bottom) are: GND, +2.00V, +2.57V, +5V. [This is plugged into a wall plug charger, not PC)

Using the meter on the SUUNTO lead, oriented to reflect the same top to bottom pinout (for me the lead comes out of the right of the plug, and SUUNTO is upside down),
then THE GND AND +5V ARE REVERSED, SO THIS WOULD PROBABLY SHORT THE TS BATTERY/DAMAGE THE WATCH.

Im in the process of hacking the cable, just by cutting open and switching the cables, but initial feedback doesn't show the that the TS is charging.
[I have only swapped GND and 5V, so wonder if the other lower voltages are needed]

I do also see that the SUUNTO clamp pins and TS pads don't line up exactly, and the clamp doesn't hold on very well to the watch....

More updates later.

Attachments

• Universal-Cell-Phone-Lithium-Battery-Charger-USB_5404046.bak.jpg
    Universal-Cell-Phone-Lithium-Battery-Charger-USB_5404046.bak.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 198
  • 41HJAHGXWaL._SY300_.jpg
    41HJAHGXWaL._SY300_.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 127

CPGOD

Jun 11, 2003
Nottingham
can anyone confirm these universal chargers would be working if we connect it to the right pin? i am confused whichone to connect..

THESE:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41HJAHGXWaL._SY300_.jpg

http://images.shopmadeinchina.com/p...e-Lithium-Battery-Charger-USB_5404046.bak.jpg

Ignore any of my reference to needing to supply power to the middle two pins - I was wrong.

I have now got the SUUNTO clip working with just 0V and +5V to the outside pins - its all about lining them up properly!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Suunto - warning!!

Wow can´t wait to hear if it works out for you...

More updates later.
    Hi,

I noticed that my SUUNTO power clip fits perfectly on the TS also using 4 connecting point. However I do not know how the wiring of the TS is and how it then should be changed on the clip. I think it would be much more practical to use a modified power clip vs the Omate cradle (obviously need to buy an additional SUUNTO power clip to modify). Any ideas?
    Here some pictures ;)
    Best way to check is to hook the cable to a charger and check the metal points with a multimeter and do the same thing for the cradle.
    Small update: I reversed to polarity of SUUNTO clip by changing the USB connector to match the 5V +/- of the TS cradle (pin 1 and 4); however the TS does not charge. I assume there is a bit more to it to match the SUUNTO charger cable with the cradle and get TS to charge (I am measuring different resistance in clip and cradle from pin 2 and 3). But unfortunately I am more of a desk jockey and not really technically savvy :silly:
    Maybe somebody has more info on the cradle circuit and is able to built the right charger clip. For now the non-ergonomic cradle is the only option for me.