[APP][SVC][Apr 4 2010]ReRemind V7 / Periodic audible reminders for waiting events

Search This thread

thx1200

Inactive Recognized Developer
such a great app and no feedbacks yet?? °_° very weird...

btw, this proggy is really attractive, especially the power-saving feature which avoid battery-consuming ping on notifications queue... wow great!!
there's only one thing left that is preventing me from trying this app, nad elect it as my favourite one: why can't I set a different sound for each different event?? should be easy (Ithink) to implement....?

apart from this point, wow you're great!!! if it's really so unique thanks to the ping and battery-saving option, you're the man!! I'll worship you forever!! :)

cheers

Different sounds is planned in the future. I've been busy with other apps, but will get back to this soon. :) Basically, i'll have a sound for each event, plus another sound if more than one event is active at a time.

stylez

Moderator Emeritus
I am assuming by "time out" you mean that you want it to cease notifying you after a while? If so, that is planned in the future. Thanks for trying it out!

That's the one
Just to say works a treat, was using BestReminder on SP but for some reason never worked properly on PPC for me "thought it may be m2d related but gave up".
Look forward to future releases & thankyou :)

D

Deleted member 1719473

OMG! Did you know how many reminders I try before that? About eleven! No one work for my Omnia. But this small big app work nice :D take in mind that the next month I'll do a donation for you (I'm student don't spect so much).

Thank you very much! And sorry for my bad english :D

D

Deleted member 1719473

One more thing.. if you need a spanish translation, I can do it for you :)

stylez

Moderator Emeritus
I found one problem and this will only effect Kaiser users, to be able to use the camera to the best of abilities we have to 1. launch camera 2. Sleep. 3. wait 5 secs 4. power otherwise we have a very slow fps to which the camera is blury in low light situations.
Last night tryed for first time to use camera since install software and found on boot the screen would flicker producing light and not allowing the tweak mentioned so went through the whole hard-reset and installed everything one by one "usually use SASHIMI" anyway cut a long story short with your prog it does above, then soon as removed fine even without a soft-reset, not sure if this is due to it being a service or?
Just thought i'd let you know as really like the software just a bit of a mission to uninstall everytime i want to use camera in low light, i know it will be hard to solve this especially as not going to effect othe users as device specific.
I will continue to use and will have to work out a way of quick removal, unless you have a better idea.

thx1200

I found one problem and this will only effect Kaiser users, to be able to use the camera to the best of abilities we have to 1. launch camera 2. Sleep. 3. wait 5 secs 4. power otherwise we have a very slow fps to which the camera is blury in low light situations.
Last night tryed for first time to use camera since install software and found on boot the screen would flicker producing light and not allowing the tweak mentioned so went through the whole hard-reset and installed everything one by one "usually use SASHIMI" anyway cut a long story short with your prog it does above, then soon as removed fine even without a soft-reset, not sure if this is due to it being a service or?
Just thought i'd let you know as really like the software just a bit of a mission to uninstall everytime i want to use camera in low light, i know it will be hard to solve this especially as not going to effect othe users as device specific.
I will continue to use and will have to work out a way of quick removal, unless you have a better idea.

That's a very peculiar conflict. To be honest, I have no idea how ReRemind would affect that. All it does it create some callbacks for registry changes and a notification event (like dozens of other built-in apps/services do) and wait for a change. It's 100% idle due to WM blocking the thread while it waits for the event. And the callbacks don't execute until the OS directly calls them.

I don't doubt it's causing the problem, I just can't understand why or how it would. Good luck figuring it out.

You might want to try using the shortcuts included with the app to start and stop the service (in the program files folder) since uninstalling and reinstalling is a pain.

Maybe you can create a script (using like MortScript or something) that you use to stop ReRemind, launch the camera, then when the camera quits, start ReRemind.

stylez

Moderator Emeritus
That's a very peculiar conflict. To be honest, I have no idea how ReRemind would affect that. All it does it create some callbacks for registry changes and a notification event (like dozens of other built-in apps/services do) and wait for a change. It's 100% idle due to WM blocking the thread while it waits for the event. And the callbacks don't execute until the OS directly calls them.

I don't doubt it's causing the problem, I just can't understand why or how it would. Good luck figuring it out.

You might want to try using the shortcuts included with the app to start and stop the service (in the program files folder) since uninstalling and reinstalling is a pain.

Maybe you can create a script (using like MortScript or something) that you use to stop ReRemind, launch the camera, then when the camera quits, start ReRemind.

Thanks for getting back to me and morts a very good idea that slipped my mind, will have to ask some other users regards mort :) Hadn't thought about just disabling lol
Thanks again for great app like u said, it's peculiar.
If wasn't for HTC neglecting "not sure correct word to use?" Kaiser users wouldn't be an issue.

Update: Got it tweaked by Bupahs

Needs Mort Script installed to work:
The .mscr relies on ReRemind being installed to Device Memory
The Camera folder goes in \Program Files
The Camera App.dll goes in Windows "Provides the shortcut with Icon"
The Camera App.lnk wherever wanted in Windows\Program Files
I mapped the shortcut to HButton then Mapped to AEButton for Camera "Could just use Settings\Buttons"
Have attached files for other Kaiser users.

Last edited:

guebert

May 3, 2009
How about a short doc?

Hallo!

First of all, many thanks for this great tool!

I would like to know, what the settings

* Notify while device ia awake

* Wake device before playing sound

mean.

Thx.

Michael

guebert

May 3, 2009
How to disable message box on startup?

Additional question: How can I disable the message box on startup? Is there any command line parameter?

Michael

guebert

May 3, 2009
Additional question: How can I disable the message box on startup? Is there any command line parameter?

Michael

Ok, I've found the answer on

http://reremind.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=25699

It's mentioned regarding V3 and not V4 ...

BTW, in my case, the initial installation did not configure the startup process as silent. So I had to create a link, edit this link on my desktop and copy it to the startup folder of my PPC. I'd suggest a separate "silent" EXE or configuration possibility through the config tool "Autostart [With message box|Silent|No]".

Michael

thx1200

Notify while device ia awake

The normal behavior of the app is to NOT notify you while the device is on and you are using it. You can override this behavior by checking this option. When checked, it will chime at every interval, whether your device is on or off.

Wake device before playing sound

This is a work-around for those who are using older devices where the sound driver does not work in unattended mode (the low-power state that audio chimes normally occur at when the device is off -- like ActiveSync new email sound). What this workaround does is power the device to the highest power state (awake) before playing the sound. This is the behavior that Reminders and Alarms use. Only use this if you don't hear sounds or feel vibrations with this feature off as it will eat battery a bit quicker.

thx1200

Ok, I've found the answer on

http://reremind.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=25699

It's mentioned regarding V3 and not V4 ...

BTW, in my case, the initial installation did not configure the startup process as silent. So I had to create a link, edit this link on my desktop and copy it to the startup folder of my PPC. I'd suggest a separate "silent" EXE or configuration possibility through the config tool "Autostart [With message box|Silent|No]".

Michael

I'll probably create a separate EXE for V5. thanks!

tdda

Nov 21, 2008
No Sound

Hello

I'm trying v4 my device wakes up but no sound.

I'm using the wav that comes with reremind and polaris wm6.1 with s2u2.

Thanks

sjauquet

Aug 25, 2008
Nice program who is the only one to allow reminders of all events (sms, email, tasks, missed calls and reminders)
Is there any chance to have the vibration option added soon ?
thanks a lot !

sweetpiggy

Nov 12, 2008
Naples
great apps!;)

it work on Omnia I900 + W.M. 6.5 rom (ITA London Naked by stefano92_100) :D
but it need a 'silent startup' ;) .... we waiting for update:)

n.b.
it work, with 'silet' argument in startup link ;), thx to guebert ,9

Last edited:

thx1200

great apps!;)

it work on Omnia I900 + W.M. 6.5 rom (ITA London Naked by stefano92_100) :D
but it need a 'silent startup' ;) .... we waiting for update:)

n.b.
it work, with 'silet' argument in startup link ;), thx to guebert ,9

It's notifying you on startup? Are you using V4? The installer should put a link with the silentwait option. It should read,

57#"\Program Files\ReRemind\StartReRemindSvc.exe" silentwait

Args are...
silentwait - waits ten seconds and silently starts service
silent - silently starts service immediately

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Although I do read every post here in this thread, it would make my life easier if people submitted bugs and requested features on CodePlex and saved this thread more for general discussion and peer-to-peer help. Thank you!

Submit bugs on CodePlex: http://www.codeplex.com/ReRemind/WorkItem/List.aspx
    Request features on CodePlex: http://www.codeplex.com/ReRemind/Thread/List.aspx

Overview
    ReRemind is a simple Windows Mobile service that will play a sound at a specified interval when an event is waiting your attention. This is particularly useful for devices that lack standard amber/green notification LEDs (like the Diamond / Touch Pro), but can be used with any WM device if you want audible notifications.

CodePlex
    ReRemind development is hosted at Microsoft CodePlex! http://www.codeplex.com/ReRemind

Tip Jar
    Like this app? Want more like it or quicker updates? Tip a buck (or Euro or Pound or whatever) or two to help the author out! Click here to make a safe donation via PayPal.

Current features
    - ReRemind will notify you when reminders (calendar) are active, there are missed calls, new voicemails, unread SMS, unread MMS, and/or unread email.
    - You can be reminded at any interval you specify, in minutes.
    - Rereminders can be turned off during a time span (such as overnight).
    - Play any WAV file! But sound must be less than about 10 seconds long, or it may be cut off as the device moves from UNATTENDED power state back to SUSPENDED power state.
    - Optionally vibrate device in addition to playing a sound.
    - Specify that ReRemind stops reminding after a certain number of rereminders.
    - AppToDate support
    - Very power efficient. All checks are done using the State and Notification Broker and Named Events in the notification queue. Playback is done (by default) in unattended mode. The service does not periodically "ping" because it waits for events, so it's completely idle as long as the state of the monitored events are not changing.
    - Cleans up after itself! Don't you hate it when apps use the notificaton queue but leave stale notification events lying around requiring you to run something like MemMaid to clean it up? ReRemind always checks to see if a notification is waiting when it is signalled to exit. If a notification is waiting, it clears it out.
    - TRUE SERVICE! Does NOT use one of the precious few 32 process slots on Windows Mobile. The app you see in the StartUp folder is simply to turn on the service. This is due to unsigned services being unable to autostart.
    - Can optionally work around the bug in Windows Phone 6.5 noted here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=469186

** If you edit ReRemind's settings in the registry directly, you must restart the service. This is most easily accomplished using the StopReRemindSvc and StartReRemindSvc EXEs in \Program Files\ReRemind

Planned features
    - A different WAV for each event
    - Maybe custom events by monitoring arbitrary registry locations for changes

Known Issues
    - None right now...

History - More details at CodePlex
    V7 - Added notification: unread MMS. Config app supports wav and vibration preview. Works around bug in WM6.5 where all-day reminders will not make a sound or vibrate. There are limitations, however: sound file specified in Sounds and Notifications for Reminders MUST be a WAV; AutoSnooze is not supported.
    V6.1 - Fixed a bug where VGA devices no longer could see the "select a folder" button.
    V6 - Added support for standard devices to use the config app (untested); Fixed a bug where some pre-6.1 devices detected as 6.5 devices, leading to alarm notification problems.
    V5 - Startup bug fix, WM 6.5 bug fixes, vibrate support, stop reminding after time (optional), AppToDate support.
    V4 - BETA - Fixed SMS/Email notification bugs. Deletes stale notification queue entries on startup/exit for if device crashes. Added 10 second delay to start service on boot.
    V3 - BETA - Fixed (very) minor resource leak. Silent service start options.
    V2 - ALPHA - Added Unread SMS and Email notifications. Added config app. Added messageboxes for starting/stopping service.
    V1 - ALPHA - Initial release

Detailed changelog is available on CodePlex in the notes of each version

Download
    CAB Installer: http://www.codeplex.com/ReRemind/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx
    Source Code: http://www.codeplex.com/ReRemind/SourceControl/ListDownloadableCommits.aspx

Installation
    1. Install the CAB
    2. That's it! Seriously!

Requirements
    - Windows Mobile 6.0 and newer.
    - Standard devices (no touch screen) can use the service but the config app will not work. You will need to edit the registry and restart your device to change settings.
    Hallo!

There exists a "well known" bug in WM regarding notification queue. (See http://www.thepoorhouse.org.uk/fixing_windows_mobile_task_and_event_reminders).

Fortunately I didn't have any problems with notifications under WM 2003 - 6.1 (MPX200, VDA2, X1) until I got my HTC HD mini with WM 6.5.3. :-(
    Sometimes there will be no reminder (no sound).

Now I use DotFred's Taskmanager (http://www.dotfred.net/TaskMgr.htm) to cleanup the notification queue on startup (link autostart-folder to "taskmgr.exe /nd") and CT Scheduler Lite (http://www.connectivetools.com/ctschedulerlt_ppc.html) to do this also at 12 and 17 pm.

It would be very useful, if ReRemind had such a feature to cleanup the queue (or at least call any program like TaskMgr) every time when it is going to ReRemind, because this might be because of no alarm sound by windows.

Michael

I don't have any plans to work on this project any more. I'm getting close to ending the Windows Mobile chapter of my life (bitter/sweet) and migrate to Android. As such, this is one of the projects I don't plan to continue working on as I ride off into the WM sunset (not enough time).

The source code is open source licensed and is available for download on CodePlex, so if you want to add this modification, have at it!