T-mobile 600 MHz LTE band 71 on U.S. carrier unlocked LG V30 US998

Search This thread

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
UPDATE: after two separate tweets from the U.S. T-mobile company official Twitter account stating (or implying) that LTE band 71 (600 MHz) would also be included in the "carrier unlocked" version of the LG V30, now the U.S. "T-mobile Help" (customer service) Twitter teams says they don't know. Please note this is a different department than those "T-mobile" Twitter team (management) who said yes.

But thanks to @Septfox for trying to pin down the answer, even if it's "we don't know".

Since the LTE band 71 has NOT shown up on US998 in FCC documentation, this probably means no. UNLESS:

1) LG submits a revised spec sheet to the FCC, which can be done. It would actually be in T-mobile's best interest for LG to enable that band on the "carrier unlocked" model. While T-mobile would not make money off hardware sales, they would gain additional customers who are considering switching. (Many people want a phone NOW, but need to get their ducks in a row family-wise to switch over to a new carrier.)

2) T-mobile radio can be flashed onto rooted "carrier unlocked" LG V30 US998. All the LG V30 hardware (antennas, etc) should be the same. At least from manufacturing efficiency it should be the same. Then it just depends on the firmware to enable specific bands.

_________
ORIGINAL POST:

T-mobile LTE band 71 (600 MHz) will also be available on "carrier unlocked" LG V30, not just on T-mobile's LG V30

LG V30 US998 will have ALL the U.S. carrier bands, so you can take it to any carrier you wish -- even T-mobile. Otherwise it would be pointless to have a U.S. unlocked carrier version if there were any carrier bands it did not have.

This is also the LG V30 model number that will be eligible for REAL bootloader unlock, unlike the recent T-Mobile LG G6.

______

T-mobile has LTE band 71 on their newly implemented 600 MHz spectrum and the LG V30 is the first phone to use that band.

While LG also releases "carrier unlocked" versions of their flagship phones, which qualify for REAL bootloader unlock and thus root, TWRP, custom ROMS, etc., no spec websites have listed LTE band 71 (600 MHz) on the upcoming carrier unlocked LG V30 US998. (While not yet announced, we know the model number because B&H Photo has a placeholder page and it matches previous "carrier unlocked" model sequences. It's also the model given to reviewers during the pre-announcement embargo period back in August.)

So, people assume and even T-mobile customer service reps have stated that to get LTE band 71, you must buy the T-mobile variant of the LG V30.

For people who want dev work, this was disappointing, because while T-mobile previously was dev friendly with either unlocked bootloaders or easily unlocked bootloaders, this has changed in the past year. I could give multiple examples, but the most relevant is the recent LG G6... The T-mobile LG V6 bootloader is ostensibly able to be unlocked, but not really. LG/T-mobile removed all ADB flash commands except for bootloader unlock.

All the fastboot commands have been removed on this device other than lock and unlock. Until there is a method to flash a custom recovery we can't really do anything.

Like having the keys to the car, but there's no car. In effect, the phone is still locked down. So, months later still NO root, no TWRP, nothing can be done.

Six months later, there's still no root (even with a 22 page root bounty thread), no usable TWRP and no usuable ROMs. Yes, some devs have ported ROMS for the T-mobile LG G6, but no one can use them. Meanwhile the UNLOCKED LG G6 phones have tons of dev work, because they qualify for REAL bootloader unlock.

A second subset of stakeholders are people who are considering switching to T-mobile (or T-mobile affiliated MVNOs) in the future. They would have to buy T-mobile LG V30 now to be future proof, as T-mobile will roll out more of this 600 MHz spectrum in coming years. The "carrier unlocked" model (which can be taken to ANY carrier) would not work for them, if it didn't have LTE band 71...

Then, yesterday, from the official T-mobile Twitter account, T-mobile stated that to get full 600 MHz experience, you could buy their LG V30 OR buy the unlocked version direct from LG.

http%3A%2F%2Fdl.xda-developers.com%2F4%2F2%2F6%2F8%2F8%2F5%2F4%2FT-MOBILE_600MHZ.png%3Fkey%3DB1WTCudPL4tbG2IVBuvBrQ%26ts%3D1505066021

Well, the unlocked version is LG V30 US998. And yes, while you can buy unlocked versions straight from LG if it makes you feel better, you can also buy them online at B&H, Amazon, even eBay.

https%3A%2F%2Fdl.xda-developers.com%2F4%2F2%2F6%2F0%2F9%2F0%2F1%2FScreenshot_20170902-215413.jpg%3Fkey%3D6N_0eU31XY7xqPX8VQxJqQ%26ts%3D1504465060

IF TRUE, this is great news for the dev community and for LG V30 users. This is also NEWS because no other websites are stating this. And if T-mobile is officially stating this through Twitter -- just like they have officially announced many other things, why wouldn't it be true?

I've contacted one spec website for them to correct their now outdated information, and sent it to XDA News as it's big news.

SOURCE:
https://mobile.twitter.com/TMobile/status/906909686682624000

Last edited:

anl2304

Feb 20, 2012
I must be the only person reading that Twitter quote as buyers having the option of purchasing either 1) from tmobile to get 600mhz support or 2) from lg to get the unlocked phone ( but no 600mhz support). This from the sentence structure. I hope I am wrong.

Septfox

I must be the only person reading that Twitter quote as buyers having the option of purchasing either 1) from tmobile to get 600mhz support or 2) from lg to get the unlocked phone ( but no 600mhz support). This from the sentence structure. I hope I am wrong.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who read it like this, thought I was just being paranoid :v

I did send them a tweet myself, but because I'm an idiot and tired, I didn't word it so that the "yes" replay was explicitly for the unlocked variant.
https://twitter.com/Xoftpes/status/907867685613998081

Someone else tweet'em, ask if the unlocked, non-carrier variant will have 600mhz support without having to mess with it. Just that, don't mention the T-Mobile variant at all. I'm going to bed : |

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm glad I'm not the only one who read it like this, thought I was just being paranoid :v

I did send them a tweet myself, but because I'm an idiot and tired, I didn't word it so that the "yes" replay was explicitly for the unlocked variant.

Someone else tweet'em, ask if the unlocked, non-carrier variant will have 600mhz support without having to mess with it. Just that, don't mention the T-Mobile variant at all. I'm going to bed : |

Still, this seemingly twice via Twitter they've stated/implied the unlocked carrier version of the LG V30 will also have 600 MHz LTE band 71. IF they are NOT saying that, it's very misleading. Yeah, I also parsed the original tweet, but decided it made more sense to take it at face value... Why would you have a carrier unlocked phone if it didn't have all the carrier bands? I may be wrong, and if so, I'll be the first to update the the first post.

NOTE: Please, NO ONE quote any online or phone T-mobile customer service reps. Those people don't really know about stuff like this. Yes, even at the "highest levels". And I mean that in the nicest way. [emoji14] I don't know how many times I have seen transcripts posted here on XDA "proving" something from from various customer service "chats" (escalated to the "highest level") -- which of course were totally wrong.

One example specifically was Samsung online customer service reps saying the Galaxy S8/S8+ Snapdragon U.S. "carrier unlocked" version would also have bootloader unlock? We KNEW that was wrong, even before the phone was released.

"But I have the transcripts!" Doesn't prove a thing.

At least Twitter posts from company account are considered official company statements.
And I happily accept those as proof. Even the president of T-mobile re-tweets the company's Twitter posts.

T-MOBILE_600MHZ1.png

Someone else tweet'em, ask if the unlocked, non-carrier variant will have 600mhz support without having to mess with it.
Just that, don't mention the T-Mobile variant at all.

If anyone wants to have another crack at pinning down the language, please do so. But again, only from trusted sources! Please, NO online carrier customer service reps!

From another thread, where we're discussing the same topic:

Hopefully I'm just reading too much into it, but the FCC documentation supports only the T-Mobile variant getting band 71 iirc. We'll see in a couple weeks.

In other news, apparently the 128gb variant isn't going to be that much more expensive, something like $50...but I can't remember where I saw that.

I have no explanation for the FCC findings unless there's going to be a "revised" submission or something before the US998 model is officially announced.

Last edited:

Septfox

Copying this over here:

Septfox said:
I have no explanation for the FCC findings unless there's going to be a "revised" submission or something before the US998 model is officially announced.
That would be my guess, yea. Someone over on reddit has suggested that if what T-Mobile says is true, it might mean that LG has/is going to file a class 2 permissive change so they don't have to go through all the hoops again.

----------

Other related questions are whether the unlocked V30 will support volte and/or wifi calling.

I read somewhere earlier that someone successfully used VoLTE on Verizon using an unlocked g6, no screwing around needed. No wifi calling, though.

The g6 is probably the closest thing to an actual predecessor for the v30, and as far as I've seen Verizon sets the bar highest for "how much of a pain in the ass do we want to make it for non-native-variant phones to use our features". So I would expect carrier-agnostic VoLTE/HD Voice/etc at the least, and extras like wifi calling requiring some custom tweaking to get working.

Reactions: ChazzMatt

jhill110

Oct 12, 2012
Santa Barbara
Samsung Galaxy Tab S8
At this point in smartphone history, the V30 (i.e. US Unlocked) not having wifi calling would be epically stupid. I find it hard to fathom LG would not include wifi calling on this device but then again some of these companies have a history of omitting "no-brainers" .
I'm not fond of 18:9 but will accept it. If on top of that LG leaves out wifi calling it would give me pause...
I'm with mintsim (tmo) so 600 mhz is great but wouldn't a deal breaker.

Last edited:

iworthin

Sep 14, 2017
I really hope this is wrong but...

This is what they said to me.

T-Mobile Help‏Verified account @TmobileHelp 18m18 minutes ago
More
Replying to @lovetechMedia1
Great question! You would need to purchase the T-Mobile LG V30 when it comes out in order to take advantage of our Band 71. *RickK

I am a new user so I cannot link directly to this but feel free to look it up. Maybe RickK doesn't know what he is talking about, right??

Septfox

At this point in smartphone history, the V30 (i.e. US Unlocked) not having wifi calling would be epically stupid.

The problem is, wifi calling requires support from the carrier end, probably their special app, and maybe even some special RIL and framework stuff depending on the carrier. You're on a phone that you went out of your way to not buy from them, so they're not exactly inclined to provide any of that for inclusion in the OEM's ROM.

And that's the impression I get of using unlocked phones here in the US: technically you can go to any carrier you want, but getting features beyond voice and data working pretty much depends on whether or not they decided to make things easy and use AOSP implementations (like what looks to be the case with VoLTE), or an enterprising dev manages to spackle something workable together.

... or maybe I'm full of crap, who knows. I'm on Tracfone, MVNOs don't get all this fancy stuff :v

I am a new user so I cannot link directly to this but feel free to look it up. Maybe RickK doesn't know what he is talking about, right??

https://twitter.com/LoveTechMedia1/status/908560025165086720

Considering the ambiguity of the other tweets, and the FCC entry lacking b71, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he were right.

Sure would be great if LG would respond on Twitter. I know it's an unreleased product, but come on. I really don't see the issue with providing potential customers a bit of basic information that could make or break their decision to purchase said product.

Pointing out again that, regardless of official support, it's not terribly unlikely that the hardware is the same, making enabling b71 manually a possibility. We should get one of the review unit people to try screwing with service menu settings, to start.

---------- Post added at 08:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 AM ----------

(double post because editing isn't working right)

Can't sleep, going at this again.

Between canned responses and conflicting tweets, I'm getting the impression that T-mobile doesn't actually have the information.

https://twitter.com/Xoftpes/status/908608113124577281

Last edited:

Septfox

Finally. As I suspected, T-Mobile (or at least, their Twitter team) doesn't actually know.

And it makes sense that they wouldn't; T-Mobile quite frankly doesn't need to know anything about the unlocked variant, and it's not as if LG is particularly keen on volunteering information at the moment.
They're concerned about their own variant having support, and rightfully so considering it's the first and currently only phone that does (on a somewhat related note: FCC filing says that the Pixel XL2 doesn't have it).

If it's not already in the works, I would expect LG to file a C2PC after people start complaining that their unlocked phone has an incomplete set of important bands, and failing that...aforementioned other options.

0ec584ab5e.jpg

Attachments

• v30unlocked.jpg
    v30unlocked.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 201
Reactions: ChazzMatt

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
This is what they said to me.

T-Mobile Help‏Verified account @TmobileHelp 18m18 minutes ago
More
Replying to @lovetechMedia1
Great question! You would need to purchase the T-Mobile LG V30 when it comes out in order to take advantage of our Band 71. *RickK

I told you we would laugh at any online support rep transcripts. ;) The NEVER know stuff like this or give completely the wrong answer.

NOTE: Please, NO ONE quote any online or phone T-mobile customer service reps. Those people don't really know about stuff like this. Yes, even at the "highest levels". And I mean that in the nicest way. [emoji14] I don't know how many times I have seen transcripts posted here on XDA "proving" something from from various customer service "chats" (escalated to the "highest level") -- which of course were totally wrong.

One example specifically was Samsung online customer service reps saying the Galaxy S8/S8+ Snapdragon U.S. "carrier unlocked" version would also have bootloader unlock? We KNEW that was wrong, even before the phone was released.

"But I have the transcripts!" Doesn't prove a thing.

At least Twitter posts from company account are considered official company statements.
And I happily accept those as proof. Even the president of T-mobile re-tweets the company's Twitter posts.

If anyone wants to have another crack at pinning down the language, please do so. But again, only from trusted sources! Please, NO online carrier customer service reps!

Last edited:

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Finally. As I suspected, T-Mobile (or at least, their Twitter team) doesn't actually know.

And it makes sense that they wouldn't; T-Mobile quite frankly doesn't need to know anything about the unlocked variant, and it's not as if LG is particularly keen on volunteering information at the moment.
They're concerned about their own variant having support, and rightfully so considering it's the first and currently only phone that does (on a somewhat related note: FCC filing says that the Pixel XL2 doesn't have it).

If it's not already in the works, I would expect LG to file a C2PC after people start complaining that their unlocked phone has an incomplete set of important bands, and failing that...aforementioned other options.

0ec584ab5e.jpg

Thank you, that's actually more helpful that the silly online customer support reps who give wrong answers. The company Twitter team statements are considered official, in that the T-mobile president often retweets them for new features/plans, etc. Which is why the first two tweets were NEWS, that seemingly LTE band 71 (600 MHz) would also be included in the "carrier unlocked" version of the LG V30.

UPDATE: after two separate tweets from the U.S. T-mobile company official Twitter account stating (or implying) that LTE band 71 (600 MHz) would also be included in the "carrier unlocked" version of the LG V30, now the U.S. T-mobile Twitter teams says the don't know.

Since the LTE band 71 has NOT shown up on US998 in FCC documentation, this probably means no. UNLESS:

1) LG submits a revised spec sheet to the FCC, which can be done. It would actually be in T-mobile's best interest for LG to enable that band on the "carrier unlocked" model. While T-mobile would not make money off hardware sales, they would gain additional customers who are considering switching. (Many people want a phone NOW, but need to get their ducks in a row family-wise to switch over to a new carrier.)

2) T-mobile radio can be flashed onto rooted "carrier unlocked" LG V30 US998. All the LG V30 hardware (antennas, etc) should be the same. At least from manufacturing efficiency it should be the same. Then it just depends on the firmware to enable specific bands.

Last edited:

iworthin

Sep 14, 2017
I'm laughing at you than. Because that's a tweet I shared.

Wow. Very condescending and rude. I am a new member so I couldn't link directly to my tweet and you jumped off one Chazzmatt. You started this whole thread sharing tweets and the end result.... apparently Twitter support reps know as much as online support reps. Do your just wasting everyone's time frankly. So who's laughing now? #deleteyourpost #deleteyouraccount

I told you we would laugh at any online support rep transcripts. ;) The NEVER know stuff like this or give completely the wrong answer.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Wow. Very condescending and rude. I am a new member so I couldn't link directly to my tweet and you jumped off one Chazzmatt. You started this whole thread sharing tweets and the end result.... apparently Twitter support reps know as much as online support reps. Do your just wasting everyone's time frankly. So who's laughing now? #deleteyourpost #deleteyouraccount
Not condescending or rude to reiterate customer support reps statements will not be accepted as proof.

I said that earlier in the thread, and gave proof why. Go read the hyperlink post I gave as one example. And over the years I've seen many more. Customer service reps are notoriously ill informed on technical matters.

Then customer support transcript was posted anyways? If you read the thread, I clearly asked please do not offer something like that as proof. ;)

For me, only T-Mobile or LG official company statement is acceptable, of which company Twitter account is an example.

Last edited:

iworthin

Sep 14, 2017
Your not reading what I am telling you!!

[/COLOR]"This is also NEWS because no other websites are stating this. And if T-mobile is officially stating this through Twitter -- just like they have officially announced many other things, why wouldn't it be true?" -Chazzmatt

I'm Chazzmatt. When I share TMobile tweets it's big news...when Junior members do it I laugh at them. Seriously, idiot.

Dude. You're right. Your not those things. You're just an idiot. Read my post. I shared a tweet. Which is what you shared. So you are full of it. Do people become senior members around her posting garbage or what?

Not condescending or rude to state customer support reps statements will not be accepted as proof. I said that earlier in the thread. You just didn't read the thread. ;)

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

Last edited:

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
[/COLOR]"This is also NEWS because no other websites are stating this. And if T-mobile is officially stating this through Twitter -- just like they have officially announced many other things, why wouldn't it be true?" -Chazzmatt

I'm Chazzmatt. When I share TMobile tweets it's big news...when Junior members do it I laugh at them. Seriously, idiot.

Dude. You're right. Your not those things. You're just an idiot. Read my post. I shared a tweet. Which is what you shared. So you are full of it. Do people become senior members around her posting garbage or what?

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

I'm not talking about tweets. If you shared a T-Mobile company tweet, that is legit.

I'm talking about online customer chats.

Which was it?

It was news because in two separate company tweets T-Mobile stated or implied the carrier unlocked version of the LG V30 would have LTE band 71.

Now @Septfox has pinned them down further and they say (via Twitter) they do not know.

That's where it stands.

2bb5a5364f005317407c32aa44e44a16.jpg

If you have a company tweet clearly saying no on this question, then post it. Because your first post sounded very much like online customer support chat or something.

My replies have been detailed and clear on acceptable proof.

Last edited:

iworthin

Sep 14, 2017
It is a tweet!

Dude, read what other people write. I have only ever shared valid tweets. I am beginning to suspect you have learning difficulties which prevents you from reading correctly. And I am actually going from anger and annoyance to feeling sorry for you and bad about bashing this around your head. But dude! Please just read more carefully. I am honestly baffled by this exchange. Another guy on here even linked directly to my tweet. The article that was posted based on your original response features my twitter exchanges in full color. If you paid attention, you would know this. I may be new to XDAdevelopers but I wasn't born yesterday. :eek: :eek:

I'm not talking about tweets. If you shared a T-Mobile company tweet, that is legit.

I'm talking about online customer chats.

Which was it?

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Dude, read what other people write. I have only ever shared valid tweets. I am beginning to suspect you have learning difficulties which prevents you from reading correctly. And I am actually going from anger and annoyance to feeling sorry for you and bad about bashing this around your head. But dude! Please just read more carefully. I am honestly baffled by this exchange. Another guy on here even linked directly to my tweet. The article that was posted based on your original response features my twitter exchanges in full color. If you paid attention, you would know this. I may be new to XDAdevelopers but I wasn't born yesterday. :eek: :eek:
I saw @Septfox Twitter post, where T-Mobile now says they don't know.

I initially did not see where he posted YOUR Twitter link also. I thought that was still his and since he posted screenshot of his, there was no need to click on it. But I went looking for it and found it.

Screenshot_20170915-095121.png

Look, we're all here looking for information and trying to help each other. All you had to say was, "it's not customer support transcript". I clearly thought it was, and said so in my post.

Last edited:

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia

0ec584ab5e.jpg

Original posts (plural) saying yes or implying it were from "T-Mobile" account while these two latest are from "T-Mobile Help". I KNOW T-Mobile customer service ("Help") has been told to say you have to buy T-Mobile branded phone.

I was hoping "T-Mobile" knew something "T-Mobile Help" did not.

And yes, I hope LG files C2PC with FCC to enable that band on the carrier unlocked version. It would benefit both LG and T-Mobile.

Last edited:

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: after two separate tweets from the U.S. T-mobile company official Twitter account stating (or implying) that LTE band 71 (600 MHz) would also be included in the "carrier unlocked" version of the LG V30, now the U.S. "T-mobile Help" (customer service) Twitter teams says they don't know. Please note this is a different department than those "T-mobile" Twitter team (management) who said yes.

But thanks to @Septfox for trying to pin down the answer, even if it's "we don't know".

_________
    ORIGINAL POST:

T-mobile LTE band 71 (600 MHz) will also be available on "carrier unlocked" LG V30, not just on T-mobile's LG V30

LG V30 US998 will have ALL the U.S. carrier bands, so you can take it to any carrier you wish -- even T-mobile. Otherwise it would be pointless to have a U.S. unlocked carrier version if there were any carrier bands it did not have.

This is also the LG V30 model number that will be eligible for REAL bootloader unlock, unlike the recent T-Mobile LG G6.

______

T-mobile has LTE band 71 on their newly implemented 600 MHz spectrum and the LG V30 is the first phone to use that band.

While LG also releases "carrier unlocked" versions of their flagship phones, which qualify for REAL bootloader unlock and thus root, TWRP, custom ROMS, etc., no spec websites have listed LTE band 71 (600 MHz) on the upcoming carrier unlocked LG V30 US998. (While not yet announced, we know the model number because B&H Photo has a placeholder page and it matches previous "carrier unlocked" model sequences. It's also the model given to reviewers during the pre-announcement embargo period back in August.)

So, people assume and even T-mobile customer service reps have stated that to get LTE band 71, you must buy the T-mobile variant of the LG V30.

For people who want dev work, this was disappointing, because while T-mobile previously was dev friendly with either unlocked bootloaders or easily unlocked bootloaders, this has changed in the past year. I could give multiple examples, but the most relevant is the recent LG G6... The T-mobile LG V6 bootloader is ostensibly able to be unlocked, but not really. LG/T-mobile removed all ADB flash commands except for bootloader unlock.

All the fastboot commands have been removed on this device other than lock and unlock. Until there is a method to flash a custom recovery we can't really do anything.

Like having the keys to the car, but there's no car. In effect, the phone is still locked down. So, months later still NO root, no TWRP, nothing can be done.

Six months later, there's still no root (even with a 22 page root bounty thread), no usable TWRP and no usuable ROMs. Yes, some devs have ported ROMS for the T-mobile LG G6, but no one can use them. Meanwhile the UNLOCKED LG G6 phones have tons of dev work, because they qualify for REAL bootloader unlock.

A second subset of stakeholders are people who are considering switching to T-mobile (or T-mobile affiliated MVNOs) in the future. They would have to buy T-mobile LG V30 now to be future proof, as T-mobile will roll out more of this 600 MHz spectrum in coming years. The "carrier unlocked" model (which can be taken to ANY carrier) would not work for them, if it didn't have LTE band 71...

Then, yesterday, from the official T-mobile Twitter account, T-mobile stated that to get full 600 MHz experience, you could buy their LG V30 OR buy the unlocked version direct from LG.

http%3A%2F%2Fdl.xda-developers.com%2F4%2F2%2F6%2F8%2F8%2F5%2F4%2FT-MOBILE_600MHZ.png%3Fkey%3DB1WTCudPL4tbG2IVBuvBrQ%26ts%3D1505066021

Well, the unlocked version is LG V30 US998. And yes, while you can buy unlocked versions straight from LG if it makes you feel better, you can also buy them online at B&H, Amazon, even eBay.

https%3A%2F%2Fdl.xda-developers.com%2F4%2F2%2F6%2F0%2F9%2F0%2F1%2FScreenshot_20170902-215413.jpg%3Fkey%3D6N_0eU31XY7xqPX8VQxJqQ%26ts%3D1504465060

IF TRUE, this is great news for the dev community and for LG V30 users. This is also NEWS because no other websites are stating this. And if T-mobile is officially stating this through Twitter -- just like they have officially announced many other things, why wouldn't it be true?

I've contacted one spec website for them to correct their now outdated information, and sent it to XDA News as it's big news.

SOURCE:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/TMobile/status/906909686682624000
    Yep. T-mobile just protecting IP I suppose. But honestly rsa encryption is not that terribly hard to break nowadays. I don't completely understand how the modem partition alone is protected from being flashed, is it itself encrypted or just stores a key pair some where? How is rsa factored into the mix for that partition only, if you don't mind me asking...

Two ways it's factored in: (1) LGUP won't flash a partition if RSA cert of the KDZ doesn't match the phone. (2) Phone won't boot if partitions have RSA certs not matching those stored on the phone. The latter is relaxed for a few partitions (system, recovery, boot, laf...) when bootloader is unlocked.

That's why it's critical to restore a phone to complete stock before relocking BL. I believe it's a hard brick, otherwise, but not sure.

Qualcomm kindly came up with all this to make your life harder, and make sure only qualified thieves can hack you phone :cowboy:

Just to be clear, are you confirming that you're using the unlocked version US998 and both volte and TMobile WiFi calling are working? That would be very important for me to understand in that I rely on TMobile WiFi calling. In my situation, I would definitely go with the unlocked version for the benefit of root in the future.

The US Cellular version has the same model number as the unlocked version. I have the US Cellular version. I use it on T-Mobile. WiFi calling and VoLTE work.
    Two ways it's factored in: (1) LGUP won't flash a partition if RSA cert of the KDZ doesn't match the phone. (2) Phone won't boot if partitions have RSA certs not matching those stored on the phone. The latter is relaxed for a few partitions (system, recovery, boot, laf...) when bootloader is unlocked.

That's why it's critical to restore a phone to complete stock before relocking BL. I believe it's a hard brick, otherwise, but not sure.

Qualcomm kindly came up with all this to make your life harder, and make sure only qualified thieves can hack you phone :cowboy:
    Well QC is much more brilliant than that I am sure ;). This type of hw security is a perfect selling point to ODMs and Carriers and probably one of the many options they try to get them in on.
    And now it is clicking for me again. Thanks. It is all part of the boot chain. I forget that all QC based SoC are designed basically the same way.