EK-GC120 Verizon Update

Search This thread

swjpilot

I have been notified of an update for my EK-GC120 (6ca5626c77cd.update_EK-GC120_GC120VRALL2_To_GC120VRAMC4_FWD-1.zip) is the file i pulled from the cache folder but it refuses to apply to my camera. Is there an alternate recovery available anywhere for this device? TWRP or CWM? I have posted the update here I am hoping it includes the remote viewfinder functionality that was originally missing from this version.
http://d-h.st/users/swjpilot/?fld_id=16995#files

Update: I had changed the GmsCore.apk file...luckily i had backed it up. After restoring the original file the update applied is applying....Hopefully Root will remain will post update as soon as it completes.

Update: SuperSU says it was able to restore Root Access whoohoo!

Last Update: This does finally bring the Remote Viewfinder capability to the stock camera app.

Last edited:

perlmane

Dec 19, 2006
New Jersey
I have been notified of an update for my EK-GC120 (6ca5626c77cd.update_EK-GC120_GC120VRALL2_To_GC120VRAMC4_FWD-1.zip) is the file i pulled from the cache folder but it refuses to apply to my camera. Is there an alternate recovery available anywhere for this device? TWRP or CWM? I have posted the update here I am hoping it includes the remote viewfinder functionality that was originally missing from this version.
http://d-h.st/users/swjpilot/?fld_id=16995#files

Update: I had changed the GmsCore.apk file...luckily i had backed it up. After restoring the original file the update applied is applying....Hopefully Root will remain will post update as soon as it completes.

Update: SuperSU says it was able to restore Root Access whoohoo!

Last Update: This does finally bring the Remote Viewfinder capability to the stock camera app.

I give up. How did you root this device in the first place?

perlmane

Dec 19, 2006
New Jersey
I would try installing Kies and having it restore the firmware. It will most likely put you back on the original firmware but i don't know that for sure. Worst thing that could happen is a factory reset of your device and you stay on your current code level.

VZW products do not support Kies firmware updates. 4.1.1 does not seem to be available anywhere for this device.

swjpilot

perlmane

Dec 19, 2006
New Jersey

Jiggity Janx

Feb 19, 2010
I give up. How did you root this device in the first place?
ExynosAbuseAPK before the first update. You may be able to ODIN back to 4.1.1, run that tool then keep your root through the subsequent OTA's.
If you are still around can you confirm you used the "Exynos" Abuse apk to root your Verizon GC120. The Samsung specs page for it aren't clear about whether it's an Exynos quad core using a qualcomm board or an entire qualcomm chipset/board. Thanks!

And if anyone Verizon has found a way to root the current Verizon version and/or the odin file for 4.1.1 please reply here or let me know! Thanks!

Jiggity Janx

Feb 19, 2010
Another thing I learned while I had my ATT galaxy tab 8.9 was that Samsung likes to use the same hardware in their South Korean version of their devices with cellular and in their US devices with cellular. It's almost certainly because of the LTE requirement. Wouldn't you know that such is the case with the Galaxy Camera. The South Korean version of the camera has a Qualcomm board just like the Verizon one. Maybe the firmware for it, which can be found on Sammobile at the link below, can be helpful.

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/1/?model=EK-KC120S&pcode=0

EDIT: To clarify more, the Korean version uses a Qualcomm 9215 baseband board with Exynos 4412 while the Verizon version (based on Samsung own specs page) uses a Qualcomm 9615 which has it's own applications processor.

Last edited:

Jiggity Janx

Feb 19, 2010
CPU Z says the Verizon GC120 DOES use the Exynos 4412 (smdk4x12). It makes no mention of the Qualcomm board on Samsungs' own specs page. They don't make this easy...

Still need any Verizon build anyone has (original 4.1.1 or 4.1.2 update which should be found in /cache).

Last edited:
I know you think no one else could possibly know better than you but the link in the op leads to nothing.

E:V:A said that a few posts up. I dunno what your problem is, but the more specific the file name, the better chance of finding the right file. If this section were labelled "Jiggity Janx" and not "Galaxy Camera Android Development" I would be directing every post to you. It isn't, and I'm not.

Edit: Did you try editing the build.prop with the values for the old version and attempting to do a system update? I have not researched how FOTA determines eligibility, but if it is like any normal system app, it uses the system properties.

Last edited:

Jiggity Janx

Feb 19, 2010
E:V:A said that a few posts up. I dunno what your problem is, but the more specific the file name, the better chance of finding the right file. If this section were labelled "Jiggity Janx" and not "Galaxy Camera Android Development" I would be directing every post to you. It isn't, and I'm not.

edited out...

You can still likely see what was written in your thread quote notification but it doesnt need to be hashed out here.

Last edited:
My problem here starts and ends with you. You cant expect to come across the way you do belittleing or correcting everyone every chance you get and then wonder why someone responds that way to something that appears to be a comment directed at the very last thing stated in the post immediately before yours. You dont get to have it both ways and then act innocent and deflect when you are called out on it.

It isn't about feelings, its about development.

Did you try editing the build.prop with the values for the old version and attempting to do a system update? I have not researched how FOTA determines eligibility, but if it is like any normal system app, it uses the system properties.

Last edited:

Jiggity Janx

Feb 19, 2010
It isn't about feelings, its about development.

Did you try editing the build.prop with the values for the old version and attempting to do a system update? I have not researched how FOTA determines eligibility, but if it is like any normal system app, it uses the system properties.

Github/Sourcforge - post technical information for development, no interaction or FEELINGS required
XDA - development FORUM that requires HUMAN interaction

Now....

I appreciate the robotic side of you not taking anything to heart and continuing to want to assist. Unfortunately I have to return the model I received as I immediately noticed it had the vzw demo app on it and that the screen wouldn't time out. That means it was a verizon floor model and is unusable as intended. I am returning that one for a full refund but already have another on the way that I have been guaranteed does not have that problem (for $25 less even).

So long story short I am only willing to mess with the files so much. I know one wrong move with the build.prop could cause it not to boot and without a way to restore am not willing to take that chance with one I have to return. I will be able to do more than pull files from the other one once I receive it (and have time).

Thank you again for assisting us all with development on this device.

Github/Sourcforge - post technical information for development, no interaction or FEELINGS required
XDA - development FORUM that requires HUMAN interaction

Now....

I appreciate the robotic side of you not taking anything to heart and continuing to want to assist. Unfortunately I have to return the model I received as I immediately noticed it had the vzw demo app on it and that the screen wouldn't time out. That means it was a verizon floor model and is unusable as intended. I am returning that one for a full refund but already have another on the way that I have been guaranteed does not have that problem (for $25 less even).

So long story short I am only willing to mess with the files so much. I know one wrong move with the build.prop could cause it not to boot and without a way to restore am not willing to take that chance with one I have to return. I will be able to do more than pull files from the other one once I receive it (and have time).

Thank you again for assisting us all with development on this device.

Look at the number of developers who have left xda butt-hurt about some comment a nameless, faceless text blob made about them because of how they read it. The device suffers, the users suffer, and some kid is up in his room crying about a hobby gone wrong.

As for the rollback, it was only theory anyway so if there is any doubt about what to change its better to find an alternative. If you could get images of the partitions from stock condition, it is possible to build the install. At least that is all done off the device where it won't corrupt anything. You could root, get the system, data, cache, and boot then merge those with the Korean release to fill in the missing parts. To the best of my knowledge, the bootloader and such are not region specific. That should be verified first, though, because you can't go back later.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone still have the boot.img for the latest verizon? Even the full update will work to extract it. This is the only missing piece to extending the custom kernel to all variants.