[Q] Bootloop? Brick?

Search This thread

JMBush1007

Mar 2, 2014
Hey everyone! I'm having issues booting my phone up. It might be bricked because one night my phone was working and the next morning it wouldn't boot at all after having not made any changes. I've messed around with it a lot, installing and wiping things. Anyway, I'd just like to make sure I've exhausted all attempts at getting the thing to boot again.

I am S-On, and have tried to use rumrunner to get s-off but was getting an error saying no adb connection. I wasn't able to turn off fastboot as instructed since I can't boot, but I have been able to run some adb commands. I get error: device not found sometimes and error: closed others. I have been using the windroid toolkit. I have tried running the ruu exe (yes, I first relocked) but got an error 155 and my bootloader said "HBoot Version is older!" I have installed several OTA roms and they seem to install properly through the recovery (I have been using TWRP, CWM and amonRa) but then do not make it to home screen. I had some progress where I was initially getting stuck at the white HTC screen, after flashing a kernel, I think it was, I made it to the 4G LTE screen but then it hung up there.

Hmm, I've done a lot of searching and trying things, but hopefully yall can help! I appreciate your efforts either way :)

Here are my getvars from fastboot

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 2.28.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 2.23.10.0123r/2.23.10.0124r
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) product: vigor
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8260
(bootloader) modelid: PH9810000
(bootloader) cidnum: VZW__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4144mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: cecc19f7
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.498s

Thanks!

Last edited:

acejavelin

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Hey everyone! I'm having issues booting my phone up. It might be bricked because one night my phone was working and the next morning it wouldn't boot at all after having not made any changes. I've messed around with it a lot, installing and wiping things. Anyway, I'd just like to make sure I've exhausted all attempts at getting the thing to boot again.

I am S-On, and have tried to use rumrunner to get s-off but was getting an error saying no adb connection. I wasn't able to turn off fastboot as instructed since I can't boot, but I have been able to run some adb commands. I get error: device not found sometimes and error: closed others. I have been using the windroid toolkit. I have tried running the ruu exe (yes, I first relocked) but got an error 155 and my bootloader said "HBoot Version is older!" I have installed several OTA roms and they seem to install properly through the recovery (I have been using TWRP, CWM and amonRa) but then do not make it to home screen. I had some progress where I was initially getting stuck at the white HTC screen, after flashing a kernel, I think it was, I made it to the 4G LTE screen but then it hung up there.

Hmm, I've done a lot of searching and trying things, but hopefully yall can help! I appreciate your efforts either way :)

Thanks!
You need to get it bootable before you can S-OFF with Rumrunner... Unlock the bootloader again, boot or flash your recovery of choice (TWRP/PhilZ/CWM), wipe EVERYTHING thoroughly, at least 3 times, then flash in Tachyon to get it up and working (if you flashed the recovery and started it from the phone, remember to manually push the boot.img with fastboot). Give it time to boot, the first boot can take 10+ minutes in some cases. Once it is booted and stable, then you can try to S-OFF again.

Reactions: pball52998

JMBush1007

Mar 2, 2014
You need to get it bootable before you can S-OFF with Rumrunner... Unlock the bootloader again, boot or flash your recovery of choice (TWRP/PhilZ/CWM), wipe EVERYTHING thoroughly, at least 3 times, then flash in Tachyon to get it up and working (if you flashed the recovery and started it from the phone, remember to manually push the boot.img with fastboot). Give it time to boot, the first boot can take 10+ minutes in some cases. Once it is booted and stable, then you can try to S-OFF again.

Hi acejavelin, thanks for the reply!

So, I was finally able to get it to boot again.. I put evervolv on it and then ran rumrunner once I had it booted. After running and getting most of the way through rumrunner, I got stuck in another boot loop. It seemed like rumrunner corrupted it or something. I couldn't it to book back up at that point, but I am now showing s-off! Not sure if it's possible to be halfway s-off or showing s-off but not, but the rumrunner never finished it got to pouring (2)... so I don't know.

Right now, I have evervolv on again (after trying many others) and it seems to be somewhat stable. I'm thinking I have a hardware issue. Something seems to be faulty and only working half the time. I tried a few different RUUs, OTA global rooted roms, etc.. Tachyon, cleanrom 4.5 pro, plain andy, carbon, etc. I have also been using Cleanwipe 10x before flashing new roms. Everything is unstable, so unfortunately, like I said, it seems to be hardware.

I have another rezound that has a bad ESN because I thought it was stolen, til I found it months later. It looks difficult, but possible to change the ESN.. I was thinking I could just switch the ESN and MEIDs and use the other phone? Any other suggestions on how to isolate the issue or find some stability would be very much appreciated. Thanks for the help!

kcipopnevets

Oct 6, 2013
Brooklyn
Glad you got your answer! Also, cloning your IMEI and ESN is illegal and a major criminal offense. I suggest you don't go down that route.

acejavelin

Inactive Recognized Contributor

So, I was finally able to get it to boot again.. I put evervolv on it and then ran rumrunner once I had it booted. After running and getting most of the way through rumrunner, I got stuck in another boot loop. It seemed like rumrunner corrupted it or something. I couldn't it to book back up at that point, but I am now showing s-off! Not sure if it's possible to be halfway s-off or showing s-off but not, but the rumrunner never finished it got to pouring (2)... so I don't know.

Right now, I have evervolv on again (after trying many others) and it seems to be somewhat stable. I'm thinking I have a hardware issue. Something seems to be faulty and only working half the time. I tried a few different RUUs, OTA global rooted roms, etc.. Tachyon, cleanrom 4.5 pro, plain andy, carbon, etc. I have also been using Cleanwipe 10x before flashing new roms. Everything is unstable, so unfortunately, like I said, it seems to be hardware.

I have another rezound that has a bad ESN because I thought it was stolen, til I found it months later. It looks difficult, but possible to change the ESN.. I was thinking I could just switch the ESN and MEIDs and use the other phone? Any other suggestions on how to isolate the issue or find some stability would be very much appreciated. Thanks for the help!
The result you got with rumrunner is very common, not sure exactly what it corrupts (probably the boot partition) but it is common to for it to freeze/bootloop after going S-OFF, as long as it's S-OFF in the bootloader, it is S-OFF... there is no "kinda S-OFF". Just restore the backup you did before running rumrunner (you did a Nandroid first, right:) ) or reflash your ROM and Gapps, no worries, this is kinda normal.

As far as the "most stable" ROM, this seems to vary a lot on the person, configuration/apps, ROM, and hardware build, some ROMs are better than others under various conditions and trial and error is the only real way to find out. Some Rezounds just do not like KitKat, others don't like JellyBean, etc... so if are having lots of issues with one, try a different one. A few ROMs you didn't mention that I think are very good on the Rezound are EclipticRez Revamped v9 (this is the most stable non-stock ROM I tried) and Nils Business Sense that are both ICS based, Beanstalk and Talon are two really good under-rated JellyBean ROMs just remember that some JB ROMs can swap your internal and external storage around in mounts (they appear swapped when the phone is booted, this is not really a bug if you see it). But to be honest, if you are flashing http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2260154 or gone through @REV3NT3CH's full downgrade/upgrade guide and are still having issues, it could very well be hardware issues.

And yes, @kcipopnevets is correct... ESN/MEID swapping is illegal, although I don't know how much of a "major criminal offense" it is. But generally it is considered fraudulent activity and a violation of your terms of service on your cellular plan as well.

Reactions: JMBush1007

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks!

The result you got with rumrunner is very common, not sure exactly what it corrupts (probably the boot partition) but it is common to for it to freeze/bootloop after going S-OFF, as long as it's S-OFF in the bootloader, it is S-OFF... there is no "kinda S-OFF". Just restore the backup you did before running rumrunner (you did a Nandroid first, right:) ) or reflash your ROM and Gapps, no worries, this is kinda normal.

As far as the "most stable" ROM, this seems to vary a lot on the person, configuration/apps, ROM, and hardware build, some ROMs are better than others under various conditions and trial and error is the only real way to find out. Some Rezounds just do not like KitKat, others don't like JellyBean, etc... so if are having lots of issues with one, try a different one. A few ROMs you didn't mention that I think are very good on the Rezound are EclipticRez Revamped v9 (this is the most stable non-stock ROM I tried) and Nils Business Sense that are both ICS based, Beanstalk and Talon are two really good under-rated JellyBean ROMs just remember that some JB ROMs can swap your internal and external storage around in mounts (they appear swapped when the phone is booted, this is not really a bug if you see it). But to be honest, if you are flashing http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2260154 or gone through @REV3NT3CH's full downgrade/upgrade guide and are still having issues, it could very well be hardware issues.

And yes, @kcipopnevets is correct... ESN/MEID swapping is illegal, although I don't know how much of a "major criminal offense" it is. But generally it is considered fraudulent activity and a violation of your terms of service on your cellular plan as well.