Google Car Home

Search This thread

tdavis42

Jul 29, 2009
Orange County, CA
Tonight Google released Car Home as an independent app in the market. It has a ton of improvements like assignable buttons and drag and drop icons. I can't get it to download with Cyanogen(Koush) nightly 09302010 but I know I can through ADB.
Let me know if you can get it to install through the market.

usn.mustanger

Jul 22, 2010
I was able to get it to install from the market on Skyraider Vanilla 3.0 RC3. Works well except for the fact that you cannot assign shortcuts to the customisable buttons (e.g. direct dial shortcuts), only app and navigation shortcuts. Seems like a peculiar oversight.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using XDA app.

jimbobalu

Jan 26, 2010
Minneapolis
I got Car Dock to install from the market after deleting the old car home apk but I cannot see an icon in my apps listing. I checked under Applications-Manage Apps and it is there. Any ideas?

Last edited:

crow26

Sep 26, 2010
EDIT: Nevermind. AppBrain allowed me to download it. To those who can't get it from the official Market, use AppBrain.

Last edited:

tdiman

Jun 30, 2010
Dedham, MA
CyanogenMod CarHome Instructions

Car home contains two components, the activity (this is the app we're updating) and the launcher. The activity contains the guts of the program, but the Launcher allows it to show up in the app drawer.

If you're using CM6, you have CarHomeLauncher.apk already in system/app and just need to install the com.google.android.carhome-1.apk file. If you are not using CM6, then you may need to install both the Launcher and the carhome apk if the carhome app doesn't show up in the app drawer.

adb remount
adb shell
mv /system/app/CarHomeGoogle.apk CarHomeGoogle.apk.bak

install attached apks. Let me know if there's issues.

As an aside, both LauncherPro and ADW have the capabilities to create shortcuts for activities, bypassing the need of the Launcher, but it still will not show up in the drawer.

Attachments

• com.google.android.carhome-1.apk
    587 KB · Views: 5,922
  • CarHomeLauncher.apk
    14.7 KB · Views: 6,779
Last edited:

jimbobalu

Jan 26, 2010
Minneapolis
When I installed from the market it put com.google.android.carhome-1.apk in the /data/app folder, is this the correct location?

When I go to the app from appbrain it shows it as installed but the open button is grayed out.

Reading the app comments it looks like you can't launch it independently anymore but will launch when placed in the dock, I have yet to verify this.

Works, but has to be in the dock.

Last edited:

mozetti

May 9, 2010
I'm running a Sense ROM (Virtuous 2.7) and I installed the Google Car Home using Appbrain. If you click on the Sense Car Panel App in your drawer, you're presented with a pop-up to choose which app you want to use: Sense Car Panel or Google Car Home. I just checked the "use as default" box and selected the Google Car Home. Now when I click the "Car Panel" icon in my app drawer the Google Car Home launches instead of the Sense Car Panel.

TheLynxy

Jun 29, 2010
If you're using ADW.Launcher, you can make a new Custom Shortcut, choosing ADW's Activity List, then selecting Car Home's main activity CarHome(.CarHome)

You can then launch it fine without any problems without needing a dock. Atleast it works for me...

fgarcia10

May 23, 2005
DMV

The key here is to leave the CarHomeLauncher.apk alone in system/app. This way it will show up in the app drawer.

adb remount
adb shell

Thats in, now install Car Home from App Brain (don't know why it won't show up in the Market).

Alternatively, APK is attached, although unverified if this works.

Thanks for posting the APP, it wasn't showing for me in AppBrain or the Market.

iLHaNroID

Apr 21, 2010
I hv installed Google Car Home app yesterday and cannot see it in app drawer, nor in the applications settings despite it is shown in downloads tab in the market app, but open button is inactive. How to run and use it? confused!

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

tdiman

Jun 30, 2010
Dedham, MA
I hv installed Google Car Home app yesterday and cannot see it in app drawer, nor in the applications settings despite it is shown in downloads tab in the market app, but open button is inactive. How to run and use it? confused!

I updated my post with a link to a Launcher APK. Install it and it should allow car home to show up in the app drawer. It is from CM6.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8404454&postcount=9

iLHaNroID

Apr 21, 2010
Thank you so much tdiman.. it is now working... happy :)
just wondering why it is not working orginally and why google retrieved it from the market

NYC Coyote

Apr 28, 2010
New York
I added the app from a link I found on droid-life. You don't need a home replacement as they state.....

I simply used BetterCut to place the "activity" of the car home on my screen. Once in I started customizing things like removing the Music Icon (since it doesn't work) and replaced it with Mixzing. I also removed the People Icon and Dialer as I can just use the Voice Search to do everything in the car so I don't need to look at the phone.

My only wishes for this: that you could add toggle widgets (such as Vlingo's Safereader) and that google would allow Bluetooth to initiate voice search instead of a call directly.

tdiman

Jun 30, 2010
Dedham, MA
Thank you so much tdiman.. it is now working... happy :)
just wondering why it is not working orginally and why google retrieved it from the market

You're welcome!

You can't install it in the first place because you can't update apps in system/app through the Marketplace. This is also probably why it doesn't show up in the Marketplace - Verizon doesn't sell any "google experience" phones so they disallow it on Verizon (this is just a theory).

The reason it didn't show up for you might be because whatever ROM you have installed (default HTC Incredible ROM?) doesn't have the Launcher built in.

iLHaNroID

Apr 21, 2010
It is working but there are some bugs, which can be the reason why Google retrieved it back from market; I get FC when trying to set a custom background from gallery and also as soon as tap on the "android settings" option in the app settings menu.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Car home contains two components, the activity (this is the app we're updating) and the launcher. The activity contains the guts of the program, but the Launcher allows it to show up in the app drawer.

If you're using CM6, you have CarHomeLauncher.apk already in system/app and just need to install the com.google.android.carhome-1.apk file. If you are not using CM6, then you may need to install both the Launcher and the carhome apk if the carhome app doesn't show up in the app drawer.

adb remount
    adb shell

install attached apks. Let me know if there's issues.

As an aside, both LauncherPro and ADW have the capabilities to create shortcuts for activities, bypassing the need of the Launcher, but it still will not show up in the drawer.
    ah i found it...

carhome 2.2.1.4 (still needs launcher though from this thread)

not sure what has been updated though!

i also ended up swapping voice search -> voice dialler - found it worked much better with BT headset too (hold down 2 seconds for voice dial)
    Where is the information that shows this is a product made by google?