Search This thread

oseven

Sep 2, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Sorry about the lack of pictures. I'm an iPhone convert so I don't visit this site anymore so I didn't notice they'd gone. But to all those who didn't realise there was a PDF of the guide, I've re-uploaded the pictures from a new source so they're up again.

I've also received a lot of messages from members asking if I would repair their Elf or change the housing etc, so I just wanted to say that yes I am happy to do this (I'm in the UK), so just drop me a PM if you want.

This is a guide to illustrate how to completely disassemble the HTC Touch, including the digitizer

What you need:

T5 Screwdriver
#2 Screwdriver
Plastic opening tools

DSC02024-1.jpg

If you want to be on the safe side I’d also recommend using anti static gloves

To start, remove the back cover by pushing it upwards and sliding it off

DSC02020-1.jpg
DSC02018-1.jpg

Remove the battery and stylus

Using the T5 screwdriver remove the 4 screws at each corner of the main chassis

DSC020731.jpg

Last edited:

oseven

Sep 2, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Remove the rear speaker at the top of the main chassis by lifting it off

DSC02023-2-1.jpg

To remove the front housing, use a plastic tool to get between the front part of the case and the chrome rim. Work it around the edge to release all of the catches

DSC02025-1.jpg
DSC02026-1.jpg

Now you need to disconnect the front housing from the mainboard by using a plastic tool to gently lift the connection from the mainboard

DSC02027-1.jpg

Last edited:

oseven

Sep 2, 2007
London, United Kingdom
DSC02030-1.jpg

Next, disconnect the vibration part by lifting the red and black wired connection from the mainboard

DSC02031-1.jpg

To remove the mainboard from the chassis, gently pull the USB connection upwards. Once it is just out, pull it clear using the sides – avoid touching it as much as possible

DSC02037-2.jpg
DSC02038-2.jpg

Last edited:

oseven

Sep 2, 2007
London, United Kingdom
To remove the camera, simply pull it away from the mainboard in the same way as the front housing separates from the mainboard

DSC02071-2.jpg
DSC02072-2.jpg

To take the LCD out, you need to first disconnect it. To do so, first remove the yellow tape that lies over the connection

DSC02040-2.jpg
DSC02041-2.jpg

Last edited:

oseven

Sep 2, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Next, open the catch holding the ribbon cable in place, and pull it out

DSC02044.jpg

You will now be able to pull the LCD out without having the remove the LCD’s metal chassis as the ribbon will pull through the back of it

DSC02045.jpg
DSC02046.jpg

If you need to remove the LCD’s metal chassis, use the T5 screwdriver to undo the 2 screws beneath it, and it will come off

DSC02035-1.jpg

Last edited:

oseven

Sep 2, 2007
London, United Kingdom
DSC02049.jpg

To remove the digitizer, you need to first disconnect it from the circuitboard behind the keypad by undoing the catch and pulling it out

DSC02055.jpg
DSC02057.jpg

Although not necessary, I would advise you to remove the circuitboard behind the keypad before the digitizer incase it is damaged during the process

To do this, simply remove the 2 screws holding it in place using the #2 screwdriver

DSC02058.jpg

Last edited:

oseven

Sep 2, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Then pull the board out by levering it up with the plastic tools. This may take some fiddling but it will come out by gently pulling it while sliding it upwards at the same time

DSC02059-1.jpg

DSC02060-1.jpg

The keypad will now easily come out

DSC02061-1.jpg

To continue with removing the digitizer, push it forwards from behind by pushing on the corners. It is stuck in with a type of glue so it may feel as if it won’t come out but it will

DSC02062.jpg

Last edited:

oseven

Sep 2, 2007
London, United Kingdom
DSC02063.jpg

The digitizer’s ribbon cable will then slide out of the hole on the front housing

DSC02064.jpg

To remove the earpiece speaker from the front housing, simply lever it up using the plastic tool or carefully with a screwdriver

DSC02065.jpg
DSC02067-2.jpg

Last edited:

oseven

Sep 2, 2007
London, United Kingdom
The vibration part from the main chassis easily pulls out

DSC02068-2.jpg

The on/off button, camera button and the SIM and MicroSD card holder door will easily remove from the main chassis by lifting them out

DSC02069-2.jpg

To remove the speaker from the back you simply need to lever it out

DSC02050.jpg
DSC02051.jpg

This will hopefully help you to replace the housing on your device, or replace faulty parts

Good luck!

Last edited:

ayyu3m

Oct 19, 2007
System Error
WOW! Just simply WOW! Fantastic guide man. And so much clarity by using the blue background and crystal clear pics. This shud be made a sticky. I have never seen such a thorough and clean and clear cut disassembling guide. You are surely the DISASSEMBLER guru. :D

l3v5y

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 13, 2007
Bristol
Very useful if I get a Touch!

By the way, I like the IMEI in picture number 3! :)

EDIT: actually, 4 and 5 has an even better shot...

Last edited:

oseven

Sep 2, 2007
London, United Kingdom
WOW! Just simply WOW! Fantastic guide man. And so much clarity by using the blue background and crystal clear pics. This shud be made a sticky. I have never seen such a thorough and clean and clear cut disassembling guide. You are surely the DISASSEMBLER guru. :D

;)
I just remember how little information there was when I originally wanted to change my housing so it stopped me doing it until I broke my first Touch and had nothing to lose. I found one guide but it only showed as far as removing the front case...not the digitizer or anything else. But hopefully this will give newbies the confidence to try it because it's really not difficult :)

l3v5y

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 13, 2007
Bristol
So erm... can I PDF it? The pics alone make it a good 'un. Full credit of course,then I can add it to the collection. There again you could do it, might take me a good while with all those pics and comments.

What dya say? - buy you a pint!
Mike
I think guides like this can only add to things!

I'm bored ATM so I'll turn it into a PDF if no one else can be bothered!

l3v5y

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 13, 2007
Bristol
Done!

Took longer than it might have as I can't code and make pdfs at the same time!

Last edited by a moderator: