[Q] Logitech Bluetooth Keyb. doesn't do foreign lang. characters (ö, ä, ü) on Android

Search This thread

Parinibbana

Dec 28, 2013
I got a Logitech Bluetooth Keyboard (K810), English keyboard layout, which I would like to use with my Android smartphone (LG G2). The pairing of the devices works fine, but I can't get it to display German language characters such as ö, ü, ä etc..

Those characters, however, work fine when I use the keyboard with a Windows-PC, after having changed the keyboard-language-settings in the OS.
Is there a way to do the same thing on Android?

In fact I would need to be able to toggle between the two languages (Eng & German), since I prefer to use the English-keyboard-layout when writing in English and the German one when writing in German. That's easy on Windows, just press the Windows-key together with Space, but how to do on Android?

Any idea how that could be accomplished? If toggle is not possible, then I would prefer to permanently change the keyboard input language on my LG G2 to German.

andruser

Sep 18, 2015
I had a similar problem. Updated my LG G2 to Android 5.0 but no help. I cannot find "Android keyboard" setting. I did find that on one of my tablets, and that one worked.

I installed External Keyboard Helper Demo (then Pro: 2.49 euros). It helped. Even then I had to select
Settings > Language and Input > Default (sp?) > External Keyboard Helper Pro (or Demo)
It is not enough to select EKH elsewhere, I had to be select EKH as the Default too before äö started to work.

How to get that "Android keyboard" option (not just "LG keyboard") without EKH?

andruser

Sep 18, 2015
External keyboard layout without EKH application

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

If I have EKH keyboard as the default, I have to select LG keyboard as the default (which takes some time) to be able to use the phone without the external keyboard. Therefore, EKH does not seem to be very useful (it is almost worse than not having an external keyboard).

So I wish that when the external keyboard is not connected, the internal (virtual) keyboard should be usable (without that tedious manual selection). How to achieve that?

I believe that my external keyboard should work automatically and without EKH. Some other devices do find and use correctly my keyboard. They have the option "Android keyboard" besides "LG keyboard". I don't see the "Android keyboard" option anywhere.

Parinibbana

Dec 28, 2013
Have you been able to pair your Logitech-keyboard with your phone using bluetooth?

If yes, you could simply set the normal keyboard at default and activate the Logitech-keyboard only when you need. This can be done easily by first activating the soft-keyboard by clicking into the text-filed. This will open the soft-keyboard. Then pull down the notification-bar and click on "Select keyboard" in order to change to the Logitech keyboard.

It is correct, it works also without External Keyboard Helper.