[[[OUTDATED]]] [TUT] Your Kindle | ROOTED | NO OTA'ED | SAFESTRAPPED

Search This thread

taette

Feb 3, 2013
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
OUTDATED

TUTORIAL ONLY FOR KINDLE FIRE HDX 7

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK / RUIN YOUR PHONE IN ANY WAY.
BASIC COMPUTER SKILLS REQUIRED

Introduction:

The main question is: Why we wanna root this tablet and install SAFESTRAP?
The purpose of this tutorial is to make the tablet ready to save the stock rom with SAFESTRAP and get a rooted device which is able to get googleplay store and an alternative launcher, maybe if you want i can add a section which contains how to SAFESTRAP the stock rom right and how you flash your first custom rom to your device. Let me know if you want this?!

Ok here we go :)

It is very important that you DON'T let your kindle updating.
Disable WLAN and enable AIRPLANE-MODE to supress it.

Then look in "settings" -> "device" -> which "version" do u have?
If you have 13.3.0.5 begin with reading at step 1a) ( thank you @Grtschnk )
If you have 13.3.1.0 begin with reading at step 2a)
If you have 13.3.2.4 begin with reading at step 3a)
If you have 13.3.2.5 or 13.3.2.6 use this Tutorial from 058515471 (he explains a rollback)
If you have any other version let me know!

Download:

Tools (you need them all):
KFHDX ToolKit v0.95 -> Link
Safestrap -> Link

Firmware (you need at least the 13.3.2.4 version)
13.3.0.5 -> Link ||| Mirror-Link (mediafire) ||| Mirror-Link (devhost)
13.3.1.0 -> Link ||| Mirror-Link (devhost)
13.3.2.4 -> Link ||| Mirror-Link (devhost)

Installation:

1a) Ok you have the version 13.3.0.5 installed
  1. connect your kindle with the PC
  2. enable "ADB" and "unknown source blabla" in your "settings"
  3. download the firmware 13.3.1.0 and put it in the "internal storage" of you kindle
  4. restart your kindle one time
  5. make sure you have WLAN disabled and AIRPLANE-MODE enabled
  6. press the "check for update" button in your "settings" -> "device" menu
  7. now it told you that there is an update
  8. press ok and let him update (WITH WLAN OFF!!!! CHECK IT!!)
  9. restart the kindle
  10. now you have the version 13.3.1.0 installed
  11. now we have to update to 13.3.2.4
  12. download the firmware 13.3.2.4 and put it in the "internal storage" of you kindle and delete the firmware 13.3.1.0.bin file
  13. restart your kindle one time
  14. make sure you have WLAN disabled and AIRPLANE-MODE enabled
  15. press the "check for update" button in your "settings" -> "device" menu
  16. now it told you that there is an update
  17. press ok and let him update (WITH WLAN OFF!!!! CHECK IT!!)
  18. restart the kindle
  19. now you have the version 13.3.2.4 installed
  20. to check this go to "settings" -> "device" and read
  21. if you see under version 13.3.2.4_********* then you are READY to root and the following steps
  22. make sure your kindle has enough battery
  23. make sure you have the KFHDX ToolKit on your computer
  24. start KFHDX
  25. now choose option "4" -> let him install it
  26. now choose option "1" -> towelroot your phone now (if you performed the steps before you can answer the question with "N")
  27. after you rooted your phone we test if the root was successful
  28. in KFHDX main menu choose option "7" -> then "4" -> if it shows rooted you have to install the SuperSU App with the option "1"
  29. then you can go back to KFHDX main menu and disable the OTA update with option "6"
  30. run the SuperSU app one time and update the binaries if he asks (but with "NORMAL" mode not "CWM/blablastuff")
  31. ok now you have to install SAFESTRAP download this SAFESTRAP version if you completed the steps before correctly
  32. install the SAFESTRAP app
  33. accept the disclamer if you accept it
  34. now check the version in the lower left corner it has to show 3.75 if this is correct
  35. press "install recovery", it takes not very long - after this step you have successfully installed your recovery

2a) Ok you have the version 13.3.1.0 installed
  3. download the firmware 13.3.2.4 and put it in the "internal storage" of you kindle
  9. restart the kindle
  10. now you have the version 13.3.2.4 installed
  11. to check this go to "settings" -> "device" and read
  12. if you see under version 13.3.2.4_********* then you are READY to root and the following steps
  13. make sure your kindle has enough battery
  14. make sure you have the KFHDX ToolKit on your computer
  15. start KFHDX
  16. now choose option "4" -> let him install it
  17. now choose option "1" -> towelroot your phone now (if you performed the steps before you can answer the question with "N")
  18. after you rooted your phone we test if the root was successful
  19. in KFHDX main menu choose option "7" -> then "4" -> if it shows rooted you have to install the SuperSU App with the option "1"
  20. then you can go back to KFHDX main menu and disable the OTA update with option "6"
  21. run the SuperSU app one time and update the binaries if he asks (but with "NORMAL" mode not "CWM/blablastuff")
  22. ok now you have to install SAFESTRAP download this SAFESTRAP version if you completed the steps before correctly
  23. install the SAFESTRAP app
  24. accept the disclamer if you accept it
  25. now check the version in the lower left corner it has to show 3.75 if this is correct
  26. press "install recovery", it takes not very long - after this step you have successfully installed your recovery

3a) Ok you have the version 13.3.2.4 installed
  3. make sure your kindle has enough battery
  4. make sure you have the KFHDX ToolKit on your computer
  5. start KFHDX
  6. now choose option "4" -> let him install it
  7. now choose option "1" -> towelroot your phone now (if you performed the step before you can answer the question with "N")
  8. after you rooted your phone we test if the root was successful
  9. in KFHDX main menu choose option "7" -> then "4" -> if it shows rooted you have to install the SuperSU App with the option "1"
  10. then you can go back to KFHDX main menu and disable the OTA update with option "6"
  11. run the SuperSU app one time and update the binaries if he asks (but with "NORMAL" mode not "CWM/blablastuff")
  12. ok now you have to install SAFESTRAP download this SAFESTRAP version if you completed the steps before correctly
  13. install the SAFESTRAP app
  14. accept the disclamer if you accept it
  15. now check the version in the lower left corner it has to show 3.75 if this is correct
  16. press "install recovery", it takes not very long - after this step you have successfully installed your recovery

Credits:

Thanks to Faznx92 for your awesome KFHDX ToolKit!!!
Thanks to ggow for your awesome HDX Nexus ROM v2.0.1!!!
Thanks to Hashcode for your awesome SAFESTRAP!!!
Thanks to 058515471 for your Tutorial!!!

Last edited:

taette

Feb 3, 2013
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
Reactions: flintston314

attaras

Nov 28, 2014
Need help upgrading

Hi,

thanks for the effort and the great description in this tutorial.

Unfortunately I already used the toolkit on my Kindle HDX 7 with 13.3.0.5 before I read this article. I want to have the newest ROM before rooting it and installing the apps, lauchner, etc. that I want to use.

For the upgrade I uninstalled Safestrap and enabled OTA on the Stock ROM in flight mode. I put the 13.3.1.0 in Internal Storage but the System will not recognize it. I found many tutorials on the Forum how to downgrade or manually install an upgrade, but no answer to my specific problem.

Can you provide a link or even a detailled instruction, what to do?

THANKS !!!

Carsten

taette

Feb 3, 2013
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
Hi,

thanks for the effort and the great description in this tutorial.

Unfortunately I already used the toolkit on my Kindle HDX 7 with 13.3.0.5 before I read this article. I want to have the newest ROM before rooting it and installing the apps, lauchner, etc. that I want to use.

For the upgrade I uninstalled Safestrap and enabled OTA on the Stock ROM in flight mode. I put the 13.3.1.0 in Internal Storage but the System will not recognize it. I found many tutorials on the Forum how to downgrade or manually install an upgrade, but no answer to my specific problem.

Can you provide a link or even a detailled instruction, what to do?

THANKS !!!

Carsten
Thank you :eek:

Do u disabled the OTA update function with KFHDX TOOLKIT?
then you have to enable it again with MainMenu option "7" and in more menu enable it again. After that follow the instructions in the steps above.

If this doesn't work send me a pm and I look into it. Hopefully we can solve this problem :)

Last edited:
Reactions: flintston314

mattzipan

Nov 26, 2014
Trouble getting the Towelroot / ADB driver running

Hi taette,

thanks again for your work, I'm sure a looot of people have been waiting for this, at least I have! Thumbs up!! :good:

I got my KFHDX7 yesterday (bought it freshly in Germany for 99€) and it came with firmware 13.3.2.1! Super!

However, following your tutorial 2a), I receive this error when trying to use towel root:

Towelroot log

[*] Installing Towelroot...
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
** daemon still not runningerror: cannot connect to daemon
ADB server didn't ACK
* failed to start daemon *
- waiting for device -
ADB server didn't ACK
error: cannot connect to daemon
ADB server didn't ACK
- waiting for device -

So I have to admit here, I'm not that smart and have trouble interpreting above log. I assume my ADB driver is not installed correctly? - I tried various ways installing and deinstalling the driver, but im running in circles :crying:

I'm trying to make it as easy as possible to troubleshoot, therefore I took some screenshots regarding my ADB driver and attached them.

Do you or somebody else have a clue what I could try out? :confused:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 621
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 626
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 611
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 595

nexusBOb

Nov 25, 2014
Vienna

taette

Feb 3, 2013
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
Hi taette,

thanks again for your work, I'm sure a looot of people have been waiting for this, at least I have! Thumbs up!! :good:

I got my KFHDX7 yesterday (bought it freshly in Germany for 99€) and it came with firmware 13.3.2.1! Super!

[...]

So I have to admit here, I'm not that smart and have trouble interpreting above log. I assume my ADB driver is not installed correctly? - I tried various ways installing and deinstalling the driver, but im running in circles :crying:

I'm trying to make it as easy as possible to troubleshoot, therefore I took some screenshots regarding my ADB driver and attached them.

Yes i would say that ADB driver isnt correctly installed. do u use KFHDX to install it? Are u sure, that you enabled ADB in settings and unknown sources?

stackover8.png

my system:
7AG351l.jpg

Absolutely great Tutorial! Awesome, everything worked perfectly.
Yup, I did the same thing, works great!

Thanks for great tutorial and help in my own thread taette!
And thanks mucha0815 for the info that it works with 13.3.2.5 without a rollback!

Thank you guys :):laugh::victory::good:

Last edited:

rev0l

Sep 3, 2008
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact

Hey i had the same here (including that the the installer said all is fine),
i uninstalled the driver from windows device manager (with hdx adb on plugged in) and reconnected the hdx back to the pc, the correct driver was installed and it worked.

i tried to install the driver from android sdk (with amazon repo) first but it doesnt help..
@taette: thank you for the nice tutorial :)

Last edited:

kico42

Jun 21, 2014
A "BIG" vote of thanks for this!! It worked perfect on my Kindle HDX 13.3.2.6---It's a great tutorial.

Well done my friend!

Jan 6, 2014
Newport Pagnell

Long story short:
My kindle has updated to 4.5.1 and previous safestrap and mod appears to be wiped.
Will this tut work for me?

Long Story:
So, I modded mine HDX 7 a while back (8 months ish) using safestrap and tuts from on here. I was showing off my HDX to someone yesterday who wanted to see what the original interface was like, so i switched back to the stock ROM and when they were playing about the system updated to 4.5.1.
It looks like this has wiped my tablets safestrap and other rom.
Will this tut be useful or will it brick my tablet???

thanks

taette

Feb 3, 2013
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
Long story short:
My kindle has updated to 4.5.1 and previous safestrap and mod appears to be wiped.
Will this tut work for me?

Long Story:
So, I modded mine HDX 7 a while back (8 months ish) using safestrap and tuts from on here. I was showing off my HDX to someone yesterday who wanted to see what the original interface was like, so i switched back to the stock ROM and when they were playing about the system updated to 4.5.1.
It looks like this has wiped my tablets safestrap and other rom.
Will this tut be useful or will it brick my tablet???

thanks

Is SAFESTRAP active? can you choose between "recovery" and "continue" when you start your kindle?

normally when you use 13.4.5.1 you dont have root and so you cant use SAFESTRAP and cant use this tutorial :(

Jan 6, 2014
Newport Pagnell
No, I dont get the safestrap page popup :(
It's kind of rendered the tablet useless. Amazon limit so much stuff, it really annoys me.

The update must have been targetting the safestrap stuff.

Anyone have a workaround?

mucha0815

May 3, 2010
Last edited:

Faznx92

Nov 18, 2013
Very nice tutorial. It's a real shame, this tablet "had" potential. Hashcode's safestrap was the closest the device came to touching an unlock. My only reason for keeping this tablet the time I did was I had prime. It was great, while it lasted. Sold mine to a family friend and bought a Tab Pro. tisk tisk. I was planning a gui for the toolkit and mac/linux support, but it's just not working out. To anyone interested, you should take a look at the toolkit source, you might learn something ;) (I sure as hell did.) I will try to answer any questions regarding the toolkit that weren't previously answered.

fyi I may (more then likely not) update the toolkit in the future but as of now it's frozen solid.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OUTDATED

TUTORIAL ONLY FOR KINDLE FIRE HDX 7

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK / RUIN YOUR PHONE IN ANY WAY.
    BASIC COMPUTER SKILLS REQUIRED

Introduction:

The main question is: Why we wanna root this tablet and install SAFESTRAP?
    The purpose of this tutorial is to make the tablet ready to save the stock rom with SAFESTRAP and get a rooted device which is able to get googleplay store and an alternative launcher, maybe if you want i can add a section which contains how to SAFESTRAP the stock rom right and how you flash your first custom rom to your device. Let me know if you want this?!

Ok here we go :)

It is very important that you DON'T let your kindle updating.
    Disable WLAN and enable AIRPLANE-MODE to supress it.

Then look in "settings" -> "device" -> which "version" do u have?
    If you have 13.3.0.5 begin with reading at step 1a) ( thank you @Grtschnk )
    If you have 13.3.1.0 begin with reading at step 2a)
    If you have 13.3.2.4 begin with reading at step 3a)
    If you have 13.3.2.5 or 13.3.2.6 use this Tutorial from 058515471 (he explains a rollback)
    If you have any other version let me know!

Download:

Tools (you need them all):
    KFHDX ToolKit v0.95 -> Link
    Safestrap -> Link

Firmware (you need at least the 13.3.2.4 version)
    13.3.0.5 -> Link ||| Mirror-Link (mediafire) ||| Mirror-Link (devhost)
    13.3.1.0 -> Link ||| Mirror-Link (devhost)
    13.3.2.4 -> Link ||| Mirror-Link (devhost)

Installation:

1a) Ok you have the version 13.3.0.5 installed
    3. download the firmware 13.3.1.0 and put it in the "internal storage" of you kindle
    9. restart the kindle
    10. now you have the version 13.3.1.0 installed
    11. now we have to update to 13.3.2.4
    12. download the firmware 13.3.2.4 and put it in the "internal storage" of you kindle and delete the firmware 13.3.1.0.bin file
    13. restart your kindle one time
    14. make sure you have WLAN disabled and AIRPLANE-MODE enabled
    15. press the "check for update" button in your "settings" -> "device" menu
    16. now it told you that there is an update
    17. press ok and let him update (WITH WLAN OFF!!!! CHECK IT!!)
    18. restart the kindle
    19. now you have the version 13.3.2.4 installed
    20. to check this go to "settings" -> "device" and read
    21. if you see under version 13.3.2.4_********* then you are READY to root and the following steps
    22. make sure your kindle has enough battery
    23. make sure you have the KFHDX ToolKit on your computer
    24. start KFHDX
    25. now choose option "4" -> let him install it
    26. now choose option "1" -> towelroot your phone now (if you performed the steps before you can answer the question with "N")
    27. after you rooted your phone we test if the root was successful
    28. in KFHDX main menu choose option "7" -> then "4" -> if it shows rooted you have to install the SuperSU App with the option "1"
    29. then you can go back to KFHDX main menu and disable the OTA update with option "6"
    30. run the SuperSU app one time and update the binaries if he asks (but with "NORMAL" mode not "CWM/blablastuff")
    31. ok now you have to install SAFESTRAP download this SAFESTRAP version if you completed the steps before correctly
    32. install the SAFESTRAP app
    33. accept the disclamer if you accept it
    34. now check the version in the lower left corner it has to show 3.75 if this is correct
    35. press "install recovery", it takes not very long - after this step you have successfully installed your recovery

2a) Ok you have the version 13.3.1.0 installed
    3. download the firmware 13.3.2.4 and put it in the "internal storage" of you kindle
    9. restart the kindle
    10. now you have the version 13.3.2.4 installed
    11. to check this go to "settings" -> "device" and read
    12. if you see under version 13.3.2.4_********* then you are READY to root and the following steps
    13. make sure your kindle has enough battery
    14. make sure you have the KFHDX ToolKit on your computer
    15. start KFHDX
    16. now choose option "4" -> let him install it
    17. now choose option "1" -> towelroot your phone now (if you performed the steps before you can answer the question with "N")
    18. after you rooted your phone we test if the root was successful
    19. in KFHDX main menu choose option "7" -> then "4" -> if it shows rooted you have to install the SuperSU App with the option "1"
    20. then you can go back to KFHDX main menu and disable the OTA update with option "6"
    21. run the SuperSU app one time and update the binaries if he asks (but with "NORMAL" mode not "CWM/blablastuff")
    22. ok now you have to install SAFESTRAP download this SAFESTRAP version if you completed the steps before correctly
    23. install the SAFESTRAP app
    24. accept the disclamer if you accept it
    25. now check the version in the lower left corner it has to show 3.75 if this is correct
    26. press "install recovery", it takes not very long - after this step you have successfully installed your recovery

3a) Ok you have the version 13.3.2.4 installed
    3. make sure your kindle has enough battery
    4. make sure you have the KFHDX ToolKit on your computer
    5. start KFHDX
    6. now choose option "4" -> let him install it
    7. now choose option "1" -> towelroot your phone now (if you performed the step before you can answer the question with "N")
    8. after you rooted your phone we test if the root was successful
    9. in KFHDX main menu choose option "7" -> then "4" -> if it shows rooted you have to install the SuperSU App with the option "1"
    10. then you can go back to KFHDX main menu and disable the OTA update with option "6"
    11. run the SuperSU app one time and update the binaries if he asks (but with "NORMAL" mode not "CWM/blablastuff")
    12. ok now you have to install SAFESTRAP download this SAFESTRAP version if you completed the steps before correctly
    13. install the SAFESTRAP app
    14. accept the disclamer if you accept it
    15. now check the version in the lower left corner it has to show 3.75 if this is correct
    16. press "install recovery", it takes not very long - after this step you have successfully installed your recovery

Credits:

Thanks to Faznx92 for your awesome KFHDX ToolKit!!!
    Thanks to ggow for your awesome HDX Nexus ROM v2.0.1!!!
    Thanks to Hashcode for your awesome SAFESTRAP!!!
    Thanks to 058515471 for your Tutorial!!!
    I started downloading and installing everything, and while doing that the Kindle won't let me save the edited build.prop using es file explorer or build prop editor. I can't seem to change permissions of the file either. Bummer. Should be interesting upgrading to 13.3.2.6 to rollback. Hoping to not brick the device, but its on its last legs anyways.

This is where my downgrade didn't go as smoothly as planned.
    Got this from the command prompt.
    Code:
    Adb shell chmod 644 /system/build.prop
    Unable to chmod /system/build.prop: Read-only file system

OTA?
    Go into wireless and forget your wireless settings passwords. If the Kindle can't connect to wireless how is it going to download an update? I guess turn wireless off to be extra cautious. Disabling and renabling OTA updates through KDFX seems to mess up the check device thing to update the internal sd card bin files for the steps below.

Remove Safestrap
    Boot into stock rom slot.
    Go into safestrap and uninstall recovery.
    After this I reran KDFX to towelroot and put su on, just in case.

Update to 13.2.2.5 for the Eventual Downgrade tp 13.3.1.0
    http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/general/update-1314-4-1-1-probably-sangria-t2901813
    Had to factory reset, before the device would even see any bin file. Ended up using the 13.3.2.5 bin file. Would not update to 13.3.2.6. The device would say its not valid and delete the file. You weren't kidding that this is not straightforward.
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/kindle-fire-updates/update-kindle-13.3.2.5_user_325001120.bin

Downgrade to 13.3.1.0
    After I got 13.3.2.5 on the device I used the install.bat from here
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2782159

The final step of following the instructions of putting 13.3.1.0 on internal card and rebooting did not work. I had to yet again factory reset, then put update-kindle-1X.3.1.0_user_310079820.bin back onto the internal sdcard. And then finally got to 13.3.1.0.

No matter what I did to upgrade and downgrade these bin files they wouldn't take unless I factory reset each time.

Install TWRP here
    Make sure you have root through towelroot and su, using KFHDX+ToolKit+v0.95 .
    http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/development/recovery-twrp-recovery-2-8-1-0-apollo-t2991155

TWRP Flashable .3.2.3 Bootloader Upgrade here
    http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/development/twrp-flashable-3-2-3-bootloader-upgrade-t3025504

Create Unlock File
    Once that was done I went through the steps for the unlock file here
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=58897784&postcount=67

Fastboot on windows 8.1 x64 is something special.

With the device plugged in, uninstall the adb driver from device manager and reboot.

This video helps explain how to install the fastboot drivers, sort of, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afrvSGiMAtk. Or follow text below.
    Mouse over to top right of windows screen for the charms menu.
    Click settings at the bottom.
    Change PC Settings
    Update & Recover
    Recovery
    Advanced Startup
    Restart Now

At this menu click troubleshoot
    Advanced options
    Startup Settings
    Restart

Then type 7 to force driver install without signatures.

Fastboot Into the Kindle
    From there boot the Kindle into fastboot. I held down power/up volume/down volume like another thread suggests. Or go into TWRP->Reboot->Bootloader

Download this driver and put the unzipped folder somewhere.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=59268023&postcount=8

When TWRP says fastboot, plug the USB cord from the motherboard port (not external ports) to the Kindle. In device manager fastboot hopefully shows up and forces the install of the downloaded drivers. I had to uninstall whatever yellow triangle drivers were showing up, until fastboot would finally show. It will give a red box saying are you sure. yes I am sure, and now you have working fastboot drivers on Win 8.1 x64.

Install Minimal ADB and Fastboot
    At this point, I was sick and tired of going to the Android Studio directory and used minimal ADB and Fastboot instead.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2317790

Finally unlock the bootloader
    Copy the unlocked file into wherever your fastboot.exe is located. And type below line by line.
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 devices
    (Makes sure a device shows up)
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash unlock 0xFILLIDSERIAL.unlock
    (replace the filename with the file you created from cuberHDX.py, once done should show successful in green letters)
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot
    (cross fingers)

2e3a5ci.jpg

Install CM12
    http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/development/rom-cm-12-unofficial-apollo-thor-t3050199
    Put cm12 rom into a directory (I make a roms folder on the internal card), reboot into TWRP, install cm12 rom.

Install gapps from here
    http://d-h.st/users/dhacker29/?fld_id=27426#files
    I used this latest version, gapps-lp-20150211-signed.zip

Huge thanks to everyone who has put their 2 cents into what to do from the various threads all over this forum.
    Major success!

Unlocked the bootloader using Linux (Python already installed, just had to install some plugin for it to do its job), flashed TWRP, didn't see it upon restart - remembered it's not like SafeStrap, appearing every time. Rebooted into recovery via ADB, backed up 3.1.0, flashed 3.2.3, and eventually installed Nexus 4.

I have it working, but I just realized that I don't have a Titanium Backup of my apps, though I do have a SafeStrap backup of the earlier Nexus ROM.

Would it be safe to restore the SafeStrap backup via TWRP to grab a copy of all my apps, then re-flash Nexus 4, so I can restore those?

I want to thank @ggow, @Cl4ncy, and @Davey126 for getting me this far!
    Hello guys,

I bought my Kindle Fire HDX 7 in last November and the first thing I have done after I opened the box is put into airplane mode and rooted it. It was working fine but a few apps just started crashing in the last couple of weeks so I deceided to wipe them all from the tablet. Factory Reset would be the easiest way but I do not really know where to start.

So my main question is how to reset my device without bricking it?

It's on 13.3.1.0 with Safetrap 3.72, SuperSU v2.14, Xposed 2.6.1 and might be more softwares that could cause some problems during the progress.
    Once my tablet is clear I would like to try out some custom ROM e.g cm11-12 or a Nexus ROM.

I would really appreciate it if some can give me a link which explains me how to do it step-by-step or just help me out with some hint where to start.

Thank you
    Don't factory reset - at least not yet. Path forward:
    - remove Xposed, Safestrap and any other app that has hooks into the system (basically anything that requires root access). Retain Fire OS 13.3.x, root and SuperSu.
    - download 3.2.5 here; print upgrade instructions
    - disconnect from wifi and remove all wifi profiles
    - disable/remove OTA blocker (if installed)
    - upgrade to 3.2.5 using previously referenced instructions
    - reroot using HDX toolkit (optionally block OTA with the same tool if you plan to enable wifi; must be unblocked for next step)
    - downgrade to 13.1.0 (here) following instructions in lower part of post. DO NOT MESS WITH BUILD.PROP!
    - install twrp (here). Disregard bootloader unlock and 3.2.3.2 firmware guidance for now
    - upgrade boot loader to 3.2.3.2 (here)
    - flash Nexus 2.0.5 or CM11 (you can't get to CM12 without additional steps)

This is just a rough outline; you need to do your homework for each step. Read the relevant threads and take note of cautions and gotchas. Be aware there is significant risk associated with some steps that can yield a hard brick. Plan your actions and don't take any step without an understanding of expected and unexpected outcomes. Post questions in the forums if you are unsure.

A more expansive version of the above along with bootloader unlock guidance can be found here. Good luck!
    I have 13.3.2.5 and rooted my device the same way like 2a without rollback to 13.3.2.4