[RECOVERY] CWM for the SK4G. Enjoy!

Search This thread

krylon360

Retired Recognized Developer
May 10, 2010
Seattle
Special thanks goes out to everyone who tested for me.

I do not have the device, so I rely heavily on testers to report any bugs.

Here is CWM for the SK4G.

You will need to modify your stock recovery binary to be able to use CWM.
Kernel Devs can also compile CWM into their kernel by extracting the update.zip and building it into their initramfs.

To replace your stock recovery binary with the modified binary:
download this file
DEAD. USE BALI KERNEL
Exatract and take the recovery binary file inside of it and use root explorer or adb push the file to /system/bin.
DO NOT delete the current one there, or rename any files.
Just overwrite it.
I would however, recommend getting Android Commander from www.androidcommander.com It's a lot easier, and a lot more useful.

CWM Final
DEAD. USE BALI KERNEL
Place in the root of your SD.

You can now use Quick Boot from the market, or adb reboot recovery to boot into CWM

I have sent Koush the device tree to have the official update.zip supported within Rom Manager.

UNTESTED:
You can also take the contents from the update.zip and replace the contents that are in noobnl's recovery rerouter/root.
Again, I haven't tested that due to not having the device.

Last edited:

mattpall

Apr 9, 2009
First! Congrats krylon and thank you
Krylon: link 404'd
Sent from my SGH-T839 using XDA App

Last edited:

mattpall

Apr 9, 2009
Guys... add a /sk4g to the first url so its like the 2nd url... thank me later

Reactions: krylon360

mattpall

Apr 9, 2009
Krylon... quick question... how much effort would it be to make a "reorient kernal" similar to wat the captivate had so it could use i9000 roms. Since this phone is basically a galaxy s...

ayoteddy

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 5, 2009
Nand backup error

with the new recovery (remapped buttons) i tried to do a nand backup and it wouldnt start and it'd auto matically say error while backing up boot image... can anyone see if they come across this aswell ..

krylon360

May 10, 2010
Seattle
Krylon... quick question... how much effort would it be to make a "reorient kernal" similar to wat the captivate had so it could use i9000 roms. Since this phone is basically a galaxy s...

this phone is not basically a galaxy S. heck, when the SGS4G came out people said it was basically a vibrant. NOPE. Wrong.

It would be hard to do, but might be doable.

Reactions: d4n137_91

ayoteddy

Jun 5, 2009

if we could get a stock kernel with just the ext4 patch so we would be able to run our system, data and cache on ext4 i'd be pleased enough . idk if anyone with this phone would be able to rebuild the kernel with that patch but if so our phones would easily be 3x faster

sduvick

Oct 15, 2010
MN
I also see the same problem. I didn't think to test backups. What was all changed from the working version to the current version? all that needed to be changed was the lun map and BOARD_USES_CUSTOM_KEYMAP

ayoteddy

Jun 5, 2009
didn't you test this?

yes i tested the original one completely and everything worked, the new one you sent me i only tested the buttons and mapping which were fine . but it seems now the nand backup/restore has a problem.

Edit: i just made another nand backup with the original recovery without the back button mapping and it works. seems the edited one got the backup/restore broken somehow

Reactions: d4n137_91

krylon360

May 10, 2010
Seattle
if we could get a stock kernel with just the ext4 patch so we would be able to run our system, data and cache on ext4 i'd be pleased enough . idk if anyone with this phone would be able to rebuild the kernel with that patch but if so our phones would easily be 3x faster

not hard to do at all. unpack, add in ext4 mount options, repack, then flash kernel, and script to convert.

Reactions: ayoteddy

krylon360

May 10, 2010
Seattle
yes i tested the original one completely and everything worked, the new one you sent me i only tested the buttons and mapping which were fine . but it seems now the nand backup/restore has a problem.

Edit: i just made another nand backup with the original recovery without the back button mapping and it works. seems the edited one got the backup/restore broken somehow

the new one all I did was change key mapping and UMS path... odd.

Datlilboricua

May 9, 2008
new jersey
Ok I did the recovery to system bin and did the update it changed to cwm and I tried nand errors out I reboot and reboot back into recovery I'm back to stock recovery

Sent From My Rooted Sidekick 4g Premium XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Special thanks goes out to everyone who tested for me.

I do not have the device, so I rely heavily on testers to report any bugs.

Here is CWM for the SK4G.

You will need to modify your stock recovery binary to be able to use CWM.
    Kernel Devs can also compile CWM into their kernel by extracting the update.zip and building it into their initramfs.

To replace your stock recovery binary with the modified binary:
    download this file
    DEAD. USE BALI KERNEL
    Exatract and take the recovery binary file inside of it and use root explorer or adb push the file to /system/bin.
    DO NOT delete the current one there, or rename any files.
    Just overwrite it.
    I would however, recommend getting Android Commander from www.androidcommander.com It's a lot easier, and a lot more useful.

CWM Final
    DEAD. USE BALI KERNEL
    Place in the root of your SD.

You can now use Quick Boot from the market, or adb reboot recovery to boot into CWM

I have sent Koush the device tree to have the official update.zip supported within Rom Manager.

UNTESTED:
    You can also take the contents from the update.zip and replace the contents that are in noobnl's recovery rerouter/root.
    Again, I haven't tested that due to not having the device.
    I have integrated cwm with the oneclickroot script and zipped it all up here:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12704578/sk4g test oneclickroot.zip

to use:
    1. Enable Debugging on your phone (Settings>Applications>development>USB Debugging)
    2. unzip the .zip file above on your computer
    3. double click on the run.bat in that folder.
    Your phone will reboot into recovery at the end of the script.

I took out the rooting aspect of the script, so use SuperOneClick to root your phone before using this script, if you don't have root.
    now on Rom Manager thanks to Koush
    Steps:
    ODIN
    Root http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1348477
    Have update.zip on root of sd card.
    Boot into CMW.
    Install Update.zip
    Then check mounts
    Wipe and clear cache
    Flash rom
    Check mounts (make sure its unmount, mount, mount, unmount)

Follow exactly. Don't use rom manager to install cwm it causes problems.

Pm if u still can't get it!
    Sent from my SGH-T839 using XDA Premium App
    Don't Forget the Thanks Button :)
    Krylon, can you enable adb and su?

ro.secure=0
    ro.debuggable=1
    persist.service.adb.enable=1

yep, i'll do it tonight at work.