Compass not functioning

Search This thread

Mann_Kel

Jan 10, 2011
Can someone confirm that the compass functions in the app skymap? I can't get it to work, always says I'm facing the same direction and if I try to calibrate it the app instantly says the calibration was successful. I couldn't get the dvp compass app to work before mango either.
Thanks

Sent from my Venue Pro using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

arvidh

Feb 4, 2008
I am facing the same problem. The compass doesnt wok in any of the apps that uses the compass.

On a side note, I am not able to get the ambient sensor to work after updating to Mango. Anyone else facing that issue?

crav4speed

Apr 26, 2006
NYC
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5
I'm having the same problem. The compass in my DVP is not working. I have 3 apps installed that use the compass and all of them point to one direction and don't move.

Did you guys upgrade to Mango using the disconnect trick? The Samsung users are having the same problems so maybe not all the drivers were installed correctly. Maybe try restoring back to NoDo and wait for the update? I would try it myself but it's not really that important enough for me to lose all my information. :)

Mann_Kel

Jan 10, 2011
I update using the correct update method, I had the same issue with nodo.

Sent from my Venue Pro using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

MJCS

Well here is the problem...during the update this is what happend:
Code:
NkUpdate succeeded.
NkUpdate: Writing the NK partition...
NkUpdate: Successfully wrote the NK partition.

**** Starting IMGFS Update @ 16:46:58 ****
    Deleting file compassDrv.dll.

So yeah...good one dell

Reactions: gauravr88

efjay

Nov 18, 2004
Code:
NkUpdate succeeded.

So yeah...good one dell

Should be an easy fix for them now you've shown them how. :)

MJCS

Well I just called DELL and it looks like they found out about this from my post (LOL). It is a "compatibility issue" (whatever that means). I dont get how they can call it a "compatibility issue" when it is clearly a "Dell deleted this driver" issue. I am going to give Dell one week to fix this issue before I contact a lawyer.

MJCS

I just Sent this to Dell support and the dell board of directors:
Dell:
Today I called Tech support up to see if there was any information on the Dell Venue Pro’s compass not working after upgrading to Windows Phone Mango / 7.5. It took a good 5 minutes to explain to the technician what a compass was, that it was a part of the phone, and then he thought I was talking about an android phone. Finally he talked to a supervisor and told me it was “A compatibility issue”. I do not like being lied to! I know for a certain fact that the compassDrv.dll was deleted during the update process. It was the only file to be deleted!!! My logs and the File Copy tool in the engineering mode application provided with the phone back this fact up.

Here is an excerpt from the UpdateApp.Log from my device
================================================
START OF UPDATEAPP INFO MESSAGES
SETTING THE INSTALLING UPDATE STATE.

**** STARTING IMGFS UPDATE SIMULATION @ 16:46:32 ****
DELETING FILE COMPASSDRV.DLL.

Now with almost any other WM7.5 phone on the market, I could simply deploy the compassDrv.dll file from another phone. But since Dell has yet to release any applications that support homebrew/advanced development for their phone this is impossible.

Please either fix the issue by the end of the month and/or give us a way to edit the registry to get the interop unlock working so we can have native com access and fix it ourselves. Us developers like to tinker with our phones so please give us the option to do so.

Lastly, I am a developer and I was planning on making an application that uses the compass. Now I can’t and am potentially losing revenue for my company. This is not acceptable.

Thank you,
Windows Phone Developer and Disgruntled Fan

Reactions: NeverSummer07

salilshukla

Jul 9, 2008
Lucknow, India
Using the file browser I see they uploaded a file called CompassDrv_ms.dll but all the programs are trying to use CompassDrv.dll.
Thanks MJCS. So, there's light at the end of the tunnel and it may not require Dell to issue an update, right? I have written to one of the developers of a compass app to try the CompassDrv_ms.dll file in his app and see if it works on the DVP. Let's see where this goes.

venelar

Jan 27, 2007
Baton Rouge
as much as i hated the old days of nightly flashes and hoped wp7 would get rid of that mentality...i almost wish they'd open things up and let the talented folks here at xda fix their problems like the good old days.

peeps

Aug 30, 2006
Denton, TX
as much as i hated the old days of nightly flashes and hoped wp7 would get rid of that mentality...i almost wish they'd open things up and let the talented folks here at xda fix their problems like the good old days.
right? I used my Fuze for 1.5 years thanks to the folks on here...had the DVP for 5 months and tired of this crap already. Not sure how you early adopters handled it.

M3r71n0

Dec 29, 2008
why not send many e-mail to Dell where asks the solution of the problem

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    NkUpdate succeeded.

So yeah...good one dell
    I just Sent this to Dell support and the dell board of directors:
    Dell:
    Today I called Tech support up to see if there was any information on the Dell Venue Pro’s compass not working after upgrading to Windows Phone Mango / 7.5. It took a good 5 minutes to explain to the technician what a compass was, that it was a part of the phone, and then he thought I was talking about an android phone. Finally he talked to a supervisor and told me it was “A compatibility issue”. I do not like being lied to! I know for a certain fact that the compassDrv.dll was deleted during the update process. It was the only file to be deleted!!! My logs and the File Copy tool in the engineering mode application provided with the phone back this fact up.

Here is an excerpt from the UpdateApp.Log from my device
    START OF UPDATEAPP INFO MESSAGES
    SETTING THE INSTALLING UPDATE STATE.

**** STARTING IMGFS UPDATE SIMULATION @ 16:46:32 ****
    DELETING FILE COMPASSDRV.DLL.

Now with almost any other WM7.5 phone on the market, I could simply deploy the compassDrv.dll file from another phone. But since Dell has yet to release any applications that support homebrew/advanced development for their phone this is impossible.

Please either fix the issue by the end of the month and/or give us a way to edit the registry to get the interop unlock working so we can have native com access and fix it ourselves. Us developers like to tinker with our phones so please give us the option to do so.

Lastly, I am a developer and I was planning on making an application that uses the compass. Now I can’t and am potentially losing revenue for my company. This is not acceptable.

Thank you,
    Windows Phone Developer and Disgruntled Fan
    Using the file browser I see they uploaded a file called CompassDrv_ms.dll but all the programs are trying to use CompassDrv.dll.
    The ball is in Microsoft's hands. I'm going to give them another week before contacting their executive support.