[MOD]viperMOD for AOSP and Sense Kernels - v3 beta RC2.4 |Updated 6.14.11|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

-viperboy-

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2007
PA
Hey everyone, welcome to viperMOD for the EVO, Incredible, Nexus One, Desire GSM, Thunderbolt, Nexus S, Nexus S 4G, Desire HD, and Inspire 4G. Many people are having great success with this mod and I hope you enjoy my work :)

I would like to turn this into an app! If someone would like to help out that has Java knowledge, please contact me!

What does this do?
Kernel developers make their kernels to be "universal". By universal, they want the kernel to work on as many phones as possible so they may only mildly undervolt. However, some phones can handle a more aggressive undervolt. Some can't. viperMOD allows you to undervolt to your choosing for better battery life or allow you to overvolt to make your phone more stable.

How do I run this?
Once you flash the .zip go into your Terminal app (I use Android Terminal Emulator set to 10pt font) and type:

su
vipermod

I really only use Terminal for my mod and there is something really cool you can do with Android Terminal Emulator (and maybe others). Menu > Preferences > Initial Command > Press Enter and type su > Press Enter again and type vipermod

Every time you start Terminal now, it will open right into viperMOD. You can quickly exit by pressing Enter if you need to use Terminal for something else :)

UPDATE 6/14
  • viperMOD v3 beta RC2.4 is live!
  • Fixed some coding that was giving errors on certain ROMs and phones. Everyone please update to this!
  • Please see the updated FAQ and changelog for more information!

UPDATE 5/31
  • viperMOD v3 beta RC2.3 is live!
  • MUCH better support for NS/NS4G Netarchy kernels and other enhancements!

UPDATE 5/29
  • viperMOD v3 beta RC2.2 is live!
  • Initial support for Desire HD/Inspire 4G and more!

v3_beta_rc2_1.png
v3_beta_rc2_2.png
v3_beta_rc2_3.png

Please see viperboy.tiamat-dev.com for downloads, more information, changelog, and FAQ!
You can find the answers to all of your questions there!

Feel free to support this mod with a userbar in your sig :)
viperMOD_user.png

Credit to:
- snq_ for the VDD support
- Cayniarb for his awesome Tiamat kernel, hosting, and website!
- Netarchy for his amazing guidance and patience!
- My IRC friends ekarelis, bigrushdog, and morph3k for all their help!
- Ziggy for the adjustable sysfs interface
- Anyone who has done testing for me or helped me at all
- Everyone who contributes to Android development
- Let me know if I left anyone out!

Last edited:

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
Incompatible kernel on gingerbeast 2.1.2 :/

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA Premium App

It shows that voltages can be lowered with a script. He may be using a different type of vdd interface than most kernels. If you want to post in his thread to ask, that would be helpful. I don't really have time to read the whole thread to see if it might be posted in there.

I could take a look at the folder the file I need to modify is usually in. Can you .zip me your /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq folder? Or just do an ls on it and copy me the output from that.

Also, you can try Leedroid kernel if you want to use this right away.

trell959

Dec 20, 2010
California
It shows that voltages can be lowered with a script. He may be using a different type of vdd interface than most kernels. If you want to post in his thread to ask, that would be helpful. I don't really have time to read the whole thread to see if it might be posted in there.

I could take a look at the folder the file I need to modify is usually in. Can you .zip me your /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq folder? Or just do an ls on it and copy me the output from that.

Yeah how do I get them to you? :p dumb question

di11igaf

Sep 6, 2010
East Coast

Right now my kernel uses the vdd table in acpuclock7x30.c to overclock and set voltages, but haven't incorporated the 'sys-interface' yet, so there is no vdd file in /system/devices/system/CPU......./cpufreq/vdd...( which will be added in next version of the kernel to make this work properly). Its still adjustable with an init script, just can't see it like you should be able to.
Leedroids kernel will probably not work since his is a sense rom, mines aosp. (just the zimage will probably boot, but there will likely be problems, the whole boot.img will deff cause problems)
So, its not vipermods fault, I need to get around to updating my kernel again.
Edit- I quoted viperboy, but this is more directed to trell

Last edited:

trell959

Dec 20, 2010
California
Yeah I was going to say about leedroids kernel, sense kernel on an aosp Rom doesn't seem like a good idea

killersloth

Jan 7, 2011
HoneySense with latest leedroid kernel:

/system/bin/vipermod: line 395: `1stgensnapdragon': not a valid identifier

Sent from the sky using Tapatalk

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
HoneySense with latest leedroid kernel:

/system/bin/vipermod: line 395: `1stgensnapdragon': not a valid identifier

Sent from the sky using Tapatalk

This is something that I'm having a hard time pinning down. I don't get this error on my EVO but someone in the Desire forums, I believe, got this error too. I'm wondering if it's ROM related since other people using Leedroid have it working. I will see what I can do, crap like this is just hard to sort out without the phone sometimes.

killersloth

Jan 7, 2011
Any log I can pull for you? I'm away from my laptop though.
I'll look at the script and find where it pulls that from and try to work it out. I'll let you know.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
Any log I can pull for you? I'm away from my laptop though.
I'll look at the script and find where it pulls that from and try to work it out. I'll let you know.

You don't get into the script at all, right? Unfortunately, there would be no log you could give me. 1stgensnapdragon is a function setup in my script, however, that has nothing to do with the Desire HD/Inspire 4G since you guys have a 2nd-gen Snapdragon and I have a function for that.

If you find anything, please let me know!

killersloth

Jan 7, 2011
You don't get into the script at all, right? Unfortunately, there would be no log you could give me. 1stgensnapdragon is a function setup in my script, however, that has nothing to do with the Desire HD/Inspire 4G since you guys have a 2nd-gen Snapdragon and I have a function for that.

If you find anything, please let me know!

I'm not too sure but I'm thinking your script detects my processor from build.prop, this is the line from mine:
ro.board.platform=msm7x30

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
I'm not too sure but I'm thinking your script detects my processor from build.prop, this is the line from mine:
ro.board.platform=msm7x30

It does pull that line from build.prop but it knows it's a 2nd-gen Snapdragon and that shouldn't make a difference.

HTCOmega

Jan 5, 2008
Huntsville
So I updated my copy of VMod script and BusyBox (thank you much, btw. Speedy updates are a joy...I guess maybe I'm just impatient at times lol) via ES Explorer then chmod 0777 for both w/ emulator and it still doesn't work. Both updates seem to have taken and now I get errors on lines 9 and 399, I believe. It's the "uname" and "1gen" errors from earlier. "Tr" and "cut" don't throw up errors anymore so that's at least some improvement lol

Need anything more from me to help out?

---

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
So I updated my copy of VMod script and BusyBox (thank you much, btw. Speedy updates are a joy...I guess maybe I'm just impatient at times lol) via ES Explorer then chmod 0777 for both w/ emulator and it still doesn't work. Both updates seem to have taken and now I get errors on lines 9 and 399, I believe. It's the "uname" and "1gen" errors from earlier. "Tr" and "cut" don't throw up errors anymore so that's at least some improvement lol

Need anything more from me to help out?

---

Wow dude, your phone hates me lol what happens if you type uname in terminal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone, welcome to viperMOD for the EVO, Incredible, Nexus One, Desire GSM, Thunderbolt, Nexus S, Nexus S 4G, Desire HD, and Inspire 4G. Many people are having great success with this mod and I hope you enjoy my work :)

I would like to turn this into an app! If someone would like to help out that has Java knowledge, please contact me!

What does this do?
    Kernel developers make their kernels to be "universal". By universal, they want the kernel to work on as many phones as possible so they may only mildly undervolt. However, some phones can handle a more aggressive undervolt. Some can't. viperMOD allows you to undervolt to your choosing for better battery life or allow you to overvolt to make your phone more stable.

How do I run this?
    Once you flash the .zip go into your Terminal app (I use Android Terminal Emulator set to 10pt font) and type:

su
    vipermod

I really only use Terminal for my mod and there is something really cool you can do with Android Terminal Emulator (and maybe others). Menu > Preferences > Initial Command > Press Enter and type su > Press Enter again and type vipermod

Every time you start Terminal now, it will open right into viperMOD. You can quickly exit by pressing Enter if you need to use Terminal for something else :)

UPDATE 6/14
    • viperMOD v3 beta RC2.4 is live!
    • Fixed some coding that was giving errors on certain ROMs and phones. Everyone please update to this!

UPDATE 5/31
    • viperMOD v3 beta RC2.3 is live!
    • MUCH better support for NS/NS4G Netarchy kernels and other enhancements!

UPDATE 5/29
    • viperMOD v3 beta RC2.2 is live!
    • Initial support for Desire HD/Inspire 4G and more!

v3_beta_rc2_1.png
    v3_beta_rc2_2.png
    v3_beta_rc2_3.png

Please see viperboy.tiamat-dev.com for downloads, more information, changelog, and FAQ!
    You can find the answers to all of your questions there!

Feel free to support this mod with a userbar in your sig :)
    viperMOD_user.png

Credit to:
    - snq_ for the VDD support
    - Cayniarb for his awesome Tiamat kernel, hosting, and website!
    - Netarchy for his amazing guidance and patience!
    - My IRC friends ekarelis, bigrushdog, and morph3k for all their help!
    - Ziggy for the adjustable sysfs interface
    - Anyone who has done testing for me or helped me at all
    - Everyone who contributes to Android development
    - Let me know if I left anyone out!
    OK guys, I know it's been a while but I bring good news! Here is an update with screenshots and it's almost done!! I want to give a HUGE shoutout to my friend Ben (Smurph82) because he has been doing most of the coding on this! Release should be within a week or so :D Here we go...

1.png
    2.png
    3.png
    4.png

5.png
    6.png
    7.png

It needs a little more work like icons and such and a little more work on the backend, but not much! I hope you guys like it! :D
    Incompatible kernel on gingerbeast 2.1.2 :/