Galaxy Note colour rendering issue: started working on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

paleh0rse

Jan 4, 2011
I do think so, yes. I don't witnessed anything weird about the notes video playback. You gotta get issues when you are playing 480p or less on a >720p screen. Maybe scaling isn't perfect as well.
this issue occurs just as frequently with HD images and video, in every format, that otherwise look great on any other device... so the sources are not the cause in most/all cases.

paleh0rse

Jan 4, 2011
have you tried using other sources or encode them yourself???

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
yes, absolutely.

That said, all one needs to do is use the HD gamma test image in a dark room. That one test demonstrates all you need to confirm the issue on any device. If there isn't a gradual fade to deep black from 20 down to 0, and instead it abruptly drops off at some point, then your phone has the black clipping issue, period.

Reactions: razorhanny

jermitano

Oct 8, 2011
Manila
yes, absolutely.

That said, all one needs to do is use the HD gamma test image in a dark room. That one test demonstrates all you need to confirm the issue on any device. If there isn't a gradual fade to deep black from 20 down to 0, and instead it abruptly drops off at some point, then your phone has the black clipping issue, period.

oh ok...have done that and even my perfect s2 doesnt have the ideal transition but plays hd/mkv codecs well...have you realized that the screen is pentile?that it will really render colors and gamma unevenly than other amoled device?anyways im not a screen expert nor am i not bothered by this screen issue but ill wait for the next build.ive seen progress so far and if ics doesnt fix it totally im moving on to another release

jkc120

Sep 8, 2010
yes, absolutely.

Yeah, I keep bringing the issue up with video examples, but I should stop doing that, because it's evident even on static images. There isn't a nice smooth gradual fade to black there are obvious concentric "chunks" of color instead of a smooth transition (or all being "black" as I guess you'd see on LCD). I don't think it's fixable in software, I think it's some sort of hardware (or firmware for the display/screen) that isn't fixable via software.

Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping this can be fixed (I'm on a Nexus, but have the same issue as the Note), but I'm starting to think it can't be done and it's just either a limitation of the screen or something Samsung would have to fix physically on the device (or by somehow flashing internal video firmware that can't be touched by a custom ROM/etc). :(

letters_to_cleo

Jan 23, 2012
Portsmouth, N.H.
On my side, I would hold off first any kind of 'decisive' decision and judgement (put to rest for now), until Official ICS has been released and tried on the Note already...

Just like Forest Gump would say... "Life is just a box of Chocolate... You never know what you might gonna get..." :p

jkc120

Sep 8, 2010
On my side, I would hold off first any kind of 'decisive' decision and judgement (put to rest for now), until Official ICS has been released and tried on the Note already...

Just like Forest Gump would say... "Life is just a box of Chocolate... You never know what you might gonna get..." :p

I wouldn't hold your breath. If ICS magically fixed it, I wouldn't have the issue on my galaxy nexus....

letters_to_cleo

Jan 23, 2012
Portsmouth, N.H.
I wouldn't hold your breath. If ICS magically fixed it, I wouldn't have the issue on my galaxy nexus....

Agree, but who knows.. the Nexus is NOT the NOTE and the Note is not a Nexus....

Anyway I'll hold my ground until the Official ICS for the Note is release by then... and only then I will reserve my better judgement if indeed it's a hardware or just a software issue.

:p

jermitano

Oct 8, 2011
Manila
like what cleo said...its 2 different things...ive seen the issues on the nexus via their threads...sucks that from the start of ics its already there..but in the note's case every new release there is somewhat of an improvement (well for me)...the dark shades, the gamma, the lockscreen wallpaper problem etc...but if you are stuck with the stock firmware i guess you have samsung to blame for that...and yeah the hardware has limitations, so if we have problems we can always forward it to them...what i dont understand is that some people here try to pull down other people into the screen problem mix and then provide no definite possible way of augmenting those issues...and much more accusing people of settling and lowering standard requirements...personally i bought the phone so as i could play with it and learn stuff...test roms, builds, kernels and hack and mod if possible...if some guys want total media/multiplayer experience then go buy an ipad or a tablet with no issues...every device has a problem inherent to it...if you are not satisfied or have no ability or even the patience to find solutions then you have no business of owning them...this is one the reasons why someone here got flamed a lot of times for complaining too much and having no evidence to back it up...

M3TALLICA

Nov 14, 2011
I certainly missed something here. Which application should I use to decrease saturation of gray color? Has Supercurio found a solution?
Blah blah blah, I am not a whiner who'll whine all his life about note's screen, write THESIS and add it to my signature.
Whatever the gray screen problem is, it does not affect usability and productivity.
Yawns zzzzzzzzz

Reactions: jermitano

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
I certainly missed something here. Which application should I use to decrease saturation of gray color? Has Supercurio found a solution?
Blah blah blah, I am not a whiner who'll whine all his life about note's screen, write THESIS and add it to my signature.
Whatever the gray screen problem is, it does not affect usability and productivity.
Yawns zzzzzzzzz

Im not aware of any specific 'grey screen problem' but why would be looking for a solution if it does not affect your usability and productivity, just curios.

Flightless

Aug 23, 2011
oh ok...have done that and even my perfect s2 doesnt have the ideal transition but plays hd/mkv codecs well...have you realized that the screen is pentile?that it will really render colors and gamma unevenly than other amoled device?anyways im not a screen expert nor am i not bothered by this screen issue but ill wait for the next build.ive seen progress so far and if ics doesnt fix it totally im moving on to another release

I still have a Galaxy S and I recently received a free Galaxy S2 from my service provider and I've tried watching several HD movies on both devices and I dont see a hint of black clipping but color banding is there.

I did however return my Note because of the said issue, it was very unacceptable to me as it affected my regular usage and it also had an very undesirable impact on the images I needed to show my clients, but my point is this, What is your business on this thread to begin with since you claim this is a non issue for you, you seem to be harassing people who already made peace with this issue and moved on or it was resolved by the manufacturer. I actually question your motives on this thread. I see EarlZ is very vocal about this issue but I no longer see him complaining after he posted that Samsung already provided a resolution to him, I actually see that your the one whining for no valid reason at all, please try to keep a civil discussion or just stick to the confines of your own thread. No offense intended.

O_G

Retired Senior Moderator / Retired ET Admin
Jul 8, 2007
Thread Cleaned

I have cleaned some posts from the last few pages of this thread. I will not tolerate any flaming, if you do not have any thing constructive to add to this thread, then dont post!​

jermitano

Oct 8, 2011
Manila
Thread Cleaned

I have cleaned some posts from the last few pages of this thread. I will not tolerate any flaming, if you do not have any thing constructive to add to this thread, then dont post!​

i sincerely apologize for that mate...was just heated over the tag made which was in our language and doesnt sound respectable...apologies again...back to the topic

Last edited:

Flightless

Aug 23, 2011
Please just give it a rest, what you are doing now is just making up excuses, what you said was already said and a moderated had to remove it because it was very offensive, I think you need to recheck how you construct your post since you are really approaching things aggressively and your not really helping anyone or the thread, again please give it a rest

Last edited:

M3TALLICA

Nov 14, 2011
@original_ganjaman, My apologies too, nothing personal. Lost my temper there. This won't happen again.

jkc120

Sep 8, 2010
Just so I am sure that the issue I'm most aware of on the Nexus also occurs on the Note and is on-topic, is this one of the issues (see attached pic)?

I took a few different pictures @ different exposure times. This one is 0.5s and most closely matches what I see with the naked eye. It gets worse at higher brightness actually. For lack of a better way to describe it, it's like a "stepping gradient" instead of a smooth one. I can make it more gray than purplish with the colorcontrol mode to tweak the color/gamma, but the 3-4 different abrupt gradient levels are still there.

Just wondering if it's the same issue and if SuperC's work is intended to address this. Because if so, I would definitely donate to get this work ported to the Nexus. :)

Attachments

• 0.5s_exposure.jpg
    0.5s_exposure.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 308

O_G

Retired Senior Moderator / Retired ET Admin
Jul 8, 2007
PLEASE JUST STOP.

We can't afford to have this thread get locked... :(

This is going to be the final warning, if this continues the thread will be locked and infractions issued, as i take any other flaming/pointless posts as failing to cooperate with a moderator, and i am sure you all know what that means! I dont want to lock this thread as i could be helpful, but if this continues i will have no choice. On topic posts only from this point. Once again i have removed post to keep the peace.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi dear Galaxy Note owners.

As many of you I'm not quite satisfied by Galaxy Note screen.
    Most of the feedback reveal sub-par results, despite we all know the potential here is huge (to say the least).

References:
    - [Q] Galaxy Note Screen Issues!!!
    - [Q] Video on Note

Worst offender being shadows rendering: my diagnostic: what's supposed to be dark is not so dark.. and then boom its black (ie black clipping)
    As a result color look dull, some UI elements show not quite as they're supposed to, and videos exhibit awful banding, blocking and ringing artifacts.

That's why I can announce here I started working on Galaxy Note screen color.

Don't expect immediate results as it's a complex topic and I'm working on other projects where users expect updates (like Voodoo LOUDER), but I wanted to give keep you updated.
    And after that.. there will be fixes and solutions.
    − be patient.
    Next step:
    Measurements with a colorimeter, at several brightness levels.
    Just to inform you I developed the technology I needed as driver while working on Voodoo Sound.

It means I'm one step closer for the new gen application.
    I reworked the color profile; On my device there's no green cast anymore now even at lowest brightness modes.

Epic.
    I hope it will translate well on other devices I well but for once I'm almost confident.