Blocking Mode found on the Verizon Note 2. Not fully functional.

Search This thread

bsweetness

Mar 27, 2009
Well, bad news folks. It seems that while we can indeed get to Blocking Mode, it doesn't appear to be fully functional. When I first found it and tested it out, it successfully blocked the calls I made from my computer via Gmail and Skype. But after some further tests this afternoon, it didn't actually block any calls made by some friends via their cell phones. So, while it's there, it doesn't seem like it's fully functional. At the very least, maybe this gives us some hope for someone out there to find a way to get it working consistently or that Verizon will enable it in a future update.

I was playing around with one of my favorite apps Any Cut. Regrettably, Any Cut (which isn't available in the Play Store any more) doesn't work correctly on Jelly Bean, but it works enough to be able to take a look at many of the shortcuts it's able to find. And low and behold, Blocking Mode was in the list. Since Any Cut is problematic on Jelly Bean (it kind of works, but not completely), I found another app on the Play Store that operates in much the same way that Any Cut does - QuickShortcutMaker.

No root required!

Here's how to get to it:

1) Download QuickShortcutMaker from the Play Store. (Note: the app closed on me a few times while trying to use it, but it eventually worked)

2) After QuickShortcutMaker installs, open it up.

3) Type Blocking Mode in the text field. The app is pretty slow when it comes to populating the available shortcuts, so it might take a little bit. Once it finishes, tap on the first result at the top (It will say "Settings" with Blocking mode underneath it.

4) Rename the shortcut to whatever you want. It's named "Settings" by default, and I changed mine to "Blocking Mode."

5) Tap "OK."

6) You'll now have a shortcut on your homescreen that will take you right into Blocking Mode (the icon will be a cog just like the Settings icon). Open it up and and block away! (Note: the shortcut on your homescreen will be the only way to access Blocking Mode, so if you delete it, you'll have to create a new one in order to get back into the settings for it)

Known issues:

The app will force close when trying to add contacts to the custom allowed contact list. But it seems to work fine when selecting "Favorites" as opposed to creating a new custom list. So if adding contacts to a custom list is force closing for you, add the contacts that you want to come through to your general favorites list when Blocking Mode is enabled, and then use the Favorites option in the Blocking Mode settings.

Last edited:

Rnd0209

Nov 20, 2010
Thank you!! Now lets figure out how to get the S Planner widget on this thing.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: johntuck77

loggainsd

Nov 27, 2009
Nice find! When I add custom contacts or force closes.any of yall havingthat problem?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

bsweetness

Mar 27, 2009
Nice find! When I add custom contacts or force closes.any of yall havingthat problem?

I am as well. It's probably due to the fact that Verizon doesn't have it fully implemented. Try adding the contacts you want to come through to your general contacts favorites list and then select the favorites option in Blocking Mode. That worked for me. I've updated the original post to reflect this.

Last edited:
Reactions: loggainsd

Hitman3984

Jun 13, 2010
North Providence, RI
Cant help but think Samsung left it in on purpose so we'd find it and shove it to vzw.
Alot of speculation was they leaked the insecure bootloader for the gs3 as well.

This is a great find, thanks.

Last edited:

bsweetness

Mar 27, 2009
OK im a bit lost . can someone pls tell me what blocking mode is and what it does?

Blocking mode allows you to set a specified period of time during which the phone will not ring. But you can set it so that the phone will still ring for certain contacts during the time it's enabled.

For instance, I don't want to be disturbed while I'm sleeping by random calls or texts, but I don't put my phone into silent mode while I'm asleep because I'm worried that I'll miss an emergency call from family. With Blocking Mode, I can block all calls/notifications from coming through except calls/notifications from certain people. So calls/notifications that I feel might be important, like from family or certain friends, will come through, but all others won't. That way I'm only woken up by people who I feel are important enough to wake up for.

It's also helpful in other situations when you're busy and don't want to be disturbed except by certain people.

Reactions: crazydad and Tkun

DaRkL3AD3R

Dec 5, 2010
Wow EXCELLENT find OP!!! Much kudos to you!

I can't help but feel so offended by Verizon and how they butchered this great phone, or rather tried to...

After almost a month solid holding it back from us, they finally release it and what do you know? They strip it of features that are intended to be part of the phone as sold by Samsung. The fact that it's still there but HIDDEN is proof of this concept.

We need to send this info to all the big phone journalism sites out there like Engadget, Gizmodo, Droid-Life etc and blow some serious smoke up Verizon's ass. Let them know we are disgusted by their attempts to remove features from our phones that no other carrier has done.

Hopefully they realize they were wrong and to fix the negative publicity they decide to send out an update that adds the missing features back. They better :mad:

Reactions: johntuck77

bsweetness

Mar 27, 2009

I can't help but feel so offended by Verizon and how they butchered this great phone, or rather tried to...

After almost a month solid holding it back from us, they finally release it and what do you know? They strip it of features that are intended to be part of the phone as sold by Samsung. The fact that it's still there but HIDDEN is proof of this concept.

We need to send this info to all the big phone journalism sites out there like Engadget, Gizmodo, Droid-Life etc and blow some serious smoke up Verizon's ass. Let them know we are disgusted by their attempts to remove features from our phones that no other carrier has done.

Hopefully they realize they were wrong and to fix the negative publicity they decide to send out an update that adds the missing features back. They better :mad:

I sent it into Droid-Life this morning after I found it, and a short time ago they posted a story about it - How to: Enable "Blocking Mode" on Verizon's Galaxy Note 2

I doubt this particular issue will get enough coverage to cause any measurable negative publicity, but hopefully it can at least bring some of the stuff Verizon is choosing to do to light for a greater audience.

crazydad

May 25, 2011
Virginia
Blocking mode allows you to set a specified period of time during which the phone will not ring. But you can set it so that the phone will still ring for certain contacts during the time it's enabled.

For instance, I don't want to be disturbed while I'm sleeping by random calls or texts, but I don't put my phone into silent mode while I'm asleep because I'm worried that I'll miss an emergency call from family. With Blocking Mode, I can block all calls/notifications from coming through except calls/notifications from certain people. So calls/notifications that I feel might be important, like from family or certain friends, will come through, but all others won't. That way I'm only woken up by people who I feel are important enough to wake up for.

It's also helpful in other situations when you're busy and don't want to be disturbed except by certain people.

Cool thats what i tought. Thanks for verifying for me!

TeeX2.0

Jul 4, 2011
tried this, and like others got the force closes when trying to add contacts to "custom". Problem is, this isn't working. I even tried allowing no contacts (to block everything), and every call or text still goes through! :(

I tried this by calling from my work phone (that isn't anywhere in my contact list), and even call or texting from my regular contacts. These should all be blocked, but they all get through- texts and calls.

I've tried rebooting, but nothing seems to be blocked.

?

tithefug

Dec 21, 2010
Cool thats what i tought. Thanks for verifying for me!

This can also be achieved using a custom Launcher like Nova or Apex. To do this, long press on the home screen, click "Shortcuts" --> "Activities" --> "Blocking Mode".

Granted, the OP way uses the stock TouchWiz, but just offering another solution.

Enjoy!

bsweetness

Mar 27, 2009
tried this, and like others got the force closes when trying to add contacts to "custom". Problem is, this isn't working. I even tried allowing no contacts (to block everything), and every call or text still goes through! :(

I tried this by calling from my work phone (that isn't anywhere in my contact list), and even call or texting from my regular contacts. These should all be blocked, but they all get through- texts and calls.

I've tried rebooting, but nothing seems to be blocked.

?

Yeah, the original post has been updated to reflect the fact that it's actually not fully functional.

At least it gives us some hope that perhaps someone can get it functioning or that it will be enabled in the future.

TeeX2.0

Jul 4, 2011
bummer. I hoped I was just doing something wrong :(

loggainsd

Nov 27, 2009
Even setting it to favorite contacts doesn't work for me

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, bad news folks. It seems that while we can indeed get to Blocking Mode, it doesn't appear to be fully functional. When I first found it and tested it out, it successfully blocked the calls I made from my computer via Gmail and Skype. But after some further tests this afternoon, it didn't actually block any calls made by some friends via their cell phones. So, while it's there, it doesn't seem like it's fully functional. At the very least, maybe this gives us some hope for someone out there to find a way to get it working consistently or that Verizon will enable it in a future update.

I was playing around with one of my favorite apps Any Cut. Regrettably, Any Cut (which isn't available in the Play Store any more) doesn't work correctly on Jelly Bean, but it works enough to be able to take a look at many of the shortcuts it's able to find. And low and behold, Blocking Mode was in the list. Since Any Cut is problematic on Jelly Bean (it kind of works, but not completely), I found another app on the Play Store that operates in much the same way that Any Cut does - QuickShortcutMaker.

No root required!

Here's how to get to it:

1) Download QuickShortcutMaker from the Play Store. (Note: the app closed on me a few times while trying to use it, but it eventually worked)

2) After QuickShortcutMaker installs, open it up.

3) Type Blocking Mode in the text field. The app is pretty slow when it comes to populating the available shortcuts, so it might take a little bit. Once it finishes, tap on the first result at the top (It will say "Settings" with Blocking mode underneath it.

4) Rename the shortcut to whatever you want. It's named "Settings" by default, and I changed mine to "Blocking Mode."

5) Tap "OK."

6) You'll now have a shortcut on your homescreen that will take you right into Blocking Mode (the icon will be a cog just like the Settings icon). Open it up and and block away! (Note: the shortcut on your homescreen will be the only way to access Blocking Mode, so if you delete it, you'll have to create a new one in order to get back into the settings for it)

Known issues:

The app will force close when trying to add contacts to the custom allowed contact list. But it seems to work fine when selecting "Favorites" as opposed to creating a new custom list. So if adding contacts to a custom list is force closing for you, add the contacts that you want to come through to your general favorites list when Blocking Mode is enabled, and then use the Favorites option in the Blocking Mode settings.
    OK im a bit lost . can someone pls tell me what blocking mode is and what it does?

Thank you!! Now lets figure out how to get the S Planner widget on this thing.

I am as well. It's probably due to the fact that Verizon doesn't have it fully implemented. Try adding the contacts you want to come through to your general contacts favorites list and then select the favorites option in Blocking Mode. That worked for me. I've updated the original post to reflect this.