[Q] HUGE System Data file

Search This thread

weskoerber

Jan 15, 2014
I am having a bit of trouble with my "System Data" file being abnormally large. At first I thought that it meant that I had low space, so I went moved all my pictures, music, etc on my external SD card.

No luck with that. The next thing that I thought was that it could have been my backups from rooting my device, since I have been searching for the solution to this problem for a rather long time now, I have found out that CWM backups can take up quite a bit of space, but I had all my backups on my external SD card, so that ruled out another possible cause.

Also, I have read on another thread that Google Contacts Sync could take up a lot of space...

After getting slightly discouraged, I resulted to going back to the internet and looking for other possible causes. I read that somehow Google backs up your photos that you take on your device, so I wondered if the backed up photos could have somehow snuck into that "System Data" file. I searched for a while, and finally gave up.

So, the question is, what is taking up all this space, and how do I get rid of it??? Thanks in advance.

Here is a screenshot of my storage followed by DiskUsage:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-02-22-15-27-45.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-02-22-15-27-45.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot_2014-02-22-15-29-00.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-22-15-29-00.png
    252.3 KB · Views: 95

laughingT

Oct 30, 2011
Oakland, CA
Google Pixel 6a
Try getting SD Maid from google play. It does much more than manage sd. On a rooted phone, it will let you clean stray corpses, temp files, app data, logs, etc. I recommend that you get the pro license key. Invaluable tool. You can also find developers app thread here on xda.

When I first used it on a cm10.0 rom last year, it freed up about 300 MB.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

SDMaid thread
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1013063

weskoerber

Jan 15, 2014
Thanks laughingT, I cleaned all I could, and it freed up about .6Gib...there is still something taking up 9.51Gib of space!! Anything else?

laughingT

Oct 30, 2011
Oakland, CA
Google Pixel 6a
When you run the largest files tab i sdmaid, what does it show you?

Can you look at /data/media folder with xplore or another root file manager? Have you got some clockworkmod nandroid backup?

Lastly, open terminal emulator, enter su, snd enter, then enter df, enter. it should show you all mounts and used space in each.

mattio781

Feb 3, 2009
Tacoma
Check you estrongs file on your favorite file manager, there is where you trash goes, it's just a recycle bin that to empty, I the issue a while ago and it figured out, let me know if that fixed the issue

Sent from my task powered gs3