Absolutely terrible battery life and overheating. known fix?

Search This thread

darkleafar

Sep 12, 2010
Is this a common issue with this phone ? It is 4 pm and my phone is at 27%. Unplugged it at 630am this morning . Hardly used it today, and already charged it during lunch time for 30 ,minutes , and charged on my way to work as well. It overheats significantly , to the point I have to take it out if my pocket because it's too warm. I'm always closing apps and try to keep brightness at a minimum. I forced switched to the v 20 from the Note 7, and god how I miss my note 7. I'm at a point were I have to carry an external battery with me even when I'm at home. Any help would be appreciated.

shwnr11

Jun 26, 2014
Is this a common issue with this phone ? It is 4 pm and my phone is at 27%. Unplugged it at 630am this morning . Hardly used it today, and already charged it during lunch time for 30 ,minutes , and charged on my way to work as well. It overheats significantly , to the point I have to take it out if my pocket because it's too warm. I'm always closing apps and try to keep brightness at a minimum. I forced switched to the v 20 from the Note 7, and god how I miss my note 7. I'm at a point were I have to carry an external battery with me even when I'm at home. Any help would be appreciated.

It depends on alot of things as to why its doing it.
Like how many apps have you tranfered over from an older device instead of starting from scratch.

What apps do you have running on V20?

What's the refresh rate on apps your running?

Do you have battery saver apps installed or app killer apps installed? If so, remove them from the phone.

Have you tried a factory reset?

How about a battery pull?

How long has this been going on?

darkleafar

Sep 12, 2010
It depends on alot of things as to why its doing it.
Like how many apps have you tranfered over from an older device instead of starting from scratch.

What apps do you have running on V20?

What's the refresh rate on apps your running?

Do you have battery saver apps installed or app killer apps installed? If so, remove them from the phone.

Have you tried a factory reset?

How about a battery pull?

[quote name="darkleafar" post=70380821]Is this a common issue with this phone ? It is 4 pm and my phone is at 27%. Unplugged it at 630am this morning . Hardly used it today, and already charged it during lunch time for 30 ,minutes , and charged on my way to work as well. It overheats significantly , to the point I have to take it out if my pocket because it's too warm. I'm always closing apps and try to keep brightness at a minimum. I forced switched to the v 20 from the Note 7, and god how I miss my note 7. I'm at a point were I have to carry an external battery with me even when I'm at home. Any help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]<br />
<br />
It depends on alot of things as to why its doing it.<br />
Like how many apps have you tranfered over from an older device instead of starting from scratch.<br />
Over 100 apps
<br />
What apps do you have running on V20?<br />
Nothing major. Mostly use it for streaming and smart home control. I always make sure to close apps when not in use
<br />
What's the refresh rate on apps your running?<br />
Facebook and email are updating based on push notifications. But according to battery consumption they are not a major factor. Plus I'm not doing anything different that I used to do on my note 7 and yet the result is entirely worse.
<br />
Do you have battery saver apps installed or app killer apps installed? If so, remove them from the phone.<br />
<br />
None
Have you tried a factory reset?<br />
<br />
Not yet. Thinking about it
How about a battery pull?<br />
<br />
Haven't tried. Didn't really see how that would help
Since day one.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

shwnr11

Jun 26, 2014
If it's been going on since day one.
I would first start with a factory reset, than install apps straight from Google one by one.

Do not do transfers of apps. Especially when going from older android 6 to newer android 7.

Yes battery pull can fix issues over unknown heating. Had the issue myself a hand full of times off and on. But they have stopped.

But your problem sounds more like a bad app or a bad phone. I'd try the cleaning up of apps first before returning the phone.

chrisdg74

Jan 20, 2017
I also had to ditch a Note 7. I have had the issue with TWO V20s. Apps dont really close and then the phone gets hot and drains the battery. It happens 2-3 times a week. This week, it was Facebook Sunday, Chrome Tuesday, and the Weather Channel app yesterday. I have to force stop the app to get it to stop. I have done factory resets, comlplete wipes etc. Nothing works. I have sent the phone back to LG, they "fixed" it , and 2 days later it was doing it again. LG won't do anything but "fix" it again, leaving me without a phone for 10 days, which is unacceptable. I'm going to switch to a different phone. Never buying another LG product, ever...

Last edited:

masondoctorjt

Apr 18, 2010
LG V60 ThinQ
Either you have an app misbehaving or a bad phone. I can get 24-48 hours easy when using my v20 lightly. I never run out before the end of the day when using it moderate to heavy. Only time mine got warm and used battery was right after the last update while it had "upgrading Android" in the notification area. After it was done it cooled down and battery life is better than before the update.

Sent from my LG-V521 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Reactions: bundee1

chrisdg74

Jan 20, 2017
Add another app...

The stock calculator, that comes pre-loaded just caused the phone to get hot and drain the battery after use.
Used the calculator for maybe a minute, then closed it. Phone got hot and the battery drained 10% in 5 minutes, until I force-closed the app.
Verizon is sending me a loaner Galaxy S5 to use, while I, once again, send the V20 back to LG for them to "fix".
Trying to build my case for getting out of this clunker, especially since a 2nd, refurbished, phone did the same thing.

Last edited:

androiddiego

May 16, 2015
West Palm
Remove facebook app and messenger

This. Use your browser to access facebook. The most recent update for the Facebook app is a battery hog on all platforms.
I don't use the Facebook app or Facebook messenger app and have no battery issues. Get rid of them and see how it works. If it doesn't change anything then you need to try and remove some other apps until you can narrow it down.

chrisdg74

Jan 20, 2017
This. Use your browser to access facebook. The most recent update for the Facebook app is a battery hog on all platforms.
I don't use the Facebook app or Facebook messenger app and have no battery issues. Get rid of them and see how it works. If it doesn't change anything then you need to try and remove some other apps until you can narrow it down.

FWIW, the Facebook app I had on my V20 was 2 updates old......I deliberately did not update it. Phone still overheats and drains the battery. The 2nd V20 - didn't even have Facebook on it, and had the same issue. In fact, it had NOTHING, other than what was on it, right out of the box.

Last edited:

up8000

Jul 22, 2012
It has happened to me 3 times now, I pull battery for about 2-3 minutes and whatever app or process causing it resets. I've tried closing recent apps, restart, etc. doesn't work. I have a temp monitor installed and it got up to 116F and the battery drops so fast. Just waiting it out to the Note 8.....................

chrisdg74

Jan 20, 2017
It has happened to me 3 times now, I pull battery for about 2-3 minutes and whatever app or process causing it resets. I've tried closing recent apps, restart, etc. doesn't work. I have a temp monitor installed and it got up to 116F and the battery drops so fast. Just waiting it out to the Note 8.....................

If you're able to remember the last app you used, you can force-stop it in settings. That will save you the time of pulling the battery. Happened to me three times LAST WEEK.

Reactions: up8000

exist2resist

Nov 18, 2010
Calgary
Google Pixel 3 XL
FWIW, the Facebook app I had on my V20 was 2 updates old......I deliberately did not update it. Phone still overheats and drains the battery. The 2nd V20 - didn't even have Facebook on it, and had the same issue. In fact, it had NOTHING, other than what was on it, right out of the box.

It's the location services on the LG V20.
You need to go to settings > location services ... change it from "high accuracy mode" to "Networks only (Battery Saver)"
Also disable your Facebook app in the apps, and make sure you don't have Snap Chat installed, if you do go into Snap Chat and set the roaming data option in the app it will prevent it from constantly downloading updates in the background.

Reactions: frsh20

chrisdg74

Jan 20, 2017
It's the location services on the LG V20.
You need to go to settings > location services ... change it from "high accuracy mode" to "Networks only (Battery Saver)"
Also disable your Facebook app in the apps, and make sure you don't have Snap Chat installed, if you do go into Snap Chat and set the roaming data option in the app it will prevent it from constantly downloading updates in the background.

1. Networks only/Battery saver - I set it to that on every new phone I get., including both V20s. Phone has overheated with location turned completely off.
2. Facebook app has been disabled since it caused the overheat 1/15. Phone has overheated 3 times since, and FB is still disabled.
3.Don't have SnapChat installed.
This appears to be a fairly common issue. I have seen similar threads on AndroidCentral, Verizon community forums, droid-life to name a few.

Last edited:

crazyut

I only charge once every two or three days and I'm a heavy user. Never had it get hot except when I was backing up in TWRP. Of course, I don't run Facebook, Snapchat, or Instagram (but I do run Twitter, as a system app) or the advanced location services (HIGH) though.

Nick281051

May 5, 2010
Northport, NY
I also had to ditch a Note 7. I have had the issue with TWO V20s. Apps dont really close and then the phone gets hot and drains the battery. It happens 2-3 times a week. This week, it was Facebook Sunday, Chrome Tuesday, and the Weather Channel app yesterday. I have to force stop the app to get it to stop. I have done factory resets, comlplete wipes etc. Nothing works. I have sent the phone back to LG, they "fixed" it , and 2 days later it was doing it again. LG won't do anything but "fix" it again, leaving me without a phone for 10 days, which is unacceptable. I'm going to switch to a different phone. Never buying another LG product, ever...
My dad and I both have replacement devices due to the same issues. Anne then my dad's replacement just did it again, we're not happy and at&t isn't willing to do anything

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

exist2resist

Nov 18, 2010
Calgary
Google Pixel 3 XL
That sucks. This is why I'm somewhat hesitant to root my device it seems riddled with problems. I have a feeling I won't be keeping the V20 for more than a year. I miss my HTC M8 that was a solid phone.

reaktor TuT

Jul 2, 2014
Sydney
I have H990DS model and no overheating. I run a lot of apps but not Facebook!

I've had this phone for 3 months without serious issue. Perhaps something associated with Verizon is chewing your battery? I bought a spare battery early January and so far I haven't needed to use it. Start work at 6:30am and phone is nearing death at 10pm with moderate to heavy use.

The phone runs MUCH cooler than my HTC One M9 & M7. I'm very happy so far.

sig-239

Jan 30, 2013
That sucks. This is why I'm somewhat hesitant to root my device it seems riddled with problems. I have a feeling I won't be keeping the V20 for more than a year. I miss my HTC M8 that was a solid phone.

LOL Tell me I picked up a m9 after loving my m8, big disappointment. But the m9 makes a great hand warmer in the cold.
Looking at picking up a v20 or s7 edge. Reading the heat problems here is making wonder, don't want one more hot phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Remove facebook app and messenger
    My wife's V20 recently had a drain/wakelock issue accompanied by overheating at idle.. It turns out there must have been some tiny bit of junk in the USB port causing the phone to search for an otg device (kernel wakelock-used gsam battery monitor app to find the cause).

I took the back cover off, removed the back inner casing, and exposed the motherboard, pulled up the bottom slightly where the USB port was, and dipped a toothbrush in 94% alcohol and lightly brushed the port all around and inside. Put it back together after blowing it out with light air pressure, dried it, and all issues are now gone.
    sì, ho appena rimosso il browser Chrome. ora va bene
    ancora una cosa non posso parlare italiano;)
    English please.

Sent from my LG V20 using XDA Labs
    Either you have an app misbehaving or a bad phone. I can get 24-48 hours easy when using my v20 lightly. I never run out before the end of the day when using it moderate to heavy. Only time mine got warm and used battery was right after the last update while it had "upgrading Android" in the notification area. After it was done it cooled down and battery life is better than before the update.

Sent from my LG-V521 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

If you're able to remember the last app you used, you can force-stop it in settings. That will save you the time of pulling the battery. Happened to me three times LAST WEEK.