Oneplus 6 auto brightness issue

Search This thread

capactus

Dec 23, 2008
Bennekom
When auto brightness is enabled and I'm viewing the phone in direct sunlight, the maximum brightness seems to change really quickly. It brightens and dims quickly, almost qausing a feeling of screenflicker.
With auto brightness off, the problem is non existent.

It only happens when the phone hits 100% brightness. Anyone noticed this. And is there a solution other than turning auto brightness off?

snaker445

Jul 18, 2008
Sibiu
I finally gave up and installed the Lux app. Hopefully they will solve the issue in the next updates.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

TheNetwork

Apr 6, 2011
You're all insane. This phone has the best auto brightness I've ever used. It's very responsive without changing so fast that it becomes an issue in flickering light conditions like walking past trees where sunlight filters through or something.

Septfox

OLED displays have two "maximum" brightnesses; the normal maximum, which is intended for full-time use, and High Brightness/Sunlight Mode, which maxes the pixel brightnesses out for temporary outdoors full-sunlight usage.

The OP6 might have the threshold for what it considers "full sunlight" set too high, which would cause a lot of flickering in the event that the phone isn't held perfectly still in sunlight because of the light sensor output dancing back and forth across the threshold.

There's probably no changing it until someone rolls out a custom kernel in which it can be disabled or tweaked, in the meantime you can find auto-brightness apps on the Play Store that let you set custom curves (note that this'll probably require root). Hopefully OnePlus will fix it in the stock kernel themselves, terrible auto-brightness can make or break a phone in my opinion : \

Reactions: capactus

Frakatchoo

Dec 9, 2009
Paris
Auto-Brightness is too dark for me too... Hope OnePlus will be updated this, or add the possibility to adjust the Auto-Brightness.

Reactions: rubino25

neohq

Jun 8, 2014
Cluj
OnePlus 7 Pro
The minimum auto-brightness can be adjusted from the slider, it will still be auto increasing when needed but it won't go below your threshold.
I'm testing this for a few days and it's working perfect, the minimum was also to low for me initially.

I've tested the auto-brightness with a flashlight:

Last edited:
Reactions: DoobyDroid

herecomesmaggi

Jan 20, 2013
Lucknow
When auto brightness is enabled and I'm viewing the phone in direct sunlight, the maximum brightness seems to change really quickly. It brightens and dims quickly, almost qausing a feeling of screenflicker.
With auto brightness off, the problem is non existent.

It only happens when the phone hits 100% brightness. Anyone noticed this. And is there a solution other than turning auto brightness off?

EVERYONE WITH BRIGHTNESS ISSUE,
There are No problems with screen, it's flawless.. Although people dealing with auto brightness issue,should disable the night mode.. Cause when night mode is active, auto brightness tends to use more dark screen as dark as possible..

Regards.

capactus

Dec 23, 2008
Bennekom
EVERYONE WITH BRIGHTNESS ISSUE,
There are No problems with screen, it's flawless.. Although people dealing with auto brightness issue,should disable the night mode.. Cause when night mode is active, auto brightness tends to use more dark screen as dark as possible..

Regards.

I never said I have problems with the screen. Auto brightness is causing issues at Max brightness.

Night mode is off. Thanks for your comment though. :)

herecomesmaggi

Jan 20, 2013
Lucknow
I never said I have problems with the screen. Auto brightness is causing issues at Max brightness.

Night mode is off. Thanks for your comment though. :)

Actually I like yellow tinted screen(warm colors) , for that I enabled night mode. Since then I was facing problems like too dark in direct sun on auto brightness. Too dark even in room. Today I accidentally turned off night mode while showing handset to my friends.. And voila brightness got up nd up nd up... I tried in direct sunlight, now I don't have any problem viewing my handset even after wearing shades..

If there is still problem in ur auto brightness then bro I strongly suggest u to compare ur handset with other op6 cause it could be a manufacturing defects... I heard a developer got flickering issues, he returned handset..

Regards.

Pdunn154

Sep 8, 2018
I have auto tightness issue also. Have not noticed flashing, but screen dims often. Even when using phone, and in a steady lighted area such as indoors.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For me autobrightness is useless. Simply too dark in all conditions. Also max brightness is not enough for when you have direct sun on the screen.
    For me autobrightness is useless. Simply too dark in all conditions. Also max brightness is not enough for when you have direct sun on the screen.

I have noticed the same, it's usually too dark for my taste.. would be nice if you could config how dim it goes automatically.
    Yes I noticed this today just got mine today and sat out in sun with auto brightness on it was flashing like mad ,

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    OLED displays have two "maximum" brightnesses; the normal maximum, which is intended for full-time use, and High Brightness/Sunlight Mode, which maxes the pixel brightnesses out for temporary outdoors full-sunlight usage.

The OP6 might have the threshold for what it considers "full sunlight" set too high, which would cause a lot of flickering in the event that the phone isn't held perfectly still in sunlight because of the light sensor output dancing back and forth across the threshold.

There's probably no changing it until someone rolls out a custom kernel in which it can be disabled or tweaked, in the meantime you can find auto-brightness apps on the Play Store that let you set custom curves (note that this'll probably require root). Hopefully OnePlus will fix it in the stock kernel themselves, terrible auto-brightness can make or break a phone in my opinion : \
    Couldn't agree more autobrightness seems too dark on my op6. Under direct sunlight, I have to disable auto and full the bar myself..