[How-to] R800x Root

Search This thread

Mills00013

Oct 12, 2007
We can no longer unlock your bootloader with codes. Please do not ask me or ash for bootloader unlock codes. We can not help you.

This thread is now here for historical purposes representing times when people were free to do what they wanted with their devices. Fsck yourself with a rake, Verizon.

The bootloader has been unlocked. Let's get our freaking root on.

Disclaimer: Read through these instructions in their entirety. If these don't make sense to you, you do not need to be rooting your phone. Nobody here has the time required to teach you how to use cmd in Windows. We will not baby step you through how to use ClockworkMod Recovery. Root is not a mythical land with fairies and unicorns where nothing ever goes bad. If you don't know how to properly install a driver in Windows, you probably don't need an Android device to begin with, let alone a rooted one.

These instructions are intentionally left vague. Do your research on these terms. Understand what you are doing before you do it.

tldr: if you fsck your phone up, it's on you and only you.

Easy Way (YRMV!)

This is by far the easiest method. You will have to read between the lines here. I will not detail all the steps. Please record your experiences in this thread and let me know how it all goes! We're all still learning. This is basically copied from Bin4ry's CWMR Thread so thanks go to him! The easy steps below assume a lot of basic knowledge steps. Like unlocking the bootloader. If you're unsure of what to do, you probably shouldn't be doing it.

1. Download the CWM recovery from multiupload
  2. Boot off of that file (DO NOT FLASH): fastboot boot recoveryPLAY.img
  3. Copy this to your memory card and flash it with the booted recovery
  4. Reboot and test root

Second Method: Advanced User Instructions
  1. Unlock your bootloader. Check out Ash's thread: thread
  2. Download Doom's all in one kernel from here
  3. Use fastboot to "hot boot" the kernel: fastboot boot boot.img
  4. Your phone may or may not boot. It doesn't matter. Let it be for a while, then power it off.
  5. Doom's kernel will have rooted your stock system.

If You're On A Mac...

Or maybe just need some general help with some more detailed insturctions than are labeled here, check out the awesome post that Cubsfan3493 made for everyone. He's even got a downloadable PDF with pictures. Go give him some thanks at his post!

Last edited:

axiomjunglist

Apr 12, 2011
Is the R800x running 2.3.2 or 2.3.3. There's reports that Gingerbreak and alternatives are no longer working in 2.3.3.

Mills00013

Oct 12, 2007
It's running 2.3.2 right now. OTA updates say its up to date. I'm trying to figure out if I'm just having a generic issue with the breaks (like memory cards for example) or if Verizon maybe patched the exploit in their 2.3.2 build.

b00sted

Dec 24, 2009
Mount Morris NY
I have tried pretty much everything as well, I really hope some dev's start to pop their noises in here as I am a bit sad about the activity so far :(

axiomjunglist

Apr 12, 2011
I'm guessing it's something they fixed in the final Verizon build before release. Curious... What's your build #? Mine is 3.0.A.2.184.

Sent from my R800a using XDA App

Mozza2k11

Apr 21, 2011
I'm guessing it's something they fixed in the final Verizon build before release. Curious... What's your build #? Mine is 3.0.A.2.184.

Yes i think verizon fixed the exploit gingerbreak uses before releasing the handset in the usa. When i was on build number 3.0.A.2.184 (uk xplay R800i) it rooted in like 30 seconds.

But in the new update 3.0.1.A.0.145 the exploit has been fixed. So all devices around the world have been left unrootable (for now :D) the devs will figure away out.

I think the uk version 2.3.3 build 3.0.1.A.0.145 has been rooted (for unlocked bootladers) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1098736 So if your bootloader is unlocked soon it maybe possible. If its locked your stuck waiting with the rest of us for a rooting method on locked devices.

axiomjunglist

Apr 12, 2011
I saw you updated from another post, did you lose root access after the update?

Mozza2k11

Apr 21, 2011
I saw you updated from another post, did you lose root access after the update?

Yes i did. But the fixes added in the update are worth loosing root, for the time being :). Being unable to root only applies to people with a locked bootloader. But im guessing devs from the arc and play forum are possibly looking for ways to root with a locked bootloader

axiomjunglist

Apr 12, 2011
Yeah I have the option to unlock my bootloader but don't want to just yet. I'll hold off on the update until a new version of gingerbreak arrives :)

Mills00013

Oct 12, 2007
For the record, it seems like the bootloader is unlockable on the R800x. Fastboot is totally accessible by the same means and the oem unlock command is recognized, the phone is responsive, it's just looking for a key, the same as the GSM counterpart. The only difference is that the Verizon version doesn't have an IMEI (or does it.... since it does have a sim card slot....), just an ESN. So obviously you can't obtain an unlock key from this number.

axiomjunglist

Apr 12, 2011
For the record, it seems like the bootloader is unlockable on the R800x. Fastboot is totally accessible by the same means and the oem unlock command is recognized, the phone is responsive, it's just looking for a key, the same as the GSM counterpart. The only difference is that the Verizon version doesn't have an IMEI (or does it.... since it does have a sim card slot....), just an ESN. So obviously you can't obtain an unlock key from this number.

Wonder if you pop a pre-paid SIM in the slot (or try a friend's AT&T/T-Mobile SIM) and disabled the CDMA radio if you could get an IMEI to pop up on the keypad using *#06#. Might work? I have no clue... and you'd still have to send it to SE and hope they clear it.

Last edited:

Mills00013

Oct 12, 2007
I have a few SIMs here that I could try. Ill see what I come up with in a little bit. My gut is telling me that Verizon probably has the SIM slot firmware disabled. Thats only because they havn't officially mentioned it anywhere. In fact, the slot itself is actually hidden by a piece of plastic that you have to remove. One wouldnt have any idea it was there unless you were looking for it and even then you feel like you're breaking your phone to access it.

I also considered hooking it up to QPST to see if it would grab some serial numbers out of the device. Can anyone confirm if this is a qualcomm chip inside the phone?

Mills00013

Oct 12, 2007
I just tried a T-mo and an AT&T SIM, neither give me any sort of insertion notification or acknowledgement that they are present. So I'd say the slot is firmware disabled. But it should still have an IMEI, right? That would be programmed by Qualcomm out of the factory before Ericsson would have even installed it. Or am I taking crazy pills?

b00sted

Dec 24, 2009
Mount Morris NY
do a ADB devices on your phone it gives what I think is a IMEI number and if you put the first 14 in on sony's site it gives you a unlock code, i am to much of a wussy to try it tho lol.

ace518

Dec 10, 2008
Upstate NY
do a ADB devices on your phone it gives what I think is a IMEI number and if you put the first 14 in on sony's site it gives you a unlock code, i am to much of a wussy to try it tho lol.

more than willing to be take a chance on mine. i ran adb devices. got code. first 14 digits (minus the b) sent to sony and got an unlock code.

next steps i'm confused on. how do i boot to fastboot mode? i tried holding menu key and inserting usb... didnt' seem to do anything...

ran
9. In the cmd windows type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version

and it did nothing just sat there (waiting for device).

Is there an indication you are in fastboot mode? should 0fce be different on our phones? any ideas?

EDIT: its hold search, not menu, got it to fastboot mode and got response.. trying now. will post results

EDIT 2 : and fail.

Last edited:

b00sted

Dec 24, 2009
Mount Morris NY
more than willing to be take a chance on mine. i ran adb devices. got code. first 14 digits (minus the b) sent to sony and got an unlock code.

next steps i'm confused on. how do i boot to fastboot mode? i tried holding menu key and inserting usb... didnt' seem to do anything...

ran
9. In the cmd windows type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version

and it did nothing just sat there (waiting for device).

Is there an indication you are in fastboot mode? should 0fce be different on our phones? any ideas?

EDIT: its hold search, not menu, got it to fastboot mode and got response.. trying now. will post results

EDIT 2 : and fail.

ya I just tried too and fail :/ #sadpanda

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We can no longer unlock your bootloader with codes. Please do not ask me or ash for bootloader unlock codes. We can not help you.

This thread is now here for historical purposes representing times when people were free to do what they wanted with their devices. Fsck yourself with a rake, Verizon.

The bootloader has been unlocked. Let's get our freaking root on.

Disclaimer: Read through these instructions in their entirety. If these don't make sense to you, you do not need to be rooting your phone. Nobody here has the time required to teach you how to use cmd in Windows. We will not baby step you through how to use ClockworkMod Recovery. Root is not a mythical land with fairies and unicorns where nothing ever goes bad. If you don't know how to properly install a driver in Windows, you probably don't need an Android device to begin with, let alone a rooted one.

These instructions are intentionally left vague. Do your research on these terms. Understand what you are doing before you do it.

tldr: if you fsck your phone up, it's on you and only you.

Easy Way (YRMV!)

This is by far the easiest method. You will have to read between the lines here. I will not detail all the steps. Please record your experiences in this thread and let me know how it all goes! We're all still learning. This is basically copied from Bin4ry's CWMR Thread so thanks go to him! The easy steps below assume a lot of basic knowledge steps. Like unlocking the bootloader. If you're unsure of what to do, you probably shouldn't be doing it.

1. Download the CWM recovery from multiupload
    2. Boot off of that file (DO NOT FLASH): fastboot boot recoveryPLAY.img
    3. Copy this to your memory card and flash it with the booted recovery
    4. Reboot and test root

Second Method: Advanced User Instructions
    1. Unlock your bootloader. Check out Ash's thread: thread
    2. Download Doom's all in one kernel from here
    3. Use fastboot to "hot boot" the kernel: fastboot boot boot.img
    4. Your phone may or may not boot. It doesn't matter. Let it be for a while, then power it off.
    5. Doom's kernel will have rooted your stock system.

If You're On A Mac...

Or maybe just need some general help with some more detailed insturctions than are labeled here, check out the awesome post that Cubsfan3493 made for everyone. He's even got a downloadable PDF with pictures. Go give him some thanks at his post!
    R800x Rootk Tutotial (Mac)

R800X Root Tutorial
    By: Cubsfan3493

DOWNLOAD THE ATTACHED PDF FOR THE GOOD GUIDE.
    Edit: I couldn't attach it at the bottom so I decided to post a link here. Ended up being too big of a file...
    Link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/h1ia2ow33e42mvu/R800X Root Tutorial.pdf

Today I am going to share a total N00b guide on how to unlock the bootloader as well as root the Verizon Wireless Xperia Play (R800X). This is now possible now thanks to the help of Blagus, Mills00013 and ashergray from the XDA-Developers forums. So all credit for the bootloader unlock as well as the root goes to them! However you are going to need them again…so now is the time to sign up to be on the XDA Developers website. My tutorial is using a Apple Macintosh computer, one of the recommended platforms for unlocking any phone because the command prompt is so simple. * IF YOU ARE AFRAID OF USING COMMAND LINES, THEN YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO ROOT. YOU ARE A FAILURE AND YOU SHOULD IMMEDIATELY TURN AWAY FROM THIS PAGE AND GO BUY YOURSELF AN IPHONE. END OF STORY. HOWEVER, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY CORRUPTION OF DATA OR LOSS OF IMPORTANT INFORMATION DON’T LET ME PRESSURE YOU INTO DOING THIS BECAUSE YOU BELIEVE THAT IT IS THE COOL THING TO DO, IT IS JUST UNCOOL NOT TO. * Let’s get started.

TO START OFF, ALL FILES USED I WILL ARE INCLUDED IN THE LINK HERE. THERE IS ONE FOR MAC, AND ONE FOR WINDOWS.
    Mac: http://www.mediafire.com/file/0dxuba7u94pu605/Xperia Play Root for Mac.zip
    Windows:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/y4mo5ie17zs79y3/Xperia Play Root for Windows.zip

1. (Step 1 in Folder) This is by far the most important step. Private message either Mills00013 or ashergray. The links to their public profiles on XDA Developers are these
    Mills00013: http://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=643928
    ashergray: http://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=4180335

Ask them for the Unlock Code. You will have to give them the MEID HEX key. Make it easy and just send this all to them in the first message…The MEID HEX key can be found by removing the back cover and the battery from the back of the phone. It will be at the bottom. Copy the code exactly and forward the MEID number to either Mills00013 or ashergray and ask them for the Unlock code. Be patient though, they have lives too. They are working on a more desirable way to get your codes but for now, you have to PM (Private Message) them. Once they send your code back, you need to save this to your computer for future use. Do not lose this!!! EVER!!!

(You will have to have a XDA Developers account to do this. But it is necessary to go any further.)

2. a) (Step 2 in Folder) Now you should download the Android SDK (May not be necessary I am not sure. I have this anyway.) It can’t hurt. This can be done by going to http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
    Save this to the Desktop of your computer.

b) Now in that new downloaded folder to tools navigate to /tools/android
    Open this and this page should come up.
    Navigate to the Available Packages and check both boxes for the Android repository and the third-party Add-ons. Then click install and install again.

3. (Step 3 in folder) Now you need to download something called fastboot. This can be found at http://developer.htc.com/adp.html#s2 Download that and put it on the Desktop. Or just drag it to the Desktop from the entire folder that I have made for you. Agree and download.

Now you need to do one thing with your phone before we get started. Turn the power OFF and unplug from computer. Now hold the search (magnifying glass) button
    4. Lets get started on some command prompt. Make sure fastboot-mac is on the desktop. Open Terminal on the Mac. Here is where it gets fancy. Type this.
    /Users/*Your Username*/Desktop/fastboot-mac –i 0x0fce oem unlock 0x**************
    (The ************** is your key that you got in step 1)

It will now be unlocked (it said failed because I was already unlocked.)

WOOHOO! YOUR BOOTLOADER IS UNLOCKED! BUT WAIT THERE’S STILL MORE TO DO…

5. (Step 5 in folder) Also get Doomlord’s all in one kernel. That can be downloaded from here. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1176502
    Named as
    “boot.img: (v03) (flash this file via fastboot to install this kernel)
    Play Prerooted + Recovery + OC Kernel 3.0.1.A.0.145”

NOW Make sure both the fastboot-mac file and boot.img file are placed on the desktop.
    Now put in the command (all at one time)
    /Users/*Your Username*/Desktop/fastboot-mac –i 0x0fce flash boot /Users/*Your Username*/Desktop/boot.img

now type:

/Users/*Your Username*/Desktop/fastboot-mac –i 0x0fce reboot

The phone may reboot to a battery logo. If that is the case, unplug it from the computer and turn it on manually. THIS WILL MAKE IT EXTREMELY EXTREMELY SLOW TO USE, AND RENDER IT A COMPLETELY UNUSABLE PHONE, BUT ITS ALL OKAY!!! WE ARE GONNA FIX THAT. =)

6. (Step 6 in folder) Put the phone back into the mode that you did earlier. Turn off completely, hold search and plug in and blue light will come on. Time for ClockworkMod recovery. Now let’s flash the recoveryPLAY.img, downloaded from
    Using fastboot once again, type:

/Users/*Your Username*/Desktop/fastboot-mac –i 0x0fce flash boot /Users/*Your Username*/Desktop/recoveryPLAY.img

Now
    /Users/*Your Username*/Desktop/fastboot-mac –I -0x0fce reboot
    7. (Step 7 in folder) Your phone should (after a minute or 2) come up in ClockworkMod Recovery.
    • FIRST, Make a backup. Using the volume buttons and search button, navigate to backup and restore. Then make a backup. May take a few minutes
    • Once it is finished, navigate to the Mounts and storage menu. Then navigate to Mount SD card. Not format…(*I had a noob moment…*). Make sure it is mounted.
    • Then navigate to Mount USB Storage. Do the same. Once it shows up on the computer, put the RootXperia.zip (Step 7 in Folder) folder on the root of the memory card (or any other folder it really doesn’t matter—just remember where you put it.).
    • Go back
    • Navigate to apply update from sd card
    • Update from the RootXperia.zip folder.
    • Let it finish.
    Now pop the battery out (easiest way to turn it off) and unplug it, and put the battery back in. Put it into the fastboot mode one more time…(search, plug, blue light).
    8. (Step 8 in folder) Final step!!!
    Use fastboot to flash one more thing. It is the stock kernel. This will make it completely rooted, without the bootloader lock.
    Command
    /Users/*Your Username*/Desktop/fastboot-mac –i 0x0fce flash boot /Users/*Your Username*/Desktop/kernel.sin

Finally,
    /Users/*Your Username*/Desktop/fastboot-mac –I 0x0fce reboot

Once it boots, go and install Superuser, Titanium Backup and whatever else you want for your ROOTED device! Congrats on the ROOT! If you read for this long…you really needed to. Hahahahahahaha

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!THIS GUIDE WAS INTENDED FOR THE TOTAL NOOB LIKE ME. COMPLETE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STEP BY STEP GUIDE.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again, I would like to extend a thanks to the people who made this possible. Mainly Mills00013 and ashergray. Blagus also had a major part in the development of this root. Many more people over the times have helped, and their names deserve to be mentioned. This is my small way of giving back to them and the community.
    Sincerely,
    Cubsfan3493
    OK, i'm trying to see whats going wrong in the logcat from running gingerbreak.

can anyone get me a logcat of gingerbreak running successfully on another phone. preferably on another version of the xperia play. i want to compare outputs to get a pointer towards where its going wrong. Not entirely sure where to start, but i'm gonna try to learn and get this going. We need root on this phone and its taking way too long.
    Tryed to flash the UK FW [PROT_VER="03";DATE="20110217";TIME="15:47:00";VER="R4A066";CXC="1234-5769";TYPE="S1_LOADER";UNIQUE_DEV_ID="EF5222F8EF219C7E30E2AB8A48BDED6E772911F3";SEC_LOCK_STATUS="LOCKED";OTP_DATA="4B6D71004714040816040028CDD880EEB001002000000000";IMEI="A1000017112429";AID_VERSION="0004";EROM_AID="0001";LOADER_AID="0001";SW_AID="0001";CUST_AID="0001";SIM_LOCK_AID="0001";HWCONF_AID="0001";PROD_ID="0002";ACTIVE_LOADER_AID="0001";MEMDEVS="02:00:002C:00B3:0000:00002000:00020000:00000800:00000040,03:03:0003:5344:0080:0003B598:00010000:00000200";MAN_ID="002C";DEV_ID="00B3";SIN_VER="0001";AID_TAMP="NOT_TAMPERED";MAX_PKT_SZ="00010000";AUTH_LEVEL="NONE";AUTH_MET="0001";CARD_PRESENT="YES";CARD_SIZE="16GB";CARD_DATA="UHJvZE5vPTEyNDktMjcwOQ1Qcm9kUmV2PVI2QQ1Db3BpZWRCeXRlcz0yMjA5MjcxMjU2DUNvcGllZEZpbGVzPTMwNjcNQ29waWVkRGlycz01OQ1PcmRlcj05MDE2OTUxLTEwDQ==";LOADER_ROOT="S1_Loader_Root_773f";EROM_ROOT="S1_EROM_Root_d601";SW_ROOT="S1_SW_Root_883f";CUST_ROOT="S1_Cust_Root_9603";SIM_LOCK_ROOT="S1_SL_Root_c422";HW_CONF_ROOT="S1_HWConf_Root_08af";BIM_STATE="DISABLED";] and then got an error on [Flashing adsp.sin]
    has anyone tried the steps i suggested (hot boot and then reboot after some time)?

did it work?