D3D or OpenGL ES hardware acceleration for Qualcomm MSM7200

Search This thread

omikr0n

Oct 24, 2007
Prague, Czech republic
Hello,
I bought my Kaiser a month ago. I'm interested in 3D graphic development for the graphic chip (Qualcomm MSM7200). For the last two days I've been looking around for something (SDKs, drivers, ...) for it. What I've found so far is that Qualcomm claims the chip to be rather powerful:
http://www.cdmatech.com/products/q3dimension.jsp
and based on OpenGL ES.

The other PDF ( http://brew.qualcomm.com/bnry_brew/pdf/brew_2007/Tech-303_Ligon.pdf ) says, that the MSM7200 is built on ATI Imageon architecture and should support hardware accelerated OpenGL ES 1.0 Common as well as Direct3D Mobile. Yet, I am unable to find any MSM7200 and/or Imageon SDKs.

I've written a small app. to test Direct3D on this device but all I could get was a software renderer :-( I'm not familiar with OpenGL (ES) enough to test it.

So my question is: Which way should I go? I suspect I need some windows mobile drivers for hardware-accelerated Direct3D Mobile but was unable to find any.
For OpenGL ES this seems to be even more difficult, while I don't know which SDK to use (I couldn't find any supporting MSM7200).

ANY responses are very welcome.

RPG0

May 6, 2006
I don't know how you can program for OpenGL ES, but for Direct3D Mobile you have an SDK for Visual Studio (i think you already know this...)

I'm complaining about HTC's implementation too:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=339173

I just hope more people start complaining so HTC has to do something.

omikr0n

Oct 24, 2007
Prague, Czech republic
OK, at least I see I'm not alone.

So, as I pointed out in my previous post, MSM7200 should use enhanced Imageon architecture (I guess they refer to it as to Imageon+). Anyone feels like give it a shot with Imageon drivers/SDK/API? I would but I was unable to find something Imageon-development related on the web. Perhaps if you could point me somewhere. :)

omikr0n

Oct 24, 2007
Prague, Czech republic
I'd like to say I've got some good news but I don't. I looked closer to my Kaiser's D3D configuration and I found that it only has one D3D driver. It's htc_d3dm.dll and it's locally hooked (means it is not accessing hardware) and it's basically just Microsoft D3D Reference Driver (software renderer). So it looks like HTC didn't put much effort into enabling D3D on Kaiser.
I will look futher into this matter and keep you informed.

draxredd

Oct 9, 2007
Bourgoin Jallieu
wow. Hard to think that neither HTC nor Qualcomm would have compiled a d3dm hadware driver by launchtime, yet alone by now. Qualcomm seems much more interested in promoting their closed BREW platform than enabling "rival" technologies...

Aren't there any other msm7200 based wm6 machines out there ? maybe something like Polaris would have a correct d3dm implementation...

Last edited:

omikr0n

Oct 24, 2007
Prague, Czech republic
This is the list of MSM7200 based devices:
http://www.pdadb.net/index.php?m=pdamaster&posted=1&cpu=a7200

But I think that drivers from any other MSM7xxx based or even MSM6xxx based device could work. I doubt they have different 3D graphics architecture. If you can get any Qualcomm's Windows Mobile driver, let me know for sure. I would try it.

BTW: If you want to check your (or any other) device for D3D drivers see registry values:
HKLM/System/D3DM/Drivers/LocalHook
and
HKLM/System/D3DM/Drivers/RemoteHook

LocalHook should list locally hooked drivers (software renderers but they might be optimised for certain CPU).
RemoteHook should list remotely hooked drivers (drivers that use hardware in some special way - e.g. hardware accelerated graphics).

draxredd

Oct 9, 2007
Bourgoin Jallieu
well, at least it doesn't harm either :)
i felt the kaiser maybe a bit snappier after the reg edit and a soft reset, but that must be placebo effect ^.^

edit : not placebo, in fact with the remote hooked dll, cleartype is bugged/disabled so the redraw really is a bit faster.

Last edited:

omikr0n

Oct 24, 2007
Prague, Czech republic
I don't know about cleartype but D3D app. failed to initialize at all.
I use attached application to test D3D and to get some info out of it. It is altered example for MSDN.
You can try it if you want to and see what it does with default driver set to RemoteHook :)

Attachments

• Lights.zip
    3.9 KB · Views: 551

omikr0n

Oct 24, 2007
Prague, Czech republic
I've written a small app. that detects and lists ALL D3D drivers available. Just to be sure we don't overlook something.

Attachments

• D3DDrivers.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 1,084

mmone3

May 6, 2006
denver
I pretty sure omikrOn is correct about the reference drivers "all software". Well that goes for the rom that came with my p4550. I know it took a few rom updates for hardware support to showup on my p3600, which turned out to be so picky on what modes you use the initialize d3d. Hope this isnt the case for the p4550!

Anyway I looking forward to hardware support. this thing just might be a good gaming plateform...

eska007

Sep 15, 2007
No ati chip

Correct me if i am wrong but the tytn2 doesn't have the ati imageon chip, so no use to search for those drivers.

Top Liked Posts