How to update to JB and keep root (Locked Bootloader)

Search This thread

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
Hello,
I have been able to get rooted JB to .16, but what process do I have to do to update to the latest?
I've been looking around and it said that it has to be sequential, so from .16 -> .18 -> .20 etc...
But exactly how do I do that?
After getting to .16, should I download the .18 dpkgfile and command file again and put it to /cache and /cache/recovery respectively then redo the boot process?
Or should I just do the OTA updates that asus sends out?

If you really get an OTA update from Asus after you downgraded (most people don't), then save the dlpkgfile from your /cache partition to a safe location, then apply it. If it takes you directly from .16 to .25, then upload the dlpkgfile for others to use, so they have a shortcut.

If you don't get OTAs, then you need to apply the incremental dlpkgfile updates one by one.

johnlgalt

Nov 16, 2009
Atlanta
androidforums.com
I'm doing that now - I'll adb pull the files from /cache after downgrading and then if it upgrades me directly to .25 I'll post back.

I doubt it though, I'm betting it will be incremental upgrades.

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

on 9.4.5.30 there is no cp binary - any other way to save the file before applying it?

johnlgalt

Nov 16, 2009
Atlanta
androidforums.com
OK, got the file. Confirmed 9.4.5.30 --> 10.4.4.25 Direct update.

Note: This is for US Eepad only!!!!

Uploading it now to my MF and 4Shared accts (MF is no longer paid, until I can scrounge up $$$, so I'll link both sites here - hopefully you'll be able to get it from at least one of them.

---------- Post added at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

4Shared: http://www.4shared.com/zip/EjS5f1jE/US_epad_user_9_4_5_30_to_10_4_.html

MF: http://www.mediafire.com/file/rtl34vg63e3sdee/US_epad_user_9_4_5_30_to_10_4_4_25_dlpkg.zip

Last edited:

byancey

May 2, 2006

Uploading it now to my MF and 4Shared accts (MF is no longer paid, until I can scrounge up $$$, so I'll link both sites here - hopefully you'll be able to get it from at least one of them.]

I just used this to direct update from 9.4.5.30 to 10.4.4.25 in one step and was able to successfully recover root using OTARootKeeper. Thanks for the upload johnlgalt! This was a great time saver.

--
Bryce

Last edited:

KinetiClutch

Apr 9, 2013
thank you for this... Rooted earlier and couldnt get an OTA.

Just on .18 now.

So do I just keep doing this untill I can get an OTA or just keep going until the most recent?

Sed8ing

Aug 27, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

Uploading it now to my MF and 4Shared accts (MF is no longer paid, until I can scrounge up $$$, so I'll link both sites here - hopefully you'll be able to get it from at least one of them.

---------- Post added at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

4Shared: http://www.4shared.com/zip/EjS5f1jE/US_epad_user_9_4_5_30_to_10_4_.html

MF: http://www.mediafire.com/file/rtl34vg63e3sdee/US_epad_user_9_4_5_30_to_10_4_4_25_dlpkg.zip

That is awesome! A few days late for me as I just did the incremental update from the beginning because I had to revert back to 9.4.5.30 because I changed the system files on the 23 version and couldn't do the incremental to 25, but next time it will be a lot easier with this file! Thanks!

KinetiClutch

Apr 9, 2013
Hey just wanted to say.

I did this last night.

Went down to .16, .18, .20.

Left it overnight and then in the morning it had pushed OTA to .26. then upon restart OTA'd to the next then JB 4.2

Just in case try leaving it and seeing it it gets pushed over the course of 24 hours.

WW version. Thank you for your hard work.

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Hey just wanted to say.

I did this last night.

Went down to .16, .18, .20.

Left it overnight and then in the morning it had pushed OTA to .26. then upon restart OTA'd to the next then JB 4.2

Just in case try leaving it and seeing it it gets pushed over the course of 24 hours.

WW version. Thank you for your hard work.

Seems like we can root while already on JB without the need of downgrade back to ICS. If you have balls, give it a try!
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2228613

kyto

Sep 9, 2007
Obregon
Does anyone have the direct update file(dlpkgfile) from 10.4.4.25 to the last update (JB 4.2) US version available?

I delete some rom applications as root, and I have not gotten to appear OTA updates again (downgrade to ICS and incremental update don't work to me).

Thanks!

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Does anyone have the direct update file(dlpkgfile) from 10.4.4.25 to the last update (JB 4.2) US version available?

I delete some rom applications as root, and I have not gotten to appear OTA updates again (downgrade to ICS and incremental update don't work to me).

Thanks!

What version on your device right now?

baldbear

Jul 18, 2006

Thanks!

Check here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=36813636

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

Seems like we can root while already on JB without the need of downgrade back to ICS. If you have balls, give it a try!

I can vouch for this working on a TF700

Reactions: buhohitr

jcp2

In case anyone else is having problems rooting with the debug method after downgrading to ICS from JB.25 (I was one. The debug method would hang and then tell me it can't access the system partiton. ** I don't remember the exact message) I was finally able to root after letting the tablet download and install the JB 4.1.1 incremental update after installing ICS. I then re-downgraded to ICS and the debug method went off without a hitch. :) Just putting this out there in case it can help anyone else that runs into the same problem
John

krispy521

Jan 4, 2011
Nashua, NH
Check here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=36813636

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

I can vouch for this working on a TF700

Does anyone know why I can't get the motoroot thing to work. I am on 4.2.1. I downloaded the zip and extracted it to my pc. I did the run file. It installs. Then I open supersu and it wants to update the binary but fails everytime. I have tried several times and can't get it to work.

wuli

Jan 22, 2010
Does anyone know why I can't get the motoroot thing to work. I am on 4.2.1. I downloaded the zip and extracted it to my pc. I did the run file. It installs. Then I open supersu and it wants to update the binary but fails everytime. I have tried several times and can't get it to work.

Same here, motochopper seems to get me partial root on 4.2.1
I have adb su, but can't get the su binary to update or su prompt.
Tried the old prime partial root method but no luck either!
Any suggestions?

baldbear

Jul 18, 2006
Same here, motochopper seems to get me partial root on 4.2.1
I have adb su, but can't get the su binary to update or su prompt.
Tried the old prime partial root method but no luck either!
Any suggestions?

I used the motochopper on a CLEAN install of 4.2.1 (from the firmware download at ASUS site), if you tried to have a rootkeeper program keep your root and lost it, I'd either remove SU and the rootkeeper programs and try motochopper again, or backup all your apps and data and do a clean install.

I think the 1/2 root of Rootkeeper is messing up the motochopper root batch file.

Also make sure you have USB debugging turned on (it won't work at all unless this is done).

P.S. a clean install really fixed many of my upgraded problems I had before, (slow, and battery eating)

Reactions: wuli

wuli

Jan 22, 2010
I used the motochopper on a CLEAN install of 4.2.1 (from the firmware download at ASUS site), if you tried to have a rootkeeper program keep your root and lost it, I'd either remove SU and the rootkeeper programs and try motochopper again, or backup all your apps and data and do a clean install.

I think the 1/2 root of Rootkeeper is messing up the motochopper root batch file.

Also make sure you have USB debugging turned on (it won't work at all unless this is done).

P.S. a clean install really fixed many of my upgraded problems I had before, (slow, and battery eating)

Thanks!
I tried again, Wiped, and re-installed latest update, then wiped again, ran motochopper, reboot, and voila... root stuck this time...
Much quicker than the ICS downgrade path.

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
In case anyone else is having problems rooting with the debug method after downgrading to ICS from JB.25 (I was one. The debug method would hang and then tell me it can't access the system partiton. ** I don't remember the exact message) I was finally able to root after letting the tablet download and install the JB 4.1.1 incremental update after installing ICS. I then re-downgraded to ICS and the debug method went off without a hitch. :) Just putting this out there in case it can help anyone else that runs into the same problem
John

You should reinstall a fresh full firmware 4.2.1 (download from Asus site), then use Motochopper and root directly, no need to downgrade to ICS any more. This tool will work with all JB versions.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, From now on if i see people asking how to update / how to keep root im going to link you to this thread, im tired of answering it.

This works if you are on STOCK RECOVERY. If you are unlocked there are lots of other options for you (such as flashing a rooted kernel) so go to development and find that. Since im not unlocked i had to do it the hard way. This method works if your OTA updates are screwed up. If you HAVE OTA updates you can just use OTA rootkeeper to backup and disable root, make sure all stock apps are restored, and proceed with root.

Note for the updater: The OTA updater is a DIFFERENCE updater, if files are missing or different versions the update will fail. Best practices say to update sequentially, never skip an update. It might not cause problems now but could cause problems in the future.

If your OTA updates have failed or for whatever reason you can not get OTA's, you have a LOCKED bootloader, or for whatever reason want to manually update and keep root then this guide is for you. Also please note the process for going from .16 to .18 is the same as going from .30 to .16.

First: Make sure you have all stock apps restored, no custom build.prop, etc.
    If your not sure, wipe the tablet and reinstall. Better safe than sorry.

To reset the tablet if you dont have stock apps:
    Determine which version you are running. For me it was .30WW
    Go to www.asus.com and download the firmware for your version
    plug your tablet into the usb on your computer, unzip the firmware and put it in the root of your tablet (Dont use USB memory sticks or SD cards, just transfer it directly)
    restart your tablet, it SHOULD load the file and go about resetting the tablet to stock.
    If that does not work, try starting the tablet holding power and volume down, on the splash screen press volume up and reset the tablet that way.
    Once your tablet is returned to stock you can proceed.

Make sure you are ROOTED. Use whatever method works for you.
    Now would be a good time to make sure superuser is updated, mine was old so a quick update on the market and its all good.
    Use OTA Rootkeeper to backup root
    Download the DLPKG file apropriate for your version.

If you want to update to JB you must have .30 installed and download the .16 file, WW or US, depending on your region. Other packages are provided for convenience (This method can be used to spoof the OTA update to any version as long as you have the file)

DLPKG for .26 WW HERE
    DLPKG for .30 WW HERE
    DLPKG for .16 WW HERE or HERE or HERE
    DLPKG for .16 US HERE or HERE
    DLPKG for .18 WW HERE or HERE
    DLPKG for .18 US HERE or HERE
    (Make sure you only take the file for the version you want to update to, only one step at a time, so if you are on .30 WW you need .16WW before you can do .18WW)
    DLPKG for US .20 HERE
    DLPKG for WW .20 HERE
    DLPKG for US .23 HERE or HERE or HERE or HERE
    DLPKG for WW .23 HERE
    DLPKG for .25 WW HERE

You will also need the command file HERE or HERE

Transfer the files to your tablet using the USB cable.
    If you use a USB memory stick or SD card make sure its formatted FAT32.
    Please note there have been reported problems with people using USB memory sticks or SD cards, often the files fail. I have had best success using the USB cable provided with my tablet and directly transferring the file. YMMV.
    Once the files are on the tablet use Root Explorer or your favorite root file browser to move the two files
    (NOT THE STOCK FILE BROWSER IT CANT SEE THE ROOT DIRECTORY)
    "command" goes to /cache/recovery
    "dlpkgfile" goes to /cache

Make sure the files are named exactly as shown above. No capitals, no file extensions, etc.
    Make sure the permissions for both files are changed to RW-R-R for both.
    Note: There has been a little confusion about "root directory" so i will explain a little further. The root directory is generally protected. You will have to be rooted (by definition, having root access, kind of like administrator access in windows) and use a file browser like root explorer. The stock file browser only lets you see a few specific areas and will not let you access the root directory of the tablet. Root explorer will also let you modify permissions which the stock browser will not let you do. Im sure there are other browser applications that work equally well as root explorer, thats just the one i have had success with. As always, Your Milage May Vary.

Go into OTA Rootkeeper and TEMP UNROOT.
    Shut down the tablet. Remove the USB cord. Remove any USB memory sticks. Eject your Micro SD card. UNdock the tablet. Lets not let anything go to chance.
    Press and hold both the power and volume down buttons (volume down is closest to the power button in case you forgot like me)
    Soon as the splash screen comes up you should see some text on the left side, release the power and volume down buttons and press volume up.
    Now just sit back and wait, this can take a while. I got myself a snack and took this time to stretch a little.
    Once your all booted up you should be running JellyBean. Open OTA Rootkeeper and restore root.

Please note i did not come up with the steps in this guide. I did not originate the files. I am nowhere near smart enough to do all this on my own. I meerly collected the information and links to files and pieced it all together. I wrote this so even my father could follow these instructions so hopefully you all succeed! If something needs clarification please let me know.

- Edit -
    Added notes on restoring tablet to stock.
    - Edit -
    Added .18 links. Thanks to xcal321 for providing them.
    - Edit -
    Cleaned up the guide a little. Hopefully its less wordy and easier to follow.
    - Edit -
    Added links to my personal google drive for nearly all the files, should have no problem for overseas users with limited access to mediafire :)
    - Edit -
    Sorry it took so long, added files for .20 US and WW. Will copy them to my personal Gdrive when i have more time.
    - Edit -
    Still alive, added .25 WW. Nearly all the files are uploaded to my personal google docs account so if something goes screwy let me know via PM

How can I get the dlpkgfile Version 10.4.4.23 WW?

Isn't it possible to receive the files regular via OTA from Asus step by step?

Right here bro!
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ausece6a7246wci
    dlpkg batch file

did anyone else write a batchfile to semi-automate the dlpkg update?
    below are the commands i put in a batchfile. I created it initially because i had to downgrade to ICS to root then upgraded all the way. I was tired of typing in the commands.
    Note there are 2 batches, the SDcard location changed when it updates to JB.
    Hope it helps

------ ICS Commands:
    adb push command /sdcard/command
    adb push dlpkgfile /sdcard/dlpkgfile
    adb shell su -c "cat /sdcard/command > /cache/recovery/command"
    adb shell su -c "cat /sdcard/dlpkgfile > /cache/dlpkgfile"
    adb shell rm /sdcard/command
    adb shell rm /sdcard/dlpkgfile
    adb shell su -c "chmod 644 /cache/recovery/command"
    adb shell su -c "chmod 644 /cache/dlpkgfile"

------- Jelly Bean Commands:
    adb push command /storage/sdcard0/command
    adb push dlpkgfile /storage/sdcard0/dlpkgfile
    adb shell su -c "cat /storage/sdcard0/command > /cache/recovery/command"
    adb shell su -c "cat /storage/sdcard0/dlpkgfile > /cache/dlpkgfile"
    adb shell rm /storage/sdcard0/command
    adb shell rm /storage/sdcard0/dlpkgfile
    adb shell su -c "chmod 644 /cache/recovery/command"
    adb shell su -c "chmod 644 /cache/dlpkgfile"
    That is very helpfull !! Thanks for that !! Just one question: What about if I downgrade to .30 with clean system, root my device, update superuser app, then use OTA Rootkeeper to backup my root, next Temp unroot via OTA Rootkeeper and use upgrade to JB with OTA (not using files that you put above )?? It still works, any ideas ??

Regards
    Doncieslacco

If OTA works for you after that then use OTA. For a large portion of us OTA did not want to work so these are the steps i used. Essentially its the same thing, OTA downloads the same files and puts them in the directories mentioned. Just make sure you do the temp unroot before updating as forgetting to do that step has lost some people root.