[Tutorial]RSD Mode 3 "Brick" Fix

Search This thread

XxLordxX

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2011
Campinas
I recently saw many people running into this problem and didn't find any tutorial explaining how to fix it, so I decided make a little tutorial on how to fix this bug. Please understand that it only works on RSD Mode 3! And was tested only twice on an Everest Xoom and a Stingray Xoom (thanks droidxrooting)!

I'm not responsible if it Hard Brick your device! Everything you do is only your problem!

Windows:
  1. Fully charge your Xoom
  2. Download LordAIOTool
  3. Extract it on C:/
  4. Download and install Motorola Drivers
  5. Download Motorola Stock ROM or any other ROM
  6. Extract the ROM and pick the boot.img file
  7. Copy the boot.img file to LAIOT bin folder
  8. Now download any recovery (except Stock one) and copy it to LAIOT bin folder as well
  9. Rename the recovery file to recovery.img
  10. Plug your Xoom to your PC
  11. Turn it on pressing vol- (If it worked the screen will stay stuck at Motorola logo with no text)
  12. Open a cmd
  13. Type:
    Code:
    cd C:/
    cd LAIOT
    cd bin
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot reboot
  14. Quickly press vol- (like after 2 seconds that Motorola logo appeared) and select Android Recovery
  15. Now on recovery factory reset your device and wipe system
  16. Flash a ROM
  17. You're done

Linux:
  2. Download and install LordAIOTool
  3. Download any ROM or Motorola Stock ROM
  4. Extract from this ROM boot.img
  5. Download a Recovery
  6. Rename the recovery you just downloaded to recovery.img
  7. Copy both boot.img and recovery.img to ~/LAIOT/
  8. Turn on your Xoom while pressing vol- (if worked you will see a Motorola logo screen with no text)
  9. Plug your Xoom to your PC
  10. Open a terminal
  11. Type:
    Code:
    cd ~/LAIOT/
    fastboot reboot
  12. Quickly press vol- (like after 2 seconds that Motorola logo appeared) and select Android Recovery
  13. Now on recovery factory reset your device and wipe system
  14. Flash a ROM
  15. You're done

The Windows version was tested on a Stingray (droidxrooting did it with my help) and the Linux version was tested on a Everest (XxLordxX did it)

Hope it unbrick your Xoom if it enters in RSD mode 3! I hope to soon add this feature on either LAIOT or/and 7Heavens Projekt.

Feel free to donate a little money for me due to the work I had writing this and studying on how to do it. I have a button called "Donate me" under my avatar, feel free to click it and make me happy :)

Last edited:

droidxrooting

Jan 23, 2011
Re: [Tutorial]RSD Mode 3 "Brick" Fix

Thank you so much for your help. Yes I used Windows 8 and it worked like a charm. My only suggestion to improve this tutorial would be to link to the moto drivers and may be stock moto software.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

Mr_IceSlice

May 17, 2013
Motorola Xoom
OnePlus 6
Almost works, need guidance.

Hello XxLordxX

The 'Windows' hyperlink works, partially. When I click it, a new tab opens and the LAIOT.zip download starts.

Now here is the problem. It (LAIOT.zip) Will download all the way, and then it stead of giving me the file in my downloads folder, (and btw, I use Chrome) it says: 'Failed - Network error'.

I am stuck in RSD mode 3. But I can get to Fastboot doing the following:Rebooting (Volume up + Power) and then immediately press and hold Volume down as it boots, then giving me Fastboot.

Please help me. ANY help. My Xoom is MZ604.

XxLordxX

Jul 11, 2011
Campinas
Hi Mr_IceSlice,
The LAIOT is downloaded just because it contains some files that would make easier to user continue with commands, as it already contains adb and fastboot in some specific folders and such ;). If you can use fastboot, just skip to the 12th part and follow from there (don't forget to put the boot.img and recovery.img in fastboot folder).
Good luck ;)
~Lord

Reactions: Mr_IceSlice

Mr_IceSlice

May 17, 2013
Motorola Xoom
OnePlus 6
Thanks! It worked. Need help with another issue.

Hi Mr_IceSlice,
The LAIOT is downloaded just because it contains some files that would make easier to user continue with commands, as it already contains adb and fastboot in some specific folders and such ;). If you can use fastboot, just skip to the 12th part and follow from there (don't forget to put the boot.img and recovery.img in fastboot folder).
Good luck ;)
~Lord

Thank you XxLordxX for your quick response!

I got my friend to download LAIOT.zip for me, and then send to me, so I was able to un-brick and get off the 'RSD mode 3' screen.

So, if I may ask, could you please help me with anther issue. I deleted my 'logo.bin' file from my device and need instruction on how to copy a logo.bin file onto my Xoom. The logo.bin file I have, I got from the SDK_tools, as well as one I got off of Google.

For for info on my predicament go to http://rootzwiki.com/topic/40350-ne...h-rooting-logbin-fastboot-and-adb-on-my-xoom/

To see the tutorial I was following go to http://rootzwiki.com/topic/451-how-to-root-the-wifi-only-xoom-301/

And yes, I do now realize that the tutorial is for HC, and I am on ICS. I started rooting about two days or so, before the JB update came out, so my Xoom still has ICS on it.

So to sum this all up, I think I have rooted my Xoom, using solarnz guide ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1242241 ), but I cannot properly boot up and access my Android OS.

When I boot up, this is the screen I get https://mail-attachment.googleuserc...799&sads=7_VRHre5PhdRd_AciNMXSlUtgLM&sadssc=1

But by pressing Volume down to scroll/toggle to Android recorvery and then press Volume up to select, it will look like this: https://mail-attachment.googleuserc...370212413896&sads=ZvSKdQE0tH2Jz1gj-XJzHa-B_Nw

Then the screen goes black for a moment, then shows this: https://mail-attachment.googleuserc...370212419731&sads=VAE5PnZMIhbNT6ufO2D7g6Q5_xs

So, I know that I can unbrick my Xoom, I just someone to tell me what to do. Thank you again XxLordxX for helping me out! It feels good to know that there are still people out there who are kind enough to lend a helping hand. I can't wait to hear from you.

--Sincerely, Mr_IceSlice

XxLordxX

Jul 11, 2011
Campinas
Sorry but I can't see the pictures :p. Cna you upload to another server so I can view and help you with you problem ;). Sorry for the long time the answer took to arrive, I was busy with classes and studies lol.

Sent from my MZ608 using xda app-developers app
~Lord

Mr_IceSlice

May 17, 2013
Motorola Xoom
OnePlus 6
Images attached for you.

Sorry but I can't see the pictures :p. Cna you upload to another server so I can view and help you with you problem ;). Sorry for the long time the answer took to arrive, I was busy with classes and studies lol.

~Lord

Here are the same images that I have attached the imagee as .jpg files.

In chronological order their file names are:

IMG_20130428_125548_440.jpg

IMG_20130602_172917_415.jpg

IMG_20130602_172924_314.jpg

And thanks allot for helping! I had to laugh when you said "Sorry for the long time the answer took to arrive, I was busy with classes and studies lol." because compared to the other forums/sites I've been on, your responses are lightning quick.

Hope the files/images work for you!

--Mr_IceSlice

P.S.
My Xoom does not have a SDcard, but my Mom's Droid RAZR MAXX does have a SDcard that I can eject and use with my Xoom to flash things with CWM.

Attachments

• IMG_20130428_125548_440.jpg
    IMG_20130428_125548_440.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_20130602_172917_415.jpg
    IMG_20130602_172917_415.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20130602_172924_314.jpg
    IMG_20130602_172924_314.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

Mr_IceSlice

May 17, 2013
Motorola Xoom
OnePlus 6
Have you found any solutions yet?

~Lord

I haven't heard back from you. I was wondering if you have made any progress. Can you please give me an update?

Thanks a lot for your time and cooperation!

--Mr_IceSlice

XxLordxX

Jul 11, 2011
Campinas
@Mr_IceSlice Sorry, didn't have the time to look lol... I never saw that kind of error before, did you do something to your BL? It seems it was hacked or something like this :p. I will search a little and then try to give you an answer ^^

Sorry again,
~Lord

Mr_IceSlice

May 17, 2013
Motorola Xoom
OnePlus 6
Not a glitch/hack. Noob error/brick.

@Mr_IceSlice Sorry, didn't have the time to look lol... I never saw that kind of error before, did you do something to your BL? It seems it was hacked or something like this :p. I will search a little and then try to give you an answer ^^

Sorry again,
~Lord

In short it's not an error. It's simply because I erased the logo.bin file which contains boot animation.

So I don't have to repeat myself, please read and explore my post from 2nd June 2013, 05:42 PM. Thanks!

Also, I congratulate you for being faithful in trying to help me. Can't wait to hear from you soon!

--Mr_IceSlice

XxLordxX

Jul 11, 2011
Campinas
In short it's not an error. It's simply because I erased the logo.bin file which contains boot animation.

So I don't have to repeat myself, please read and explore my post from 2nd June 2013, 05:42 PM. Thanks!

Also, I congratulate you for being faithful in trying to help me. Can't wait to hear from you soon!

--Mr_IceSlice

I will try searching a little more on this, I'm somewhat very busy this week, so I will only be able to view better your issue at this weekend okay ;)? Just wanted to give you an up before ^^. Thanks for the patience :D.
~Lord

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Mr_IceSlice

May 17, 2013
Motorola Xoom
OnePlus 6
Okay! That will be great!

I will try searching a little more on this, I'm somewhat very busy this week, so I will only be able to view better your issue at this weekend okay ;)? Just wanted to give you an up before ^^. Thanks for the patience :D.
~Lord

That is totally cool with me. And I understand how life can get in the way, because I meant to reply to you yesterday, but I didn't get to it because I was still busy doing other stuff. Lol.

I'm a teen slightly younger than you. (I looked at your profile.) Thanks a lot again for responding in timely manner and helping me. I'll be looking forward to hear from you this weekend! You don't have to respond to this for me to know that you read it. Instead, go and spend the time you would have spent responding to me, and go do some research or chores or whatever, ;) , or something productive! Lol. Thanks again.

--Mr_IceSlice

Mr_IceSlice

May 17, 2013
Motorola Xoom
OnePlus 6
Are you still there?

~Lord

Hey, just checking in with you to see what progress you've made. I send you a $5 (USD) Paypal donation. The donation is sent from my mothers Paypal account, so it will have her name on it.

Hope to hear fro you soon.

-Mr_IceSlice

XxLordxX

Jul 11, 2011
Campinas
Hey, just checking in with you to see what progress you've made. I send you a $5 (USD) Paypal donation. The donation is sent from my mothers Paypal account, so it will have her name on it.

-Mr_IceSlice

Thanks for the donation :D! By the way, I got an idea now, I will try getting the logo.bin of my Xoom and sending to you! Then maybe you can push it via adb and seeing if it will work again ;). Good luck!

"This Story Ends Where It Began" - Octavarium (Dream Theater)
Sent from my GT-I9505

Mr_IceSlice

May 17, 2013
Motorola Xoom
OnePlus 6
Woo hoo! Let's try it!

Thanks for the donation :D! By the way, I got an idea now, I will try getting the logo.bin of my Xoom and sending to you! Then maybe you can push it via adb and seeing if it will work again ;). Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9505

Ok! Sounds great!

You can send me the file as an attachment, or send it to me on Skype.

My Xoom has been hard bricked since February, so I am very, VERY, anxious/excited to try to get it fixed! Thank you so much!!!

-Mr_IceSlice

Mr_IceSlice

May 17, 2013
Motorola Xoom
OnePlus 6
Can you send instructions?

Sent from my GT-I9505

If you can't get a copy of your logo.bin, just send me instructions on how to to put it on my Xoom, because I think I have a valid logo.bin file, it is not made for the Xoom but it will be functional which is essential. I am going on several trips soon, and having my Xoom is almost necessary. So please try to respond with info about how to get a new logo.bin file onto my Xoom.

Thank you for the help you have given.
-Mr_IceSlice

Mr_IceSlice

May 17, 2013
Motorola Xoom
OnePlus 6
Please get back with me ASAP.

Sent from my GT-I9505

Please get back with me. It has been awhile and it would be nice to hear from you. If you could send some info about how execute the 'push' method, that would awesome.

But please get back with me soon.

-Best regards and hopes of hearing from you,
Mr_IceSlice

XxLordxX

Jul 11, 2011
Campinas
Please get back with me. It has been awhile and it would be nice to hear from you. If you could send some info about how execute the 'push' method, that would awesome.

Mr_IceSlice

Hum... Sorry, I was heck busy currently! Too much things to be done xD. Anyway, I will tell you. Do the following, open a cmd and then copy the logo.bin to your adb folder. Then type the following :
Code:
adb push logo.bin /<insert the folder here>
adb shell "chmod 777 /<folder here>/logo.bin
Hope it helps... I will try getting a better tutorial as soon as I have some free time... Sorry again...

Sent from my GT-I9505

Mr_IceSlice

May 17, 2013
Motorola Xoom
OnePlus 6
Thanks for the quick reply, but...

Hum... Sorry, I was heck busy currently! Too much things to be done xD. Anyway, I will tell you. Do the following, open a cmd and then copy the logo.bin to your adb folder. Then type the following :
Code:
Hope it helps... I will try getting a better tutorial as soon as I have some free time... Sorry again...

Sent from my GT-I9505

So I did what you said and it did not work. In cmd all I get (and this is for both lines of code you gave me) is:

Code:
error: device offline

I don't think you can whip up a reply this instant, but please tell me what you think/know about this error. :confused:

-Mr_IceSlice

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I recently saw many people running into this problem and didn't find any tutorial explaining how to fix it, so I decided make a little tutorial on how to fix this bug. Please understand that it only works on RSD Mode 3! And was tested only twice on an Everest Xoom and a Stingray Xoom (thanks droidxrooting)!

I'm not responsible if it Hard Brick your device! Everything you do is only your problem!

Windows:
    2. Download LordAIOTool
    3. Extract it on C:/
    4. Download and install Motorola Drivers
    5. Download Motorola Stock ROM or any other ROM
    6. Extract the ROM and pick the boot.img file
    7. Copy the boot.img file to LAIOT bin folder
    8. Now download any recovery (except Stock one) and copy it to LAIOT bin folder as well
    9. Rename the recovery file to recovery.img
    10. Plug your Xoom to your PC
    11. Turn it on pressing vol- (If it worked the screen will stay stuck at Motorola logo with no text)
    12. Open a cmd
    13. Type:
      Code:
      cd C:/
      cd LAIOT
      cd bin
      fastboot reboot
    14. Quickly press vol- (like after 2 seconds that Motorola logo appeared) and select Android Recovery
    15. Now on recovery factory reset your device and wipe system
    16. Flash a ROM
    17. You're done

Linux:
    2. Download and install LordAIOTool
    3. Download any ROM or Motorola Stock ROM
    4. Extract from this ROM boot.img
    5. Download a Recovery
    6. Rename the recovery you just downloaded to recovery.img
    7. Copy both boot.img and recovery.img to ~/LAIOT/
    8. Turn on your Xoom while pressing vol- (if worked you will see a Motorola logo screen with no text)
    9. Plug your Xoom to your PC
    10. Open a terminal
    11. Type:
      Code:
      cd ~/LAIOT/
      fastboot reboot
    12. Quickly press vol- (like after 2 seconds that Motorola logo appeared) and select Android Recovery
    13. Now on recovery factory reset your device and wipe system
    14. Flash a ROM
    15. You're done

The Windows version was tested on a Stingray (droidxrooting did it with my help) and the Linux version was tested on a Everest (XxLordxX did it)

Hope it unbrick your Xoom if it enters in RSD mode 3! I hope to soon add this feature on either LAIOT or/and 7Heavens Projekt.

Feel free to donate a little money for me due to the work I had writing this and studying on how to do it. I have a button called "Donate me" under my avatar, feel free to click it and make me happy :)
    Hi Mr_IceSlice,
    Good luck ;)
    ~Lord

--Mr_IceSlice

~Lord

-Mr_IceSlice

Sent from my GT-I9505

Mr_IceSlice

Code:

Sent from my GT-I9505