[Q] Z1 won't start after flash...

Search This thread

ttr_matt

Jun 1, 2014
Hello,

Please point and laugh at me, I've only gone and fannied my phone up.

So, I was getting annoyed with the kitkat version, crashes, unstable etc (as is the wife with her z1 compact) so downloaded flash tool and various ftf thingies and away I went.

Now stuck in a loop on startup.

I was on the newest version, and went back to the oldest I could find figuring I knew that one worked and the phone was good.

Nope.

Tried both branded ee and unbranded.

Tried back to 290 , still have old colour start screen, and no boot.

Tried one in between and nothing.

Really could do without losing what's on the phone, but fear that point may have passed.

Not sure this is something I could tackle myself, if there is some one around the Lichfield uk area who can save me from chucking it out the window, I'd sure appreciate it.

Failing that, any ideas, other than that I am a div...

ttr_matt

Jun 1, 2014
I've tried that, the phone does the sony logo, then xperia, the the coloured swoosh that nit, hang and reset, pc companion doesn't get chance to see it, plus, I don't see a recover mode... What am I looking for in there?

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Hello,

So, I was getting annoyed with the kitkat version, crashes, unstable etc (as is the wife with her z1 compact) so downloaded flash tool and various ftf thingies and away I went.

I was on the newest version, and went back to the oldest I could find figuring I knew that one worked and the phone was good.

Nope.

Really could do without losing what's on the phone, but fear that point may have passed.

Not sure this is something I could tackle myself, if there is some one around the Lichfield uk area who can save me from chucking it out the window, I'd sure appreciate it.

I'm guessing you got your phone from EE!?

download the EE FTF file and put your device into flash mode (hold down whilst connecting it to a PC, device must be off first obviously)

Flash the whole FTF.

Or, just download the 534 FTF and flash that, then root and install a custom recovery and update using a custom rom then flash an FTF (excluding TA and system, with no wipe) using flash tool.

Done.

PS: To get into flash mode when youre in a loop, just connect your phone to your computer, open flashtool and hold power and vol up until the phone vibrates three times, then keep pressing down to get into flashmode.

Bare in mind that flashing an FTF file will wipe your internal memory, can't remember if your internal SD is left intact or not. Can't remember.

That's the only way, other than gregs suggestion.

You could try to isolate what actually went wrong and then attempt to fix it by flashing what is missing. More than likely though you'll be forced into one of the other options.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttr_matt

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
I've tried that, the phone does the sony logo, then xperia, the the coloured swoosh that nit, hang and reset, pc companion doesn't get chance to see it, plus, I don't see a recover mode... What am I looking for in there?

Your phone should be turned off when using pccompanion to repair it.
Click on software update and then on the blue repair my phone option

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: ttr_matt

ttr_matt

Jun 1, 2014

download the EE FTF file and put your device into flash mode (hold down whilst connecting it to a PC, device must be off first obviously)

Flash the whole FTF.

Or, just download the 534 FTF and flash that, then root and install a custom recovery and update using a custom rom then flash an FTF (excluding TA and system, with no wipe) using flash tool.

Done.

PS: To get into flash mode when youre in a loop, just connect your phone to your computer, open flashtool and hold power and vol up until the phone vibrates three times, then keep pressing down to get into flashmode.

Bare in mind that flashing an FTF file will wipe your internal memory, can't remember if your internal SD is left intact or not. Can't remember.

You could try to isolate what actually went wrong and then attempt to fix it by flashing what is missing. More than likely though you'll be forced into one of the other options.

Good luck.

Thanks for the detailed reply...

I have downloaded and tried the ee ftf files, neither work. The whole thing, didn't exclude anything, didn't wipe data, but wiped cache and app data.

But then you say just download the 534, is that an unbranded one? I'm guessing it is. Flash the whole ftf wipe everything, exclude nothing...
I'll do that.

Then root, I'll find out how to do that, not looked yet.

Then install custom recovery, again will work it out

Then a custom rom, as above

Then an ftf - but didn't I already do that? And which one? The 534 again? Excluding and including what you said...

I just want the phone off kitkat, as it's slow and buggy.

The version the phone came with last October was fine. I can get into flash when in the loop with good timing between crash and logo :)

I'll have to look at custom roms, what's good etc.

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Thanks for the detailed reply...

I have downloaded and tried the ee ftf files, neither work. The whole thing, didn't exclude anything, didn't wipe data, but wiped cache and app data.

But then you say just download the 534, is that an unbranded one? I'm guessing it is. Flash the whole ftf wipe everything, exclude nothing...
I'll do that.

Then root, I'll find out how to do that, not looked yet.

Then install custom recovery, again will work it out

Then a custom rom, as above

Then an ftf - but didn't I already do that? And which one? The 534 again? Excluding and including what you said...

I just want the phone off kitkat, as it's slow and buggy.

The version the phone came with last October was fine. I can get into flash when in the loop with good timing between crash and logo :)

I'll have to look at custom roms, what's good etc.

No if youre branded then don't flash an unbranded FTF, stick to whats needed for your phone.

Are you in the UK? Did you get your phone from EE? If so then you should have the 6903 and not the 6902

Verify your model and if youre on EE then you should begin withe branded FTF and go back to 534, then root, then custom recovery, then install a rom, don't reboot, then flash an FTF file by excluding System and TA and not wiping anything.

Reboot and youre done.

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
No if youre branded then don't flash an unbranded FTF, stick to whats needed for your phone.

Are you in the UK? Did you get your phone from EE? If so then you should have the 6903 and not the 6902

Verify your model and if youre on EE then you should begin withe branded FTF and go back to 534, then root, then custom recovery, then install a rom, don't reboot, then flash an FTF file by excluding System and TA and not wiping anything.

Reboot and youre done.

No need to stick with the branded

The only difference is a few bloatware apps
You can flash generic, or ANY brand,

It makes no difference

ttr_matt

Jun 1, 2014
Right,

I have ee branded 534 on.

Phone boots.

No imei or network now though...

So if I now do as you say, and reflash with an ftf ( which one?) all will be good?

Install which rom, any better than others?

When it works, I'm gonna punch my phone in the face. Even though it's my fault lol

Any body needs any car help, I'll return the favour... Build race cars by day...

ttr_matt

Jun 1, 2014
So it seems from another thread I found, you cannot go back from 290 to 534 without breaking the radios.

So reflashing 290 now, and going back to 257 first, then 534.

ttr_matt

Jun 1, 2014
Now on 290 and working... Pile of messages came through...

I might leave the rest until next weekend as I need the phone for work is week..
Mind you that said, I am now where I wanted to be, pre kitkat... So that's a bonus.

I have lost everything on the phone though, but hey ho.

So so far, thank you for helping me in the right direction. Phones at this level are beyond me at times, give me a race engine any day.

MickieH

Mar 9, 2013
Nuneaton

I might leave the rest until next weekend as I need the phone for work is week..
Mind you that said, I am now where I wanted to be, pre kitkat... So that's a bonus.

So so far, thank you for helping me in the right direction. Phones at this level are beyond me at times, give me a race engine any day.

At least it's sorted, well done :good:

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
No need to stick with the branded

The only difference is a few bloatware apps
You can flash generic, or ANY brand,

It makes no difference

M8, i've made a few mistakes on this phone myself, didn't know about the branded so didn't want to advise someone else about either.

---------- Post added at 07:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 AM ----------

Good stuff, don't worry about the IMEI thing, it freaks you out at first but once you flash a newer rom then youre back in business.

Glad youre done.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

Nope.

Flash the whole FTF.

Done.

Good luck.

Your phone should be turned off when using pccompanion to repair it.
    Click on software update and then on the blue repair my phone option

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Don't worry about it, just install dual recovery and upgrade