[MOD][SWAP internal SD with external SD][SM-G355HN]

Search This thread

Y300-0100

Aug 11, 2014
Podgorica
First why:
When I got this phone I was disappointed with fact that primary storage isn't switchable and free user data space is approximately 2.2 GB. Which means that all application data goes to internal storage so it is impossible to use apps like Need for Speed, Navigation app, ShowBox and others. I believe you all find that annoying.
After I saw @Dhruvit Pokharna topic I started to poke a little bit over XDA and I noticed that this was done before ( back in 2012 :) ) and with various Samsung phones. So I decided to change and adapt script for our phone. Original script was created by @mattiadj from whom I still waiting for permission to change script and to publish it. But I'am going to do it anyway.

What the script do:
It swipe internal sd (/storage/sdcard0) with external micro sd (/storage/extSdCard) and viceversa.
"With this you can use default internal sd only for app storage and the external sd to store all apps resource and all others stuff"

required:
- root
- custom recovery
- kernel with init.d support
- BusyBox-v1.23.0-Stericson
- swap_intsd2extsdcard_SM-G355HN

How to and why:
Before installing swap if you moved some apps to sd move it back to phone to avoid conflict of course.
1. Root your phone first
2. Install custom recovery *(here or here)
3. Make a backup. Just in case of zombie attack *
4. Install kernel with init.d support *(here or here)
5. Install BusyBox-v1.23.0-Stericson.zip (flashable provided below )
6. Install swap_intsd2extsdcard_SM-G355HN.zip (flashable provided below)
7. Why * because you have choice

That's it. Your external sd is internal now and you can enjoy your big internal memory.
If you want to reverse it simply go to /system/etc/init.d delete 11extsd2internalsd and reboot your phone.

credits
@mattiadj and @mike1986.

Some screenshot just for you to see switch and mount points:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-02-19-31-53.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-02-19-31-53.png
    75 KB · Views: 6,593
  • Screenshot_2015-04-02-19-32-12.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-02-19-32-12.png
    83.4 KB · Views: 6,532
  • BusyBox-v1.23.0-Stericson.zip
    616.2 KB · Views: 3,440
  • swap_intsd2extsdcard_SM-G355HN.zip
    124.2 KB · Views: 5,543
Last edited:

Grindher

Jan 26, 2015
Rio de Janeiro
Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite
man help me.
i have some huge games, wild blood, modern combat 3.
i use the gl to sd to link the data,obb in sd.
and
what should i do to these data,obb in sd to flash the int2ext?
edit: can i use that in 355m?

Y300-0100

Aug 11, 2014
Podgorica
man help me.
and

Tutotial is simple. Step by step.
I don't see reason why you can't use this if your Phone has same spec as mine .
Check with root explorer following :
/storage/sdcard0
/storage/extSdCard
/dev/block/vold/179:129
If this is it you're good to go..

And for your existing game data just copy it after at proper place

Here is whole script:
mount -o remount,rw /
mount -t vfat -o umask=0000 /dev/block/vold/179:129 /storage/sdcard0
sleep 30
mount -o bind /data/media /storage/extSdCard
chmod 777 /mnt/extSdCard
sleep 10
chown 1023:1023 /storage/extSdCard
chown 1000:1000 /storage/sdcard0

Last edited:

rihards23

Apr 4, 2015
please help my. I cant install any apk whith is not from play store. why.?:eek: when I try to instal any apk it shows just " not installed " and manage files trought any file mananger is almost impossible to understand where is right place for files which I looking for.
for example where it install games trought play store.?
I done all step by step without any issue. all things instals, flashes very well.
and without these problems all worked good.. :)
thanks for helping and sory for my very bad english..:D

Y300-0100

Aug 11, 2014
Podgorica
please help my. I cant install any apk whith is not from play store. why.?:eek: afret I try to instal any apk it shows just " not installed " and manage files trought any file mananger is almost impossible to understand where is right place for files which I looking for.
I done all step by step without any issue. all things instals, flashes very well.

Install applications from play store goes to default internal memory without problem.
When you have downloaded apk from some other site only way for now is to copy it to /data/app than change permission and owner and install it from there. I still didn't figured it out why is that only way for download and backuped apks.
Regarding data app I think you mean what was asked in second post. If you used link2sd or some similar app after swaping just check are data and obb are stored under folder /Android in your external SD so that you could use your saved apps resources.

Reactions: rihards23

Y300-0100

Aug 11, 2014
Podgorica
Install applications from play store goes to default internal memory without problem.
When you have downloaded apk from some other site only way for now is to copy it to /data/app than change permission and owner and install it from there. I still didn't figured it out why is that only way for download and backuped apks.
Regarding data app I think you mean what was asked in second post. If you used link2sd or some similar app after swaping just check are data and obb are stored under folder /Android in your external SD so that you could use your saved apps resources.

Maybe this video will clarify procedure because my English terminology is not good.

http://youtu.be/TrlEz-R6uMA

rihards23

Apr 4, 2015

thanks alot man..:victory:
now I instal apk withot problem.
Thanks bro for your awesome work.:good:

Reactions: Y300-0100

Korelev

Apr 30, 2014
·
Hi!

File Commander shows the swap (a lot of memory as device memory) and a little amount (the internal, as sd card memory), but when I get into app administration it only shows the small amount of memory as the avaible for applications, I've tried downloading some apps after the process just to see if that amount was static but it keeps going down with every app, so I guess it isn't working, or only games and apps which use large amounts of memory are saved at the external storage?

Edit: I can't neither nstall apps directl from the storage, just from the play store.

Thanks! :good:

Last edited:

Y300-0100

Aug 11, 2014
Podgorica
Hi!

File Commander shows the swap (a lot of memory as device memory) and a little amount (the internal, as sd card memory), but when I get into app administration it only shows the small amount of memory as the avaible for applications, I've tried downloading some apps after the process just to see if that amount was static but it keeps going down with every app, so I guess it isn't working, or only games and apps which use large amounts of memory are saved at the external storage?

Edit: I can't neither nstall apps directl from the storage, just from the play store.

Thanks! :good:
Aps must be install in real internal sd card. U got 2.2 GB.
All aplication data ( data and obb ) goes to micro SD card.
Procedure how to install non play store app 2 post up and video tutorial is also up.

Korelev

Apr 30, 2014
·
Aps must be install in real internal sd card. U got 2.2 GB.
All aplication data ( data and obb ) goes to micro SD card.
Procedure how to install non play store app 2 post up and video tutorial is also up.

I see, just installed a game and it's working, thanks!

I found something, I don't know if it is a bug or me doing something wrong, any app that messes with the identity of the phone doesn't seems to work. I've tried with "Tablet Metrics" module with the xposed framework and Rom toolbox lite, also doesn't work changing the device id.

artb91

Apr 19, 2015
I have a trouble :(
I have 32GB card. Made all as it says in instruction.
But the problem is now when i connect phone via usb to pc its says - Card 2,18GB, Phone - 29.3GB.
But in phone its show's like phone memory 4GB, card - 2,18GB.
Isnt phone memory should be 29.3GB or something like that?
Help please! :eek:

Last edited:

Y300-0100

Aug 11, 2014
Podgorica
I have a trouble :(
I have 32GB card. Made all as it says in instruction.
But the problem is now when i connect phone via usb to pc its says - Card 2,18GB, Phone - 29.3GB.
But in phone its show's like phone memory 4GB, card - 2,18GB.
Isnt phone memory should be 29.3GB or something like that?
Help please! :eek:

Answer to the trouble is in title. If you want to revert it go to /system/etc/init.d and delete 11ext2int.

artb91

Apr 19, 2015
Answer to the trouble is in title. If you want to revert it go to /system/etc/init.d and delete 11ext2int.
Well, i already did it, ty :) Revert works very good :)
But i wanted to know what i can make wrong. I mean i did everything as it wrote in title. But maybe such fail was already corrected by some user.
And also free space was the same for card and phone memory. i mean if free memory on phone is 200mb, then on sd card its also 200mb. :(

Last edited:

Y300-0100

Aug 11, 2014
Podgorica
Well, i already did it, ty :) Revert works very good :)
But i wanted to know what i can make wrong. I mean i did everything as it wrote in title. But maybe such fail was already corrected by some user.
And also free space was the same for card and phone memory. i mean if free memory on phone is 200mb, then on sd card its also 200mb. :(

If you looking in settings storage you will see that. It's the way it is because I couldn't swap whole data partition. I only swap extSdCard with legacy sdcard0 or internal memory. Swapping mmcblk0p22 with mmcblk1p1 wouldn't work because p22 is fst ext4 and p1 is vfat.

Last edited:

harold1603

Nov 24, 2013
/storage/sdcard0
/storage/extSdCard

thanks for the reply sir :D
I dont have 179:129 on the vold folder or maybe i cant see this because im not rooted :p
but yes I have the following only the 179:129 dosent show on the /dev/block/vold
is this a file or folder? the 179:129

Thanks Y300-0100
:D:D:D
:good::good::good:

jasbinkarki

Jan 3, 2015
kathmandu
app installisation error

First why:
When I got this phone I was disappointed with fact that primary storage isn't switchable and free user data space is approximately 2.2 GB. Which means that all application data goes to internal storage so it is impossible to use apps like Need for Speed, Navigation app, ShowBox and others. I believe you all find that annoying.
After I saw @Dhruvit Pokharna topic I started to poke a little bit over XDA and I noticed that this was done before ( back in 2012 :) ) and with various Samsung phones. So I decided to change and adapt script for our phone. Original script was created by @mattiadj from whom I still waiting for permission to change script and to publish it. But I'am going to do it anyway.

What the script do:
It swipe internal sd (/storage/sdcard0) with external micro sd (/storage/extSdCard) and viceversa.
"With this you can use default internal sd only for app storage and the external sd to store all apps resource and all others stuff"

required:
- root
- custom recovery

How to and why:
Before installing swap if you moved some apps to sd move it back to phone to avoid conflict of course.
1. Root your phone first

That's it. Your external sd is internal now and you can enjoy your big internal memory.
If you want to reverse it simply go to /system/etc/init.d delete 11extsd2internalsd and reboot your phone.

credits
@mattiadj and @mike1986.

I followed the whole procedure, and internal is swiped to external sd bt when i tried to install any app it says app not installed will ypu plz fix the script to directly install any app so we dont hav to put apk into ./data/app .. :) thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First why:

What the script do:

required:
    - root
    - custom recovery

How to and why:
    1. Root your phone first

credits
    @mattiadj and @mike1986.

man help me.
    and

Tutotial is simple. Step by step.
    I don't see reason why you can't use this if your Phone has same spec as mine .
    /storage/sdcard0
    /storage/extSdCard

And for your existing game data just copy it after at proper place

Here is whole script:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    mount -t vfat -o umask=0000 /dev/block/vold/179:129 /storage/sdcard0
    sleep 30
    mount -o bind /data/media /storage/extSdCard
    chmod 777 /mnt/extSdCard
    sleep 10
    chown 1023:1023 /storage/extSdCard
    chown 1000:1000 /storage/sdcard0
    I see.. so there's one thing i'm not comfortable with is the kernel from Druhvit being abit old (from 2014) while the new stock kernel is newer.. it'd be great if you give us (if you know) the command lines and such to extract the initrd and repack it without address issues...

To extract your current boot image to your extSDcard in terminal type:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17 of=/ExtSdCard/boot.img
    To repack boot.img use tool (split_boot_or_recovery_image) attached below (if you are using linux becouse I don't know how to do it under windows)
    Procedure is:
    1. extract split_boot_or_recovery_image in yor home folder and copy your boot.img in it.
    2. navigate to it using terminal:
    Code:
    cd split_boot_or_recovery_image
    3. type:
    Code:
    python split_boot_img.py -i boot.img -o parts
    and the zImage and ramdisk will be in parts folder. Rename it to something else.
    3. than copy Druhvit boot.img in split_boot_or_recovery_image folder and repeat command
    Code:
    python split_boot_img.py -i boot.img -o parts
    4. copy his ramdisk and your zImage and paste it to split_boot_or_recovery_image folder and delete boot.img becouse you will now create a new one.
    5. type command:
    Code:
    ./mkbootimg --kernel zImage --ramdisk ramdisk.gz --base 0 --pagesize 2048 -o boot.img
    That is all. Your boot.img with init.d support is ready.

If you want it for odin flash use following commands:
    Code:
     tar -H ustar -c boot.img > boot.tar
     md5sum -t boot.tar >> boot.tar
     mv boot.tar boot.tar.md5

please help my. I cant install any apk whith is not from play store. why.?:eek: afret I try to instal any apk it shows just " not installed " and manage files trought any file mananger is almost impossible to understand where is right place for files which I looking for.

thanks alot man..:victory:
    now I instal apk withot problem.
    Thanks bro for your awesome work.:good: