ih8legal

Mar 6, 2012
Requirements
1. Rooted Phone
2. Busybox installed
3. Mac Address Ghost app
4. A brain

------Disclaimer-------
I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please do some research if you have any questions before modifying your phone. YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. Hard. A lot.
------Disclaimer-------

About the requirements.

1.You need to root your device.
In order to do that search Google with - insert your device's model number here- root. Or you can search XDA, which is where Google will probably lead you to.

2.You need to have busybox installed. Most custom ROMS already have it installed. But if you don't have it installed this app here does an awesome job and doesn't require an internet connection. Just select the latest version and install it.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrummy.busybox.installer

3. You need this app here
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=diewland.changemac

Instructions

Follow these exactly or it won't work.

1. Open the Mac Address Ghost app
2. Click on the wrench icon on the right.
uploadfromtaptalk1368994301607.jpg
3. Click on add.
uploadfromtaptalk1368994427652.jpg
4. Now fill in the blanks
The profile name doesn't matter.
In the 2nd blank put in wlan0 if you have a newer phone. If it doesn't work later, put in eth0 and it should work.
In the 3rd blank put in the mac address you want to change to. It will automatically capitalize and input colons.
5. Now click OK and save.
6. Close the app.
7. Open your wifi settings.
8. Long press on the network you want to connect to and click forget. If the option to forget doesn't show up its because it's already forgotten.
9. Open Mac Address Ghost again.
10 . click on the big button and select your address from the list (probably the first one)
uploadfromtaptalk1368994628536.jpg
11. Press the button that says "Classic"
12. This is important. You will be prompted to give superuser permissions to Mac Address Ghost. If you have The old Superuser that looks like this uploadfromtaptalk1368994677518.jpg then check remember. If you have the new ClockworkMod superuser then check "This time only". uploadfromtaptalk1368994710675.jpg
13. the app will then open wifi settings where you can select the appropriate network to connect to.

The new mac address is temporary and only lasts till you turn wifi off or reboot.
To change your mac address again repeat process starting with step 7.

Please report back with your success or failure. I do know that on gingerbread devices you don't have to forget the network every time. I have only tested this on Gingerbread and Jellybean so far.

Feel free to press the thanks button if I helped you.

Last edited:

ih8legal

Mar 6, 2012
Buddy I think you dont know, after changing MAC Address the network doesnt work.
Changing MAC is illegal. :D

Sent from Earth

I don't know what you mean. The network doesn't work. What do you mean by that?
And spoofing or changing the mac address of a device isn't illegal in itself. But what you do with your spoofed mac address could be. If you use it to access an internet connection with multiple devices that you only paid for one then it's illegal.

Sent from the internetlands where moneys means nothing and we are judged by our intellect.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2736178

And spoofing or changing the mac address of a device isn't illegal in itself. But what you do with your spoofed mac address could be. If you use it to access an internet connection with multiple devices that you only paid for one then it's illegal.

Sent from the internetlands where moneys means nothing and we are judged by our intellect.

everytime I see someone say that changing your MAC is illegal i facepalm... anyway, the issue is that when you change the MAC you are no longer able to authenticate to your wifi AP it will sit at authenticating, at least this is what happens for me (dd-wrt)

ih8legal

Mar 6, 2012
everytime I see someone say that changing your MAC is illegal i facepalm... anyway, the issue is that when you change the MAC you are no longer able to authenticate to your wifi AP it will sit at authenticating, at least this is what happens for me (dd-wrt)

Turning WiFi off and then on again will reset your Mac to original. If it sits authenticating then you probably don't have an allowed Mac address on that particular network.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

D

Deleted member 2736178

Turning WiFi off and then on again will reset your Mac to original. If it sits authenticating then you probably don't have an allowed Mac address on that particular network.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

yeah getting back to original is no sweat, but the sitting at authenticating is not related to MAC filtering, in fact my router is not setup to filter MACs and a quick google shows this is a very common issue. Personally I don't care or need to change my MAC but it's just something of interest to follow

ravissimo

Apr 8, 2011
So I'm at a hotel and I've successfully used my rooted SGS3 as a WiFi hotspot to connect my Nexus 7 and Chromecast and watch Netflix on the hotel TV. While it works great since I get roughly ~24Mbps down and I have Sprint, so unlimited LTE, I was trying to get this working through the hotel WiFi. While my Nexus 7 connects to the hotel WiFi, it requires a login via the hotel website, but the WiFi is otherwise unprotected.

I used this guide and the ghost Mac address app and I thought it worked because after I spoofed the chromecast's Mac address on my SGS3, I got a new alert to log in to the hotel's WiFi network. I logged in and assumed the device was authorized and then reverted my phone's Mac address to normal and reconnected the Chromecast to the TV (I had it unplugged while I was spoofing it on my phone). While it seemed to work, I still can't get the Chromecast connected to the hotel WiFi. It just keeps saying it can't connect to the WiFi network.

Has anyone else tried this and had success? Or does anyone else know if this is a limitation of the Chromecast? I know all of the devices work since they work at home but also via WiFi tether on my phone. Suggestions?

ih8legal

Mar 6, 2012
So I'm at a hotel and I've successfully used my rooted SGS3 as a WiFi hotspot to connect my Nexus 7 and Chromecast and watch Netflix on the hotel TV. While it works great since I get roughly ~24Mbps down and I have Sprint, so unlimited LTE, I was trying to get this working through the hotel WiFi. While my Nexus 7 connects to the hotel WiFi, it requires a login via the hotel website, but the WiFi is otherwise unprotected.

I used this guide and the ghost Mac address app and I thought it worked because after I spoofed the chromecast's Mac address on my SGS3, I got a new alert to log in to the hotel's WiFi network. I logged in and assumed the device was authorized and then reverted my phone's Mac address to normal and reconnected the Chromecast to the TV (I had it unplugged while I was spoofing it on my phone). While it seemed to work, I still can't get the Chromecast connected to the hotel WiFi. It just keeps saying it can't connect to the WiFi network.

Has anyone else tried this and had success? Or does anyone else know if this is a limitation of the Chromecast? I know all of the devices work since they work at home but also via WiFi tether on my phone. Suggestions?

I'm not sure how that would work because the chromecast would still have to go through the hotel's login page which it doesn't support. I don't think those login pages remember Mac addresses and allow them in without relogin.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 4

ravissimo

Apr 8, 2011
Well I'm not sure what is or isn't remembered in their system, but as I've disconnected both my phone and laptop from the hotel WiFi and then reconnected, I *don't* get their login page again. And when I did spoof the Chromecast Mac address on my phone, I immediately got the login page again, so clearly the mac address is used as the identifier for devices and clearly there's at least several hours, likely a day, or more for temporary Mac address authorization. Not sure what else could be the problem. I think it might just be a Chromecast issue. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: ih8legal

palika

Apr 13, 2008
You can change your MAC, if you does not change the vendor byte, first 6 hex, but it wont connect to wifi AP.

Last edited:

shail00

Mac Address Ghost does not work on 4.4 devices.
Authentication Problem error is coming when i try to mask the address.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

ih8legal

Mar 6, 2012

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

Which device?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

oreo27

Sep 24, 2012
I've tried it on my stock i9300 running 4.3 (rooted with busybox installed). It reported it was working, but using a network scanner on my network revealed the MAC Address to be the unaltered :confused:

DJMacHack

Jan 8, 2014
I tried it with my HTC Wildfire... It sppofs my MAC but I can´t log in my router with my spoofed MAC. My MAC-Address is existing (It´s the one of my HTC Desire 500), and my Desire 500 is turned off... Where is the mistake?

L.iam

Sep 30, 2013
London
Requirements
1. Rooted Phone
2. Busybox installed
3. Mac Address Ghost app
4. A brain

------Disclaimer-------
I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please do some research if you have any questions before modifying your phone. YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. Hard. A lot.
------Disclaimer-------

About the requirements.

In order to do that search Google with - insert your device's model number here- root. Or you can search XDA, which is where Google will probably lead you to.

2.You need to have busybox installed. Most custom ROMS already have it installed. But if you don't have it installed this app here does an awesome job and doesn't require an internet connection. Just select the latest version and install it.

Instructions

View attachment 1975172
3. Click on add.
View attachment 1975175
In the 2nd blank put in wlan0 if you have a newer phone. If it doesn't work later, put in eth0 and it should work.
In the 3rd blank put in the mac address you want to change to. It will automatically capitalize and input colons.
6. Close the app.
8. Long press on the network you want to connect to and click forget. If the option to forget doesn't show up its because it's already forgotten.
10 . click on the big button and select your address from the list (probably the first one)
View attachment 1975184
12. This is important. You will be prompted to give superuser permissions to Mac Address Ghost. If you have The old Superuser that looks like this View attachment 1975185 then check remember. If you have the new ClockworkMod superuser then check "This time only". View attachment 1975186
13. the app will then open wifi settings where you can select the appropriate network to connect to.

The new mac address is temporary and only lasts till you turn wifi off or reboot.

Please report back with your success or failure. I do know that on gingerbread devices you don't have to forget the network every time. I have only tested this on Gingerbread and Jellybean so far.

Does this method work when tethering? I'm trying to spoof a mac when using the device to tether.
I've tired a variety of options, anyone have any idea?

piraterex

Dec 11, 2012
POCO M2 Pro
Xiaomi Poco F3
HTC pico error

Requirements
1. Rooted Phone
2. Busybox installed
3. Mac Address Ghost app
4. A brain

------Disclaimer-------
------Disclaimer-------

About the requirements.

Instructions

View attachment 1975172
3. Click on add.
View attachment 1975175
6. Close the app.
View attachment 1975184
12. This is important. You will be prompted to give superuser permissions to Mac Address Ghost. If you have The old Superuser that looks like this View attachment 1975185 then check remember. If you have the new ClockworkMod superuser then check "This time only". View attachment 1975186

Not working on HTC pico with HTC sense 4 rom!!

siftekhar

Aug 1, 2011
FL
does the app (ghost app) needs to be moved to priv-app folder? like apn backup and restore app ?

Pi Darksider

Dec 31, 2013
@ih8legal : Hello
I used you guide and after that i ran command arp -a ipadresss
After running the command it showed my device's original mac address..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Requirements
    1. Rooted Phone
    2. Busybox installed
    3. Mac Address Ghost app
    4. A brain

------Disclaimer-------
    ------Disclaimer-------

About the requirements.

Instructions

uploadfromtaptalk1368994301607.jpg
    3. Click on add.
    uploadfromtaptalk1368994427652.jpg
    6. Close the app.
    uploadfromtaptalk1368994628536.jpg
    12. This is important. You will be prompted to give superuser permissions to Mac Address Ghost. If you have The old Superuser that looks like this uploadfromtaptalk1368994677518.jpg then check remember. If you have the new ClockworkMod superuser then check "This time only". uploadfromtaptalk1368994710675.jpg

Buddy I think you dont know, after changing MAC Address the network doesnt work.

Sent from Earth

That sucks...I guess it's a no go...

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

Yea, this is common with these spoof apps...more often than not it spoofs the user into thinking their spoofing .... LOL

@ih8legal : Hello
    I used you guide and after that i ran command arp -a ipadresss
    After running the command it showed my device's original mac address..

Sent from Earth
    Well I'm not sure what is or isn't remembered in their system, but as I've disconnected both my phone and laptop from the hotel WiFi and then reconnected, I *don't* get their login page again. And when I did spoof the Chromecast Mac address on my phone, I immediately got the login page again, so clearly the mac address is used as the identifier for devices and clearly there's at least several hours, likely a day, or more for temporary Mac address authorization. Not sure what else could be the problem. I think it might just be a Chromecast issue. :(