64 gb micros....unbelievable

Search This thread

Klyentel

Aug 23, 2009
Cary, NC
bit.ly
Has anyone seen this? http://tinyurl.com/ybz2qfd

man that's crazy, although the 64's won't work with g1, I think its expandable capacity is only 32gb, but that's still big! Not sure of the class #'s on these bad boys, but I'm sure if there aren't any 6 or 10 class versions available yet it won't be long!

EDIT: nevermind, they're all 32's.....the 64gb has something to do with flash or whatever, IDK

Last edited:

G_won

Jun 28, 2009
lol hey I'd be set if I can get 32GB in MicroSDHC, and there's no whispers of THAT coming out as of yet :(

BigRonW

Sep 13, 2010
Port st Mary
Sony Tablet S
lol hey I'd be set if I can get 32GB in MicroSDHC, and there's no whispers of THAT coming out as of yet :(
Strange you should say that....
hxxp://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=5614&CategoryID=410&SubCategoryID=433

As I'm a newbie, I can't post external links.... but apparently CAN post links where "http" have been changed to "hxxp". I spotted this link earlier today, from Morgan Computers - a BIG hardware-clearance company in New Oxford Street, London. £51 for a 32Gig SDHC card.

" The 32GB SDHC memory card is German made, leading edge technology at its best! It also comes with a lifetime manufacturer warranty.

The 32GB SD Card offers high storage capacity with a write speed of 10MBytes/s and a read speed of 20MBytes/s. It is ideal for new generation digital camera and other applications with SDHC cards slots.

Compatible with All SDHC devices
32GB stores approx 1200 x 10MP Photos, 545 Hours of MP3
May be in Eco Friendly Bulk Packaging

*Please Note: SDHC cards will only work in devices that are compatible with the Higher SDHC Specification cards"

I'm going to invest in one of these for my (new!) Desire - my two G-1's will have to continue to make-do with 8 Gig Sandisk TF cards.

majikfox

Oct 25, 2010
You let us all know how that works. :rolleyes:

I have two 32GB SDHC's, one is class 2, the other class 6.

The class 2 works but it's insanely slow and it consumes a lot of battery due to the extra hot time required for reads and writes.

The class 6 is extremely fast and doesn't cause noticeable battery drain.

IMP

Jul 12, 2004
York
So am I correct in assuming that the higher the class number, the faster the performance & lower the power usage?

agentfusion

Jun 27, 2009
Baltimore
wr3tch.com
OnePlus 9
32gb is the addressable limit of the SDHC standard.. when 64gb cards appear they will be SDXC, which means no current hardware can use them. Awesome. :rolleyes:

Meh. Until there's a PAE firmware released for the device. Like how a 32bit OS can only handle 4GB RAM until you enable PAE. (In windows, you can simply "turn it on", in linux you need a kernel with a PAE module enabled)

PAE, or Physical Address Extension, should allow for a 52 bit limit on physical memory but only supports a 48-bit virtual address space. 4 × 10245 bytes, or 4 Petabytes and 256 × 10244 bytes or 256 Terabytes, respectively. (What that means is, if the hardware doesn't support 52 bit addresses natively, then they highest capacity that can be reached via PAE is 256 Terabytes through virtualization.)

What does that mean for an android device? A PAE Kernel Module could be created to allow for addressing of more than 32 Gigabytes, how far past 32 Gigabytes? That I don't know. I would assume at least somewhere in the realm of 128-256 Gigabytes. I doubt there will ever be a MicroSD card at that capacity though. By the time we see affordable solid-state storage as small as MicroSD with a capacity over 64 Gigabytes it is unlikely that MicroSD will even still be around, and I doubt anyone will still be using the G1 anyway at that point. We're talking another 4 years or so, making the G1 an antique by technology standards.

tl;dr version: Once 64GB cards are affordable enough for it to be practical to put the time and effort into a firmware mod (kernel module,etc) for an android version of something resembling PAE, you can expect -someone- will figure out a way to enable 64GB usage in the G1.

langersteff

Dec 24, 2010
I think we're gonna see faces like this: :eek: all the time, when it comes to electronics industry... I can still remember my first Intel 486 with a few MB HDD! :D

IMP

Jul 12, 2004
York
Here we are 2 years later, 256gb micro sd cards are just starting to appear on evilbay.
Also USB thumbdrives that can handle up to 512gb cards :)