Hard Reset and Format?

Search This thread

tuc28878

Feb 19, 2014
I was just wondering what is the difference between a hard reset from the recovery mode (volume up, power, and home) and a format (from wipe in ss)?

graydiggy

Sep 26, 2011
Bryan, TX
A hard reset is just that. A reset.

A wipe is a wipe.

Guess what one you will not get to boot.

Sent from my SM-N9005A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

tuc28878

Feb 19, 2014
Ok maybe my question is too general. See i'm very new to this whole root, rom, ss scene. I'm trying to understand something here. As I know that when you do a hard reset it will put your phone back to the factory state as when you first got the phone. Thus all the apps and everything you install on your phone will be gone. But what happens to the files from root, safestrap, busybox and such that was installed to the phone? Will those files be deleted too?

graydiggy

Sep 26, 2011
Bryan, TX
Normally... Yes they will be deleted.

But it isn't hard to re-root.

Sent from my SM-N9005A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Agent

Feb 5, 2013
I was just wondering what is the difference between a hard reset from the recovery mode (volume up, power, and home) and a format (from wipe in ss)?

If you do a factory reset from the GUI it will do everything recovery does plus format any secure stuff off your SD card that you won't be able to use anymore after you do a reset (such as app data). Of course it can be restored with TB. If you do a wipe from the recovery menu it's faster, but you should probably manually delete that secure folder off your SD card on boot. If you start having problems or conflicts that might be why.