Help with linux

Search This thread

sultan.of.swing

Apr 12, 2010
Camas, WA
Ok before anyone asks, Yes I did read the linux threads. Problem is my windows box no longer works. I had to take my slide back to stock before i carried it to tmobile. I had it rooted. Now I am trying to re-root it in ubuntu 10 and im not having any luck getting ADB to connect to the slide while in recovery. I am a complete newb to linux. I do have ADB working because I can adb to the device while it is booted into its normal state(OS loaded).

Was wondering if anybody can lend me a point in the right direction so to speak.
So ADB is working but only while booted into the normal OS.

nbetcher

Jan 2, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Crap. Time to see if I can fix my winblows Box then!

You do realize that there are a lot of other distributions out there other than Ubuntu? Ubuntu is easy, yes, but almost too easy. You're not going to learn anything about Linux with that disguise around it. Besides, openSUSE 11.3 was just released and it has YaST: the best system configuration tool ever. It's almost as easy as Ubuntu. Try it out: http://software.opensuse.org/113/en.

More specifically though, I personally use openSUSE 11.3 and it plays nicely with ADB and rooting with the ADB race exploit (which, for the record, is what you're trying to do). :)

sultan.of.swing

Apr 12, 2010
Camas, WA
Ok say I install openSUSE 11.3. Will I have to do any hackery to get adb running? I'm not well trained on linux. But from last nights experience I know how to work with the terminal and nautilus:)

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App

nbetcher

Jan 2, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Ok say I install openSUSE 11.3. Will I have to do any hackery to get adb running? I'm not well trained on linux. But from last nights experience I know how to work with the terminal and nautilus:)

No, nothing other than what you did on Ubuntu. Just install ADB using the Android SDK from their website and plug in your phone to your computer. Done.

Also of note, when you install openSUSE it defaults to KDE as your desktop environment. If you want Gnome, select it during install. Nautilus isn't present in KDE, but it has Konqueror (which is arguably better). Personally I use KDE, but I have a bias towards it since I was a developer for it long ago. Flamewars rage, have raged, and will always continue to rage about what is better: KDE or Gnome. There's no clear answers, but most of KDE's recent bad publicity was due to its 4.0 and 4.1 releases. 4.2 is much better and it can be greatly appreciated.

That being said, you can use Nautilus in KDE if you want as well as Pidgin (Kopete is dieing and doesn't really work anymore).

sultan.of.swing

Apr 12, 2010
Camas, WA
No, nothing other than what you did on Ubuntu. Just install ADB using the Android SDK from their website and plug in your phone to your computer. Done.

Also of note, when you install openSUSE it defaults to KDE as your desktop environment. If you want Gnome, select it during install. Nautilus isn't present in KDE, but it has Konqueror (which is arguably better). Personally I use KDE, but I have a bias towards it since I was a developer for it long ago. Flamewars rage, have raged, and will always continue to rage about what is better: KDE or Gnome. There's no clear answers, but most of KDE's recent bad publicity was due to its 4.0 and 4.1 releases. 4.2 is much better and it can be greatly appreciated.

That being said, you can use Nautilus in KDE if you want as well as Pidgin (Kopete is dieing and doesn't really work anymore).

To get ADB installed and running on Ubuntu I had to follow the guide posted here on XDA which involved some editing here and there. If its the same in openSUSE then I should be able to get it running. Thank's for your help and I am going to probably go ahead and download and install openSUSE. I need to learn linux anyway.

EDIT- Whew, 4gb. Guess I will let this download tonight and come back tomorrow night and install and try it again.

Last edited:

nbetcher

Jan 2, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
To get ADB installed and running on Ubuntu I had to follow the guide posted here on XDA which involved some editing here and there. If its the same in openSUSE then I should be able to get it running. Thank's for your help and I am going to probably go ahead and download and install openSUSE. I need to learn linux anyway.

EDIT- Whew, 4gb. Guess I will let this download tonight and come back tomorrow night and install and try it again.

Strange, the SDK worked out-of-the-box for me on openSUSE 11.3 - no editing of anything required.

And yeah, it's 4GB - that is the entire repository. Ubuntu gives you a smaller CD (as opposed to a DVD) then allows you to download anything else you want later. Personally I prefer the DVD, but I also have a 20mbit connection. :p

sultan.of.swing

Apr 12, 2010
Camas, WA
Strange, the SDK worked out-of-the-box for me on openSUSE 11.3 - no editing of anything required.

And yeah, it's 4GB - that is the entire repository. Ubuntu gives you a smaller CD (as opposed to a DVD) then allows you to download anything else you want later. Personally I prefer the DVD, but I also have a 20mbit connection. :p

Well hopefully I wont have to do any editing to get it to work either.
It's downloading at 400kb/s about 3 hours to download so it aint gonna take that long.

Thank's for your help. If I didn't have work tomorrow I would be up late setting all this up because my slide without root just plain suck's. LOL

nbetcher

Jan 2, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Well hopefully I wont have to do any editing to get it to work either.
It's downloading at 400kb/s about 3 hours to download so it aint gonna take that long.

Thank's for your help. If I didn't have work tomorrow I would be up late setting all this up because my slide without root just plain suck's. LOL

i hear ya. I'll be on late tomorrow on IRC (irc.fredenode.net #teamslide) and i can help you with anything Linux related.

sultan.of.swing

Apr 12, 2010
Camas, WA
i hear ya. I'll be on late tomorrow on IRC (irc.fredenode.net #teamslide) and i can help you with anything Linux related.

Awesome. I'm gonna try to do everything by myself and if all that fails then I'm sure I will need some help. I hate having to ask for help. I usually search and find the answers I am looking for so hopefully that will be the case once all this is up and running.

P.S.-- If the Mod's would like to move this thread to the Q&A/General section then feel free. I only posted it here because no one ever seems to look at the linux thread over in Q&A.

sultan.of.swing

Apr 12, 2010
Camas, WA
Well I'm sitting here trying to install openSUSE and its not working. It goes though all its checks at the beginning and then just goes to a black screen and stays there.

nbetcher

Jan 2, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Well I'm sitting here trying to install openSUSE and its not working. It goes though all its checks at the beginning and then just goes to a black screen and stays there.

It sounds like it's an X display issue which is surprising in all honesty. What kind of computer do you have? If it's a custom built what is the video card (or if you know the video card and it is a pre-built)?

sultan.of.swing

Apr 12, 2010
Camas, WA
It sounds like it's an X display issue which is surprising in all honesty. What kind of computer do you have? If it's a custom built what is the video card (or if you know the video card and it is a pre-built)?
Its an older prebuilt hewlett crappard. I got out of building custom computers a while ago.
Anyway I got installing now using text mode. Its at 83 percent right now. Will see what happens.

Ok wtf. It finished installing, then rebooted and says something about hard disk not found or something.

nbetcher

Jan 2, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Nope just one drive and I set it up as the first boot device. Guess its time to see if I can find my windows disk.

*shrug* I won't stop you from running Windows if you want. :)

Sometimes certain drivers can interfere with the proper tagging of the drives - most of the has been eliminated which is why I'm surprised to see that issue at all anymore. What I would try first though is making sure that you're NOT booting from the openSUSE DVD when you reboot after that install. Remove the DVD, then boot from your hard drive directly.

If that doesn't fix it then if you're interested you can do this:

Boot into 'Rescue' from the DVD.
Once loaded and at login type 'root' (it won't ask for a password).
Type 'dmesg |more' and look for your hard drive (press 'Space' to go down one-by-one page - it will take a few pages before you get to what you're looking for) immediately followed by something like "sda sda1 sda2 sda3". (The 'a' may be different for you and THAT is what we're looking for).
Once you have that changed letter (e.g. instead of 'sda' you have 'sdb' or 'sdc') type: 'fdisk /dev/sdX' where 'X' is the changed letter.
Then look for the first line that says 'Linux' to the right of it - it will most likely be THE first line. Make note of that number next to '/dev/sdXN' (where 'N' is the number).
Reboot (you can hard reset if you want) and make sure your openSUSE DVD isn't in the drive. Once the boot menu comes up press ESC, then Enter.
In that menu press 'e', then change where it says change 'root=/dev/blahblahblah' to 'root=/dev/sdXN' (where X and N are what you recorded earlier).
Press 'Enter' then 'b'
See if that works.

Otherwise, enjoy the next several hours of installing Windows, Windows patches, applications, and configuration of everything. :)

EDIT: keep in mind that all of those instructions are from memory, so YMMV
EDIT2: Eh, I had the dmesg grep wrong. Updated to make it a bit more painful, but actually work
An example of the lines in the dmesg you're looking for is something like:
[ 2.640793] scsi 3:0:0:0: Direct-Access ATA HDS728080PLAT20 PF2O PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
[ 2.641334] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] 160836480 512-byte logical blocks: (82.3 GB/76.6 GiB)
[ 2.641459] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
[ 2.641465] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
[ 2.641523] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or F
UA
[ 2.641901] sdb: sdb1 sdb2 sdb3

Last edited:

sultan.of.swing

Apr 12, 2010
Camas, WA
I'm trying a different install this time. Set up the formatting to see if it will make a difference. If not I will try your method. I was booting without the dvd in the drive as well. I booted into recovery before and tried a bunch of different passwords and what not and decided to try root and that brought up a bunch of stuff I couldn't comprehend. now I know. Lol

Let's see what doesn't happen!

sultan.of.swing

Apr 12, 2010
Camas, WA
Well it got farther this time. Now its at the yast2 installation screen. Getting somewhere now.

Got a green from now! And bam I'm on the desktop!!!!
NICE!

Ok how the F do I get my internet working? I went through the network settings but it still don't work