[RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP for Galaxy A40

Search This thread

ogust

Nov 13, 2019
Hey. Thank you very much for your work! but, on a40 FN I tried the versions: TWRP_A40_A405FN_V3_ASJ1 and TWRP_A40_A405FN_V4_ASJ1 unfortunately a gray flickering screen ((
Will there be TWRP for the October update?
if so, how long to wait?

thomasid

Nov 14, 2019
Hi, I follow the procedure but when I load to system and install root checker, I always get 'not rooted' for A405FN.
Which of the zip files have to be installed with TWRP?

Thank you

fredapied

Sep 28, 2010
hello all
with SJ1 nothing works yet (TWRP_A40_A405FN_V4_ASJ1 nor v3)

ahadali2315 should write it on his post...

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2012
Update

Right, I have read all this tread and for what I can tell you must downgrade your firmware to before the October update and then follow the tutorial to flash TWRP and other zip files stated. Has anyone tried this method and succeed?

Lenny Bard

Jun 24, 2016
Right, I have read all this tread and for what I can tell you must downgrade your firmware to before the October update and then follow the tutorial to flash TWRP and other zip files stated. Has anyone tried this method and succeed?

The only solution if you are on a SJ1 firmware and you want TWRP is to flash SG1 firmware. Tested and approved ;)

chiri137

Sep 19, 2019
Now everything seems to work!

I've installed all of these:
A40 MultiDisabler
GSI_MTP_Enabler

except:
DM-VerityDisabler&ForceEncrypt

fredapied

Sep 28, 2010
Yes ponces you're right !
I mean The samsung's firmware.
I think there's nothing yet for the latest firmware.

Envoyé de mon SM-A405FN en utilisant Tapatalk

Italiandoitbetter

Oct 24, 2016
Team Win Recovery Project 3.3.1

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.maketecheasier.com%2Fassets%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F01%2Ftwrp-featured.jpg

Exynos ONLY.
In NO way it is compatible with Snapdragon variants including but not limited to American(U/A/T/P/V), Chinese(0/8/6), Hong Kong(0), Japanese(SC-*), Canadian(W) variants.

Special Notes:
1. DON'T FORGET TO ENABLE "OEM UNLOCK" (located in Developers options).
2. KNOX will be tripped once you flashed custom binaries to your phone.
(Your warranty may be voided. However this may not affect you if your country forces Samsung to provide hardware warranty regardless of software status.)
3. Samsung Firmware OTA (aka System Updates) will no longer work once you flashed custom binaries.
(You can flash custom ROMs if you want to keep the OS up-to-date.)
4. All apps that use KNOX like Samsung pay, Secure Folder and maybe more will no more work

Download: A40(Exynos variant - A405F)

TWRP

A40 MultiDisabler

GSI_MTP_Enabler

Sources:

TWRP

Guide:

1. Go to developer settings and enable OEM unlocking
  2. Reboot the device into download mode
  3. Follow instructions in download mode to UNLOCK your bootloader
  4. This will wipe your data partition so beware , boot phone to system and let it connect to internet after bootloader unlock.
  5. Reboot into download mode and FLASH included TWRP tar file
  6. Boot into twrp
  7. Format Internal storage in TWRP
  8. Flash the multidisabler zip *Copy this to your SDCARD before wiping internal etc* this is for disabling all checks ( HUGE thanks to @geiti94)
  9. Make sure you are rooted with latest Magisk otherwise you will lose twrp
Bugs:

- USB OTG mount for the moment

[/YOUTUBE]​

NOTE: I don't own the device myself , but i do have A305F which is pretty similar to this device so building should be fairly similar

Thanks to @DerGraf1997 for testing blindly for me

Hi, according to you, could this process work with A70 A705FN ? thx

BangaJuice

Dec 6, 2019
My phone is in a loop boot

PERFECT ! WORKS excellent now. I'm writing this small noob-friendly tutorial so people can follow, I hope it's fool proof.

Step 0: Prereq
Download all the zip files from the main page on your phone and put them in the external SD card.

How to enable developer
Goto settings -> About Phone -> Software Information -> Tap "build number" 5 times

Enable OEM unlocking
Go back to Settings -> Developer options -> Enable "Oem unlocking" (if you do not see this option OR its grayed out try to connect your phone to internet, or follow this https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-8/how-to/how-to-skip-oem-lock-waiting-7-days-100-t3823361)

Note: Enabling OEM unlock here does not mean your OEM is unlocked! This switch only allows you to unlock it..Also enable USB debugging.

Turn off your phone.

Next: hold UP + Power until you will see a green screen. It must say "Hold long up to OEM/bootloader unlock." Follow those steps, to unlock it.
Congrats, now your OEM is unlocked. Turn off your phone.

Install TWRP
Hold UP + Power again. In the screen select "wipe data (factory reset). Then select Turn off Phone (should be one of the lower options)

While phone is off, hold UP + DOWN volume and attach USB cable to your phone. It should go into download mode.

In Odin, put the TWRP_A40 image in AP
Un-tick Auto reboot in the options tab.

Remove usb cable.

Tricky part: hold 7 seconds down+power. As soon as screen goes black hold UP + power!
Now you should be in TWRP!!

Once inside TWRP
Flash all the zip files you downloaded to your SD card
Go back to main menu, select reboot -> Recovery. Then reboot normally.

Enjoy =) Android must now boot up normally.

After following these instrucions my Samsung A40 keeps looping while prompting these messages :
"The phone is not running Samsung's official software. You may have problems with features or security and wont be able to install software updates"

followed by

"This phone's bootloader is unlocked and its software integrity cannot be verified. Any data on this phone may be vulnerable to attackers. Dont store any important or sensitive information on this phone."

Could i get some help ? it is my first time installing TWRP on a samsung device and i wonder what has gone wrong...

Edit: ive had october update installed, so maybe should i flash a previous samsung firmware ?

Edit 2 : Flashed version A405FNXXU2ASG1 and then flashed twrp now everything works fine

Edit 3: Tried to flash SuperSU and then got into a loop boot, then repeated the process and attempted to flash magisk (it failed) and ended up again in a loop boot... can i get any help ?
This is how i proceeded : I flashed twrp then wiped the phone, flashed the multidisabler then immediatly after flashed magisk... and ended up in a loop boot

I note that to get out of the loop boot i flash the stock rom of build number A405FNXXU2ASG1 (july update) I have tried to patch the AP file with magisk manager but ended up on a stuck samsung logo after rebooting. I then reverted to the stock rom.
If anyone could help me, here is my discord: BangaJuice#2760 or simply reply to this message, i will answer as soon as i see it

BangaJuice.

Last edited:

fredapied

Sep 28, 2010
Is there someone with the October's update installed (A405FNXXU2ASJ1) that could test this new version I built?

Download here.

This was built from source using the kernel source files from Samsung's Open Source platform and TWRP's repo.

Thank you!
Same instructions ?

unlock.
[*]Reboot into download mode and FLASH included TWRP tar file
[*]Boot into twrp
[*]Format Internal storage in TWRP
[*]Flash the multidisabler zip

All data wiped ?
Have tried yourself ?

ponces

Recognized Developer
Same instructions ?

unlock.
[*]Reboot into download mode and FLASH included TWRP tar file
[*]Boot into twrp
[*]Format Internal storage in TWRP
[*]Flash the multidisabler zip

All data wiped ?
Have tried yourself ?

Yes, same instructions apply.
Did not have the time to try yet, but most probably tomorrow I'll try.
The free time I had this weekend was only to create the repos and this build.

But did you already try it?

fredapied

Sep 28, 2010
Yes, same instructions apply.
Did not have the time to try yet, but most probably tomorrow I'll try.
The free time I had this weekend was only to create the repos and this build.

But did you already try it?

juste tested and... IT WORKS on the latest firmware SJ1
thank you very much ponces ! :D

and just made that after

2/ Root
just patch the boot .img and the root is kept (no need to power on the phone in TWRP or power it with Vol+ and power)

3/ Modded the bootlogo
:good:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team Win Recovery Project 3.3.1

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.maketecheasier.com%2Fassets%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F01%2Ftwrp-featured.jpg

Exynos ONLY.
    In NO way it is compatible with Snapdragon variants including but not limited to American(U/A/T/P/V), Chinese(0/8/6), Hong Kong(0), Japanese(SC-*), Canadian(W) variants.

Special Notes:
    1. DON'T FORGET TO ENABLE "OEM UNLOCK" (located in Developers options).
    2. KNOX will be tripped once you flashed custom binaries to your phone.
    (Your warranty may be voided. However this may not affect you if your country forces Samsung to provide hardware warranty regardless of software status.)
    3. Samsung Firmware OTA (aka System Updates) will no longer work once you flashed custom binaries.
    (You can flash custom ROMs if you want to keep the OS up-to-date.)
    4. All apps that use KNOX like Samsung pay, Secure Folder and maybe more will no more work

Download: A40(Exynos variant - A405F)

TWRP

A40 MultiDisabler

GSI_MTP_Enabler

Sources:

TWRP

Guide:

1. Go to developer settings and enable OEM unlocking
    2. Reboot the device into download mode
    3. Follow instructions in download mode to UNLOCK your bootloader
    4. This will wipe your data partition so beware , boot phone to system and let it connect to internet after bootloader unlock.
    5. Reboot into download mode and FLASH included TWRP tar file
    6. Boot into twrp
    7. Format Internal storage in TWRP
    8. Flash the multidisabler zip *Copy this to your SDCARD before wiping internal etc* this is for disabling all checks ( HUGE thanks to @geiti94)
    9. Make sure you are rooted with latest Magisk otherwise you will lose twrp
    Bugs:

- USB OTG mount for the moment

[/YOUTUBE]​

NOTE: I don't own the device myself , but i do have A305F which is pretty similar to this device so building should be fairly similar

Thanks to @DerGraf1997 for testing blindly for me
    PERFECT ! WORKS excellent now. I'm writing this small noob-friendly tutorial so people can follow, I hope it's fool proof.

Step 0: Prereq
    Download all the zip files from the main page on your phone and put them in the external SD card.

How to enable developer
    Goto settings -> About Phone -> Software Information -> Tap "build number" 5 times

Enable OEM unlocking
    Go back to Settings -> Developer options -> Enable "Oem unlocking" (if you do not see this option OR its grayed out try to connect your phone to internet, or follow this https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-8/how-to/how-to-skip-oem-lock-waiting-7-days-100-t3823361)

Note: Enabling OEM unlock here does not mean your OEM is unlocked! This switch only allows you to unlock it..Also enable USB debugging.

Turn off your phone.

Next: hold UP + Power until you will see a green screen. It must say "Hold long up to OEM/bootloader unlock." Follow those steps, to unlock it.
    Congrats, now your OEM is unlocked. Turn off your phone.

Install TWRP
    Hold UP + Power again. In the screen select "wipe data (factory reset). Then select Turn off Phone (should be one of the lower options)

While phone is off, hold UP + DOWN volume and attach USB cable to your phone. It should go into download mode.

In Odin, put the TWRP_A40 image in AP
    Un-tick Auto reboot in the options tab.

Remove usb cable.

Tricky part: hold 7 seconds down+power. As soon as screen goes black hold UP + power!
    Now you should be in TWRP!!

Once inside TWRP
    Flash all the zip files you downloaded to your SD card
    Go back to main menu, select reboot -> Recovery. Then reboot normally.

Enjoy =) Android must now boot up normally.
    Twrp updated 3.3.1-2
    - Fixed MTP for GSI roms included GSI_MTP_PATCH.zip to get it working on Gsi properly
    - For data backup to work , flash whole samsung firmware with odin , flash twrp and flash DM-Verity , force encryption fix linked in OP
    Dont flash Multidisabler if you want data backup to work.
    Telegram:

https://t.me/GalaxyA2019

Changelog:

- Fixed MTP for GSI roms
    included also GSI_MTP_PATCH.zip to get it working on Gsi properly
    - For data backup to work , flash whole samsung firmware with odin , flash twrp and flash DM-Verity , force encryption fix linked in OP .Dont flash Multidisabler if you want data backup to work

- Based on latest kernel sources available ASE4
    - Initial Release

More instructions & differences between disablers

1. If you intend to flash twrp only & keep OneUi intact
    Flash A40 multidisabler after flashing twrp, this will disable all samsung checks
    Note : You will have to wipe your internal storage to get encryption fixed

2. If you plan on flashing some rom that has security checks disabled like GSI or custom roms. Then just flash twrp & flash Dmverity fix after rom. (data backup will only work with this)
    Note: If you flash multidisabler and later on wish to flash gsi & dm verity . Your data partition wont backup in twrp.
    As from screenshot our partition is a only hope that's helps
    Use A/B .

Follow the link for more information
    Link to Phh

PS. Working GSIs on A30/A40 right now are

Lineage OS 16.0 build by AndyVan
    Havoc OS GSI
    Phh Aosp 9/10

More maybe. But these are the most stable ones.