[Shell Extension]Display APK icons from explorer

Search This thread

allangoing

Oct 27, 2009
sites.google.com
Didn't work for me either running XP. I looked through properties like others suggested but found nothing that would allow me to change this. Does it have to be changed where it says "open file with..." or is something else changing?
where did you put the dll? did you check the registry like what I said in previous post? is there any information shows up when you run the reg.bat?

Reactions: G3-SCORPIO

allangoing

Oct 27, 2009
sites.google.com
Didn't work for me either running XP. I looked through properties like others suggested but found nothing that would allow me to change this. Does it have to be changed where it says "open file with..." or is something else changing?
where did you put the dll? did you check the registry like what I said in previous post? is there any information shows up when you run the reg.bat?

Reactions: G3-SCORPIO

pentace

Oct 25, 2006
I had a hard time getting this to work till I right click on one of the apk's and properties to find DroidExplorer icon. uninstall DroidExplorer and it work. Did it on win-xp and win-7.

Thanks Allangoing been looking for something like this for a long time.

is your win 7 32 bit or 64 bit? I still have issues on win7 64 i think because it is trying to shove it in sytem32 and im pretty sure on 64 it needs to go into syswow64

allangoing

Oct 27, 2009
sites.google.com
I'm pretty sure in XP 32bit you can put the dll into any folder, but for 64bit, probably it's different.... I'm still digging why and how let it work, any suggestion?

FatBoyExtraordinaire

Jun 24, 2008
Philadelphia
I've been trying to use this but whenever I try to execute the reg.bat file, it says
"
C:\Users\FatBoyExtraordinaire\Documents\APK Icon>regasm.exe /codebase apkshellex
t.dll
Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Assembly Registration Utility 2.0.50727.42
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2004. All rights reserved.

RegAsm : error RA0000 : An error occurred while writing the registration informa
tion to the registry. You must have administrative credentials to perform this t
ask. Contact your system administrator for assistance

C:\Users\FatBoyExtraordinaire\Documents\APK Icon>pause
Press any key to continue . . . "

The thing is, I am the administrator and am using that account. Any tips?

allangoing

Oct 27, 2009
sites.google.com
64bit OS user:
can you please try to use your local regasm.exe instead of the one inside the zip package?
In reg.bat, replace regasm.exe with "%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\regasm.exe"

Use the dll in the OLD zip package, NOT the x64 version. The old one compiled with "any CPU" option and should be compatible with both x86 and x64.

I still haven't gotten my 64bit os run, so please tell me the result, thanks!

Beast84

Oct 28, 2007
Albuquerque

Sorry it works now. Just read that a reboot fixes it. Maybe you should put that in the OP. Thanks for making this, makes finding some of these apk's so much easier on my laptop.

Question...
If I wanna move the dll to the /system/32 directory, would I have to put the reg.bat in there too? Or could I just move the dll & run the reg.bat from the desktop? I just like keeping my desktop as clutter free as possible

pentace

Oct 25, 2006
64bit OS user:
can you please try to use your local regasm.exe instead of the one inside the zip package?
In reg.bat, replace regasm.exe with "%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\regasm.exe"

Use the dll in the OLD zip package, NOT the x64 version. The old one compiled with "any CPU" option and should be compatible with both x86 and x64.

I still haven't gotten my 64bit os run, so please tell me the result, thanks!

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\regasm.exe /codebase apkshellex
t.dll
Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Assembly Registration Utility 2.0.50727.4918

RegAsm : error RA0000 : Unable to locate input assembly 'aplshellext.dll' or one of its dependencies

allangoing

Oct 27, 2009
sites.google.com
Sorry it works now. Just read that a reboot fixes it. Maybe you should put that in the OP. Thanks for making this, makes finding some of these apk's so much easier on my laptop.

Question...
If I wanna move the dll to the /system/32 directory, would I have to put the reg.bat in there too? Or could I just move the dll & run the reg.bat from the desktop? I just like keeping my desktop as clutter free as possible

yes, you have to move reg.bat there as well,,but after register, you can delete everything but apkshellext.dll :D
I will put a "reboot" there :p
I'm glad to hear you like this! I'm trying to add more stuff on this, how about install to your phone from context menu?:rolleyes:

allangoing

Oct 27, 2009
sites.google.com
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\regasm.exe /codebase apkshellex
t.dll

RegAsm : error RA0000 : Unable to locate input assembly 'aplshellext.dll' or one of its dependencies

Thank you for the information, let me try harder!!:mad:

allangoing

Oct 27, 2009
sites.google.com
I've been trying to use this but whenever I try to execute the reg.bat file, it says
"
C:\Users\FatBoyExtraordinaire\Documents\APK Icon>regasm.exe /codebase apkshellex
t.dll
Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Assembly Registration Utility 2.0.50727.42

RegAsm : error RA0000 : An error occurred while writing the registration informa
tion to the registry. You must have administrative credentials to perform this t
ask. Contact your system administrator for assistance

C:\Users\FatBoyExtraordinaire\Documents\APK Icon>pause
Press any key to continue . . . "

The thing is, I am the administrator and am using that account. Any tips?

you are not using XP, right?
right click reg.bat, you will see "run as adminstrator":rolleyes:

allangoing

Oct 27, 2009
sites.google.com
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\regasm.exe /codebase apkshellext.dll

it's due to somehow regasm.exe don't care the dll in current directory but searching for it in system32 directory,
solution :
Add full path before apkshellext.dll
or
Use variables : %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\regasm.exe /codebase %cd%\apkshellext.dll

Last edited:

FatBoyExtraordinaire

Jun 24, 2008
Philadelphia
ah....did you check if you can use "regedit"?
how about change a user which also has admin authority?

This is the only account on the computer. And I have it set to Admin.

you are not using XP, right?
right click reg.bat, you will see "run as adminstrator":rolleyes:

I'm using Vista and was going to try that, but it doesn't give me that option. Don't know why. Is there anything else I can do, I could really use this functionality.

^tyrant^

May 18, 2009
This is the error that i get,

---------------------------
register error
Cannot register this dll since Cannot write to the registry key.
OK

pentace

Oct 25, 2006
I tried with the path as well and get an error saying unable to write to registry. Even running in admin.. then it states successful, after reboot still no go

senaia

May 14, 2009
This is the error that i get,

register error
Cannot register this dll since Cannot write to the registry key.
OK

i got this too, running xp pro, strangely tho i rebooted and it works.... odd

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    9/2/2011 UPDATE:
    V2.1 release, fix the explorer no response when first time adb start.
    If you find no response when installing, try reconnect your device
    Any feedback is welcome!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    8/24/2011 UPDATE:
    V2.0 can install the app directly from context menu, do not forget to connect your phone first.
    Please read the wiki page first
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sorry for let you waiting so long, here are some UPDATE:

Working well on win7 32bit & 64bit, please see the wiki page on http://code.google.com/p/apkshellext/
    Now it requires .net framework 4, there is a download link on wiki page.

Thanks to dds.feng, he reminded me that I have this project pending, and he brings an important patch.

Good luck everyone.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi, All
    I found it's difficult to find a correct apk file among names when I want to install one to my lovely G1, then I did a windows extension.

you need .NET framework 2.0 or above installed.
    download the dll here http://code.google.com/p/apkshellext/downloads/list

Works Only on XP 32bit and possibly on win7 32bit.
    Doesn't work on x64 platform for now. It's ok if you want a try:p

extract all stuff in the zip,
    excute reg.bat,
    after register successfully, you will got, probably you need a reboot:cool:

snapshot.JPG

Windows_7_snapshot.jpg

please feedback directly on the project page or mail: guo.jingang@gmail.com

It's created with VStudio 2008 express and c#, you can also find the source on project page.

I will keep updating this. Good luck!
    Auto-Installer

I updated my auto installer to the lastest version (2.3)

download here :

http://goo.gl/fwKWNQ
    Automatic DLL Installer

I Updated the .EXE automatic installer with new version to v2.0

make sure .Net Framework 4 is installed and unLocked

Automatic installer v0.2

X64 : Download Here

X86 : download here

all thanks to thread starter
    for me don't work win7 X64 sp1

Try copy and paste the following in place of the install script. This automatically gives the script (bat file) admin privileges without the necessity of right clicking and running as admin (to which many people are having dramas with).

Also try downloading an application called FileTypes this allows you to unassociate the apk extension from that which it is currently associated and possibly the very reason for blocking the view of the apk's icons in Windows explorer. What that means is that if you have the apk associated with say 7zip then the icon will no longer display in Windows explorer. You need to first unassociate apk and then the icons display perfectly.
    Further to this, you may do some registry hacks to make the apk display using the apkextension posted in this thread AS WELL AS your favorite archiving app. PM me the archive app WinRAR,WinZIP, 7Zip or what ever and I will make you a reg file that you can run to allow everything to work (note I will need to know what version of Windows and 32bit or 64bit as well).

Here is the script code:
    Note: I have only added the parts in bold
    Code:
     @ ECHO off
    [B]:checkPrivileges 
    NET FILE 1>NUL 2>NUL
    if '%errorlevel%' == '0' ( goto gotPrivileges ) else ( goto getPrivileges ) 
    :getPrivileges 
    if '%1'=='ELEV' (shift & goto gotPrivileges)  
    setlocal DisableDelayedExpansion
    set "batchPath=%~0"
    setlocal EnableDelayedExpansion
    ECHO Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%temp%\OEgetPrivileges.vbs" 
    ECHO UAC.ShellExecute "!batchPath!", "ELEV", "", "runas", 1 >> "%temp%\OEgetPrivileges.vbs" 
    "%temp%\OEgetPrivileges.vbs" 
    exit /B 
    :gotPrivileges 
    :START
    setlocal & pushd[/B]
    ECHO ################################################
    ECHO ##            APK Shell Extension             ##
    ECHO ##                                            ##
    ECHO ##     http://apkshellext.googlecode.com      ##
    ECHO ################################################

SYSTEMINFO | FIND /i "x64-based pc"

IF %ERRORLEVEL%==0 (
      ECHO.
      ECHO NOTE: You are using 64bit OS, For WIN7 User, you need "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR" to run install!
      ECHO.
      "%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\regasm.exe" /codebase "%~dp0\apkshellext.dll"
    ) ELSE (
      ECHO You are using 32bit OS
      "%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\regasm.exe" /codebase "%~dp0\apkshellext.dll"
    )

ECHO Done!
    ECHO.
    ECHO /-------------------------------------------------------------------\
    ECHO  apkshellext is an open-source project,
    ECHO  Please visit http://apkshellext.googlecode.com for more information
    ECHO \-------------------------------------------------------------------/

PAUSE
      [user=279333]@ECHO[/user] ON
    Hi guys i updated the Automatic installer

now it is Multi-X ( 23bit and 64bit )

download : here

Edit : guys how did you do the context menu ??