[Q] CM11 daily - suddenly locked out with encrypted /data

Search This thread

auslander2012

Jan 7, 2010
I have an HTC One M8, running the dailies of CM11. Yesterday sometime the phone locked itself, and now all I get is "Type a password to decrypt storage". I've done a factory reset with no luck, wiped and re-installed the ROM, etc, and I always just get this prompt when booting the phone.

I can get into recovery (PhilZ) but recovery is unable to mount or format /data, and I feel like I'm pretty boned here. Recovery takes a while to load, which is interesting. The phone is *NOT* stolen, this literally happened between when I got off a plane (phone was fine, I turned off airplane mode and put it back in my pocket) and when I got to my hotel. This was over the span of maybe 30 minutes... I have no clue how I could have done this, I certainly didn't explicitly decide to encrypt the phone.

Is there anything I can do? I am still able to connect adb, etc, when at the bootloader.

GohanBurner

May 8, 2011
Waukesha, WI
I have an HTC One M8, running the dailies of CM11. Yesterday sometime the phone locked itself, and now all I get is "Type a password to decrypt storage". I've done a factory reset with no luck, wiped and re-installed the ROM, etc, and I always just get this prompt when booting the phone.

I can get into recovery (PhilZ) but recovery is unable to mount or format /data, and I feel like I'm pretty boned here. Recovery takes a while to load, which is interesting. The phone is *NOT* stolen, this literally happened between when I got off a plane (phone was fine, I turned off airplane mode and put it back in my pocket) and when I got to my hotel. This was over the span of maybe 30 minutes... I have no clue how I could have done this, I certainly didn't explicitly decide to encrypt the phone.

Is there anything I can do? I am still able to connect adb, etc, when at the bootloader.

Search before posting, this has happened to many people. You can either flash the RUU for your device or you can try this in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2773203

auslander2012

Jan 7, 2010
Search before posting, this has happened to many people. You can either flash the RUU for your device or you can try this in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2773203

Thanks -- I have been searching around. That device (e2fsck -f -y /dev/block/mmcblk0p47) is /cache actually, not /data.

Code:
~ # e2fsck -f -y /dev/block/mmcblk0p47
e2fsck 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010)
e2fsck: Device or resource busy while trying to open /dev/block/mmcblk0p47
Filesystem mounted or opened exclusively by another program?
~ #
~ # df
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs                   935720       128    935592   0% /dev
tmpfs                   935720        20    935700   0% /tmp
tmpfs                   935720         0    935720   0% /storage
tmpfs                   935720         0    935720   0% /mnt/secure
tmpfs                   935720         0    935720   0% /mnt/fuse
/dev/block/mmcblk0p47
                       1030828     17096   1013732   2% /cache

auslander2012

Jan 7, 2010
Works! Notably, 47 is cache, 48 is user data.

This has solved it for me:

Code:
e2fsck -f -y /dev/block/mmcblk0p48

joe7966

Feb 28, 2011
I have this same problem and cannot reboot into recovery or fastboot. It always just goes to the screen that says "type password to decrypt storage"

Can someone please help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Free mobile app

sarois3

Jan 30, 2005
I have this same problem and cannot reboot into recovery or fastboot. It always just goes to the screen that says "type password to decrypt storage"

Can someone please help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Free mobile app

I have exact same problem and appreciate if someone can help here