(car audio) Parrot ASTEROID Smart

Search This thread

coreyzw

Feb 28, 2011
Gotta say I am really glad the new update included the BT Pairing updates and the instant tuner on feature.
Not too happy about the removal of the safety precautions disable but since I grounded the parking brake wire, it doesnt affect me anymore.

Bikegeek

Feb 5, 2007
Hmmm.... I happened to use the SWC before "full" boot and after "full" boot they work. If I let it boot without using them at all they don't work without a reset.

Joe333x

Oct 6, 2009
I have 2011 WRX with resistive controls. I just thought about this and i might have an idea of what it is. It might work fine during the boot but it might get disable when I start the car during that quick reboot. I will check later and report.

So are the swc not working with the new update? I have a forster and am going to be installing soon.

Solviken

Jan 3, 2013
hmm after the upgrade i lost the possibility to choose norwegian language.. Even on the keyboard.. Wtf.. Clicked on the Norwegian flag and all..

deanesn

Mar 24, 2010
Chicago
So are the swc not working with the new update? I have a forster and am going to be installing soon.

They work but in my case if i let the radio boot before i start the car during the start it restarts the radio and unika is disabled in the settings so i have to go enable it which is annoying.
The way i overcame the issue is to start the car before parrot gets to the bout animation.

iwcarbon

Jan 31, 2012
Here a pic of the volume knob, I ordered an actual knob for it as well. uploadfromtaptalk1370730570549.jpg

Joe333x

Oct 6, 2009
They work but in my case if i let the radio boot before i start the car during the start it restarts the radio and unika is disabled in the settings so i have to go enable it which is annoying.
The way i overcame the issue is to start the car before parrot gets to the bout animation.

And that didnt happen before the update? Also did the update allow the unika to reconize all the buttons or do the voice command and answer call button still do the same thing?

Solviken

Jan 3, 2013
Anyone here using spotify? Can they confirm that the asteroid wont sync local files from computer even if they are on the same wifi? (dont show up in devices on spotify client either)

wacko37

Jun 19, 2011
Cairns
voice command

each and every time i open voice command, neither the music or contact symbols are highlighted, and almost immediately I get an error

"no voice recognition source is available"

anybody any ideas?

AKClay

May 30, 2013
Latest update

So after taking on the latest updated I lost root which happened the last time and I was able to easily get it back which again this time I could but my gapps stopped working. Seems like it removes GoogleServicesFramework.apk

Last time I just had to reinstall this one apk and all worked again, but this time this apk and any other I side load always comes up saying that there was an error parsing the package.

This sucks mostly because I had Next Launcher installed which is a paid app and authenticates through Google before it will work properly.

And since all apks I try to side load get the parse error I can't install any other launcher :crying:

Anyone else have this issue?

devoidx

Mar 15, 2013
each and every time i open voice command, neither the music or contact symbols are highlighted, and almost immediately I get an error

anybody any ideas?

well your phone needs to be connected and synced with your asteroid for contacts to be highlighted....also make sure the mic is properly connected

deanesn

Mar 24, 2010
Chicago
I noticed a big issue with the wifi connection while Bluetooth is on. WiFi is very inconsistent. I tired to download 300 mb maps for copilot and i saw how it would download 4-5 mbs and it would hang for 5 min. I noticed the same thing when download apps. Add soon add i turned off bt i was downloading very consistently. Just heads up if you run into this issue.

fab-uleux.com

Jun 7, 2013
I have 2011 WRX with resistive controls. I just thought about this and i might have an idea of what it is. It might work fine during the boot but it might get disable when I start the car during that quick reboot. I will check later and report.

I saw on the parrot forum that they found an issue at startup with some Unika (corresponding to yours). They said that it will be fix in next release.:fingers-crossed:

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

I noticed a big issue with the wifi connection while Bluetooth is on. WiFi is very inconsistent. I tired to download 300 mb maps for copilot and i saw how it would download 4-5 mbs and it would hang for 5 min. I noticed the same thing when download apps. Add soon add i turned off bt i was downloading very consistently. Just heads up if you run into this issue.

Wifi and BT are on the same bandwith (2,4GHz). It's normal that both are not really working well together :(

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

anybody any ideas?

Last time, I got this issue and a factory reset fixed this issue (boring to reinstall everything...)

deanesn

Mar 24, 2010
Chicago
I saw on the parrot forum that they found an issue at startup with some Unika (corresponding to yours). They said that it will be fix in next release.:fingers-crossed:

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Wifi and BT are on the same bandwith (2,4GHz). It's normal that both are not really working well together :(

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

Last time, I got this issue and a factory reset fixed this issue (boring to reinstall everything...)

I thought might be the power draw since wifi and are on the same chip but I'm just glad i figured it out cuz it was annoying.

iwcarbon

Jan 31, 2012
Finally installed the update i had the M4 version of the update file, all i had to do was re-root and reinstall skype. What i did to make an easy backup was i installed airdroid in my car and i went to my pc and just downloaded all the files.

deanesn

Mar 24, 2010
Chicago
And that didnt happen before the update? Also did the update allow the unika to reconize all the buttons or do the voice command and answer call button still do the same thing?

No, I was on stock 2.0. I never upgraded to 2.0.1 because it created more issues than fixed them. Unika recognizes all buttons with no problem but Asteroid only allows for 7 button function where you voice command and call button is one and the same and Subaru uses 8 buttons. I have assigned my voice command button to be the call answer and voice command and the end call is the end call. The actual answer call button in my wrx just lowers the volume right now which is ok i got 7 out of 8 buttons actually fully functional as they should be. You can find my huge post on NASIOC how i got Unika to work.
Oh to add one more thing I never had issues with Unika disconnecting when I was on 2.0. Parrot created the issue with 2.0.1 and now it transferred to 2.1.1. At this point as much as annoying as it is to reconnect Unika I'd rather have my music being remembered where I left off.

Last edited:

RudeDog99

Aug 30, 2009
I have a somewhat different question. Perhaps you guys can enlighten me (android n00b). The Parrot Smart Astroid is also used by Volvo. They call it the Sensus Connected Touch which is really a branded Parrot Smart Asteroid. They use a custom UI with different launcher. The problem is that Volvo had modified the software so that the normal menu options used to install apps and root the unit are not there, but the android version is still 2.3.7. Also the mini USB is not visible so you cannot connect a laptop.

Is there any way to root the unit from within the browser or are there any secret menus? It's a long shot, but perhaps some one has an answer.

Nevertheless I'll keep an eye on this thread, I'm very interested in what's happening and what's possible with the Parrot units.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm not sure where I found this info, but I don't believe it was here, so I thought I'd leave a little write up about enabling Google Voice Search. First I found and downloaded the old voice search apk. You will need to search for voice search 2.1.4 apk..should be a legitimate free download. However, as I'm sure many have tried and seen, it simply force closes when installed. So, as mentioned, I found a post somewhere that pointed to the missing lib...oh so obviously named libvoicesearch.so. It can be found in the gingerbread gapps zip. Again, you can just search for that...I found it on goo.im/gapps. Now on a basic level, we're done, you can have your voice control icon and a voice input button will be added to maps and the browser.

voice_search.jpg

maps.jpg

browser.jpg

So, we're just missing one more thing...voice typing from the keyboard into any app. Unfortunately whatever it is that triggers keyboards to display a voice input key is still missing. So, simply installing Gingerbread Keyboard isn't enough to enable the functionality. I tried out quite a few keyboards and obviously they are all keying off the same thing...perhaps it's a bit to flip in some config file...regardless it's not there currently. I did find two keyboards(there are possibly more) that will present the key. One is SwiftKey, the other Kii. Neither are free, Kii only clears it's fancy prediction dictionary when not registered, so I went with it...plus it has a better voice input presentation. Only final caveat is that neither of these will show the voice key as a primary key...you have to hold another key and it will popup as the first option...so it's not too bad. Still looking for a perfect solution, but this functions in the meantime.

kii.jpg

I guess I'll go ahead and post up a few other things from my setup that folks might find useful since I'm here.

1. Tablet Talk - Direct Text message forwarding from your phone. There are a few programs like this, but this one uses a direct link (BT or Wifi) from your phone and doesn't have to go out to some other server to store/fetch messages. Interface it okay, designed for tablets, so a bit cramped on the small screen. But seems to function pretty well. I'm connected via bluetooth and it doesn't interfere with voice call functionality at all. You do have to run a service on your phone also, but so far I haven't noticed any negative impact. Oh yeah, needs an Android phone...but we're on XDA right...so that shouldn't be a problem for most.

tablet_talk.jpg

2.Android Weather Widget - I have discovered, along with others, that the majority of weather widgets don't play nicely with the Asteroid. Since it's gingerbread, the widgets basically think it's a phone and even when connected to some wifi network, when it can't get initial location triangulation via a cellular data network...it will never get a location lock. Elsewhere someone found a non-free widget that functioned correctly, but I'm cheap... I finally found the Android Weather Widget after trying quite a few. It's pulls location via the gps and then grabs the needed data from wifi. Works and looks great. Using it with ADW in the screenshot of my current setup. As an aside, so far ADW is working nicely.

adw_weather.jpg

3. PerApp - Most of the time I like to use Google Navigation for my mapping needs. I quickly found there was no way to adjust the volume on the Asteroid. It is not tied to master or notification...well it does adjust with master(since, you know, it's the master volume), but it's at a much lower level than the music so can't play nicely. Found PerApp, which allows me to go in and set up to a +15db increase for the app. Works like a charm. Also has rotation functionality(again per app) that functions great. Only caveat can be found in one of my previous posts. Make sure to turn off it's screen timeout functionality. You can't set it to 0(which in this case is no timeout) and it will default to 1 minute. You will then get an annoying clock popup every minute and go crazy trying to find out why. So after installing you might needs something like SOFFT to reset the default timeout.

4. AsteroidTweaker - Mentioned just above, I basically use this to have a reboot functionality without having to have a paperclip handy along with getting my unit to resume from my USB drive most of the time. Also has various other tweak and fixes. Worth a look. Steering wheel control people, it claims to have some fixes for that also...but I haven't looked into it much as I do not. One negative I have noticed is that when switching between sources, it get's a little confused and jumps back a forth for a second...I don't switch sources that often, so minor annoyance for me.

5. Droid VNC Server, Dropbear SSH Server(not my first choice and now discontinued, but works). Using VNC to capture screens, it's also nice to play around from the comfort of my house. A bit slow to refresh and makes some actions pretty difficult, but overall works well. Always nice to be able to SSH in and take a look around also.

6. AdAway - Host file ad blocker.

7. Mongoose web server - This is actually for running on a windows PC. Just throwing it in because it's handy. Basically just throw the executable in a directory of file you want to access remotely and start it up. Then you can browse to your pc from the Asteroid Smart web browser and download the stuff you are wanting to get on your device. Sure you could also start up the SSH Server and scp, or install and sftp server, but this is just handy sometime.

Anyway, hope this might help some folks out. I had nice helpful links in place for the apps, but XDA apparently did not care for that within my great wall of text. Not quite sure why it refused to let me post with the links... Anyway, let me know if you have any questions on things I've mentioned...
    Thank you, sounds great. Please keep us updated! :good:

So, i've managed to build a kernel, compile CWM and i'm in the process of compiling CM10.1

luckily my Big bro works for HP and has loaned me a VM on one of his HPCloud Farms.

my current issue is reverting to a working unit. if i replace the current recovery with CWM, i cant just put a stock rom back because the stock rom uses a PLF file. i was hoping that the PLF was just a renamed ZIP, but i dont think it is.

so, as you can understand i'm a bit wary of just flashing the recovery.img using ADB if i cant but it all back.. i've taken a copy of the mtd0 and mtd 1 devices but they're pretty useless if i cant get the thing to boot and its bricked..

i'll do some research and maybe even get in touch with parrot themselves to see what my options are..
    Hey everyone,

After a few failed attempts at getting the Play Store working on my Asteroid Smart I eventually got it to work, to be honest it wasn't complicated just long winded.

I have gone through the other write up's and some didn't work (at least for me anyway) so I thought I'd share 'my' installation process, if it helps 1 person then it was worth the effort :good:

1. Install Framaroot from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2130276 I used 1.4.1

I followed this video to install the apps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD4LSdZ3OBs

This is the installation procedure I followed for Framaroot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTFVkjtxaWA

After installing Framaroot, take the little panel off the left hand side and reboot!

2. Download Root Browser Lite from here and Install.

3. Download GoogleServicesFramework.apk here & Vending.apk here and copy both files onto your SD card.

4, Install GoogleServicesFramework.apk

I then rebooted the Asteroid Smart.

5. Using Root Browser Lite, locate Vending.apk on your SD Card and copy the file to /system/app on the root of the Asteroid.

6. Long press the Vending.apk file and go to 'Permissions' I set Users/Group/Others to Read & Write access.

Again I rebooted the Asteroid.

7. Create a shortcut to Vending and login to your google account, at this point I did get an error but I just continued and logged in.

That was it :D It works perfectly!

I also installed used Market Helper from here to trick the Google Play Store into thinking my Asteroid was my Samsung Galaxy S3. The only issue I found doing this was that the setup screen didn't fit the Smart too well so I used 'Ultimate Rotation Control' downloaded from the play store to set the screen into Portrait mode while I used Market Helper.

I now have CoPilot live installed :good:

I know it's a bit long but it worked for me, hopefully it will be of use to others :cool:
    We now have root :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    So, today i created an Amazon AWS EC2 instance with the sole intention of porting Jellybean to the Asteroid Smart.

i've never port a ROM before and this will be a very steep learning Curve, but i'm hoping that due to the lack of built in Radio Modems and other boards that it should be easier that other devices. Famous last words eh?

i'll prob make a separate Thread for my progress but if anyone has any experience to share, please feel free.