[ROOT KERNEL FOR TowelRoot] Tab Pro 8.4, 10.1

Search This thread

RavenY2K3

Nov 13, 2006
As you may be aware, GeoHotz has created an app to root an android device using a recently discovered exploit.
I tried it on my LTE Tab Pro 8.4 which had the latest firmware for my region "BTU" which is NB7,

It wouldn't work, but another XDA member @Inuit, said it worked for him with the DBT NE5 firmware he has on his device.

SO! I downloaded the DBT NE5 file, extracted the Kernel and repackaged it and flashed the Kernel on it's own. Then tried the root method.
I have now successfully rooted the device and kept Knox at a cool 0x0.

I chose to do things this way, as I wanted to keep my regions firmware and not that of another county.
So I still have my original firmware, but I am now using the newer Kernel, everything seems to be working fine but considering I only did this 15 minutes ago, I haven't had enough time to test. But connectivity is fine, battery levels fine etc...

UPDATE: Everything is fine for me, loaded Xposed modules, no adverse affects at all

I have attached the repackaged Kernel, all you need to do, is go into download mode and flash the file under the "AP" Tab in Odin 3.09.

Then install the TowelRoot app, which you can get from the links in the thread below:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783157

Install the latest, SuperSU (again links in the above thread).

You should be rooted and Knox kept at a cool 0x0.

I have tested the this on my Device the T325 and another user tested the Kernel for the Wi-Fi version T320 and are working fine But!
You try at your own risk!
Download links below

attachment.php

attachment.php

TR Rootable Kernel for LTE 8.4 SM-T325
Original NG1 Kernel for LTE 8.4 SM-T325

TR Rootable Kernel for Wi-Fi Only 8.4 SM-T320
Original NG1 Kernel for Wifi Only 8.4 SM-T320

TR Rootable Kernel for SM-T525 10.1 LTE SM-T525

Attachments

• T325_Kernel.tar
    9.7 MB · Views: 2,375
  • 20140618_11272.jpg
    20140618_11272.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 102,001
  • Screenshot_2014-06-18-11-08-08.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-18-11-08-08.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 101,828
Last edited:

hkfriends

Aug 24, 2007
As you may be aware, GeoHotz has created an app to root an android device using a recently discovered exploit.
I tried it on my LTE Tab Pro 8.4 which had the latest firmware for my region "BTU" which is NB7,

It wouldn't work, but another XDA member @Inuit, said it worked for him with the DBT NE5 firmware he has on his device.

SO! I downloaded the DBT NE5 file, extracted the Kernel and repackaged it and flashed the Kernel on it's own. Then tried the root method.

I chose to do things this way, as I wanted to keep my regions firmware and not that of another county.
So I still have my original firmware, but I am now using the newer Kernel, everything seems to be working fine but considering I only did this 15 minutes ago, I haven't had enough time to test. But connectivity is fine, battery levels fine etc...

I have attached the repackaged Kernel, all you need to do, is go into download mode and flash the file under the "AP" Tab in Odin 3.09.

Then install the TowelRoot app, which you can get from the links in the thread below:

Remember: My device and these files are for the SM-T325. You try at your own risk!

attachment.php

attachment.php

good trick

Reactions: RavenY2K3

spectro_axis

Dec 13, 2008
Hi RavenY2K3,

Thanks for your guide. May I know if Knox will be triggered if I install your attached Kernel via Odin?

RavenY2K3

Nov 13, 2006
@spectro_axis
As you can see in the screenshot, mine has not tripped, neither has anyone else's that I'm aware of on ANY Knox enabled device. What tab have you got?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

spectro_axis

Dec 13, 2008
@spectro_axis
As you can see in the screenshot, mine has not tripped, neither has anyone else's that I'm aware of on ANY Knox enabled device. What tab have you got?

Hi RavenY2K3,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I currently own a Tab pro 8.4 LTE. I am actually thinking of updating my Tab pro with the latest T325 Firmware from Germany via odin. I am currently on the firmware from Singapore ,2014 March, 4.4.2, T325XXU1ANBB. Do you know whether will knox be tripped if i flash the Germany firmware over the current Singapore firmware? Thanks for your assistance.

RavenY2K3

Nov 13, 2006
Hi RavenY2K3,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I currently own a Tab pro 8.4 LTE. I am actually thinking of updating my Tab pro with the latest T325 Firmware from Germany via odin. I am currently on the firmware from Singapore ,2014 March, 4.4.2, T325XXU1ANBB. Do you know whether will knox be tripped if i flash the Germany firmware over the current Singapore firmware? Thanks for your assistance.
My Tab came from China going by the firmware that came with mine out of the box and I replaced it with the UK BTU firmware no problems, you have to wipe the device etc for the CSC to apply though.

Pretty certain you can get difficulties if the new ROM is older than the one installed, if it's number is greater than or equal to the currently installed firmware you should be fine.

All the above is for official firmware though, not custom creations.

macioh

Dec 28, 2010
one question left: what about an official OTA after flashing this modified kernel? will it work as it should?

Wysłane z mojego SM-T320 przy użyciu Tapatalka

RavenY2K3

Nov 13, 2006
one question left: what about an official OTA after flashing this modified kernel? will it work as it should?

Wysłane z mojego SM-T320 przy użyciu Tapatalka
It's not modified, it's a stock kernel from an exploitable firmware, for those who don't have an exploitable firmware for their respective region. As I mentioned, the latest version available for UK, is a step behind the German version, the UK version will be the same as the German one "at some point" in the future, but why wait when it can be done now.

Sent from my SM-T325 using Tapatalk

Reactions: macioh
Hey can OP or anyone else upload the SM-T320 kernel to another site that doesn't require registration to download?

Thanks!

Edit: I guess Mega requires registration if you are trying to DL via a mobile device but you don't have to in order to DL via a PC.

Uploading for the benefit of others who are trying to DL via their tablets.

Attachments

• T320_Kernel.tar
    9.7 MB · Views: 460
Last edited:

jason_jiang

Oct 17, 2011
Beijing
I already have 0x1. It is to return KNOX 0x0? It goes?

no.
some discussions long ago suggest knox may used a technology called eFUSE, originally invented by IBM.
once knox detects a tampered bootloader, it will "blow" a micro-fuse in chip. then we see the warranty bit set to 1.
this is a physical-level change, so no way can revert it.

Zakanam

Sep 7, 2012
My Tab came from China going by the firmware that came with mine out of the box and I replaced it with the UK BTU firmware no problems, you have to wipe the device etc for the CSC to apply though.

Pretty certain you can get difficulties if the new ROM is older than the one installed, if it's number is greater than or equal to the currently installed firmware you should be fine.

All the above is for official firmware though, not custom creations.

Hi, sorry noob question.

I have SM T325 with Hong Kong firmware originally. If I want to flash another firmware from a different country via Odin, will it trip the Knox? You said yours was Chinese firmware and you flashed a British one and it didn't trip the Knox, but I just wanted to confirm it. Also, after I flash the different firmware and I flash the root kernel, it won't trip Knox right? Sorry for repeating your words, just wanted to make sure, thanks :)

jason_jiang

Oct 17, 2011
Beijing
Hi, sorry noob question.

I have SM T325 with Hong Kong firmware originally. If I want to flash another firmware from a different country via Odin, will it trip the Knox? You said yours was Chinese firmware and you flashed a British one and it didn't trip the Knox, but I just wanted to confirm it. Also, after I flash the different firmware and I flash the root kernel, it won't trip Knox right? Sorry for repeating your words, just wanted to make sure, thanks :)

flashing official firmware from different region won't trigger knox, only rooting and installing custom recovery will.

xInsurgentx

Apr 3, 2011
SMT520 was kernel jan14 flashed his kernel apr3
used towelrootv2 and don't have root access

on build anae fwiw

it also seems to know something is up because now i get a notification that tells me there was suspicious activity on my tablet and to reboot to make changes. rebooted and still get the notification so i assume it's just trying to revert. at this point i dont feel the need to flash stock recovery i'm sure a reliable, working root method will be there sooner than later.

on further reading it just appears that any exynos processor tablet wont be able to take advantage of towelroot until geo decides to open support. makes sense the 8.4 (wifi/lte) versions as well as all the qualcomm LTE versions of the tab pro/note lines are working.

Last edited:

Nutsonfire

Jun 13, 2010
Nyon
flashing official firmware from different region won't trigger knox, only rooting and installing custom recovery will.

Not true it can trigger Knox. I found out the hard way on my European 8.4 flashing a US ROM. It didn't flash properly (ext4) error and then I had to restore with kies.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Can confirm it works on Tab Pro 8.4. I didn't have to mess about with flashing different Kernel for some reason. Below is the firmware that was on my device.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 WiFi Only (SM-T320)
Region: UK
Version: T320XXU1BNE3
Build Date: 2014/5/27

After installing towelroot V2 I just pressed the button on the app and let it do it's magic and then installed SuperSU/Pro. And that was it. All rooted and it didn't trip the Knox flag. Now titanium backup and similar root like apps work. Brilliant. Well pleased

Last edited:
Reactions: avs333

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

UPDATE: Everything is fine for me, loaded Xposed modules, no adverse affects at all

I have tested the this on my Device the T325 and another user tested the Kernel for the Wi-Fi version T320 and are working fine But!
    You try at your own risk!
    Download links below

attachment.php

attachment.php

TR Rootable Kernel for LTE 8.4 SM-T325
    Original NG1 Kernel for LTE 8.4 SM-T325

TR Rootable Kernel for Wi-Fi Only 8.4 SM-T320
    Original NG1 Kernel for Wifi Only 8.4 SM-T320

TR Rootable Kernel for SM-T525 10.1 LTE SM-T525

Since I had to read the 33 pages to root my Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 without tripping Knox, here's what I did to root it:

1.- Checked my current firmware: T320UEU1AOC1 with Kernel Version 3.4.0-4441590.
    2.- Downloaded Odin, the Samsung USB Drivers.
    3.- Powered off tablet, then pressed Home + Volume Down + Power, then Volume Up, and plugged in the USB cable after that.
    4.- Loaded Odin, clicked on AP, loaded the TR Rootable Kernel from first post.
    5.- Everything went smoothly, checked the tablet: same firmware and same Kernel version 3.4.0 but way older (from April 2014).
    6.- Went to towelroot.com, downloaded APK, executed it, everything ok, rebooted tablet and it's rooted. Installed SuperSU, disabled Knox (and I have no issues whatsoever).
    7.- Repeated steps 3 and 4 but using stormygal's AOC1 Kernel pack found in this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=59969126&postcount=302
    8.- Rebooted, still rooted with current firmware and current kernel version.

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread. I read every post and I'm pretty sure every single one was useful.
    The stock kernel in the op is for a g1. I am on K1.

Check my thread. I have the pieces, including kernel. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2954549
    I am in the same boat. Haven't yet rooted my device with the same build. Your summary post is atleast helpful to me. If you could document your steps briefly, that would very helpful. Btw, does this method trips KNOX? Thanks

Glad you found it useful!

Actually, if I had to do it over again, I would probably do it the way I am going to describe below, as I am stuck on the G1 build for now, and upgrading to the K1 build rooted will require backing up and redoing many things. The K1 build supposedly has some added benefits (? faster wifi, better auto-dimming). I've only had it a few days and don't have any problems with G1 so I'll stick with it for now. Discussion on the newer K1 is here http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-pro-12-10-8/general/nk1-version-t2952355

1. Let the OTA update upgrade you from G1 to K1.
    2. Power down the tablet. Then boot your tablet into download mode (power on while holding volume down). Using ODIN 3.09 or higher, take the TR Rootable Kernel from the first post here, and place it in the AP slot. Earlier versions will call that slot PDA. I think it will still work regardless of Odin version.
    3. Boot back into Android. Check that the kernel is 3.4.0-1263708 with an April 2014 build.
    4. Then run towelroot. It should say it was successful. Install supersu to manage root privileges. It will ask if you want to disable Knox. Some/many people have had issues with reboots if they elect to do this, so I've selected NEVER.
    5. Go back into download mode, and restore the K1 kernel. It should be available http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-pro-12-10-8/general/t320xar1ank1-extracted-stock-firmware-t2954549

The whole point of using towelroot is that it will not trip the Knox e-fuse. You're limited to just having root on the stock Touchwiz rom though.

Knox if fairly annoying and will continue to bug you for doing advanced root-related things. I installed xposed and Wanam, and one of the options in Wanam is to turn off the Knox annoyances.
    SM-T320 With T320XXU1ANAI from Peru

I want to confirm that using the kernel posted in this thread I was able to root the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 using [TR] with the stock firmware T320XXU1ANAI

Of course Knox flag was not tripped.

Thanks!