[TUT] What Is Nandroid And How To Use It [Complete Guide] [VeNuM]

Search This thread

VECTUS

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Mar 26, 2010
Kansas City, Mo.
xdaforums.com
If you are new to Android, you probably have seen the term Nandroid used. If you are rooting your phone for the first time, or even an old crusty flashaholic, a Nandroid backup could be the difference between saving your phone or have having a $500 paper weight.

What IS a Nandroid? It is a full backup of the partitions on your device’s NAND flash (NAND actually stands for NOT AND,which in simple terms means an electronic gate). Basically a backup of your phones hard drive if you will... The Nandroid backup is a snapshot of your device (it means everything on your phone – your apps, data, your current ROM and even the kernel is backed up) at the time you do the back up. If you restore the back up, it changes your phone BACK to that state. You will need clockworkmod (CWM). So make sure prior to this you have CWM on your device.

Your SD Card data is not backed up in the process. Although the Nandroid backup itself is created on your SD card. Make sure you have enough space on your SD card to make a COMPLETE copy of your phone. It is highly recommended that once you have done a backup, you manually copy it to your computer in case your sd card is wiped or corrupted..

Pre-requisites:
1. Rooted Device:
You need a rooted android device.

2. Custom Recovery
While the OS is running you cannot do a backup. The boot loader in the recovery enables you to take a backup of the OS while it’s not running.

ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery is the example used in this tutorial.

Steps to Make a Nandroid Backup via CWM:
Backup and Restore via CWM:
1.Boot into Recovery.

2. Select ‘Backup and Restore’ from the recovery screen.

Once you are in recovery, scroll down to the option ‘Backup and Recovery’ and select it. You can scroll up/down through the menu using the volume buttons and select options using the power button.

3. Start the backup.

Once you are on the Nandroid screen, select ‘Backup’ to start the backup process. You have the option to restore backup on the same screen.

The backup process may take a while. Be PATIENT.

4. Transfer the backup to your computer (optional but recommended).

Once you reboot, you can see the backup in the ‘clockworkmod/backup/timestamp’ (or similar file) directory on your SD card.

Move, copy, or paste this folder on your PC safely.

It’s THAT simple…

Restore from a Nandroid Backup via CWM:
1. Boot your device into CWM and navigate to the Nandroid screen.

2. Choose ‘Restore’ and begin the process.

If you select ‘Advanced Restore’option, you may select which part of the backup to restore – i. e. the boot,system, data or cache. Or choose the whole backup.

3. Reboot your device. Your system is now restored and is exactly the same as the time when the backup was taken.

Final Thoughts:

If you are planning on rooting your phone or even a hard core flashaholic it is essential you use this painless and easy tool to save you when you need it. As noted above you can even revert back to just the kernel, data or whatever that could become corrupt or just plain messed up in the future. I hope this helps you and happy flashing!! - VeNuM

Last edited:

wormsign

Jun 15, 2012
VeNuM,

This is an awesome Tutorial - thanks for taking the time to write it. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: VECTUS

nbasse

Jun 20, 2012
Stockholm
Hi, thanks for a nice simple guide.

After flashing speedmod k3-7 on Criskelo v8 I have lost root.
I would like to restore to before I flashed speedmod to regain root.

Is it possible to restore a nandroid if I don't have full root?
What part should I restore to regain root?

Or do you know a Better way to regain root?

I'm still a noob, so I really appreciate all info I get. Don't want to mess this up. :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

ORStoner

Jan 22, 2012
Eastbourne
So what if I have expensive taste on paper weights? You got a problem?

Great tutorial, I know how to use it already but this should defiantely encourage more people to use nandroid making you the saviour of a lot of money.

:thumbup:

itbmd

Nov 7, 2008
New York
As always, great tutorial. I've used it to make a backup, but thankfully never had to use it to restore. This does lead me to 2 follow up questions/scenarios:

1. The backup is provided you can get into CWM. What if the phone can't get into CWM and is "hard bricked"? Then I assume in this case you can't do anything, correct? What if you have the backup file on your PC as you suggested. Could you somehow through ODIN restore the backup file without access to CWM (provided the phone is recognized in ODIN)? Or would you have to use ODIN to restore, get it up an running, then install CWM, then use your backup to revert back? I guess it all comes down to if it's recognized or not in ODIN, if it is, then you're not really hard bricked; but if it isn't, your SOL?

2. If the phone can boot up, and let's say is stuck in a boot loop where it doesn't get into the rom, but can get into CWM, but the backup is corrupted. How would you transfer from your PC the backup without being able to "mount" the SD card to transfer it. Obviously with an external SD it's no problem, but what if you only use the internal?

Thankfully, I've never experienced any of the issues above, I'm just curious on the answers. Thanks guys.

The-Droidster

May 27, 2012
XDA 24 x 7
Great tut. Just one question... Does the nand backup also create a backup of the internal sdcard ie /sdcard :)

Sent from my Galaxy R GT-I9103 using xda premium

MoHoGalore

May 24, 2012
Farmington
Great tut. Just one question... Does the nand backup also create a backup of the internal sdcard ie /sdcard :)

Wouldn't think that the backup calls to have the storage included. Not that I've seen anyway. That could lead to insufficient space for the backup itself. kernal, modem and ROM are what I believe to be in the backup.
Odd, cause I always pull everything out of storage and pictures to my laptop before doing a nand or anything. Just in case..

Sent from my SPH-D710

banabry

Oct 25, 2012
Awesome, thank you for the great explanation. What does it mean when people create a stock nandroid? Are they reverting back to a stock ROM for the backup?

moparfreak426

R.I.P.
Mar 22, 2012
East/Middle TN
Using agats kernal recovery it saves backups as .tar I'd there a way to fix? I've never used Odin so .tar are useless to me. I need the .zips

Force fed a failcake via Swype

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you are new to Android, you probably have seen the term Nandroid used. If you are rooting your phone for the first time, or even an old crusty flashaholic, a Nandroid backup could be the difference between saving your phone or have having a $500 paper weight.

What IS a Nandroid? It is a full backup of the partitions on your device’s NAND flash (NAND actually stands for NOT AND,which in simple terms means an electronic gate). Basically a backup of your phones hard drive if you will... The Nandroid backup is a snapshot of your device (it means everything on your phone – your apps, data, your current ROM and even the kernel is backed up) at the time you do the back up. If you restore the back up, it changes your phone BACK to that state. You will need clockworkmod (CWM). So make sure prior to this you have CWM on your device.

Your SD Card data is not backed up in the process. Although the Nandroid backup itself is created on your SD card. Make sure you have enough space on your SD card to make a COMPLETE copy of your phone. It is highly recommended that once you have done a backup, you manually copy it to your computer in case your sd card is wiped or corrupted..

Pre-requisites:
    1. Rooted Device:
    You need a rooted android device.

2. Custom Recovery
    While the OS is running you cannot do a backup. The boot loader in the recovery enables you to take a backup of the OS while it’s not running.

ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery is the example used in this tutorial.

Steps to Make a Nandroid Backup via CWM:
    Backup and Restore via CWM:
    1.Boot into Recovery.

2. Select ‘Backup and Restore’ from the recovery screen.

Once you are in recovery, scroll down to the option ‘Backup and Recovery’ and select it. You can scroll up/down through the menu using the volume buttons and select options using the power button.

3. Start the backup.

Once you are on the Nandroid screen, select ‘Backup’ to start the backup process. You have the option to restore backup on the same screen.

The backup process may take a while. Be PATIENT.

4. Transfer the backup to your computer (optional but recommended).

Once you reboot, you can see the backup in the ‘clockworkmod/backup/timestamp’ (or similar file) directory on your SD card.

Move, copy, or paste this folder on your PC safely.

It’s THAT simple…

Restore from a Nandroid Backup via CWM:
    1. Boot your device into CWM and navigate to the Nandroid screen.

2. Choose ‘Restore’ and begin the process.

If you select ‘Advanced Restore’option, you may select which part of the backup to restore – i. e. the boot,system, data or cache. Or choose the whole backup.

3. Reboot your device. Your system is now restored and is exactly the same as the time when the backup was taken.

Final Thoughts:

If you are planning on rooting your phone or even a hard core flashaholic it is essential you use this painless and easy tool to save you when you need it. As noted above you can even revert back to just the kernel, data or whatever that could become corrupt or just plain messed up in the future. I hope this helps you and happy flashing!! - VeNuM
    Once again another well written tutorial VeNuM. Going to add this to my list of articles to point people to. Just hope the ones who really need it will actually look here first. Thanks again. :)
    The manual or carrier won't help me with custom recoveries like Cwm.... Thanks anyway, I'll keep looking...
    I'll also look into the usb mount feature...

Sent from my LT22i using Tapatalk 4 Beta

This is what you will need if you soft brick and can't get your files. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1274337 If you are wondering how to access files from a corrupt internal memory most people back up those files to their PC beforehand. Simple drag and drop will suffice.

Wouldn't think that the backup calls to have the storage included. Not that I've seen anyway. That could lead to insufficient space for the backup itself. kernal, modem and ROM are what I believe to be in the backup.
    Odd, cause I always pull everything out of storage and pictures to my laptop before doing a nand or anything. Just in case..

Sent from my SPH-D710
    Nice guide VeNuM, will definetly help with the noobs :D