[HDplus - Mostly OBSOLETE] Hybrid SD for CM10/10.1 on the HDplus

Search This thread

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
UPDATE 5/28/13 - There will be no further development on this thread. Verygreen has changed his SD scheme and they no longer work on this system and Bokbokan has started to develop his own HD+ Hybrid which is better than mine. The Cyanoboot menu works on his and the ROMs come ready for his Hybrid. See his thread here. Some of the other zips on this thread will still work with bokbokan's new HD+ Hybrid.

You can still use this Hybrid on verygreen's Legacy SD ROMs up to 5/29/13 (Legacy only)

To see the original Hybrid setup click on the Show Content button.

I have adapted bokbokan's HD Hybrid SD scheme to the HDplus. Hybrid means it has part of the operating system files on the SD and part of them on internal memory. The older Original way of installing to SD put all of the operating system files on the SD. With the Hybrid scheme you can dual boot between CM (Cyanogenmod) on SD and Stock on internal memory. It can boot to stock without stock hanging at 99% like it did with the older Original SD scheme. The CM ROM is put on a specially formatted SD and uses internal memory for storing installed apps and settings. The ROM runs faster and you can run it on some SDs that would not run well under the old scheme. Like the older SD installation, your stock ROM setup is not changed. The CM setup is entirely separate from the stock setup. It uses the same ROMs that are available for the Original SD installation. They are just modified slightly to make them run on the Hybrid. If you decide not to install the Hybrid version and you would like an easy way to install the Original SD, go to my HDplus CM10/10.1 Easy Install Guide and Tools for Original SD here.

If you want to use the Hybrid and you already have an Original SD installation, you must abandon your current SD setup and start with a fresh re-burn of the card. You can use your old CWM (Clockworkmod recovery) on SD to back up your old Original SD installation. Then later, after flashing the ROM on the new SD, you can use your new CWM to do an advanced restore to restore your data. Then your apps and settings will remain.

I do not have the cyanoboot menu working like bokbokan does on the HD, but I have modified the bootloader to be able to manually choose stock or CM when the cyanoboot logo is up. See the section below about booting between ROMs.

Setting up the SD

Begin by downloading the files you need either with stock or your PC. You will need my Hybrid SD image file, attached below, my Hybrid SD CM ROM Converter zip, also attached below, the CM ROM zip you want to install and the gapps zip to match it. Put the last three zips on your internal media sdcard that is built into your Nook. To get them on the internal SD, just download the zips with stock to internal SD or hook your cable to the PC with stock booted and copy to internal SD. You can get the HD+ CM10 ROMs here and the HD+ CM10.1 ROMs here. You can get the gapps zips here, 20121011 for CM10 and 20121212 for CM10.1.

Extract the Hybrid SD image zip and you will have a 117MB .img file. Burn that to your SD with Win32DiskImager in Windows or the dd command in Linux or OSX. The SD can be as small as 2GB. The size does not effect the amount of apps you can install, but the bigger the card, the more media storage space you will have.

To use Win32DiskImager, find it on the web (here, it's free) and install it on your Windows PC. Open it (be sure to run it as administrator) and select the drive (device) that has your card reader with your SD inserted. Then in the image file box put the location where you have the extracted img file. Then when everything is set right, click on the write button. A warning will pop up asking if you want to proceed. When you have verified that you are going to write to the correct device, click on Yes. (One user overwrote their external USB hard drive by not verifying first). If you get an error message about access denied, it means you are looking at the drive with Windows Explorer. Close Windows Explorer and try again. In fact, it is a good idea to close all unnecessary windows when burning, even your browser.

When burning is complete, insert the SD into the Nook and boot. It should boot to the cyanoboot logo and sit there for a little while while it creates the other partitions on the SD. Then it will reboot on its own and take a little more time as it formats the CM10SDCARD partition. Then it will end up in CWM for HD+ Hybrid SD. To use CWM, press the volume up/down keys to move the cursor and the n key to select an item. The power key is the back button.

Installing ROMs

You can use the "install zip from SD/choose zip from internal memory" option to flash the CM ROM you downloaded earlier to your internal memory sdcard. After flashing the ROM and before rebooting, flash my Hybrid SD CM ROM Converter zip. It will make the necessary changes to the ROM to make it work on the Hybrid SD. If you forget to do this, it will hang in the boot animation forever when you reboot. To fix it, you can reboot to CWM to flash the Converter zip. Power off and while rebooting, wait for the small flash and the cyanoboot logo to show, then hold the power and n for a few seconds, let go of power so it does not turn itself off but keep holding n for a few more seconds and then let it go too. It should boot to CWM. Once back in CWM you can flash the converter zip and it should boot ok.

Optionally you can flash the right version of gapps to match your ROM. Gapps can be flashed any time after the ROM is flashed, before or after the converter zip, or even after booting.

When you reboot (you need to leave the SD in the slot), the CM ROM should start. Set it up however you want with your apps and Play Store if you flashed gapps. You can restore your apps with Titanium Backup if you used it. Or you can use the new CWM to do an advanced restore of /data of a prior nandroid backup of your SD installed CM to get your apps and settings back.

If you later want to upgrade your ROM to another build, download it to your CM10SDCARD partition using CM. Then boot to CWM and flash it. Again, immediately flash the converter zip.

UPDATE 5-14-13 - As of 5/5/13 verygreen changed the ramdisk so that the ROM no longer worked on Hybrid. I have now fixed that with rev 3 of the converter zip.

Booting between ROMs

I now have modified the bootloader to be able to boot back to stock. All you have to do is flash the latest version of the Converter zip attached below. It will add the new files necessary to make it work. You can do it even if you have already flashed the rev1 zip. It is not a complete boot menu, but is very simple to operate and it works with verygreen's new kernels. If you want to boot to CM on SD, do nothing and it will boot there automatically. If you want to boot to stock, hold the n key while the cyanoboot logo first comes up and it will boot to stock. And if you hold the n and power key, it will boot to CWM. You can still use the Quick Boot app as discussed in the next paragraph. It still works, there is just the extra step of holding the n key on booting to stock.

To make rebooting between Stock and CM easy, install an app from the Play Store called Quick Boot by Sirius Software. It is free. You can configure the menu choices. I set mine up for Reboot, Bootloader and Power Off. Reboot starts CM, Bootloader starts Stock (but with the new CM10 kernels, you must press the n key when the cyanoboot logo comes up) and of course Power Off turns off the device. I install this on both systems and it allows me to boot back and forth. The app will not run properly on Stock unless it is rooted.

If I want to go to SD recovery (CWM), the Quick Boot recovery option does not work, so I boot to CM and use the power off/reboot menu to select reboot to recovery. If the reboot to recovery option does not display, go to settings, about tablet and tap the build number several times. That will activate development options. Go to that. Then put a check in the Advanced reboot checkbox. Then when you hold the power button and the power off menu pops up, you can select reboot followed by recovery and it will boot to CWM.

Or you could just hold the power + n keys for a few seconds while the cyanoboot first starts. Wait for the cyanoboot logo to show, then press the power and n button together for a few seconds, then release the power button followed by the releasing the n button. It should boot to CWM. If it boots to stock or CM, you did not get the timing right. Try again. If it boots to stock recovery and asks if you want to erase data, click on exit and try again.

I believe the below modifications will still work on Bokokan's HD+ Hybrid. They worked on his HD version so they should work on his HD+ version, but I have not tested them.

Optional Modification to allow Stock to use the Hybrid SD for media storage.

If you want to use the Hybrid sdcard partition to store your media files while running stock, flash one of the four zips I made to help with that. They can be flashed with either the CM Hybrid CWM or my stock CWM. I have them hard coded so they will only effect the settings on stock. One zip, NookHD-HDplus-stock-fix-vold-for-dual-boot-hybrid.zip, will set stock so that it sees the Hybrid SD partition 3 (CM10SDCARD) as ext_sdcard under stock. That way you can access the files that CM puts there and CM can access the files stock puts there. Another zip, NookHD-HDplus-stock-fix-vold-for-dual-boot-hybrid-swapped.zip, will do the same thing but have ext_sdcard and sdcard swapped on stock much like my SDswap zip did. And a third zip, NookHD-HDplus-stock-return-vold-to-stock-settings.zip, will take stock back to the original settings if you want to use an ordinary SD with it. A fourth zip will remove the SDswap feature in stock if you installed it and want to leave the ability to see the Hybrid SD CM10SDCARD partition with stock.

New Stock CWM modified to be compatible with the Hybrid

This setup uses more of your internal data space so if you use older stock CWMs it means larger stock backups as it will backup the SD information along with the stock information. And if you wipe /data with the old CWM it will delete your new SD files. And if you restore an older stock backup with the old CWM, it will overwrite your SD files. I have modified the stock CWM so that when it wipes /data or backs up/restores /data it ignores and does not touch the information stored there for the SD operation. And you can restore old stock backups with the new stock CWM without worry. You can get the new rev3 of HD+ CWM for stock on my HD/HD+ CWM thread.

Swapping emmc and CM10SDCARD

Some users have a small SD card and want their apps to use the large internal media storage to store their data. I have developed a couple of zips to swap the internal and external SDs when booted to CM so your apps can use internal memory, one to add the swap and one to remove it. Get them attached below.

These zips can be flashed with CWM but will only install to the HD/HD+ Hybrid SD with CM. I just added rev2 which fixes a bug. If you already flashed rev0 or rev1, you need to flash the remove zip before you flash the rev2.

With rev2, both SDCARD and EMMC will show internal media storage, as will both MTP folders. A new folder, called ext_sdcard, will show the external Hybrid media partition.

I removed the manual instructions, it got too complicated.

Hybrid on the HD

Big thanks goes to bokbokan for working out the details of this scheme on the HD. All I did was adapt it to the HD+. For those of you with an HD and you have not read about bokbokan's Hybrid for the HD, you can read about it and get his image zip here. But his Hybrid only works on his CM10.1 ROMs. But with his CM10.1, there is no need to convert them. His has them all ready for his Hybrid setup. You can get his ROMs here. You can use my vold zips posted here for modifying stock to see his Hybrid SD, they work on both devices. And you can get rev3 of my stock HD CWM that has been modified to be compatible with his Hybrid SD on my HD/HD+ CWM thread linked in my signature.

Conclusion

I have tested this setup on both CM10 and CM10.1. It definitely runs faster and is more stable. I even have been using it on my PNY 8GB card that I could not even get to work with CM 7.2 on my Nook Color. It runs great now. And I tried the 1/20 version of CM10 that rebooted on me four times the first day I tried that version on my old setup. It has not rebooted once on this setup.

And I just tested it on a 2GB SD. It installs and runs fine. The only difference is it only has a 1GB CM10SDCARD partition.

But it is a work-in-progress so there may be bugs. If you have feedback or questions, reply to this thread. If you are a new user and cannot post here, post on my HD/HD+ tips thread here. Please do not send me private messages or emails. By posting in the forums others get a chance to help you and if I answer your question in the forum, others can see my response and it may help them too. If you post comments on verygreen's ROM threads, be sure to mention you are running his ROM on the Hybrid, including any special modifications you may have made here, like running different kernels.

Attachments

• NookHD-HDplus-stock-fix-vold-for-dual-boot-hybrid.zip
    153.5 KB · Views: 693
  • NookHD-HDplus-stock-fix-vold-for-dual-boot-hybrid-swapped.zip
    154.1 KB · Views: 431
  • NookHD-HDplus-stock-return-vold-to-stock-settings-rev2-(02.20.13).zip
    153.6 KB · Views: 359
  • NookHD-HDplus-remove-stock-SDSwap.zip
    152.6 KB · Views: 204
  • NookHD-HDplus-remove-SDSwap-for-CM10-10.1-rev2-(03.09.13).zip
    152.5 KB · Views: 265
  • NookHDplus-Hybrid-SD-image-and-CWM-rev1-(04.23.13).zip
    8.2 MB · Views: 687
  • NookHDplus-Hybrid-SD-CM-ROM-Converter-rev3-(05.14.13).zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 326
Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Change Log

Change Log

05/28/13 - no further development will be done on this Hybrid system.
05/14/13 - updated converter zip to rev3 to work with latest CM10.1 ROMS
04/23/13 - updated image zip to rev1, making it easier to install /data to internal memory after initial setup
04/10/13 - added warning about running CM10.1 on Hybrid (removed 4/23)
03/26/13 - removed fix 2/20 ROM zips
03/16/13 - added rev2 of the converter zip which also modifies the boot files so it is easy to boot between SD and stock.
03/09/13 - fixed one more bug where the swap would not work on CM10.1 (rev2), removed manual description
03/08/13 - fixed bug in swap zips, rev1 added, edited manual method
03/03/13 - added zip for swapping emmc and CM10SDCARD for users with small SDs, renamed stock swap removal zip
03/02/13 - added swapping emmc and CM10SDCARD for users with small SDs
02/23/13 - added more information about the HD version of Hybrid
02/20/13 - added fix CM10 2/20 zip and minor mod to return vold to stock zip (rev2)
02/18/13 - initial issue and minor change to converter zip for CM10.1 (rev1) and minor change to returning stock vold to original setting

Last edited:

MechaGen

Sep 9, 2008
Puyallup WA
Samsung Galaxy S20
Re: [HDplus] Hybrid SD for CM10/10.1 on the HDplus and Stock Dual Boot

I've read the OP twice. Two or three more times and I should be ready to give it a shot. Lol

Thanks Leapinlar for this and all you do for the Nook comunity!

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: youske

dbh369

Nov 4, 2007
Philadelphia
Thanks Leapinlar! One quick question, before I try it tonight. Does it do anything to your stock install? Of course we shoudl back up...

Also, right now, I have an SD card for stock and an SD card for CM10, seems these will need to be combined somehow? I'm guessing ADB push since you didn't use TWRP?

Thanks
dBh

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006

Thanks Leapinlar! One quick question, before I try it tonight. Does it do anything to your stock install? Of course we shoudl back up...

Also, right now, I have an SD card for stock and an SD card for CM10, seems these will need to be combined somehow? I'm guessing ADB push since you didn't use TWRP?

Thanks
dBh
The only thing this does is use more of your internal data space. And of course that means larger stock backups if you do not use my new stock CWM that has been modified to ignore the new SD files there. And if you restore an older stock backup with the old CWM it will overwrite your new SD files.

And I have zips above to make it so stock can use the media partition on the Hybrid SD. To transfer your existing files, just copy the media files from your plain SD to the CM10SDCARD when running the Hybrid CM and using MTP and your PC. And the same for transferring your existing CM10 media files, use MTP.

Sent from my Nook HD running CM10.1 on Hybrid SD

Last edited:

bpaulien

Jan 10, 2013
Columbus

This is very cool and I hope to get it running tomorrow night. One question. If I copy my titanium backup folder over to stock, can I restore from that? Or does it just need to be the CWM recovery?

I've got a lot installed, so just want to make sure that I get it back instead of having to do it piece at a time.

Also, are apps visible between stock and SD or just data? (In other words, if I install something on CM10, can I access that on stock, or would I have to install the app on both like I do now?)

sent from my B&N Nook HD+ running cm10 from sd card using tapatalk HD

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006

This is very cool and I hope to get it running tomorrow night. One question. If I copy my titanium backup folder over to stock, can I restore from that? Or does it just need to be the CWM recovery?

I've got a lot installed, so just want to make sure that I get it back instead of having to do it piece at a time.

Also, are apps visible between stock and SD or just data? (In other words, if I install something on CM10, can I access that on stock, or would I have to install the app on both like I do now?)

sent from my B&N Nook HD+ running cm10 from sd card using tapatalk HD
Yes, you can use TB. And no, the apps are separate.

Sent from my Nook HD+ running CM10 on Hybrid SD

Zachinater

Jan 12, 2013
monument

Just tried it out on my nook Hd plus and is great
Cm10 runs way more smooth than before and i have had no problems at all with this method so far
I love being able to store all my apps to the internal storage
I now prefer this over stock root

Sent from my LT28i using xda app-developers app

Stevethegreat

Nov 28, 2010
Just tried it out on my nook Hd plus and is great
Cm10 runs way more smooth than before and i have had no problems at all with this method so far
I love being able to store all my apps to the internal storage
I now prefer this over stock root

May I ask what is/was the SD card you used before trying hybrid? (I'm asking because anything which would improve smoothness I would try).

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006

This sounds great, but I have one question: does this new version solve the Bluetooth issues?
This is not a new ROM, it is just a new way of installing a ROM. So I doubt there will be any difference in how Bluetooth works.

dbh369

Nov 4, 2007
Philadelphia
Hoped because the key parts were in EMMC that I could re-institute mty 64G Cl 10 Sandisk card, nope, kept crashing anyway...alas, back to my 32G CL6...

But it does work! Thanks Leap.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006

Er, as in BT doesn't work? At least that's what I notice on CM10. I am unable to pair, though I can see. And other devices can't see the Nook even when 'visible'. PS, I knew BT signal was low, but this seems to be non-existent?
I am running the 1/20 CM10 ROM and Bluetooth works fine. I am able to see the device on my laptop, pair and transfer files.

cabegol

Oct 1, 2008
Great

Just a success report! It work perfect!!!

Thanks a lot Leapinlar!!!

By the way, I'm running it on a 32GB Sandisk Micro Ultra (class 10).

You can use the "install zip from SD/install from internal memory" options to flash the CM ROM you downloaded earlier to your internal memory sdcard. Immediately, before rebooting, flash my Hybrid SD CM ROM Converter zip. It will make the necessary changes to the ROM to make it work on the Hybrid SD. If you forget to do this, it will hang in the boot animation forever when you reboot. To fix it, you can reboot to CWM by powering off and holding the power and n key temporarily while rebooting. Not too long with the power key or it will turn itself off. Once back in CWM you can flash the converter zip and it should boot okay.

Then optionally you can flash the right version of gapps to match your ROM.

Just to clarify, Should I install gapps BEFORE installing the converter zip just before rebooting?

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006

Just to clarify, Should I install gapps BEFORE installing the converter zip just before rebooting?
It does not matter whether you do the gapps before the converter or after, or not at all. Just do the converter before you reboot.

Last edited:

Zachinater

Jan 12, 2013
monument

SanDisk class 4 8gb

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

May I ask what is/was the SD card you used before trying hybrid? (I'm asking because anything which would improve smoothness I would try).

SanDisk class 4 8gb

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE 5/28/13 - There will be no further development on this thread. Verygreen has changed his SD scheme and they no longer work on this system and Bokbokan has started to develop his own HD+ Hybrid which is better than mine. The Cyanoboot menu works on his and the ROMs come ready for his Hybrid. See his thread here. Some of the other zips on this thread will still work with bokbokan's new HD+ Hybrid.

You can still use this Hybrid on verygreen's Legacy SD ROMs up to 5/29/13 (Legacy only)

To see the original Hybrid setup click on the Show Content button.

I have adapted bokbokan's HD Hybrid SD scheme to the HDplus. Hybrid means it has part of the operating system files on the SD and part of them on internal memory. The older Original way of installing to SD put all of the operating system files on the SD. With the Hybrid scheme you can dual boot between CM (Cyanogenmod) on SD and Stock on internal memory. It can boot to stock without stock hanging at 99% like it did with the older Original SD scheme. The CM ROM is put on a specially formatted SD and uses internal memory for storing installed apps and settings. The ROM runs faster and you can run it on some SDs that would not run well under the old scheme. Like the older SD installation, your stock ROM setup is not changed. The CM setup is entirely separate from the stock setup. It uses the same ROMs that are available for the Original SD installation. They are just modified slightly to make them run on the Hybrid. If you decide not to install the Hybrid version and you would like an easy way to install the Original SD, go to my HDplus CM10/10.1 Easy Install Guide and Tools for Original SD here.

If you want to use the Hybrid and you already have an Original SD installation, you must abandon your current SD setup and start with a fresh re-burn of the card. You can use your old CWM (Clockworkmod recovery) on SD to back up your old Original SD installation. Then later, after flashing the ROM on the new SD, you can use your new CWM to do an advanced restore to restore your data. Then your apps and settings will remain.

I do not have the cyanoboot menu working like bokbokan does on the HD, but I have modified the bootloader to be able to manually choose stock or CM when the cyanoboot logo is up. See the section below about booting between ROMs.

Setting up the SD

Begin by downloading the files you need either with stock or your PC. You will need my Hybrid SD image file, attached below, my Hybrid SD CM ROM Converter zip, also attached below, the CM ROM zip you want to install and the gapps zip to match it. Put the last three zips on your internal media sdcard that is built into your Nook. To get them on the internal SD, just download the zips with stock to internal SD or hook your cable to the PC with stock booted and copy to internal SD. You can get the HD+ CM10 ROMs here and the HD+ CM10.1 ROMs here. You can get the gapps zips here, 20121011 for CM10 and 20121212 for CM10.1.

Extract the Hybrid SD image zip and you will have a 117MB .img file. Burn that to your SD with Win32DiskImager in Windows or the dd command in Linux or OSX. The SD can be as small as 2GB. The size does not effect the amount of apps you can install, but the bigger the card, the more media storage space you will have.

To use Win32DiskImager, find it on the web (here, it's free) and install it on your Windows PC. Open it (be sure to run it as administrator) and select the drive (device) that has your card reader with your SD inserted. Then in the image file box put the location where you have the extracted img file. Then when everything is set right, click on the write button. A warning will pop up asking if you want to proceed. When you have verified that you are going to write to the correct device, click on Yes. (One user overwrote their external USB hard drive by not verifying first). If you get an error message about access denied, it means you are looking at the drive with Windows Explorer. Close Windows Explorer and try again. In fact, it is a good idea to close all unnecessary windows when burning, even your browser.

When burning is complete, insert the SD into the Nook and boot. It should boot to the cyanoboot logo and sit there for a little while while it creates the other partitions on the SD. Then it will reboot on its own and take a little more time as it formats the CM10SDCARD partition. Then it will end up in CWM for HD+ Hybrid SD. To use CWM, press the volume up/down keys to move the cursor and the n key to select an item. The power key is the back button.

Installing ROMs

You can use the "install zip from SD/choose zip from internal memory" option to flash the CM ROM you downloaded earlier to your internal memory sdcard. After flashing the ROM and before rebooting, flash my Hybrid SD CM ROM Converter zip. It will make the necessary changes to the ROM to make it work on the Hybrid SD. If you forget to do this, it will hang in the boot animation forever when you reboot. To fix it, you can reboot to CWM to flash the Converter zip. Power off and while rebooting, wait for the small flash and the cyanoboot logo to show, then hold the power and n for a few seconds, let go of power so it does not turn itself off but keep holding n for a few more seconds and then let it go too. It should boot to CWM. Once back in CWM you can flash the converter zip and it should boot ok.

Optionally you can flash the right version of gapps to match your ROM. Gapps can be flashed any time after the ROM is flashed, before or after the converter zip, or even after booting.

When you reboot (you need to leave the SD in the slot), the CM ROM should start. Set it up however you want with your apps and Play Store if you flashed gapps. You can restore your apps with Titanium Backup if you used it. Or you can use the new CWM to do an advanced restore of /data of a prior nandroid backup of your SD installed CM to get your apps and settings back.

If you later want to upgrade your ROM to another build, download it to your CM10SDCARD partition using CM. Then boot to CWM and flash it. Again, immediately flash the converter zip.

UPDATE 5-14-13 - As of 5/5/13 verygreen changed the ramdisk so that the ROM no longer worked on Hybrid. I have now fixed that with rev 3 of the converter zip.

Booting between ROMs

I now have modified the bootloader to be able to boot back to stock. All you have to do is flash the latest version of the Converter zip attached below. It will add the new files necessary to make it work. You can do it even if you have already flashed the rev1 zip. It is not a complete boot menu, but is very simple to operate and it works with verygreen's new kernels. If you want to boot to CM on SD, do nothing and it will boot there automatically. If you want to boot to stock, hold the n key while the cyanoboot logo first comes up and it will boot to stock. And if you hold the n and power key, it will boot to CWM. You can still use the Quick Boot app as discussed in the next paragraph. It still works, there is just the extra step of holding the n key on booting to stock.

To make rebooting between Stock and CM easy, install an app from the Play Store called Quick Boot by Sirius Software. It is free. You can configure the menu choices. I set mine up for Reboot, Bootloader and Power Off. Reboot starts CM, Bootloader starts Stock (but with the new CM10 kernels, you must press the n key when the cyanoboot logo comes up) and of course Power Off turns off the device. I install this on both systems and it allows me to boot back and forth. The app will not run properly on Stock unless it is rooted.

If I want to go to SD recovery (CWM), the Quick Boot recovery option does not work, so I boot to CM and use the power off/reboot menu to select reboot to recovery. If the reboot to recovery option does not display, go to settings, about tablet and tap the build number several times. That will activate development options. Go to that. Then put a check in the Advanced reboot checkbox. Then when you hold the power button and the power off menu pops up, you can select reboot followed by recovery and it will boot to CWM.

Or you could just hold the power + n keys for a few seconds while the cyanoboot first starts. Wait for the cyanoboot logo to show, then press the power and n button together for a few seconds, then release the power button followed by the releasing the n button. It should boot to CWM. If it boots to stock or CM, you did not get the timing right. Try again. If it boots to stock recovery and asks if you want to erase data, click on exit and try again.

I believe the below modifications will still work on Bokokan's HD+ Hybrid. They worked on his HD version so they should work on his HD+ version, but I have not tested them.

Optional Modification to allow Stock to use the Hybrid SD for media storage.

If you want to use the Hybrid sdcard partition to store your media files while running stock, flash one of the four zips I made to help with that. They can be flashed with either the CM Hybrid CWM or my stock CWM. I have them hard coded so they will only effect the settings on stock. One zip, NookHD-HDplus-stock-fix-vold-for-dual-boot-hybrid.zip, will set stock so that it sees the Hybrid SD partition 3 (CM10SDCARD) as ext_sdcard under stock. That way you can access the files that CM puts there and CM can access the files stock puts there. Another zip, NookHD-HDplus-stock-fix-vold-for-dual-boot-hybrid-swapped.zip, will do the same thing but have ext_sdcard and sdcard swapped on stock much like my SDswap zip did. And a third zip, NookHD-HDplus-stock-return-vold-to-stock-settings.zip, will take stock back to the original settings if you want to use an ordinary SD with it. A fourth zip will remove the SDswap feature in stock if you installed it and want to leave the ability to see the Hybrid SD CM10SDCARD partition with stock.

New Stock CWM modified to be compatible with the Hybrid

This setup uses more of your internal data space so if you use older stock CWMs it means larger stock backups as it will backup the SD information along with the stock information. And if you wipe /data with the old CWM it will delete your new SD files. And if you restore an older stock backup with the old CWM, it will overwrite your SD files. I have modified the stock CWM so that when it wipes /data or backs up/restores /data it ignores and does not touch the information stored there for the SD operation. And you can restore old stock backups with the new stock CWM without worry. You can get the new rev3 of HD+ CWM for stock on my HD/HD+ CWM thread.

Swapping emmc and CM10SDCARD

Some users have a small SD card and want their apps to use the large internal media storage to store their data. I have developed a couple of zips to swap the internal and external SDs when booted to CM so your apps can use internal memory, one to add the swap and one to remove it. Get them attached below.

These zips can be flashed with CWM but will only install to the HD/HD+ Hybrid SD with CM. I just added rev2 which fixes a bug. If you already flashed rev0 or rev1, you need to flash the remove zip before you flash the rev2.

With rev2, both SDCARD and EMMC will show internal media storage, as will both MTP folders. A new folder, called ext_sdcard, will show the external Hybrid media partition.

I removed the manual instructions, it got too complicated.

Hybrid on the HD

Big thanks goes to bokbokan for working out the details of this scheme on the HD. All I did was adapt it to the HD+. For those of you with an HD and you have not read about bokbokan's Hybrid for the HD, you can read about it and get his image zip here. But his Hybrid only works on his CM10.1 ROMs. But with his CM10.1, there is no need to convert them. His has them all ready for his Hybrid setup. You can get his ROMs here. You can use my vold zips posted here for modifying stock to see his Hybrid SD, they work on both devices. And you can get rev3 of my stock HD CWM that has been modified to be compatible with his Hybrid SD on my HD/HD+ CWM thread linked in my signature.

Conclusion

I have tested this setup on both CM10 and CM10.1. It definitely runs faster and is more stable. I even have been using it on my PNY 8GB card that I could not even get to work with CM 7.2 on my Nook Color. It runs great now. And I tried the 1/20 version of CM10 that rebooted on me four times the first day I tried that version on my old setup. It has not rebooted once on this setup.

And I just tested it on a 2GB SD. It installs and runs fine. The only difference is it only has a 1GB CM10SDCARD partition.

But it is a work-in-progress so there may be bugs. If you have feedback or questions, reply to this thread. If you are a new user and cannot post here, post on my HD/HD+ tips thread here. Please do not send me private messages or emails. By posting in the forums others get a chance to help you and if I answer your question in the forum, others can see my response and it may help them too. If you post comments on verygreen's ROM threads, be sure to mention you are running his ROM on the Hybrid, including any special modifications you may have made here, like running different kernels.
    Just updated the OP with rev3 of the converter zip. It fixes the ramdisk problem introduced in the 5/5 CM10.1 ROM. Just flash that after flashing the newer ROMs. It should work on all of the newer ones, but only tested on 5/12.

Sent from my Nook HD+ running CM10.1 on emmc.
    Something special on Nook HD/HD+. Verygreen reported sometime back that the B&N kernel has trouble with some SDs.
    It's not the kernel, it's nook hardware that's faulty, I believe.
    The 2.1.0 kernel update includes some more bandaids in this area that I've yet to try.
    With stock kernels I had Sandisk class 4 cards working fine in 2.0.0 release only (the one where they 100% match vanilla kernel code in emmc area, U-1 cards had problems, though), once they started to add workarounds in 2.0.2, problems appeared on all kinds of cards, including class 4.

We'll see what 2.1.0 changes bring us (I see they now do retries on io errors)
    Change Log

Change Log

05/28/13 - no further development will be done on this Hybrid system.
    05/14/13 - updated converter zip to rev3 to work with latest CM10.1 ROMS
    04/23/13 - updated image zip to rev1, making it easier to install /data to internal memory after initial setup
    04/10/13 - added warning about running CM10.1 on Hybrid (removed 4/23)
    03/26/13 - removed fix 2/20 ROM zips
    03/16/13 - added rev2 of the converter zip which also modifies the boot files so it is easy to boot between SD and stock.
    03/09/13 - fixed one more bug where the swap would not work on CM10.1 (rev2), removed manual description
    03/08/13 - fixed bug in swap zips, rev1 added, edited manual method
    03/03/13 - added zip for swapping emmc and CM10SDCARD for users with small SDs, renamed stock swap removal zip
    03/02/13 - added swapping emmc and CM10SDCARD for users with small SDs
    02/23/13 - added more information about the HD version of Hybrid
    02/20/13 - added fix CM10 2/20 zip and minor mod to return vold to stock zip (rev2)
    02/18/13 - initial issue and minor change to converter zip for CM10.1 (rev1) and minor change to returning stock vold to original setting
    All the files are for 7" Samsung Tabs, which one is supposed to work for the HD+?

That thread has download links for the Auto-Patcher utility. You are supposed to download that utility and point it at the ROM you are using. The utility generates the zip to be applied to patch the UI. Don't use the Samsung specific files in that thread.

I have attached the zip's that the utility generates for 0422 ROM. Reboot to recovery, apply the *-tabletUI-*-update.zip to change UI to tablet UI and clear the cache/dalvik cache. Presumably the *-restore.zip is for restoring back to original ROM - i didn't verify whether it works.

The patch isn't without glitches. The history of apps used repaints the screen and pops up in the middle. Some stuff is skewed when tapping the status at right bottom. Still it's a lot better than stock 10.1 IMO.