Samsung Refuse to admit Note 2 N7102 does NOT work in North America

Search This thread

hendrickchan

Jun 23, 2009
I think we should be constructive and give them a chance to handle the issue. We should find a way to get some engineer figure out if it's a hardware restriction or software flaw. I still believe, that based on the ICs used for the product it should be capable of handling 850 WCDMA on SIM1 and 850 GSM on SIM2. I hope they can update the baseband.
Are there any places in China, Taiwan, Korea or other countries it is officially sold where a provider use 850GSM? That can be a target to claim and test.

Dw.

Sent from my GT-N7102 using xda app-developers app

They are currently. handling the issue by changing the specs on their website and offering refunds. Instead of informing us the truth about the hardware and what they plan to do about the false advertisement. I am personally not satisfied with the situation.

Their customer service is trained to convince the user it is somehow their fault that the unit does not work. Either claiming that the sim might be using a different voltage, the phone is only for Chinese Sims, etc etc etc. GSM and WCDMA are world standards, if you indicate the supported frequency, it should function with any sim and in any country which support said frequency. Instead of treating us like idiots, Samsung should have launched an investigation on the situation and issue a press release.

Now if I want the situation to change we must provide incentive for Samsung to act. If numerous customer complaints are not enough maybe media spotlight would get them going. Samsung is on the rise, I would prefer to keep them honest and not what till they are the only mobile phone company left and we all have no choice but to accept whatever they shove down our throats.

Reactions: tee1

stunner

Jul 4, 2004
So far I guess only the 850mhz WCDMA doesn't work. This three 900MHz/1800MHz/2,100MHz should be working on WCDMA on the small slot I can only confirmed 900/1800 as I have all three simcard of three operator in singapore . Samsung.com.cn even they edit also doesn't give the fact right. What a shame,I really wonder what they are doing.There is a high chance that is software flaw on this issue since the hardware is suppose to support 4 band.

Last edited:

ben1dan

Nov 3, 2010
Called 400 number on Friday. The tech support girl asked me to leave my number so someone could call back. Someone did call back in about one hour. She acknowledged the problem, and asked me about my demands. I asked if they were working on a tech solution, i.e. rom update. The answer was no. Then I asked for a refund. She said she would report to higher level. Another hour later, someone else, this time a guy, called back. He did not provide anything new, but promised to provide a "solution" when I am in China.

The Samsung number I called in China was in my previous post 4008105858
The id number of the guy that offered me the refund is #1449

How you can get some satisfaction
Sent from my GT-N7102 using XDA Premium HD app

andyhkng

Feb 13, 2013
Called 400 number on Friday. The tech support girl asked me to leave my number so someone could call back. Someone did call back in about one hour. She acknowledged the problem, and asked me about my demands. I asked if they were working on a tech solution, i.e. rom update. The answer was no. Then I asked for a refund. She said she would report to higher level. Another hour later, someone else, this time a guy, called back. He did not provide anything new, but promised to provide a "solution" when I am in China.

I tried calling from Canada using 011-86-4008105858 but it keeps giving me a "empty number". What number did you dial?

AN

yanyu

Mar 2nd Update

Sorry I didn't keep this post update regularly.

But I didn't rest. I have already gathered more than 200 people in China fighting against Samsung over the N7102 Baseband issue.

We are trying in every possible way to push Samsung, and force them to face us.

We already have a lot of media following this issue about Samsung's false advertisement on this issue, and we are trying to taking Samsung China to the court as well.

At the same time, Samsung is trying to stop us.

They negotiated with a lot of medias to stop their news on their website and megzine.
They bribed most of chinese video hosting site to delete my demonstration video.

We will not stop !

Here's two things that you can do if you want to help us:

1. We are trying to gather as many as possible signned paper to file 315 report.(BBB in China)
download the docment below, sign, and send to our email 631265979@qq.com

2. If you live in New York, please contact me right away. I hope we can have some people go to
March 14th's Galaxy S IV lauch event with a big sign to tell Samsung head office, N7102 have a problem.
I beleive if Samsung Korea or their head office are aware of these issue, a solution will come out very fast.

tee1

Jan 19, 2013
Los Angeles
Mar 2nd Update

But I didn't rest. I have already gathered more than 200 people in China fighting against Samsung over the N7102 Baseband issue.

We already have a lot of media following this issue about Samsung's false advertisement on this issue, and we are trying to taking Samsung China to the court as well.

They negotiated with a lot of medias to stop their news on their website and megzine.
They bribed most of chinese video hosting site to delete my demonstration video.
We will not stop !

1. We are trying to gather as many as possible signned paper to file 315 report.(BBB in China)

2. If you live in New York, please contact me right away. I hope we can have some people go to
March 14th's Galaxy S IV lauch event with a big sign to tell Samsung head office, N7102 have a problem.
I beleive if Samsung Korea or their head office are aware of these issue, a solution will come out very fast.

I love the 2nd idea I wish I could be in NY to ask Samsung about this fraud. I hope some people do this!!!

Dwokfur

Dec 9, 2012
Budapest
atoth.sote.hu
Which websites did they bribe and how did they approach you on bringing down your video?

I jut can't understand Samsung. It would take only two days for an engineer to correct that baseband. Is it really a hardware issue? The chips they used should handle the frequency. It is definitely more expensive to bribe sites than to put an engineer on the issue. Nonsense...

EmptyArea

Dec 17, 2010
Unless I've misunderstood the issue, this thread should pretty much be closed now. Samsung changed their specs for the device and offered a refund. So long as any device bought before the change in specs is eligible for a full refund then they've been reasonable. The refund should include reasonable postage costs where applicable and you should approach your reseller directly assuming they also mis-sold the product. And of cause look at all applicable consumer laws for the country's involved.

It might not be the solution you want but that doesn't mean it's wrong. Poor service perhaps but that's a business decision.

Dec 8, 2012
Refund

Hi guys,
I am now thinking of a refund so I can buy the new S4.
Anyone did it? I am now in China, should I just go back to the shop or contact Samsung?
Thanks!
Julien

yanyu

Unless I've misunderstood the issue, this thread should pretty much be closed now. Samsung changed their specs for the device and offered a refund. So long as any device bought before the change in specs is eligible for a full refund then they've been reasonable. The refund should include reasonable postage costs where applicable and you should approach your reseller directly assuming they also mis-sold the product. And of cause look at all applicable consumer laws for the country's involved.

It might not be the solution you want but that doesn't mean it's wrong. Poor service perhaps but that's a business decision.

according to Chinese consumer protection law. If business use misleading or false information lead consumer to purchase, they have to double refund.

It's not just poor service. It's moral issue.

Dwokfur

Dec 9, 2012
Budapest
atoth.sote.hu

I live in Europe and I'd like to use both SIMs just like at home when I travel to the US. I don't want a refund. This phone is what I need. Dual SIM fully active. I can't understand why they would not address the issue in an upcoming firmware update. It would be cheaper compared to mass refunds. Disappointing.

EmptyArea

Dec 17, 2010
according to Chinese consumer protection law. If business use misleading or false information lead consumer to purchase, they have to double refund.

It's not just poor service. It's moral issue.

I dig that law, a bit of instant justice. Adds risk for big product lunches tho :/

I live in Europe and I'd like to use both SIMs just like at home when I travel to the US. I don't want a refund. This phone is what I need. Dual SIM fully active. I can't understand why they would not address the issue in an upcoming firmware update. It would be cheaper compared to mass refunds. Disappointing.

What you want and what's available don't have to be the same thing. I'd put strong faith that Samsung will be taking the best action they can, ergo they can't fix it with firmware / can't do it quickly. The spec change could be temporary rather than pulling the product, but I doubt it.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda app-developers app

hendrickchan

Jun 23, 2009
No official statement means they're trying to sweep this under the rug. A very irresponsible way to handle a problem. Regardless of the way this turns out, I would just like every prospective Samsung customer know this is how Samsung handles problems.

Everybody knows how Apple handled 'Antennagate'. Everyone should know how Samsung handled this.

andyhkng

Feb 13, 2013
I dig that law, a bit of instant justice. Adds risk for big product lunches tho :/

What you want and what's available don't have to be the same thing. I'd put strong faith that Samsung will be taking the best action they can, ergo they can't fix it with firmware / can't do it quickly. The spec change could be temporary rather than pulling the product, but I doubt it.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda app-developers app

The process that samsung is taking to deal with this issue is upsetting. I have asked my father in law to be prepared for me to ship this back for a refund. He is worried that if samsung is dealing with this issue with such disrespect for the consumer, That he is also going to have a difficult time getting a refund. Terrible. I cant even call the customer service long distance from canada to at least get a case number. I tried all ways. Dang Samsung. This N7102 is my first and last samsung purchase.

stunner

Jul 4, 2004
I understand for refund we need to produce tax receipt in china,and if we root the phone will they thoroughly check thru before the refund?Anyone success in claiming a refund here?As i brought my phone in HK I got no idea how to claim mine.

jessezx

Mar 10, 2005

not true. gsm 850@sim 2 is supposed to work even with the changed spec.

Sent from my GT-N7102 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mar 2nd Update

We will not stop !

Re: Dual Sim Dual Stand By N7102 to work in North America with GSM + 3G

I am visiting family in China for Chinese new year.
    We called the samsung support line today to complain about the lack of 850Mhz WCDMA support.
    After 20 minutes discussion in which they tried every excuse why it is my fault, or the sim card is faulty, etc they finally agreed to escalate the problem.
    I have been promised a return call within 24 hours.
    Will cross fingers.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using XDA Premium HD app
    @andyhkng try +864008105858.

Guys, take a look at this link.

http://news.chengdu.cn/content/2013-02/26/content_1163660.htm?node=583

Finally some press about the N7102's problems. The earlier we get this on gadget sites the better.
    we will have our people in China meeting with Samsung people tomorrow.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mar 5nd Update

we will have our people in China meeting with Samsung people flying from head office tomorrow.

Stay Tuned

Another Media report

http://translate.google.com/transla...tnews.itxinwen.com/tsal/2013/0306/485287.html

Mar 2nd Update

But I didn't rest. I have already gathered more than 200 people in China fighting against Samsung over the N7102 Baseband issue. (QQ group 289956485 )

We already have a lot of media following this issue about Samsung's false advertisement, and we are trying to taking Samsung China to the court as well.

We will not stop !

Feb 16th Update

After took apart the N7102, the Base Band chipset in the phone is Qualcomm ESC6270+ Intel XG626

Intel XG626 supports GSM 850/900/1900/2100 + WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100 without a problem, a lot of phones are using this chipset.

But I can't find any information about Qualcomm ESC6270

The only thing I found is a LG C320 phone with repair manual HERE

This phone use ESC6270 with Support GSM 850, but in this manual, some places says it has ESC6270, some places says it has QSC6270.

If any one can figure out more from here, please let me know.

2012122213125949.jpg

Original Post

According to 60 pages thread in here,

the conclusion is N7102 will not work on 850 1900 WCDMA in Slot1 and 850 1900 GSM Slot2

I already sent report to Samsung China official website, and hope they can finish the update soon

===========================
    here is a possible way that might let the 850 and 1900 work. But with current ROM version, it's not working.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=37162564&postcount=523

May be we can try flash international N7102 rom instead of the China Unicom one.
    I don't know where to find it tho...
    =============================

Summary of the Problem:

Micro Sim, Slot1
    Should be
    GSM 850/900/1900/2100
    Plus
    WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100

Actual:
    GSM 850/900/1900/2100 ALL works
    WCDMA 900/2100 works
    WCDMA 850/1900 not working