[How To][Mod][Magiskv16/TWRP]Get Dual Speaker Output (like S9) on S8/S8+ [Exynos]

Search This thread

otonieru

May 7, 2011
Djakarta
Am cleaning up & updating the thread

How To Video by @ISF

So, Samsung Galaxy S9 was launched, with an AKG tuned Stereo Speaker. A definitive upgrade from a single bottom firing Speaker on S8 & S8+

but, luckily for us, S8 & S8+ (Exynos Variant) user, there's a way to at least get a similar audio experience on our phone.

This is achieved by enabling our "earpiece speaker" as a secondary output. Creating a pseudo-stereo experience. Sure its nothing when compared to real stereo on S9, but hey, at least we got something right ?

So, how do we get that ? It's simple. We need to modify some lines on mixer_paths.xml file located in system/etc/
but lets make that easier, by providing a Magisk Module & TWRP flashable .zip for you to use.

For you Magisk User, simply download the GalaxyS8DualSpeakerMagiskModule from attachment, and flash it through your Magisk Manager.

If you use SuperSU, you can use TWRP zip also from the attachment, and flash it from your recovery.

Both file support latest OREO firmware and Magisk 16. (If you are still on Nougat, download Nougat version from attachment)

Now, to make it even better, you can then install Audio Mod to your S8, like Viper4FX or A.R.I.S.E the effect will applied to both of the speakers.

For Advanced User :

If you need to adjust the gain yourself, find these lines in mixer_gains and adjust the 35 or 40 value to your liking :

<path name="gain-media-speaker">
<ctl name="HPOUT3L Input 1 Volume" value="35" />
<ctl name="HPOUT3R Input 1 Volume" value="35" />
</path>

<path name="gain-media-headset">
<ctl name="HPOUT2L Impedance Volume" value="107" />
<ctl name="HPOUT2R Impedance Volume" value="107" />
<ctl name="HPOUT2L Input 1 Volume" value="40" />
<ctl name="HPOUT2R Input 1 Volume" value="40" />
</path>

ORIGINAL MOD CREDIT goes to @MichaelGroth

Flashable TWRP & Magisk ZIP by me & @LinkseD.

Thank you @silvercat who brought this info on another device thread, and to @topjohnwu who made the systemless method for this mod possible through his Magisk creation.

Attachments

• mixer_paths.xml
    56.9 KB · Views: 5,960
  • original_mixer_paths.xml
    56.8 KB · Views: 3,419
  • GalaxyS8DualSpeakerMagiskModule-v7-Nougat.zip
    16.1 KB · Views: 2,895
  • GalaxyS8DualSpeakerTWRP-Nougat.zip
    401.9 KB · Views: 1,610
  • GalaxyS8DualSpeakerTWRP-OREO.zip
    404 KB · Views: 7,543
  • GalaxyS8DualSpeakerMagiskModule-v6-OREO-1.zip
    23.2 KB · Views: 4,653
Last edited:

prodigyX

Jul 19, 2011
Durban
Can I assume from the title that you DO need root for this to work? My S8+ is not rooted and I want to keep my warranty, but this mod looks amazing :(

Reactions: AlfRider

Gilg@mesh

Jan 15, 2009
Stockholm
thanks, this thread should be moved to mods section I guess :)

edit: I flashed zip file but I don't get any sound from second speaker...or it's very low I don't notice :D

Last edited:

dehnhaide

Mar 16, 2009
Bucharest
thanks, this thread should be moved to mods section I guess :)

edit: I flashed zip file but I don't get any sound from second speaker...or it's very low I don't notice :D
Indeed I can report it is working but...
1) the volume from the ear piece speaker is very low or it could be that just the main speaker is too loud and "covers" it...
2) I perceive there is a small delay between the two speakers, specifically when watching YouTube videos, landscape viewing. Sounds more like a reverb... Or it could be just me! :)

otonieru

May 7, 2011
Djakarta
Indeed I can report it is working but...
1) the volume from the ear piece speaker is very low or it could be that just the main speaker is too loud and "covers" it...
2) I perceive there is a small delay between the two speakers, specifically when watching YouTube videos, landscape viewing. Sounds more like a reverb... Or it could be just me! :)

The mod used can be said as a "safe stage" since earpiece is not actually made for audio playback,

Increasing too much volume into it can break the thing.

This is why the mod kept at the subtle lebel.

You still can edit the mixer to increase the volume level btw, just be careful when doing so, LoL

Btw, am sorry MOD, @Bajanman @Razvan , i think this thread would be more proper to be placed on "Theme, Mods & Apps" thread, so maybe you can move it if you dont mind.

TIA

Last edited:

MetaIIica

Aug 30, 2012
Saarbrücken
here a Soundmod to increase Sound louder for your Headset, see Attachment

Root required! Just copy both .xml in /system/etc and overwrite. Set Permission to 644 (rw-r-r) and reboot

Attachments

• mixer_gains.xml
    49.2 KB · Views: 757
  • mixer_gains_r00.xml
    45.1 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:

this.guy.lol

May 14, 2015
OnePlus 9 Pro
I'd like a volume mod for the bottom speaker and a individual one for dual speaker mod with added media gain, bt gain and slight call gain. Im sure alot of people who be on board with this! Had the s7 edge and got it solely for that speaker hacks.

Reactions: ICECOLDKILLAH

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Am cleaning up & updating the thread

How To Video by @ISF

So, Samsung Galaxy S9 was launched, with an AKG tuned Stereo Speaker. A definitive upgrade from a single bottom firing Speaker on S8 & S8+

but, luckily for us, S8 & S8+ (Exynos Variant) user, there's a way to at least get a similar audio experience on our phone.

This is achieved by enabling our "earpiece speaker" as a secondary output. Creating a pseudo-stereo experience. Sure its nothing when compared to real stereo on S9, but hey, at least we got something right ?

So, how do we get that ? It's simple. We need to modify some lines on mixer_paths.xml file located in system/etc/
    but lets make that easier, by providing a Magisk Module & TWRP flashable .zip for you to use.

For you Magisk User, simply download the GalaxyS8DualSpeakerMagiskModule from attachment, and flash it through your Magisk Manager.

If you use SuperSU, you can use TWRP zip also from the attachment, and flash it from your recovery.

Both file support latest OREO firmware and Magisk 16. (If you are still on Nougat, download Nougat version from attachment)

Now, to make it even better, you can then install Audio Mod to your S8, like Viper4FX or A.R.I.S.E the effect will applied to both of the speakers.

For Advanced User :

If you need to adjust the gain yourself, find these lines in mixer_gains and adjust the 35 or 40 value to your liking :

<path name="gain-media-speaker">
    <ctl name="HPOUT3L Input 1 Volume" value="35" />
    <ctl name="HPOUT3R Input 1 Volume" value="35" />
    </path>

<path name="gain-media-headset">
    <ctl name="HPOUT2L Impedance Volume" value="107" />
    <ctl name="HPOUT2R Impedance Volume" value="107" />
    <ctl name="HPOUT2L Input 1 Volume" value="40" />
    <ctl name="HPOUT2R Input 1 Volume" value="40" />
    </path>

ORIGINAL MOD CREDIT goes to @MichaelGroth

Flashable TWRP & Magisk ZIP by me & @LinkseD.

Thank you @silvercat who brought this info on another device thread, and to @topjohnwu who made the systemless method for this mod possible through his Magisk creation.
    Ah, ok Haha. np. If there is enough interest around this I will make a flashable version and I might also add some volume modifications. ?
    Thanks for the interest guys. I will make a dual speaker mod with different sound modifications, and sound modifications for single speaker. I just need a little time tho. I have alot on my plate tomorrow. But I will make a thread when ready. ?
    Thanks for the credit. But who is silvercat?
    here a Soundmod to increase Sound louder for your Headset, see Attachment

Root required! Just copy both .xml in /system/etc and overwrite. Set Permission to 644 (rw-r-r) and reboot