I'd like to install a Jelly Bean Mod please

Search This thread

the lemming

Feb 23, 2012
Hello again,

I would like to install the least buggy Jelly Bean ROM onto my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T. I have never rooted my Tablet before and I am on the latest OTA update by ASUS

Android Version 4.2.1
Build JOP40D.WW_epad-10.6.1.27.5-20130902

I very much would appreciate some hand holding on this whole process. I have signed up to the CyanogenMod website but as yet not had any replies.

I don't really know what ROM to go for as its a minefield, but I would like the most stable Jelly Bean version. Not too keen on moving over to Kit Kat yet.

I have never done this before and I have quite a bit of trepidation about the whole process but as it is, my official ASUS Jelly Bean operating system is laggy and the battery drain is exceptionally noticeable. The tablet can drain empty on Stand By within a couple of days. I have tried all the tricks to extend battery life, including charging Tablet and battery spereately, Cold Boots and Fresh installs but nothing helps.

Cheers

f69m

Feb 24, 2013
Munich
I don't really know what ROM to go for as its a minefield, but I would like the most stable Jelly Bean version. Not too keen on moving over to Kit Kat yet.
If you ask 5 people about this you will get at least 10 opinions... :)
I choose not to vote on that part of your question.

I have never done this before and I have quite a bit of trepidation about the whole process
The most important point is to select the right recovery version for your bootloader/ROM. As you are going to install a 4.2 ROM, I suggest TWRP 2.5.0.0-42. Not the latest, but proven and stable. Make sure to pick the -42 version matching your bootloader. The next point is: don't use the wipe data option on the bootloader screen, but use the wipe options in recovery instead.
If you follow these two points, you avoid most of the issues that get reported over and over again.

Sent from my TF300T using Tapatalk

the lemming

Feb 23, 2012
The most important point is to select the right recovery version for your bootloader/ROM. As you are going to install a 4.2 ROM, I suggest TWRP 2.5.0.0-42. Not the latest, but proven and stable. Make sure to pick the -42 version matching your bootloader. The next point is: don't use the wipe data option on the bootloader screen, but use the wipe options in recovery instead.
If you follow these two points, you avoid most of the issues that get reported over and over again.

Hello

Thank you for replying. I am very green at all this and I don't want to mess things up. You mention getting a matching boot loader. How do I check what bootloader I posses and where do I find the correct stuff?

I now next to nothing about this process other than bricking my Samsung Ace phone a year ago and I have not dabbled in this since then. I am willing to get my hands dirty but I want to know how to get out of trouble should I do something stupid, which will most definitely happen.

Are you able to post a link to a tutorial that will help me out?

Cheers

f69m

Feb 24, 2013
Munich
Thank you for replying. I am very green at all this and I don't want to mess things up. You mention getting a matching boot loader. How do I check what bootloader I posses and where do I find the correct stuff?
You can see the version of your bootloader at the top left of the bootloader screen. It should match the last Asus stock ROM version you installed: 10.6.1.27.5 in your case. This is the latest bootloader available and should work fine with all up-to-date 4.2 ROMs. Read the first post carefully, it should mention, which bootloader versions are supported. No nee to update.
Note that flashing custom ROMs will not touch your existing bootloader.

I now next to nothing about this process other than bricking my Samsung Ace phone a year ago and I have not dabbled in this since then. I am willing to get my hands dirty but I want to know how to get out of trouble should I do something stupid, which will most definitely happen.
Have a look at nvflash flatline for your bootloader 4.2. It allows you to extract some files from your device. If you keep those safe, you are almost brick-safe, as you can then use nvflash to recover your tablet from most known issues.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2545610

Are you able to post a link tersion o a tutorial that will help me out?
I am not aware of a guide specifically for flashing custom ROMs, but most ROMs should have good instructions in the first post. Anyhow, you can browse the stickies in the General forum. They have a lot of good information.