[DISCUSSION] on the boot loader [CRACKED!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Indirect

Mar 25, 2011
Florida
Alright, now that Adamoutler finally posted (I was waiting on that) I can now explain what we're going to try to do. You all know the unbrickable mod for a few samsung devices? The guy who did that wants to help us out but he needs a nook tablet. Anyway, what it does is completely disable hardware security and allows the flashing of a new bootloader. That's about as simple as I can make it. I would love to see this happen so hopefully, we can make it.

Question is, who's giving up a tablet?

Note:
Code:
This is not a thread to come in and complain saying that you're going to take it back. That's not our problem nor is it our concern. We need a place where we can have organized information about the bootloader and you telling us "I HATE IT, I need to return it!" doesn't help that.

Last edited:

liquidzoo

Mar 17, 2010
Florence, AZ
If someone (me) wanted to get involved in this, how would I go about doing so? I know enough about linux, but nothing about Android programming. Is there somewhere I can start learning? I'd like to contribute to this if I am able.

boomn

Feb 2, 2011
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1366215
+
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1378919
I think you can through the service mode to replace the keys which the employee to sign the firmware and tested.

According to information from TI about the M-Shield security features of this chip, the "secure on-chip keys (E-Fuse) are OEM-specific, one-time-programmable keys accessible only from inside the secure environment for authentication and encryption". Protecting against that kind of key replacement is a big part of how this chip was designed. Finding out the private is likely to be the only way to create valid signed images of our own

Here is the source for that quote.

Last edited:

nookabee

Dec 5, 2011
Botnets are typically used under illegal reasons / methods. Im not talking about seti@home, im talking about stormworm, etc.

Sent by breaking the sound barrier

I know what you mean, but what _I_ mean is that botnets CAN be used for other things than illegal hacking and malicious intent. They can replace a supercomputer, as Seti@home proves. I think I have seen a similar initiatives for cancer research and DNA research, though I don't know the names of those projects.

AndrewTL

Nov 23, 2011
notes

Hopefully this doesn't lead to any red herrings. I haven't been looking at this stuff very long.

"arm.com" has some info on the processor.
TI licensed the processor design from ARM. It's an ASIC, not really a cpu chip.
You have to agree to a non-disclosure to see the docs on arm.com.
After reading about it, not sure that the dual cpu is actually getting used like folks think. There may be two systems actually running.
The arm docs hint that it may be the hash key that actually gets stored on the asic not a private key and that there may be more than one. TI may have designed in their own protocol which is the M-Shield trademark.
TI doesn't exactly give out much info on it. The ARM site is a lot more informative. It doesn't cost anything to access it other than giving away your email address and agreeing to the nondisclosure.
In particular look for these documents:
DDI0406C_arm_architecture_reference_manual.pdf
DEN0013B_cortex_a_series_PG.pdf (chapter 26)
PRD29-GENC-009492C_trustzone_security_whitepaper.pdf

You can also review the source code for the tablet.
See the following exerpts:

distro\x-loader\lib\board.c
image.image = 2;
image.val = 99;
SEC_ENTRY_Std_Ppa_Call ( PPA_SERV_HAL_BN_CHK , 1 , &image );
if ( image.val == 0 )
{
/* go run U-Boot and never return */
printf("Starting OS Bootloader from %s ...\n", boot_dev_name);
((init_fnc_t *)CFG_LOADADDR)();
}

distro\u-boot\common\cmd_bootm.c
function do_bootm

U32 SEC_ENTRY_Std_Ppa_Call (U32 appl_id, U32 inNbArg, ...);
\x-loader\board\omap4430sdp\omap4430sdp.c

There are several calls to the SEC_ENTRY_Std_Ppa_Call function.
One (or two) for each image block being loaded.
I think these are the calls to the security layer..
SEC_ENTRY_Std_Ppa_Call ( PPA_SERV_HAL_BN_CHK ,...

They took the crc32 validation out in various places in the code. I suspect that if it is a signed key that if the image doesn't process out to the end key, then the crc2 would have failed anyway.
Has anyone actually checked what the "key" is? Could it be a crc or checksum?

The "_BN_" I assume is for barnes and noble.

Looking at "omap4_hs.h", it looks like that function can do a callback into the secure area and execute up to 32 different functions, though I'm guessing from the list in the file that BN only added two - INIT and CHK.
There is also a reference in that file to "Development CEK". Could this be the private key? Not the hash, just one part of the key? I'm by no means up on crypto algorithms.

/*
Defines from MShield-DK 1.2.0 api_ppa_ref.h
Make sure these align with the existing services in PPA.
*/
// Number of APIs
#define NB_MAX_API_HAL 32

// command / api keys
PPA_SERV_HAL_CPAUTOLOAD
PPA_SERV_HAL_CPINIT
PPA_SERV_HAL_CPSWRV
PPA_SERV_HAL_CPMSV
PPA_SERV_HAL_CPREPORT
PPA_SERV_HAL_CPCEK
PPA_SERV_HAL_TEST_API
PPA_SERV_HAL_BN_INIT
PPA_SERV_HAL_BN_CHK

/* Development CEK */
#define CEK_3 0x01234567 //127_96
#define CEK_2 0x89ABCDEF // 95_64
#define CEK_1 0x11121314 // 63_32
#define CEK_0 0x15161718 // 31_0

Another question I have, what level of GPL does android use?
The simple fact that they linked in the M-Shield function calls may be enough to force the release of that source as well. The latest GPL has a pretty nasty copy left. It may be in that archive already too. I haven't gotten through much of it yet.

And is it true that this tablet has a different wifi chip and thus doesn't have the fm and bluetooth available to it?

The brute force idea might work except that you'd have to do it on a nook tablet. You have to validate a data block using that function call.
Figuring out how to automate it through that security layer might be a bit troublesome. If you could call that function directly, maybe, but I suspect that it is only accessible from one side of the architecture. But that might also be why the tablet has so much memory dedicated to B&N and not split evenly. Maybe the bigger chunk of the memory is all in the secure side?

I have to say the OMAP4 is a pretty neat layout. Has a huge potential for corporate ethical abuse but technically it really is cool. They are going through a lot of hoops to keep this tablet locked down. I found one whitepaper on the netflix issue. Netflix apparently has a whole massive requirements list and this was the first tablet to meet it. I'm not sure netflix isn't overvaluing their product. There are other ways they could have done this versus locking the whole tablet down. They could have put the netflix app as a service in the secure side and just signed that part of the application. They could have still allowed the secondary bootloader in the unsecure area to be whatever the user wanted. I don't think they thought through the ethical notions of it all. But maybe they did and they just want to control something like apple is doing. Apple was defeated once by a lower cost, open architecture. History will repeat itself. It's a shame B&N's didn't go that route instead. If it wasn't for this one issue, they would have had a much better platform to work from than the fire.

B

bx19

Asking others for the info / ideas on bootloader isn't related to development. Hence moved to general :)
cheers,

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
I've been sitting back watching this thread for a while now. It's time to stop this foolishness. First off, the first post was started with absolutely no information.. basically 'you know what would be cool?'.. then the rest of the discussion has been a bunch of randomness. Why has not a single person mentioned the datasheets for the processor or memory? Why has Boone posted a memory dump of IROM? This thread contains nothing useful.

UnBrickable mod is the way to go. Put a device in my hands and ill enable it to boot from USB or sdcard. The device uses a hardware initiates boot chain. This chain can be broken at the hardware level.

This is an omap4430 device right?

Give me a device. Rebellos and I will locate the boot mode 5 pin which unlocks the boot from one NAND. We will then require an interceptor bootloader which is where Rebellos specializes. Once we hardware unlock the device and the interceptor bootloader is in place, the device will accept an insecure bootloader flash.

Indirect

Mar 25, 2011
Florida
Adam, I can try and get you a nook tablet.

Also, I was waiting for you to post that. I wanted to leave this up to the community to see what could be thought of. Surprised hardware modification never came up. :|

Last edited:

Loglud

Jul 29, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I've been sitting back watching this thread for a while now. It's time to stop this foolishness. First off, the first post was started with absolutely no information.. basically 'you know what would be cool?'.. then the rest of the discussion has been a bunch of randomness. Why has not a single person mentioned the datasheets for the processor or memory? Why has Boone posted a memory dump of IROM? This thread contains nothing useful.

UnBrickable mod is the way to go. Put a device in my hands and ill enable it to boot from USB or sdcard. The device uses a hardware initiates boot chain. This chain can be broken at the hardware level.

Give me a device. Rebellos and I will locate the boot mode 5 pin which unlocks the boot from one NAND. We will then require an interceptor bootloader which is where Rebellos specializes. Once we hardware unlock the device and the interceptor bootloader is in place, the device will accept an insecure bootloader flash.

I figured youd be here when the final specs on the Nexus Prime were released, and they used the OMAP4460 which is ironically very simmalir to the OMAP4430.
Thanks for your help and let us know if theres anything we can help you with.

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin

I'm curious what you're getting at here.

SYSBOOT[5] selects between boot lists that put external type devices first and internal type devices first. I don't have a NT anymore, but I suspect the boot list is 0b010110, or USB->UART->MMC1->MMC2. Setting SYSBOOT[5] high would change the order to MMC2->USB->UART->MMC1.

All the above boot modes, and all others requiring a config header will need to pass the signature check before the OMAP will boot it.

The only boot mode that doesn't do config header checks is fast external boot (NORflash style), and the TRM has this to say:

The fast external boot is a special memory booting mode, possible only on GP devices. It consists of a blind jump to a code in an external XIP memory device connected to GPMC CS0. Fast external booting is set up by means of the SYSBOOT configuration pins and lets customers create their own booting code.

Not applicable of course since this is an HS part, and it would be painful to wire up external memory to boot this way.

Now, if you were to strip out the secure headers from the MLO and u-boot and throw them on a GP 4430 platform like a Pandaboard, you could start hunting for an attack. I can't remember if this u-boot reads any variables from unsecured parts of the flash, but if so there might be some buffer overflow magic waiting to happen.

Not trying to crap on your plans, just making sure you know the score before you commit to this.

DeanGibson

Apr 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
Hardware mod

Can this in fact be replicated by someone who is NOT necessarily a dev, but isn't afraid of cracking open a device and going to work with a soldering iron?
It depends ...

Assuming for the purpose of discussion that all you need to do is (un)ground an external pin, the difficulty can range from:
  • Getting access to a ball-grid-array device on a multi-layer board (effectively impossible).
  • Lifting a pin on a surface-mount chip (easy with the right tools and some skill).
  • Cutting a trace or soldering a jumper (easy with the right tools and some skill).
  • (Un)grounding at a solder pad pair (easy).
While the last is not likely, it happens. A case in point:

When IBM released a parallel port board for the original IBM PC, they also released the schematic in the technical reference manual for the PC. The schematic showed that the data buffer buffer chip was bidirectional (74LS374), but its ^OE (output-enable) pin was grounded (active-low logic), in effect making the parallel port output-only.

When the clone-makers replicated the parallel port from the IBM schematic, they all replaced the 74LS374 chip with one that was not bidirectional (a 74LS274, as I recall), saving a tiny bit of money.

However, you you actually had one of IBM's parallel port cards, you noticed that the ground trace on the 74LS374 was not grounded next to the chip (as would normally be expected), but ran a couple inches across the board to a "via", and then grounded in a short trace run. That "via" was exactly 0.1" away from another "via" that was connected to an "unused" bit on the control chip. In other words, a simple trace cut of the final ground run, followed by the installation of standard 0.1' spacing header pins (or a simple jumper) at the "via"s, would convert the parallel port to be bidirectional. Which I did at the time.

Several years later, when IBM modified their BIOS to support bidirectional parallel port operation, they introduced a new parallel port card. The above modification to the old ones worked, but all the clone parallel cards were obsolete.

So, I would not put it outside the realm of possibility that B&N provided a solder pad to be able to disable the signed bootloader feature.

I would also not put it outside the realm of possibility that instead, the hardware modification is very, very difficult, even with the right tools.

Then there is the software issue still to be fixed. Certainly worthy of investigation, but don't get your hopes too high (especially before Christmas).

Last edited:

Loglud

Jul 29, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro
The best way to think of this hardware unlock, is that the nook is like a building, there are lots of rooms we can get into, but there are also rooms that we cannot. What I assume is adam will get into those rooms, and there might be ways to turn off the power to certain rooms, and or put something in the water. This might allow us to make a software mod that will effect the rooms :p.
rooms :p.

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
I'm curious what you're getting at here.

SYSBOOT[5] selects between boot lists that put external type devices first and internal type devices first. I don't have a NT anymore, but I suspect the boot list is 0b010110, or USB->UART->MMC1->MMC2. Setting SYSBOOT[5] high would change the order to MMC2->USB->UART->MMC1.

All the above boot modes, and all others requiring a config header will need to pass the signature check before the OMAP will boot it.

The only boot mode that doesn't do config header checks is fast external boot (NORflash style), and the TRM has this to say:

Not applicable of course since this is an HS part, and it would be painful to wire up external memory to boot this way.

Now, if you were to strip out the secure headers from the MLO and u-boot and throw them on a GP 4430 platform like a Pandaboard, you could start hunting for an attack. I can't remember if this u-boot reads any variables from unsecured parts of the flash, but if so there might be some buffer overflow magic waiting to happen.

Not trying to crap on your plans, just making sure you know the score before you commit to this.

I know the score. We had the same problem to deal with on the Hummingbird processor. What we ended up doing is exploiting a memory jump and redirecting the boot sequence. Rebellos can explain the inner working of the Hummingbird Interceptor Bootloader. Performing a total secure boot would tax the processor greatly and I believe that they likely just have a check in place on the first few bytes. It is possible to modify a bootloader to jump to a memory location which is unsecure. Using this technique, it may be possible to run Galaxy Nexus bootloader or Kindle bootloaders on the device.

So, lets get started with a IROM dump.

I need someone with a rooted device to get a memory dump for me please. This will be a snapshot of the live memory running on the device.

in order to do this:
This will place two 48kb (or 0xC000 in hexidecimal length) files on your sdcard called ########Dump. Put these files onto your desktop into a zip form and upload them here.

I need both of these dumps because the processor manual has an obvious error in it... So I'm asking for the values for the 4460 processor as documented and the 4430 processor which may be the same... however they are documented differently.

These are Internal ROM boot dumps. They are important to figure out what is going on inside a on boot up and may reveal secrets. I'll try to get some strings and other data from these dumps and then I'll pass them over to Rebellos for analysis.

Reactions: Drewmungus

Loglud

Jul 29, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I know the score. We had the same problem to deal with on the Hummingbird processor. What we ended up doing is exploiting a memory jump and redirecting the boot sequence. Rebellos can explain the inner working of the Hummingbird Interceptor Bootloader. Performing a total secure boot would tax the processor greatly and I believe that they likely just have a check in place on the first few bytes. It is possible to modify a bootloader to jump to a memory location which is unsecure. Using this technique, it may be possible to run Galaxy Nexus bootloader or Kindle bootloaders on the device.

So, lets get started with a IROM dump.

I need someone with a rooted device to get a memory dump for me please. This will be a snapshot of the live memory running on the device.

in order to do this:
This will place two 48kb (or 0xC000 in hexidecimal length) files on your sdcard called ########Dump. Put these files onto your desktop into a zip form and upload them here.

I need both of these dumps because the processor manual has an obvious error in it... So I'm asking for the values for the 4460 processor as documented and the 4430 processor which may be the same... however they are documented differently.

These are Internal ROM boot dumps. They are important to figure out what is going on inside a on boot up and may reveal secrets. I'll try to get some strings and other data from these dumps and then I'll pass them over to Rebellos for analysis.

Adam,
If no one has done this by the time i get home, I will do it for you. I will be on IRC tonight for some of the night and will be able to do whatever you need.

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
I'm seeing the following strings in the boot dumps:
Code:
pGpGpGpG
@ABCDEGKJ
CHMMCSD
CHFLASH
CHRAM
PRIMAPP
X-LOADER
CHSETTINGS
KEYS
ISSW
It's not much to go on, but I'd expect to see something on UART from this.

Both of the files are the same. 49.2kB. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15069134/40028000Dump.zip

however, those are just the complete strings... there's more..

Code:
Texas Instruments
Nokia
Motorola
OMAP4430
NOKIA USB ROM
BLANK
OMAP4430 N/A
N/A
PCB
PCI
R&D
2nd
CH
HLO
MLO
ULO
This NOKIA USB ROM looks interesting.

Reactions: Indirect

Loglud

Jul 29, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro
That's so strange i wonder what it is pointing to because from what i see there's no a single Nokia part in the entire device. You think its just the rom driver they use to flash the OMAP's Rom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    u-boot from sdcard was sucessful.

Code:
    Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.41 (Oct 21 2011 - 14:00:05)
    Start not on PWRON, skipping power button check.
    Starting OS Bootloader from MMC/SD1 ...

U-Boot 1.1.4-acclaim1.4_1.4.0.1029^{} (Nov 11 2011 - 12:34:20)

Load address: 0x80e80000
    DRAM:  1024 MB
    Using default environment

In:    serial
    Out:   serial
    Err:   serial
    hw_status 0x23 vbus_status 0x80
    MAX17042+UBOOT: battery type=LG
    MAX17042+UBOOT: gas gauge detected (0x0002)
    MAX17042_STATUS (00h) is 0x0002
    MAX17042+UBOOT:  BATTERY      Detected!
    MAX17042+UBOOT:POR detected!
     No valid max17042 init data found, assume no battery history 
    MAX17042_Version (21h) is 0x0092
    MAX17042_DesignCap (18h) is 0x07d0
    MAX17042_OCV (fbh) is 0xbd34
    MAX17042_FSTAT (fdh) is 0x3950
    MAX17042_SOCvf (ffh) is 0x2245
    uboot verify: 1d CONFIG is 2210 ; should be 2210 & 0xFDFB
    uboot verify: 2a RELAXCFG is 083b ; should be 083b
    uboot verify: 29 FILTERCFG is 87a4 ; should be 87a4
    uboot verify: 28 LEARNCFG is 2406 ; should be 2406 & 0xFF0F
    uboot verify: 18 DesignCap is 07d0 ; should be 205c
    max17042_write_custom_para: use hardcoded values
    ICHGTerm = 0x0140
     use hardcoded Capacity 0x205c
    VFSOC = 0x2930
    fullcap0=0x2067 VFSOC=0x2930 remcap=0x0d58
    STATUS = 0x0002 -- clearing POR
    MAX17042_STATUS (00h) is 0x0000
    Max17042 init is done
    SOC 41%, booting.
    Board revision PVT
    Booting from sd
    Autobooting in 0 seconds, press <SPACE> to stop...

** Unable to read "flashing_boot.img" from mmc 0:1 **
    booti: bad boot image magic
    OMAP44XX SDP #

A couple more steps and we won't need to worry about concequences...

Code:
    Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.41 (Oct 21 2011 - 14:00:05)
    Start not on PWRON, skipping power button check.
    Starting OS Bootloader from MMC/SD1 ...

U-Boot 1.1.4-acclaim1.4_1.4.0.1029^{} (Nov 11 2011 - 12:34:20)

Load address: 0x80e80000
    DRAM:  1024 MB
    Using default environment

In:    serial
    Out:   serial
    Err:   serial
    hw_status 0x23 vbus_status 0x80
    MAX17042+UBOOT: battery type=LG
    MAX17042+UBOOT: gas gauge detected (0x0002)
    MAX17042+UBOOT:  BATTERY      Detected!
    MAX17042+UBOOT:POR detected!
     No valid max17042 init data found, assume no battery history 
    MAX17042_Version (21h) is 0x0092
    MAX17042_DesignCap (18h) is 0x07d0
    MAX17042_OCV (fbh) is 0xbd3e
    MAX17042_FSTAT (fdh) is 0x3950
    MAX17042_SOCvf (ffh) is 0x2245
    uboot verify: 1d CONFIG is 2210 ; should be 2210 & 0xFDFB
    uboot verify: 2a RELAXCFG is 083b ; should be 083b
    uboot verify: 29 FILTERCFG is 87a4 ; should be 87a4
    uboot verify: 28 LEARNCFG is 2406 ; should be 2406 & 0xFF0F
    uboot verify: 18 DesignCap is 07d0 ; should be 205c
    max17042_write_custom_para: use hardcoded values
    ICHGTerm = 0x0140
     use hardcoded Capacity 0x205c
    VFSOC = 0x2930
    Retry write 0x00a0 to reg 0x17
    fullcap0=0x2067 VFSOC=0x2930 remcap=0x0d58
    STATUS = 0x0002 -- clearing POR
    MAX17042_STATUS (00h) is 0x0000
    Max17042 init is done
    SOC 41%, booting.
    Board revision PVT
    Booting from sd
    Autobooting in 0 seconds, press <SPACE> to stop...

3203072 bytes read
    kernel   @ 80088000 (2682952)
    ramdisk  @ 81080000 (510447)
     Initrd start : 81080000 , Initrd end : 810fc8cfAcclaim Board.

Starting kernel ...

and... flashing_boot.img will boot the kernel. :)

Gentleman.. we have a total recovery option to test...

DIY comming:
    Format an SDCard.
    Grab acllaim_update.zip
    put these on the / folder of the sdcard.
    xLoader=MLO
    u-boot=u-boot.bin
    recovery.img=flashing_boot.img
    acclaim_update.zip

total boot from SDCard. This is wonderful. Now we can really begin screwing things up :)
    bootloader bypass in SW

Hello all,

I was poking around the nook source code and saw something interesting in u-boot. When it loads a kernel/ramdisk pair into RAM, it doesn't verify the load addresses in the header. That means that I can load 2 independent payloads into anywhere I want in RAM.

What I have done is this:
    * Created an SD card that the NT can boot from (contains MLO and signed u-boot.bin)
    * Compiled a new u-boot without security checks and a default bootcmd to load "boot.img" off the sd card - this is my "kernel"
    * created another payload which is designed to overwrite the stack so my new u-boot is called - this is my "ramdisk"
    * packaged my "kernel" and "ramdisk" into an Android image and named it "flashing_boot.img" on my SD card
    * boot my nook & see my (unsigned) u-boot take over the universe

(Note: my NT only tries to boot off of the SD card when it's USB is plugged in. is that expected?)

Try out a sample run with this flashing_boot.img. You should be able to unpack the original boot.img, change stuff, repack it, and boot it. I haven't tried that far myself though.

dl.dropbox.com/u/40331061/flashing_boot.img

I have other goodies too but the forum won't let me post links. boooooo.
    u-boot exploit source code

I forked the NT source code repository on github and checked in the changes needed to build a 2nd u-boot.

So now you guys can build your own flashing_boot.img to boot unsigned code off of the SD card. The approach I used is modifiable to boot off the internal flash as well.

Instructions:
    git clone git://github.com/bauwks/Nook-Tablet.git
    cd Nook-Tablet/distro/u-boot
    git checkout second-uboot
    PATH=/usr/local/arm-2010q1/bin:$PATH (must have installed an ARM toolchain)
    make nt2ndboot_sd_config
    ./tools/build_nt_2ndboot_img.py -o test.img u-boot.bin
    (mount nook SD card on /media/boot)
    cp test.img /media/boot/flashing_boot.img

Then you can create a boot.img without the 288 byte security headers before the kernel & ramdisk, then place it on /media/boot/boot.img

You'll see an extra splash screen on boot. That is the extra bootloader.

Can you zip up what you have so far and upload it to multiupload.com? I just want to learn and follow the steps. :)
    CWM thanks to 2nduboot

So just as a proof of concept and working towards ROM freedom here is the Nook Tablet running CWM.

If you guys follow my twitter you will see I had a picture of CWM running on this before. Before I was booting the signed kernel+ramdisk and after rooting the system killing everything and then starting cwm manually. It didn't work that well and required some 2ndinit and other hacks to get working and due to the NookTablet there was still a lot of work and that why you never saw anything.

Now with bauwks new found "hole" in the bootloader we can run native recovery and start working towards CM9 and beyond!.

And with that I am going to bed.