[GUIDE] NTFS READ/WRITE for SDCARD and USB OTG ! UPDATED 21-JAN-2012 !!!

Search This thread

PROTOCHIP

Nov 2, 2005
Dear Friends,

I tried now with a USB stick format ntfs
1) I inserted the file ntfs-3g for GS2 in /system/bin with the proper permissions
2) Reboot
3)Then I inserted the usb stick with the otg cable into the phone, so I typed from the terminal emulator:

su
insmod /lib/modules/fuse.ko
ntfs-3g /dev/block/sda1 /mnt/usb

And now the usb stick can be read and written

AbyssNote Kernel developer " angelom " pointed us solution for read/write ntfs for formatted usb stick and i apply it for sdcard and both works flawlessly !!!! Thanks angelom...

Some Tests:

** After mounting sdcard as read/write ntfs, camera app also can be able to record photos and videos to ntfs...

** Watching movies over 4 gb size is not a problem anymore. 1080p Mkvs with no lag at all...

** Most of the 3rd Party apps recognize ntfs formatted sdcard like it is fat32...

** Stock Video Player dont see NTFS so i use BSPLAYER LITE ( best for mkv on note ) OR MX VIDEO PLAYER !!! ( U can use ES file explorer to play videos with stock video player )

** Stock app like gallery dont see the files in ntfs sdcard... Quickpic app also doesnt work with ntfs formatted sd card...
PERFECT VIEWER CAN DISPLAY IMAGES AVAILABLE FROM NTFS SDCARD.... ( THANKS BROTBUEXE)

** You can use free apps like MyMusicOn or MixZing Basic to play music files which are in ntfs formatted sdcard...

** We have to repeat steps 4 and 5 after every reboot. Gscript lite app helps here so much with its shortcuts...

** We have to repeat steps 4 and 5 after using usb mass storage mode...

** Ntfs formatted sdcard also is recognized by windows when Gnote is using usb mass storage mode...

** I am getting very low transfer speed for small files in windows when Gnote is using usb mass storage mode... for big files it is as fast as Fat32...

My config:

MySAM ed.1 Rom
Abyss V2.5 Kernel
32 gb class4 SDCard

How to: READ/WRITE NTFS

1- Flash Abyssnote Kernel - Latest Version : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1362424
2- Format sdcard to ntfs in windows and plug it to phone.
3- Power on phone and GNote will recognize ntfs formatted sdcard as blank sd.
4- Download ntfs-3g.zip from attachment...
4- Extract zip and copy " ntfs-3g " to /system/bin/
5- Reboot
6- Install Terminal Emulator from market.
7- Enter these lines in terminal emulator. ( insmod commands are optional for abyssnote kernel since they are loaded automatically but for other kernels u have to use insmod commands )

a- To mount ntfs formatted sdcard

su
chmod 755 /system/bin/ntfs-3g
ntfs-3g /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /mnt/sdcard/external_sd
vold

b- To mount ntfs formatted usb hdd or usb stick

su
vold

or create a newfolder named usb in internal sdcard

su
ntfs-3g /dev/block/sda1 /mnt/sdcard/usb
vold

5- now goto settings-storage and select mount sdcard ( only for sdcard not usb stick )

6- now your ntfs formatted sdcard or usb memory stick should be recognized by system as read/write

7- After every reboot u have to repeat steps 4 and 5 !!!

8- To unmount usb hdd:

a- Run Terminal Emulator
b- Enter This line:

su

umount -l -f /mnt/usb

umount -l -f /mnt/sdcard/usb

c- now your usb hdd is unmounted.
d- You can safely remove it from otg cable.

** You can download "Gscript Lite" from market and create these scripts as shortcuts in your home screen so u dont have to enter line every time after reboot... ( Market - Free )

** Use "Autostart" app or "script manager" app to run script on boot... ( Market - Free )

** Use "elixir 2 widgets" app or " any cut " app to create a shortcut directly on home screen to settings-storage... ( Market - Free )

*** UPDATE 10-JAN-2012

I realized that after executing ntfs-3g , our ntfs formatted card is automatically mounted by the system even it says Blank SD in notification page... No need to go to settings-storage-mount sd card...

So if the blank sd message in noti. doesnt bother us, then no need to look for how to mount ntfs sd automatically... It is already mounted... :)

I use script manager to load the ntfs-3g script during boot and thats it... After boot i use my ntfs formatted card...

*** UPDATE 21-JAN-2012

While trying to get rid of blank sd noti, after running vold command, noti has gone, surprisingly...

No more " Blank SDCARD " or " Blank Usb Storage " in the notification bar.

Simply add " vold " command to end of script

After reboot "blank sd" noti will gone...

vold command remounts all storage.

Dont bother even settings-storage shows sdcard as unavailable since it is already mounted and recognized by the system...

Hope this helps,

THANKS GOES TO angelom, The_Steph, brotbuexe and to all who i forgot to mention....

Kind Regards,

ONLY AMIGA MAKES IT POSSIBLE !!!

Attachments

• ntfs-3g.zip
    920.3 KB · Views: 3,462
Last edited:

PROTOCHIP

Nov 2, 2005
Dear Friends,

Here is some info for read/write ntfs by fuse.ko module and ntfs-3g driver for GalaxyS2 but they failed to run in G-note when i try in terminal emulator...

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=15001824&postcount=23

I hope someone may recompile fuse.ko for G-Note so we can use ntfs as read/write ... I dont know whether kernels has to be patched for fuse.ko support or not...

********** OLD INFO for READONLY NTFS as REFERANCE - OUTDATED !!!

I have managed to read ntfs for both ex.sdcard ( tested ) and usb otg devices ( not tested )... Needs ROOT ! Ntfs Read Only !

I wish some devs recompile ntfs.ko module as read/write so we can use all time ntfs formatted ex.sdcards...

Sdcard method is tested by me and i have watched 10 gb " last samurai " 1080P mkv movie with mx player flawlessly...

I dont have a usb otg cable so i couldnt test usb hdd or usb stick but i guess they will work, too. ( your feedback is needed here )

All Info is collected from xda forums. Combined and tested by me for G-Note...

My config:

MySAM ed.1 Rom
Abyss V2.5 Kernel
32 gb SDCard

How to: READONLY NTFS

1- Format sdcard to ntfs in windows and plug it to phone.
2- Power on phone and GNote will recognize ntfs formatted sdcard as blank sd.
3- Install Terminal Emulator from market.
4- Enter these lines in terminal emulator.

su

insmod /lib/modules/ntfs.ko
mount -o umask=000 -t ntfs /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /mnt/sdcard/external_sd

su

insmod /lib/modules/ntfs.ko
mount -o umask=000 -t ntfs /dev/block/sda1 /mnt/usb

5- now goto settings-storage and select mount sdcard

6- now your ntfs formatted sdcard should be recognized by system as external_sd but READONLY. You can play full size mkv movies...

To unmount usb hdd:

1- Run Terminal Emulator
2- Enter This line:

su

umount -l -f /mnt/usb

3- now your usb hdd is unmounted.
4- You can safely remove it from otg cable.

** You can download "Gscript Lite" from market and create these scripts as shortcuts in your home screen...

Kind Regards,

Last edited:

The_Steph

Mar 20, 2007
Paris
PROTOCHIP,

I carefully read your posts but I don't understand where ntfs.ko comes from. I used MySam Ed and AbyssNote kernel (I am on KL7 now) and I did not manage to understand where that ntfs.ko modules is. I saw your posts with angelom on AbyssNote thread but the question still remains.

Can you explain where it is from and if, for instance I could use it with another kernels ?

As I have ordered a 64 micro SDXC card for my toy, I really expect to be able to see films in HD with being bothered by file size. And if it is possible to have a read/write access to the card, it would be really amazing.

Thanks in advance for the upcoming info on the subject.

PROTOCHIP

Nov 2, 2005
Dear The_Steph,

Actually i dont know where the file comes from but after flashing MySAM rom to phone, ntfs.ko is located in /lib/modules/ ... In case it is needed, i have enclosed the file here ... You can copy it to /lib/modules/ and try with other kernels... I tested it by Abyss but for ChainFire kernel and FM Kernel, i didnt test it...

My sdcard is class4 32 gb and watching Last Samurai as 1080p mkv from ntfs formatted sdcard is amazing... The mkv file is around 10.2 gb...

For ntfs read/write ; there is another module called fuse.ko and driver called ntfs-3g but as far as i know these modules have to be recompiled for our kernels...

Hope this helps,

Kind Regards,

Attachments

• ntfsko.zip
    70.1 KB · Views: 561
Last edited:

The_Steph

Mar 20, 2007
Paris
PROTOCHIP,

It is not in stock KL7 ROM and does not seems to be in MySam too. I read the post you linked. I understand now a bit more.

As I am planning to move to XtraLiteRom from Cassie today, I will try to do some tests tomorrow using the ntfs.ko and above 4GB files. I'll reports afterwards.

As you stated, maybe read/write library can be recompiled for the SGN.

It it is possible it would be awesome. Hopefully, a master in modules compilation will see this thread :)

Edit: I hope I helped a bit posting reference to this thread in RiverSource kernel thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jip-Hop

angelom

May 2, 2006
1) I inserted the file ntfs-3g for GS2 in /system/bin with the proper permissions
2) Reboot
3)Then I inserted the usb stick with the otg cable into the phone, so I typed from the terminal emulator:

su

Last edited:

PROTOCHIP

Nov 2, 2005
2) Reboot

su

Dear angelom,

Thats great... Gonna try it again... Thanks...

EDIT : It is working... THANKS... GUIDE AND TOPIC UPDATED !!!
Kind regards,

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Last edited:

The_Steph

Mar 20, 2007
Paris
As planned, I did some tests this morning with my Cassie's XtraLiteROM v5 (stock KL7 kernel) as I have a spare 16GB micro SDHC card.

I formatted my card in NTFS and put it in the slot. Rebooted my SGN and got the message as my SD Card is empty. So i plugged my SGN to my PC to see what was wrong with libraires.

First point, as I use Multimount SDCard, my internal memory and external SD card are automatically mounted when my SGN is connected via USB. Which make me realised that even if librairies were not working, the NTFS formatted card can be read/written by Windows even if the SGN is not able to read it.

Once that seen, I tried to do your step by step tutorial (which was not working because I initially forgot fuse.ko in /lib/modules) and got the following error message:
insmod: init_module '/lib/modules/fuse.ko' failed (Exec format error).

So I created a /sdcard/ntfs-3g/ folder and put fuse.ko in it as I saw on another thread but it did not work. I rebooted my SGN and found that what was working the first time (automatic mount of SD cards) did not work anymore. Strange.

Looking for clues on Google, it seems that fuse.ko needs to be compiled for the kernel magic number to properly start (CL823206 for XXKL7). So, two cases: we are lucky that the kernel magic number was the same as angelom base (what a luck), or angelom compiled the fuse.ko for his kernel magic number (likely).

So my question is now, did angelom compiled the fuse.ko file for his kernel?

Next steps for me are to move my KL7 kernel to angelom's and to automate the SDCard mounting process (I'm pretty sure a script in init.d could do the trick).

Last edited:

PROTOCHIP

Nov 2, 2005
Dear The_Steph,

Pls Follow the steps in the updated first post and the right files are also enclosed in the post. I guess u have to flash Abyss kernel... My Sdcard is now ntfs and even the camera app can read and write to it... Just woow... Now Watching 1080p Avatar movie... show off time !!!

Kind Regards,

PROTOCHIP

Nov 2, 2005
Other than the ability to use bigger size files, is there any advantage of using ntfs ?

THere are the new 64gb cards . was wondering if there would be any benefit in using them in ntfs

Dear drgopoos,

Main purpose is to be able to use larger files than 4 gb, other then i didnt realize any speed improvements regarding to my short time tests... Forum User " The_Steph " got a new 64 gb SDXC card and he is starting to test it with ntfs i guess... He will kindly report back soon...

Kind Regards,

Last edited:
Reactions: Techvir

The_Steph

Mar 20, 2007
Paris
My 64 card has been ordered at Amazon and it is planned to be delivered to my house the 4th of January.

As the SGN does have a big enough internal memory to store all daily files such as applications, pictures and data, my only aim using this modules is to be able to store HD movies on it (always bigger than 4GB) as I mainly use my SGN as an HD PMP during my daily commuting. I don't really care about the rest since as I said eearlier, it cans be hosted in the internal memory.

I am currently doing some tests with an old 16GB SD Card before my big jump to the 64GB world :D

I have now tests to do with AbyssNote 2.5 kernel then ;)

An aditional question, is you fuse.ko removed from /lib/modules each time you restart your SGN?

Last edited:

The_Steph

Mar 20, 2007
Paris
PROTOCHIP,

I think this then because of angelom that kindly added fuse.ko and ntfs.ko in the /lib/modules :)

Moved to angelom's AbyssNote 2.6 kernel and did your step by step procedure. Everything is now working perfectly :D

Next point is now how to automate it to automatically mount the card at Android startup and unmount it when shutting it down.

PROTOCHIP

Nov 2, 2005
Dear The_Steph,

Yeah these files must be related with the kernel itself... By the way, is abyss v2.6 released? I cant find it...

Kind Regards,

The_Steph

Mar 20, 2007
Paris
PROTOCHIP,

Did not look for AbyssNote 2.6 yet as I was working on automation.

BTW, I succeded in automation of launching script with autostart https://market.android.com/details?id=nk.bla.android.autostart.

Last point to do is finding the settings > mount SD card script line to finalise a complete NTFS formatted card mount script at start :)

Once done, I will create a CWM flashable file to ease the process.

jakiman

Nov 14, 2010
Here's my experience so far using stock KL7 deodexed ROM with Abyss kernel 2.5:

0. Firstly, I have a 32GB MicroSD card and I have successfully copied a 10gig 1080p MKV video file to it and played it without any issues on my Note thanks to this thread. THANK YOU heaps.

1. Using 'Script Manager' app, I can auto-run the script at bootup. But I still need to manually go to settings - storage and mount SD for it to be actually mounted. Is there a command to do this also at boot up via the same script? or is there no other way to mount it?

2. I noticed that all the video files in the \sdcard\external_sd are not seen by the media scanner. So the videos do not show up in Videos app and my favorite video player which is Act 1 Video player. (it just goes by the media scanner indexing and has no option to specify folders manually) Is there a way around this? or is this a limitation that is unavoidable?

3. I have no issues with connecting it as mass storage to my PC using USB cable and can copy files without any issues or speed loss to my MicroSD card. Awesome. (I get 11MB/sec consistent write to my Lexar 32GB class 10 card)

Anyways, overall, I'm super duper happy. =)
But yeah, solutions for #1 and #2 would make it perfect.

Last edited:

PROTOCHIP

Nov 2, 2005
Dear jakiman,

Thanks for the feedback...

1- We are all looking for a solution to mount automatically... At least in new abyss kernel V2.6, fuse.ko will be automatically loaded during startup so there will be no need to use it in scripts i guess...

Use Autostart app or script manager to run script on boot...
Use elixir 2 widgets app to create a shortcut directly to settings-storage...

2- Stock apps has problems recognizing ntfs files... We have to use 3rd party alternatives...
For videos i use mxplayer and bsplayer.. Bsplayer is much more smooth that make me shocked...
For photos neither stock nor 3rd party apps i tried could read ntfs files... So viewing photos from ntfs is still problem... i select the file with es file explorer and then choose gallery to show photo file from ntfs.... I copied all photo files to internal memory for a temporary solution...

3- My card is 32 gb class4 and that may be the problem for copying small files... For big files like movies i get 7 mb/s transfer rate with usb mass storage mode on windows7...

Kind Regards,

Sent from my GT-N7000

Last edited:
Reactions: jakiman

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear Friends,

2) Reboot

su

AbyssNote Kernel developer " angelom " pointed us solution for read/write ntfs for formatted usb stick and i apply it for sdcard and both works flawlessly !!!! Thanks angelom...

Some Tests:

** After mounting sdcard as read/write ntfs, camera app also can be able to record photos and videos to ntfs...

** Watching movies over 4 gb size is not a problem anymore. 1080p Mkvs with no lag at all...

** Most of the 3rd Party apps recognize ntfs formatted sdcard like it is fat32...

** Stock Video Player dont see NTFS so i use BSPLAYER LITE ( best for mkv on note ) OR MX VIDEO PLAYER !!! ( U can use ES file explorer to play videos with stock video player )

** Stock app like gallery dont see the files in ntfs sdcard... Quickpic app also doesnt work with ntfs formatted sd card...
    PERFECT VIEWER CAN DISPLAY IMAGES AVAILABLE FROM NTFS SDCARD.... ( THANKS BROTBUEXE)

** You can use free apps like MyMusicOn or MixZing Basic to play music files which are in ntfs formatted sdcard...

** We have to repeat steps 4 and 5 after every reboot. Gscript lite app helps here so much with its shortcuts...

** We have to repeat steps 4 and 5 after using usb mass storage mode...

** Ntfs formatted sdcard also is recognized by windows when Gnote is using usb mass storage mode...

** I am getting very low transfer speed for small files in windows when Gnote is using usb mass storage mode... for big files it is as fast as Fat32...

My config:

MySAM ed.1 Rom
    Abyss V2.5 Kernel
    32 gb class4 SDCard

How to: READ/WRITE NTFS

1- Flash Abyssnote Kernel - Latest Version : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1362424
    2- Format sdcard to ntfs in windows and plug it to phone.
    3- Power on phone and GNote will recognize ntfs formatted sdcard as blank sd.
    4- Download ntfs-3g.zip from attachment...
    4- Extract zip and copy " ntfs-3g " to /system/bin/
    5- Reboot
    6- Install Terminal Emulator from market.
    7- Enter these lines in terminal emulator. ( insmod commands are optional for abyssnote kernel since they are loaded automatically but for other kernels u have to use insmod commands )

su
    ntfs-3g /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /mnt/sdcard/external_sd
    vold

su
    vold

or create a newfolder named usb in internal sdcard

su
    vold

5- now goto settings-storage and select mount sdcard ( only for sdcard not usb stick )

6- now your ntfs formatted sdcard or usb memory stick should be recognized by system as read/write

7- After every reboot u have to repeat steps 4 and 5 !!!

8- To unmount usb hdd:

a- Run Terminal Emulator
    b- Enter This line:

su

umount -l -f /mnt/usb

umount -l -f /mnt/sdcard/usb

c- now your usb hdd is unmounted.
    d- You can safely remove it from otg cable.

** You can download "Gscript Lite" from market and create these scripts as shortcuts in your home screen so u dont have to enter line every time after reboot... ( Market - Free )

** Use "Autostart" app or "script manager" app to run script on boot... ( Market - Free )

** Use "elixir 2 widgets" app or " any cut " app to create a shortcut directly on home screen to settings-storage... ( Market - Free )

*** UPDATE 10-JAN-2012

I realized that after executing ntfs-3g , our ntfs formatted card is automatically mounted by the system even it says Blank SD in notification page... No need to go to settings-storage-mount sd card...

So if the blank sd message in noti. doesnt bother us, then no need to look for how to mount ntfs sd automatically... It is already mounted... :)

I use script manager to load the ntfs-3g script during boot and thats it... After boot i use my ntfs formatted card...

*** UPDATE 21-JAN-2012

While trying to get rid of blank sd noti, after running vold command, noti has gone, surprisingly...

No more " Blank SDCARD " or " Blank Usb Storage " in the notification bar.

vold command remounts all storage.

Dont bother even settings-storage shows sdcard as unavailable since it is already mounted and recognized by the system...

Hope this helps,

THANKS GOES TO angelom, The_Steph, brotbuexe and to all who i forgot to mention....

Kind Regards,

ONLY AMIGA MAKES IT POSSIBLE !!!
    Dear Friends,

UPDATE 21-JAN-2012

No more " Blank SDCARD " or " Blank Usb storage " in the notification bar.

vold command remounts all storage...

Hope this helps.

@The_Steph

Now we have full automated NTFS system... Cheersss !!!

Kind regards...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
    2) Reboot

su

Dear surgical,

First of all create a folder named "usb" in mnt/sdcard/ not in mnt/ ( second way in the guide )

You are using AbyssNote Kernel so no need to enter insmod command.

now:

1- plug in the usb otg cable to phone.
    2- plug usb flash to usb otb cable.
    3- wait till media scanner finishes and u see blank usb in the noti. bar.
    4- now enter

5- now ur usb flash must be recognized.
    6- If it is a usb hdd then it must be externally powered otherwise system cant handle its power.

7- you can also use vold command optionally to get rid of warning in noti. bar.

Hope all these helps.

Kind Regards.
    It works at last!

Many thanks and respect to PROTOCHIP and The_Steph

Everything is clear and it works at last.

Thank You both very much!!!