[how-to] remap genius key

Search This thread

falken98

Jun 11, 2010
1) Boot in to ClockworkMod Recovery
2) mount /system from partitions menu
3) adb pull /system/usr/keylayout/latte-keypad-v2.kl latte-keypad-v2.kl
4) Edit file locally, the genius key is: key 187 (make a backup of the original file first)
5) adb push latte-keypad-v2.kl /system/usr/keylayout/
6) Reboot

For more information on remapping keys see: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=695936

If you want the genius button remaped to ENDCALL (if on a call it will end the call, if not on a call it will lock the screen, if you hold it down it activates the power button menu) and don't won't to edit the file yourself you can download this premodified version, just place it in the directory you are running adb from and skip steps 3&4): http://www.4shared.com/file/ein06_25/latte-keypad-v2.html

Notes:
There is a slight hardware delay on the button press, so whatever you assign it to you need to hold the button for half a second just like with the current genius app.
It does not seem to be any easy task to be able to call an alternate application, for now, you can only reassign the key to something another key already does (letter/number, end call, power, volume, camera, etc.). I'm currently working on being able to call an alternate application.

Last edited:

HebrewToYou

Feb 9, 2010
1) Boot in to ClockworkMod Recovery
2) mount /system from partitions menu
3) adb pull /system/usr/keylayout/latte-keypad-v2.kl
4) Edit file locally, the genius key is: key 187
5) adb push /system/usr/keylayout/latte-keypad-v2.kl
6) Reboot

For more information on remapping keys see: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=695936
Well, how about that. Great find, falken98!

Complete aside: Is your handle taken from the movie "WarGames"? If so, awesome.

So what are people planning to map to this particular hardware key?

tubaking182

Mar 28, 2008
and would we easily be able to make this a end call/sleep key? if so what needs to be changed
glad you asked this, that is what i want my genius button to be and it bugs me that it's not since i hit it all the time when trying to hang up on people(came from G1 so that's where my button was) i will do this later

managed to switch fn and menu on hw keyboard, it was bugging me that i constantly hit menu when trying to hit fn(bad button planning by HTC) but now i have the keys where i want them may have to make a few changes later as well to other stuff(camera and focus should do something else)

Last edited:

fermunky

Jun 11, 2007
Tampa, FL
and would we easily be able to make this a end call/sleep key? if so what needs to be changed

This is actually working this way for me. If on a call, I can hold it for about half a second, it will end the call. Press it for half a second again, it will put it to sleep. If I press and hold the key, it will bring up the Power options menu. This is after I mapped key 187 to ENDCALL WAKE_DROPPED.

Edit: Also, I love "187" being the Genius key :)

Last edited:

falken98

Jun 11, 2010
This is actually working this way for me. If on a call, I can hold it for about half a second, it will end the call. Press it for half a second again, it will put it to sleep. If I press and hold the key, it will bring up the Power options menu. This is after I mapped key 187 to ENDCALL WAKE_DROPPED.

That does turn out rather well for that button! No more annoying "say a command". :)

android007

Feb 10, 2010
Great find man, I switched it to end call/dropped too and its working perfectly. If anyone figures out before I do to make it the sleep function please post.

falken98

Jun 11, 2010
FYI, after you remap the key it seems to be safe to go ahead and remove:
vsuite.apk, vsuite.odex, VSuiteApp.apk, VSuiteApp.odex
If you have no interest in the genius button function.

turboyo

Jun 23, 2009
Miami
what does the WAKE_DROPPED mean

btw when I pull the file where does it pull to? my sdcard or do I have to put a directory? Someone should just upload the stock file :)

Last edited:

falken98

Jun 11, 2010
what does the WAKE_DROPPED mean

WAKE: When this key is pressed while the device is asleep, the device will wake up and the key event gets sent to the app.
WAKE_DROPPED: When this key is pressed while the device is asleep, the device will wake up and the key event does not get sent to the app.

If we figure out how to put the device the sleep there would actually be a difference. :)

falken98

Jun 11, 2010
btw when I pull the file where does it pull to? my sdcard or do I have to put a directory? Someone should just upload the stock file :)

It pulls it to the computer you ran adb from (in the directory you are in), you then edit the file with a text editor and push it back up.
Since you have to edit the file and push it back you might as well just go ahead and pull it first, seems more annoying to try and download it first. :)

turboyo

Jun 23, 2009
Miami
Im getting the same thing with it just listing all the adb commands.. Ahh things like this were so much easier with SUFBS lol, all I would have to do is go to the directory and edit the file right in there