[DEV] XDA FaceBook App for WinMo

Do you think that this is a good idea?

• YES! Appubator, please do us a Facebook app.

Votes: 2,259 96.3%
  • No, it is useless.

Votes: 28 1.2%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 58 2.5%

• Total voters
Search This thread

gemues

Aug 9, 2010
after i "work" a little bit with version 4.0.1 i got an errormessage and the app closed :(!

...Please tell me, with which version i can answer messages and watch the friends images/ galleries ?

Thanx

Attachments

• ErrorLog.txt
    297 bytes · Views: 21

ToddeSwe

Dec 26, 2007
Alvesta
Swedish translation update!

Had a problem trying the URL copy thing, how does it work?

And how can we translate the main menu's icon text?
Or must someone make a (in my case) Swedish iconset?

Attachments

• Swedish.txt
    3.5 KB · Views: 8

joe_coolish

Retired Recognized Developer
Mar 26, 2010
American Fork
after i "work" a little bit with version 4.0.1 i got an errormessage and the app closed :(!

...Please tell me, with which version i can answer messages and watch the friends images/ galleries ?

Thanx

Thank you for the report :)
I think I should have all of those errors sorted out.

The next version will allow for images/ albums. I actually finished most of the album work last night! Pretty exciting :) I just need to figure out how to display the images....

I hope to have the next version (4.1) done by this weekend.

Had a problem trying the URL copy thing, how does it work?

And how can we translate the main menu's icon text?
Or must someone make a (in my case) Swedish iconset?

Thank you! I'm going to try and get as much done as far as GUI elements for the next couple of releases, so that there isn't a constant need for translation updates :D The next release will have a few but by ~4.5 I want to have 90% of the phrases done. But then again, who knows?!

"URL Copy thing" Are you talking about the button in the External Web Login? You need to copy the URL of the Success Browser page to the clipboard, and then the button will check the clipboard for a URL string and try and log you in with that. Make sure you copy the WHOLE URL when you want to use this :) If you are having problems, try Internal web or just the Internal login

And finally, yes. The front Icons are pictures. I'm planning a KILLER skinning section which should allow for more skins to be produced faster :)

joe_coolish

Mar 26, 2010
American Fork
Question about layout

Ok, I need some input about layout. I just finished the Photos tab in the profile panel, and then I was thinking about the Photos Panel on the main screen. It seems like a waste to have the same thing in two places, so I was wondering if I should replace the Photos Panel (from the home screen) with something else? Like places?

bratboo

Dec 20, 2009
Ok, I need some input about layout. I just finished the Photos tab in the profile panel, and then I was thinking about the Photos Panel on the main screen. It seems like a waste to have the same thing in two places, so I was wondering if I should replace the Photos Panel (from the home screen) with something else? Like places?

What does places do? For me you could replace it since you can view photo in Profile if I'm not mistaken! :D Many thanks for this app!

BTW! When will the fbIM will be implemented? much better to have in the same app than switching apps. :D

wil_dee

Jan 31, 2010

PLACES WOULD BE EXCELLENT!!! cheers!

Watahboi

May 24, 2010
Hawaii

Dont see the point on having photos on the home screen ;) So places would be AWESOME!!!

ToddeSwe

Dec 26, 2007
Alvesta
Thank you for the report :)
I think I should have all of those errors sorted out.

The next version will allow for images/ albums. I actually finished most of the album work last night! Pretty exciting :) I just need to figure out how to display the images....

I hope to have the next version (4.1) done by this weekend.

Thank you! I'm going to try and get as much done as far as GUI elements for the next couple of releases, so that there isn't a constant need for translation updates :D The next release will have a few but by ~4.5 I want to have 90% of the phrases done. But then again, who knows?!

"URL Copy thing" Are you talking about the button in the External Web Login? You need to copy the URL of the Success Browser page to the clipboard, and then the button will check the clipboard for a URL string and try and log you in with that. Make sure you copy the WHOLE URL when you want to use this :) If you are having problems, try Internal web or just the Internal login

And finally, yes. The front Icons are pictures. I'm planning a KILLER skinning section which should allow for more skins to be produced faster :)

Maybe a default frontpage without any text and icons that are not to be misstaken.... i know G-Alarm has it that way and i works like a charm.

One small question, are you going to put in places in a near future? :)

DazzaMc

Aug 2, 2007
Just installed it. (HD2)
On the first run it seemed to have issues with authenticating my FB account and the software didn't like it. After I had gotten past that stage then I got the below.

A little thing (just for the sake of usability);
On the login screen - User Name should read Email Address

NullReferenceException- at XDAFacebook.Authentication.Authenticate()
at XDAFacebook.Authentication.getAuthKey()
at XDAFacebook.Authentication.Authenticate()
at XDAFacebook.Main.authenticate(String user, String pass)
at XDAFacebook.Main.<>c__DisplayClass12.<>c__DisplayClass17.<setupLogin>b__e(Object o, EventArgs e)
at XFControls.XFPanels.XFPanelItems.XFItemBase.OnClick()
at XFSenseUI.XFItems.SenseItem.GetClickResult()
at XFControls.XFPanels.XFPanelList.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WnProc(WM wm, Int32 wParam, Int32 lParam)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control._InternalWnProc(WM wm, Int32 wParam, Int32 lParam)
at Microsoft.AGL.Forms.EVL.EnterMainLoop(IntPtr hwnMain)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form fm)
at XDAFacebook.Program.Main()

Cheers!
:)

joe_coolish

Mar 26, 2010
American Fork
Just installed it. (HD2)
On the first run it seemed to have issues with authenticating my FB account and the software didn't like it. After I had gotten past that stage then I got the below.

A little thing (just for the sake of usability);
On the login screen - User Name should read Email Address

Cheers!
:)

Thank you for the report :) That is definitely a new one. I'll look into it

As for login screen, yes you are right, it should read Email address. I'll see what I can do about changing it.

mb76

Sep 25, 2008
Don't know if this even possible, but could you tie in an auto refresh with a notification icon (for example Cookies Home Tab) on the home screen?
Just a thought.

m0nkeyman

Mar 3, 2008
London
Ok Joe just had that memory thing happen. Facebook was using between 94 to 99% of my CPU and even after I ended the task my HD2 was lagging so had to soft reset.

joe_coolish

Mar 26, 2010
American Fork
Ok Joe just had that memory thing happen. Facebook was using between 94 to 99% of my CPU and even after I ended the task my HD2 was lagging so had to soft reset.

Ok, I'll commit a new version tonight that has a lot of memory management. I've gotten a few reports about high memory usage, but I can't seem to reproduce it on my device/emulators.

The last tests I ran showed that memory usage on the latest build is about 30% smaller. I don't know what is causing the program to stay in memory :( It shouldn't stay longer than the exit. I'm using all managed code and all my threads are background... The OS should dispose of all the application pieces as soon as they are finished being used.

Well, check the latest version and let me know if that helps the high CPU and the persistent memory.

Watahboi

May 24, 2010
Hawaii
Updating Via Autoupdate seems to be an older version? After I install and run, it tells me to update again. The cab that is downloaded is the "Update 4.1 Beta." I uninstalled and installed manually and still does the same thing.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello

We are at the very beginning stage of development of new FaceBook app for WinMo.
    If any developer/graphic designer wants to join, please feel free to do so :)

Please reffer to this google code project site:

http://code.google.com/p/xda-winmo-facebook/

To join the group, PM xda member: joe_coolish

Donations:

Promised Fullfilled

sinoo - $10 + $10
    thekrautdog - $5

PS: The poll is from the old post. You can still vote on whether you want a new FB app.
    Follow updates on Twitter! Use the #xdafb hashtag to spread the word!
    Here is an article on what kinds of feedback we're looking for when helping test the public beta: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=9227274

[UPDATED 12/7/10]

BETA 4.1!

**update** If you were caught in the infinite automatic-update, things should be fixed now. Also, I forgot to disable the Compose button in the inbox. It will crash the app if clicked on. Hopefully by friday I can have another version that has this part working :)

• Photo Albums! Pictures can now be viewed in XDAFacebook.
      • Big pictures will open up in the default browser for the time being. Once I make a good photo viewer, I'll replace that.
      • Also, the settings menu has a whole section dedicated to photos. Feel free to play with the settings, but numerical values == 0 or <0 will cause the app to crash! There is no safty net for this!
      • There is a number for concurrent image downloads. This number should be between 6-10. Any more can cause slow down, and less and the effect seems non-existant. I've gone as high as 25 and felt pretty good about it. But I haven't dared push it to the limit!
      • New albums had a few bugs so I held back on this release. It will be coming soon!
    • Older Posts! Feel free to browse the older posts :) I've successfully gone about a days worth of posts back w/o any lag.
    • Searchable Friends List! I added a search box at the top of the friends search list :)
    • Memory Management! Special Thanks goes out to Corwin9S. He helped me look at the memory usage. I reduced the CPU cycles by ~30%. It still takes up about 3-6 mbs of RAM. This is caused by Form Allocations, DLL imports, etc. Most of the space is just allocated space that I can't get rid of. I will try to find more ways to make the RAM usage go down, but from what I've been told by some people at MSFT, this numer isn't uncommon or bad. CPU cycles are what count and that's what I'm trying to optimize
    • GUI fixes! I finished the drop-downs, so they look a little more professional. I also added the numerical counters. There are still more that can be done on them, so I will continue improving their apperance and performance.
    • Rollup of bug fixes
    • And finally SPEED!! This version should be the fastest yet. Rendering times are super quick and load times seem to be back to where they belong.

Instructions for Localization:

Please create a blank language file (instructions are above) and edit ONLY the text in between the quote marks "". The quotes need to remain!
    Verify that your text doesn't fly off the screen. Anywhere that the text is too long for the graphic, try shortening the word or pick a different one (if that's possible) if not, let me know (via picture) and I'll make the necessary changes.
    Once you have a translated file, save it as <Language>.txt and upload it to your device. Place it in the same directory where you got the Blank.txt.

Please share your translations!

ALSO! Since the app will be transforming and new features will be being added, the translation process will be ongoing.
    If you click "Create Blank Language File" and you already had an alternate translation loaded and working, the Blank.txt will only have the new strings in english, so you will only need to translate the changes.

Unfortunately, after a couple of hours searching the web and looking at platform SDKs, I have learned that poking is not supported by the Graph or REST APIs (what I use to interact with facebook). I've been looking, and I might be able to hack something that might work, or I could have the option to support Pokes via SMS. I need your feedback. Which option (or both) sounds the best? Does anyone even Poke anymore?!

Wall posting is very basic at the moment. I will be making an advanced text editor that has more options for posting links, privacy settings, etc.

I also changed the road map a little. Let me know if that works for everyone!

Hope everyone likes the new updates!

I also wanted to make a road map of releases leading up to the final release of Version 1.0:

BETA 4.X
    • This beta release will focus on posting data to Facebook and making sure everything works well.
    • This beta release will also include newer GUI pieces, such as Inbox!

BETA 5.X
    • This beta release will focus on Chat!

BETA 6.X
    • This beta release will focus on App Completeness! Or making sure all the functionality of a full Mobile Client have been implemented

RC 1
    • This release candidate will focus on Bullet-Proofing! All minor bugs should be worked out

RC 2
    • This release candidate will only happen if major bugs are discovered in RC 1

Release 1.0
    • Hopefully all is well!

That is the road map I have planned. I don't anticipate Beta 3 to be out very long (unless there are major bugs). I want to get to beta 4.X as soon as possible. I also might mix and match :) But that is the proposed roadmap to Release 1.0!

Devices that this beta has been tested on:
    • HD2 WVGA

BUGS!!!
    • Authorization should be working, but using the new URL is a lot cleaner (I think). Go here to authorize directly. Once you see the browser transfered to "Success" then try the application again
    • Friend names that are really long hang off the edge.
    • I've fixed this bug for the next release, long names will be clipped with Ellipsis

And the status of this beta is:
    works-on-my-machine-starburst.jpg

ENJOY!
    thank you for the reports :)

I'm going to be doing a ton of work for the next couple of hours. follow my progress on twitter (if you're bored and need something to do! also ask me questions on there and I'll be able to respond quickly.

wish me luck!
    Skinning instructions

Design instructions:

• Download screenshots.zip
    • modifiy images in favorite image editor (that supports .psd and layers)
    • post concept image in thread/send us the .psd file
    • (OPTIONAL) Make skin with concept

Skin the XDAFacebook app instructions:

• Download zip file
    • extract all images and place them in the \Program Files\XDAFacebook\Resources folder
    • launch application
    • enjoy!

Ok, instructions on how to skin the app are as follows:

• Find the image that you want to replace.
    • Create new image and give it the specific name.
    • Special "tags" at the end of the name give the image special features.
    • copy the images to the \Program Files\XDAFacebook\Resources directory
    list of tags:

• _alpha this will take the first pixel of the image and make it the images "Alpha Channel". Make sure that the image is solid in that color and that there are no artifacts!
    • _trans_### where ### is a number (ie 200, 100, 10. Not 001). This number represents the total opacity for the image. The higher the number, the more opaque. Range 255-0.
    • _trans_png. This only works with 24 bit PNG files!!!! This is also very resource intensive, so make this a last option. This will preserve the images alpha channel. It is the only way to make partial transparencies.

List of files: This list will increase and until final release is up for change!

• header 480x50
    • house 50x50
    • XFPanelHome 480x552
    • alphabar 50x648

the dimensions are based on 800x480 res screen. If someone wants to experiment and give me dimensions for other resolutions, please do so!

If you have any questions about where these images are, let me know and I'll tell you

Good luck and send me the zip with your skins and I'll post the best ones here :)
    Thank you all for your support! XDAFacebook has a new home

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=9779193#post9779193

Please update your links. I will not be monitoring this thread any more.

~~~
    Joel