SD Card Unexpectedly Removed

Search This thread

frost_theone

Feb 17, 2010
Seems like we are back to square one since its not the thickness. Personally I don't feel it's the thickness of the card problem.
I just got hold of a similar 16GB class 10 GREY AND RED SanDisk memory card design. Thickness comparing with the 32gb SanDisk is actually the same., therefore theoretically it will have error problem too. I will keep u guys updated on this.

BTT8

Oct 16, 2012
I don't think it was ever the thickness being a problem.

I bought mine back in October 2012 and it worked great only until this month. Then it started having problems.

DarrickDJ

Feb 25, 2013
I encountered the same issue and replaced with a samsung C10 32G USH-1

I have encountered the same issue just after one month of using sandisk 32G C10 Ultra USH-1. Now, I replace it with a Samsung 32G C10 ush-1. I will keep testing it and reporting in this thread.

internetpilot

Jan 26, 2011
Ponte Vedra, FL
I have 3 different 32GB MicroSD cards -- Kingston Class 4, Patriot Class 4, and SanDisk UHS Class 10 (red/grey). I also have the Note 2 and my wife has the S3.

The problem seems to be a combination of Samsung's MicroSD slot and SanDisk's super thin MicroSD cards. Both the Patriot and Kingston 32GB MicroSD cards are noticeably thicker (almost 2x) and both fit more firmly in my Note 2' and S3's MicroSD slots.

I also have the same problem when using only the SanDisk MicroSD card in my multi-slot card reader. I get card not inserted errors as well as cyclical redundancy errors, misc write errors, etc. This card reader was not cheap and I paid good money for it because I use it for semi-pro digital photography -- I cannot have a card reader messing up my photos. I purchased my SanDisk MicrosSD card with a full sized SD adapter (just because that's the one that was the best deal). Guess what -- the SanDisk MicroSD card formats, reads, and writes perfectly fine when using the full sized SD adapter in the same card reader. Neither the Patriot nor Kingston MicroSD cards will fit in the SanDisk full-sized SD adapter, so clearly this SD adapter's slot is specifically designed for the significantly thinner SanDisk MicroSD cards.

So, I think the problem is that SanDisk made their newer MicroSD cards too thin, so they're not making constant, proper contact inside Samsung's card slots (and my card reader). My Acer A500 tablet has a better designed card slot so (at least so far) the SanDisk MicroSD card isn't giving me any problems in it. Likewise, my Patriot Class 4 card that's now in my Note 2 is not exhibiting any of these problems because it's a thicker card so my Note 2 (so far) seems happier with it.

Anyway, that's my current theory. I wonder if there are any other memory manufacturers who thinning up their card designs? So far, it's just been SanDisk that I've encountered this. Seems like most of the people here on this thread are also having problems with just the SanDisk cards.

Just checking back in to this thread almost a week after I went with my "solution" and I still have zero problems. Proceeding with my fingers crossed, though, because it took almost two months for the problem to first show with the SanDisk card.

vwjoade

Apr 8, 2007
I have a similar issue with the same sandisk 32gb card. Although it has happened after I have upgraded to jb (xxlsd). I will try to recover my data and add a piece of paper or tape to the card.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

internetpilot

Jan 26, 2011
Ponte Vedra, FL
It could actually be something internal to the manufacturing on the card. I know that both SanDisk and Samsung actually make their own cards, unlike say Kingston and Patriot, etc. The card that I replaced my SanDisk card with is a Patriot 32GB Class 4, but I believe the internals are actually manufactured by Toshiba. Maybe Samsung hardware and SanDisk memory just isn't playing nicely...?

One thing that seems to be glaringly obvious is that almost all the problems seem to be with SanDisk 32GB UHS-1 cards. Could just be a coincidence that it's the thinnest card I own.

Does anyone know if there's an Android app (or even a PC app) that will show the actual manufacturer of the card? I know SD Tools used to do this, but on my newer phone and tablet it only gives the card info on the internal memory (even when I change the path to the external SD card).

Last edited:

frost_theone

Feb 17, 2010
It could actually be something internal to the manufacturing on the card. I know that both SanDisk and Samsung actually make their own cards, unlike say Kingston and Patriot, etc. The card that I replaced my SanDisk card with is a Patriot 32GB Class 4, but I believe the internals are actually manufactured by Toshiba. Maybe Samsung hardware and SanDisk memory just isn't playing nicely...?

One thing that seems to be glaringly obvious is that almost all the problems seem to be with SanDisk 32GB UHS-1 cards. Could just be a coincidence that it's the thinnest card I own.

Does anyone know if there's an Android app (or even a PC app) that will show the actual manufacturer of the card? I know SD Tools used to do this, but on my newer phone and tablet it only gives the card info on the internal memory (even when I change the path to the external SD card).

Are you using any monitoring app to detect for bad removal for your Patriot 32GB class 4 ad card? As for now, my loaned 16GB class 10 red/grey is still running fine with no bad removal detected.

By default once u open the SD Tools app, I thought it is already reflecting the Sd type( example SD16G) and all relevant info; For example IMEI at main page? It's only when you change the path directory to /mnt/extSdcard, then the information of the card will be gone. This is where i feel kinda of weird to know that no information on the changed path directory (SD card) when I am about to perform a WRITE/READ check.

internetpilot

Jan 26, 2011
Ponte Vedra, FL
Are you using any monitoring app to detect for bad removal for your Patriot 32GB class 4 ad card? As for now, my loaned 16GB class 10 red/grey is still running fine with no bad removal detected.

What's the monitoring app that everyone is using? I've just been watching for the previous symptoms (message when I wake up the phone).

By default once u open the SD Tools app, I thought it is already reflecting the Sd type( example SD16G) and all relevant info; For example IMEI at main page? It's only when you change the path directory to /mnt/extSdcard, then the information of the card will be gone. This is where i feel kinda of weird to know that no information on the changed path directory (SD card) when I am about to perform a WRITE/READ check.

At least on my devices (other than my EVO 4G), the SD Tools app defaults to displaying info for the internal memory -- not the ext SD card. For example, it tells me that my my "SD card" is only 12GB (instead of 32GB) and says it's a Samsung, even when I have the SanDisk card in.

cooleydub

Oct 20, 2008
I have a pny 32 gig sd hc and the same problems started right away same day I put it in the phone. Now I can't get the phone to even recognize that there is a card in it.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium

frost_theone

Feb 17, 2010
What's the monitoring app that everyone is using? I've just been watching for the previous symptoms (message when I wake up the phone).

At least on my devices (other than my EVO 4G), the SD Tools app defaults to displaying info for the internal memory -- not the ext SD card. For example, it tells me that my my "SD card" is only 12GB (instead of 32GB) and says it's a Samsung, even when I have the SanDisk card in.

I am using this app - SD Monitor.
--> play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sdcardmonitor&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5zZGNhcmRtb25pdG9yIl0

To be honest, the error sometimes pop up even in sleep mode and I was totally unaware of it till I open that app to view the no. of bad removal. U could just be lucky that the error didn't appear upon u wake up your phone. This app is really useful. Trust me, u will be surprised with no. of removal detected while phone is hibernating. I will try to attach some screenshots of the error soon (if possible because I am not allowed to attach pictures as new user)

Mine shows the the name and OEM ID but I have no idea about the abbreviation. As long as the app (SD Tools) allows me to perform a read/write test, I am fine. FYI, below is the data of the 32GB incompatible Sandisk card info;
Name: SU32G
OEM Id : SD
Mid: 0x000003
Date: 10/2012
Serial : 0x1cd69d12
Firmware: 0x0
Hardware: 0x8

Cheers

internetpilot

Jan 26, 2011
Ponte Vedra, FL
Ok, I'm now running SD Monitor, so we'll see how it goes.

One problem that I could see with that is I'm no longer using my sd card for any music files or custom alarms - I moved all those to internal memory after getting burned on music alarms and reminders to many times when this problem first started up. One theory about the problem is that with multiple Spa using the same files/filets on the SD card, maybe that's causing a glitch-ish problem from the Jellybean update or something??? Who knows... anyway, so until I move my music back to the ext SD this problem may not resurface. We'll see. I'll report back in a couple of days or sooner if the app reports an unmount.

---------- Post added at 08:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

Oh yeah, I never get that info from SD Tools on any ext SD card I put in my Note2 -- It always just shows the same info about the internal memory that I get even if I have no ext SD card in the slot when I run SD Tools.

Is there a newer version of SD Tools than what's in Play? Like here on XDA or something? I'm running (I believe) v1.0 downloaded from Play.

frost_theone

Feb 17, 2010
I have a pny 32 gig sd hc and the same problems started right away same day I put it in the phone. Now I can't get the phone to even recognize that there is a card in it.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium

Try out a 16gb sd card and see if it helps

---------- Post added at 01:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 AM ----------

Ok, I'm now running SD Monitor, so we'll see how it goes.

One problem that I could see with that is I'm no longer using my sd card for any music files or custom alarms - I moved all those to internal memory after getting burned on music alarms and reminders to many times when this problem first started up. One theory about the problem is that with multiple Spa using the same files/filets on the SD card, maybe that's causing a glitch-ish problem from the Jellybean update or something??? Who knows... anyway, so until I move my music back to the ext SD this problem may not resurface. We'll see. I'll report back in a couple of days or sooner if the app reports an unmount.

---------- Post added at 08:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

Oh yeah, I never get that info from SD Tools on any ext SD card I put in my Note2 -- It always just shows the same info about the internal memory that I get even if I have no ext SD card in the slot when I run SD Tools.

Is there a newer version of SD Tools than what's in Play? Like here on XDA or something? I'm running (I believe) v1.0 downloaded from Play.

Great, do keep us updated. As of the 3rd day, no bad removal found on my 16gb Sandisk Ultra Red/Grey sd card. The technical support from Samsung told me no problem using 32GB card. Until someone really uses a genuine Samsung Sd card and provide some update, I will not use 32 GB sd cards for my S3 LTE.

I am using SD tools ver 2.9 and I downloaded from Play store. Is it a different Playstore from my country, Singapore.?

Sidetrack this topic a bit. Another problem found on my S3 LTE was the long charging time. It took me 8 hours to fully charge from 10%. All this happened after the recent JB update. Charging becomes erratic for those on S3 especially LTE. Rest assured, nothing is wrong with the battery, phone or charger. The problem lies with the cable as it has only 4 gold pinouts at the micro USB Side.

For the non LTE S3, it comes with 5 pinouts at the micro USB side and after using it, my charging time reverted back to just 2 hours of charging. I am unsure why there is a difference in the no. of pinouts between s3 and non lte s3 cable. Even for note 2, it's only 4 pinouts and not 5 but I believe the output (2.1 amp) of the charger already compensates the time required to fully charge the battery. That's why I don't see many consumers complained about this issue.

Hopefully this info benefits anyone with charging issues.

Cheers,
P.S. : hopefully Samsung comes up all fixes for JB firmware.

TirAnasazi

Dec 27, 2012
Sarajevo
I got my Samsung 16GB card (UHS-1) two days ago and so far the, problem seems to be gone. But what I also noticed is, the phone reads any data much quicker from the Samsung card than from the 32GB Sandisk. I have a video folder on the card with some 80 videos in it and with the old card the video player could not show thumbnails properly (they were static). Now, they are all running as they should. Same thing with the picture folder, as I've noticed much more fluent picture sliding.

I don't know if this comes only from the diference between the classes of the cards (Class 4 SDHC vs. UHS-1), or do Samsung cards for some reason generally work best with Samsung phones.

Last edited:

internetpilot

Jan 26, 2011
Ponte Vedra, FL
Great, do keep us updated. As of the 3rd day, no bad removal found on my 16gb Sandisk Ultra Red/Grey sd card. The technical support from Samsung told me no problem using 32GB card. Until someone really uses a genuine Samsung Sd card and provide some update, I will not use 32 GB sd cards for my S3 LTE.

I am using SD tools ver 2.9 and I downloaded from Play store. Is it a different Playstore from my country, Singapore.?

Well, so far no bad removal for me on my Patriot 32GB Class 4 card. I did get one mount report after I used Titanium Backup to import a backup from the external SD card, but that's not an error. Again, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed (and my SD card photos backed up to my PC), but it would appear so far that at least one non-SanDisk 32GB card is working.

I don't know where I saw v1.0 for SD Tools, but when I checked what I downloaded from the Play store again, it was v2.9. But it still will only show the card info for the internal SD card and not the external SD card, even after changing the path.

thundermuppet

Jan 13, 2013
I have this problem but I only got it when I flashed any jelly bean Rom. it works perfect when I use any ics Rom.

internetpilot

Jan 26, 2011
Ponte Vedra, FL
Just an update, the SD Monitor app reported a card unmount and card ejected for my Patriot 32 GB Class 4 card. I was doing a lot of Titanium Backup restores and imports/exports, so that could explain it. These weren't labeled as bad removals, so it's probably nothing to worry about... yet.

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 AM ----------

Actually that seems to be what happens when I reboot my phone, so not a problem.

Sidneymac

Dec 12, 2010
Samsung needs to address this.... This problem isn't going away...

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have 3 different 32GB MicroSD cards -- Kingston Class 4, Patriot Class 4, and SanDisk UHS Class 10 (red/grey). I also have the Note 2 and my wife has the S3.

The problem seems to be a combination of Samsung's MicroSD slot and SanDisk's super thin MicroSD cards. Both the Patriot and Kingston 32GB MicroSD cards are noticeably thicker (almost 2x) and both fit more firmly in my Note 2' and S3's MicroSD slots.

I also have the same problem when using only the SanDisk MicroSD card in my multi-slot card reader. I get card not inserted errors as well as cyclical redundancy errors, misc write errors, etc. This card reader was not cheap and I paid good money for it because I use it for semi-pro digital photography -- I cannot have a card reader messing up my photos. I purchased my SanDisk MicrosSD card with a full sized SD adapter (just because that's the one that was the best deal). Guess what -- the SanDisk MicroSD card formats, reads, and writes perfectly fine when using the full sized SD adapter in the same card reader. Neither the Patriot nor Kingston MicroSD cards will fit in the SanDisk full-sized SD adapter, so clearly this SD adapter's slot is specifically designed for the significantly thinner SanDisk MicroSD cards.

So, I think the problem is that SanDisk made their newer MicroSD cards too thin, so they're not making constant, proper contact inside Samsung's card slots (and my card reader). My Acer A500 tablet has a better designed card slot so (at least so far) the SanDisk MicroSD card isn't giving me any problems in it. Likewise, my Patriot Class 4 card that's now in my Note 2 is not exhibiting any of these problems because it's a thicker card so my Note 2 (so far) seems happier with it.

Anyway, that's my current theory. I wonder if there are any other memory manufacturers who thinning up their card designs? So far, it's just been SanDisk that I've encountered this. Seems like most of the people here on this thread are also having problems with just the SanDisk cards.
    Hope this helps, but I've used many different brands of miniSD cards and particularly with SanDisk brand, it is best to just put it straight into your phone without reformatting. I have the Note 2, SIII and my wife the SIII. Both SIII's are using the same SanDisk 64GB Class 10 card.

With my phone I put the SanDisk straight into my phone without reformatting. However, on my wife's phone I reformatted (Fat32) on the PC and reformatted once in the phone. Her SD card started acting up.

Contrary to what many people thought including myself, I thought the cards usually all came in Fat32...however, I come to find out the SanDisk's come formatted in exFat, which was a complete SERIOUS?! moment for me. I guess the 'newestest' phones like the Note 2 are exFat friendly?

So my theory is with SanDisk, just leave it alone and put in the SD as is. (For newer phones) I can think of a hand full of reasons of why I think SanDisk's crap out if formatted, but I'll leave the speculation to rest.

Good Luck!

(btw: The best cards I've used are by far Samsung, PNY and A-Data. What they all have in common is that the chip component itself is all made in Korea. Well obviously Samsung is Korean...but I'm referring to PNY and A-Data.)

Cheers

What I have noticed is that most people having issues have a 32gig SanDisk. I am using a SanDisk 64gig (class 10) and haven't had any problems. I took the card out of the packaging and inserted it into my phone. No formatting.. I am stock/rooted with only a little bloat removed.

**EDIT**
    I forgot to mention that my sdcard was for Android Phones. It had the Android Robot on the packaging ect.
    any solutions?

Been trying follow the whole thread....

Please correct me if I missed anything ...

All these possibilities has been discussed but none concluded to be the root issue

- SD card (Sandisk, Kingston, PE etc) manufacturer problem
    - Loose micro ribbon/adapter connecting SD card
    - Samsung Android screen wake up (code issue)
    - Internal Android issue
    - Depending on type of files stored
    - Digital Rights Management

I am beginning to think that that this is Google, Dropbox, Samsung and all the other Big Player's master plan to force us to use their 'CLOUD' vs external storage.

Possible Fix(s)

*All of which either does not work or miraculously worked for some*

- Insert folded paper with SD card (making it tighter to hold)
    - switch on protect SD card under developer options
    - settings > storage > Unmount card and mount it back on
    - Format card
    - Change to FAT32/ExFat
    - Factory reset phone
    - Restart phone
    - Throw phone on the floor and stomp on it
    - Burn it and watch it depart to hell
    - Call Samsung 1-800 and hear them bulls**t you saying it's not my problem, I've already made my money
    - Call Google and get no response
    - Vent on XDA and get no replies

Above all choose Peace and Love and sleep peacefully like a baby!
    I'm just gonna throw this out there... It kinda seems like the latest Samsung phones are happily corrupting SD cards right and left. Now, maybe some cards are more susceptible to this, but the fact remains that this is not just anecdotal anymore. We need to get the various phone groups that are seeing this issue to band together and contact Samsung for a fix.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app
    Mine worked fine for a while, too. I'm not sure what triggered it, but I think the phone did something to it. The reason I think this is simple. I have had many devices with SD cards in them, and never have I had one go bad. This phone was using a card that I had used for months before in another phone, and within a month the card was bad. When I looked online, I found hundreds of cases of the same issue, mostly with Samsung S3 and GN2 phones. It seems too much to be a coincidence.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app