[APP] AudiobookMark [R] 2011-01-13 [V]1.0

Search This thread

dbroome

Nov 4, 2005
Name: AudiobookMark

I was frustrated by the lack of built-in support for mp3-based audiobooks so I wrote this app. It lets you load as many audiobooks as you have memory for. It remembers where you are in each file of each book (and of course, which file you are listening to for each book).

It has standard transport keys plus the ability to enter HH:MM:SS to skip directly to.

Download Link: social.zune.net/redirect?type=phoneApp&id=b1cab14b-e91d-e011-9264-00237de2db9e

Attachments

• play.jpg
    play.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 467
Reactions: tigerlocc

dbroome

Nov 4, 2005
Its a 0.99 app, with a free trial that basically let's you use it without limitation, but pops up a message box occasionally...

dbroome

Nov 4, 2005
That sounds like a useful addition. Let me think through how best to implement it, and I'll try to add it in with "run under locked screen" update I'm working on...

Reactions: elmstrom

tigerlocc

Sep 1, 2010
Hey dbroome, this sounds like it has the potential to be an awesome app. I'm so used to the Mortplayer audiobook app on Android and really enjoy using it (great alternative to music btw).

So by mention of "remembers where you are" you mean bookmarks are automatically placed for us? I ask because a cool feature of the mortplayer app was the bookmark feature where you can tag certain spots on demand and go back to wherever you tagged. I hope you go far with this app, it really does sound promising.

The UI looks good too!

dbroome

Nov 4, 2005
I had not heard of Mortplayer, I'll have to check it out, though I don't have an Android device to be able to get a good look at it.

You are correct in that the app places the bookmark for you. It basically remembers where you were in each file.

How do you use the "tag different places in a file" type feature in your audiobook listening? I generally am just listening to novels, and don't have any real need to jump to various spots in the same file.

The reason I ask is that I'd like to implement features users would use, but don't want to overly complicate it with feature bloat.

As an update, I have implemented and am testing three new features. Once I make sure it is working as expected, I'll submit the update to the marketplace:
1) Configurable port on the loader (8001 might not be convenient for everyone. Should have thought of this before)
2) Run under locked screen. Now you can lock the screen to save battery power
3) Configureable sleep timer (with optional shake to reset).

I hope to submit it in the next day or so...

Reactions: directorfer

directorfer

Jun 22, 2007
Boston, MA
Thanks / Volume / File Corruption

First I love the app. I have been writing down my numbers until this app came along. Thank you dbroome.

Second, I noticed the volume is weaker than the default music player; has any one else notice this?

Third, I received a file corruption error message saying it couldn't determine the file lengths and displays all .MP3s as being 00:00:00 in running time. The files didn't play, but after a reboot they started too but still display the zero length; anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

SeanX

Nov 29, 2006
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Also needs skip forward/skip back button that just goes 30 sec back/fprward. The current skip to a location is not usable when driving.
Bonus points for a ui redesign with bigger buttons.
Additional bonus points for a fast play (i.e. play back at 150% speed with no pitch shift).

For me to purchase, I need:
Play under lock screen
Uploader program to work (changing ports might help)

dbroome

Nov 4, 2005
In order to determine the length of the mp3, the player has to actually open the file and then close it. The Zune software interferes with the player opening the file after upload, and as such you have to unplug the phone from the computer after uploading before closing the "I'm done" pop up box. I'm guessing that the 0-length issue might have been due to that. Try deleting that book and re-loading it to the phone, making sure to unplug the phone before continuing (or, alternatively, using the SDK's WPConnect.exe which doesn't interfere with the media being opened).

It might be useful to add a "determine durations" type button on the load screen that would let you try to determine them again at a later time instead of re-loading them. What do you think?

30 second skip could definitely be useful. I'll see if I can find a good way to incorporate it in the next update.

I really want fast play as well. Unfortunately the MediaElement player I have to use to be able to set positions doesn't support it. I'll definitely be watching the updates as they come out for supporting that.

I'm dreadful at UI stuff, but I have a friend who I can probably rope into giving it some love.

Play under lock and the configureable port are in the next update, which I will finish testing and submit tonight...

SeanX

Nov 29, 2006
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Cool. Bought it as an encourgement.

For UI ideas look at audiobook player 2. It is much easier to use while driving.

Suggestions
Your [skip to a time] section shouldn't be on the main page, but off a toolbar option.
Your play/pause button should swap between play/pause depending on state rather than changing the background colour.
Use images rather than text in the buttons [|<] [<<] etc

dbroome

Nov 4, 2005
v1.1 has been approved and should show up in the marketplace shortly. This adds a sleep timer (with optional shake to reset), play under lock, and configureable port on the loader and phone.

Next update will hopefully be a ui re-do, possibly adding the "skip xx seconds" idea.

Reactions: directorfer

directorfer

Jun 22, 2007
Boston, MA
Downloaded the update for the app, re-uploaded the audio book, followed instructions on the pop up (after upload completed) and the software recognized the full lengths. Very nice! Thanks dbroome!! The mp3s seem to have uploaded a little quicker too or is it this just me?

FYI, using a colon within the name of a book crashes the app (at least it does for me).

dbroome

Nov 4, 2005
Good find. I'll correct that.

Waiting on a friend with some design skills. If he doesn't come back to me soon, I'll go looking for free images to include on the buttons and do a general usability re-skin of the ui...

dbroome

Nov 4, 2005
Thanks!

The website had a temporary issue and should be resolved.

I'm looking into the lower volume and should have at least an answer soon if not a fix...

MyRho

May 24, 2008
Hamburg
www.petgirls.de
it's a very nice little app and I'm using it now for a few weeks.
But I've found when you have to many audiobooks or when the aaudio-files are very big (about 6 MB's) the program can't determine the length of the audio-files any longer...
Maybe we can get an update for that?

dbroome

Nov 4, 2005
The only time I have been able to load an audio file the program could not determine the length of was when I forgot to unplug the phone from the Zune software when prompted. I have tested files up to 50 mb. Of course, it could be file dependent. Did the file play even after the length failed to update?

Fortunately I am almost done with the next update that includes code to re-check for the length of files if it fails the first time. I need to finish the "Load from DropBox" functionality that I am implementing and then I can submit it. Hopefully this week!

MyRho

May 24, 2008
Hamburg
www.petgirls.de
Yes - I can start the player and I can play the file even when it says the length is 00:00:00.
This morning I've transferred some 300 MB audiobook-files to my HD7. After that I disconnected the device and it started "determining length of..." and it immediately started playing the first file (10.7 MBs) but even after 20 minutes it just couldn't find the length of the first audio-file so I stopped the program.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Name: AudiobookMark

I was frustrated by the lack of built-in support for mp3-based audiobooks so I wrote this app. It lets you load as many audiobooks as you have memory for. It remembers where you are in each file of each book (and of course, which file you are listening to for each book).

It has standard transport keys plus the ability to enter HH:MM:SS to skip directly to.

Download Link: social.zune.net/redirect?type=phoneApp&id=b1cab14b-e91d-e011-9264-00237de2db9e
    Can you add support for a sleep timer? So you need to shake the phone every 15 mins or it will pause the audio book.
    That sounds like a useful addition. Let me think through how best to implement it, and I'll try to add it in with "run under locked screen" update I'm working on...
    I had not heard of Mortplayer, I'll have to check it out, though I don't have an Android device to be able to get a good look at it.

You are correct in that the app places the bookmark for you. It basically remembers where you were in each file.

How do you use the "tag different places in a file" type feature in your audiobook listening? I generally am just listening to novels, and don't have any real need to jump to various spots in the same file.

The reason I ask is that I'd like to implement features users would use, but don't want to overly complicate it with feature bloat.

As an update, I have implemented and am testing three new features. Once I make sure it is working as expected, I'll submit the update to the marketplace:
    1) Configurable port on the loader (8001 might not be convenient for everyone. Should have thought of this before)
    2) Run under locked screen. Now you can lock the screen to save battery power
    3) Configureable sleep timer (with optional shake to reset).

I hope to submit it in the next day or so...
    v1.1 has been approved and should show up in the marketplace shortly. This adds a sleep timer (with optional shake to reset), play under lock, and configureable port on the loader and phone.

Next update will hopefully be a ui re-do, possibly adding the "skip xx seconds" idea.