Android v4.0.1 ICS VirtualBox VM

Search This thread

gborn

Nov 25, 2011
The next android x86 ics build

I was today informed from VMLite developers that they released also an android x86 build as .vdi file. Currently it's pretty the same like the build I posted yesterday.

Here is my blog article about that build

www.borncity.com/blog/2011/11/28/testing-android-x86-ice-cream-sandwich-image-from-vmlite/

and here is the VMLite download page

vmlite.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=68:android&catid=17:vmlitenewsrotator

As far as I'm informed, VMlite developers are working to integrate guest additions to Android 4.0 x86 ics.

BTW: Does somebody know, why ICS needs VT-X support ?

Last edited:

Brut.all

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2009
How to run ICS for different screen resolutions? Is it compiled into Android, it's in some configuration file or maybe Android detects screen dimensions at a runtime, so it's possible to run same .vdi file for different screen sizes?

huisinro

You can change this file, cmdline, inside (hd0,2)

init=/init qemu=1 console=ttyS0 console=tty0 vga=788 verbose androidboot.hardware=vbox_x86 androidboot.console=ttyS0 android.qemud=ttyS1

==>

init=/init qemu=1 console=ttyS0 console=tty0 vga=ask verbose androidboot.hardware=vbox_x86 androidboot.console=ttyS0 android.qemud=ttyS1

How to irun ICS for different screen resolutions? Is it compiled into Android, it's in some configuration file or maybe Android detects screen dimensions at a runtime, so it's possible to run same .vdi file for different screen sizes?

suaji

Feb 17, 2011
Kota Bharu - Seri Kembangan
As I reported above, the vdi-image runs here in VBox 4.1.6 portable.

@suaji: need VT-X support on your host!

BTW: As I wroted here w w w. borncity. com/ blog/2011/11/25/running-ice-cream-sandwich-in-virtualbox/ , I've found a japanese guy who has build a vdi image with mouse & network support. His site is only in japanese, but today I managed to read his addendum. He has published a download address of his vdi image file.

Here we go: h tt p: // kie .nu/ 26G please remove the blanks

Just downloading, will give it a test drive this morning.

Have fun...

Günter Born

VT-X support?.. i dont what is it.. btw, im using Windows not Ubuntu..
Nvr mnd, i try using VMLite 1st..

Thanks dude for ur link.. :)

gborn

Nov 25, 2011
...ICS in VMware & additional stuff/info

@ciscogee: If kernel stalls with kernel panic, in most cases it is lack of VT-X support on host.

If ”init: cannot find /system/bin/servicemanager” occurs, I suppose, that something with vdi disk association is wrong. I have had it once during my attempt to transfer the image to VMware (see my notes below).

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

@suaji: VT-X is a feature from your CPU that supports virtualization from CPU.

BTW - I'm also using Windows 7 as host ;-).

Just a note: VMLite uses the same restrictions as Virtualbox, because VMLite is derived from Virtualbox (like YouWave Android Emulator as well). e.g. VMLite also requires a machine with VT-X or AMD-V support.

It's crazy, I'm in contact with VMLite developers. They told me, that ICS won't run on a machine without hardware virtualization (kernel stalls), but it runs on a VT-X enabled platform, although they disabled VT-X support in Virtualbox (see screenshot in the blog article linked below).

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

Some guys here in this thread asking for a VMware image of ice cream sandwich. Just like to inform you that I managed to do the trick (I've converted the Virtualbox ISC build for VMware).

Details and a step by step tutorial are here: http://www.borncity.com/blog/2011/11/29/running-ice-cream-sandwich-in-vmware/

Maybe it's helpful

--------------------------------
@huisinro: glad, to see you here. Concerning your suggestion, yes, it should do the trick. But maybe there is another solution. In an older blog article I reported about a honeycomb x86 test drive on Asus Eee PC 701 (that machine comes with a poor screen resolution). User @Andres Garcia left me a comment, that he managed it to install the application “LCD Resolution” and changing “LCD Dencity” to 125. Then he was able to run Honeycomb 3.2 on Eee PC 701 (his photo of his black Eee PC 701 is spread since then through the web). Maybe the guys at VMlite can try to integrate such an .apk into the ICS build (guess they will read it here ;-).

I should also mention, that the guys at VMLite corporation managed to create a vdi image with SD card support (still need to be monted manually). See dissussion here.

Last edited:
Reactions: suaji and ciscogee

Brut.all

Jul 27, 2009

Thanks! :) And what about the DPI and/or physical screen size? What I'm trying to do is to have development platform for Android apps. Emulator is definitely too slow and if I would be able to run ICS through VBox for different screen configurations, I would be able to use it instead of an emulator.

Also, why there's a qemu=1? Qemu is used to emulate ARM, so what's the point of using it for x86 version of an Android running on VBox? I'm just curious :)

suaji

Feb 17, 2011
Kota Bharu - Seri Kembangan

gborn

Nov 25, 2011
And what about the DPI and/or physical screen size? What I'm trying to do is to have development platform for Android apps. Emulator is definitely too slow and if I would be able to run ICS through VBox for different screen configurations, I would be able to use it instead of an emulator.
Maybe it helps to install the application “LCD Resolution” and changing “LCD Dencity” - I havn't tried yet, because till now I wasn't able to connect adb to my VM. If you managed to open adb shell, you should be able to install an .adb file.

Brut.all

Jul 27, 2009
Maybe it helps to install the application “LCD Resolution” and changing “LCD Dencity”

Thanks for suggestion - I'll try this.

I havn't tried yet, because till now I wasn't able to connect adb to my VM. If you managed to open adb shell, you should be able to install an .adb file.

Open VM settings, change networking to NAT and set port forwarding for TCP from SOMEPORT on a host to 5555 on a guest. Then run ICS, open terminal and run:

Code:
adb connect localhost:SOMEPORT
adb devices

You should be able to see your virtual ICS :)

Reactions: gborn

gborn

Nov 25, 2011
@Brut.all: Thanks for suggestion, but at least I was able to connect adb using VMware with bridged network - in Virtualbox portable I messed a lot till I was able to define port forwarding in a successful manner.

I have written a small 'how to' to mount a SD card and install .apk files, using adb here: http://www.borncity.com/blog/2011/12/01/experimenting-with-ics-in-virtualbox-vmlite-vmware/

Perhaps it will be helpful.

BTW: As far as VMLite developers informed me, they are working on guest additions for VMLite and also on automount for SD card. Installing guest addition with new video driver maybe enables to switch video modes/resolutions. The discussion may be found here: http://www.vmlite.com/index.php?opt...nc=view&catid=9&id=8838&limit=6&limitstart=18

Last edited:

gborn

Nov 25, 2011
New Virtualbox build

For thouse experimenting with Virtualbox and ICS: There is a new ICS Build from VMLite as a .vdi file available. Now with automount for fake sd card, mouse integration (no mouse trapping) and shared folders working. Also the bug of the previous version, that the memory for apps installing runs low, is fixed. Further information at [1].

There has been also an installable x86 build for AMD Brazos platform at android-x86.org [2] - but this iso isn't bootable on other x86 machines.

1: http://www.borncity.com/blog/2011/12/03/new-virtualbox-ice-cream-sandwich-build/
2: http://www.android-x86.org

Last edited:

gborn

Nov 25, 2011
new x86 builds

just like to mention, that android-x86 developers released developer builds for different Intel platforms. Beside the AMD Brazos build I mentioned above (and which won't work on my atom platfoms), I found an Asus iso that bootet on my MSI Wind U100. Guess, there will be many machines, that are able to boot with one of the builds. I wrote a short how to, that should everybody enablet to test ics riskless on x86 hardware.

eighty-four

Apr 8, 2010
Moscow

init=/init qemu=1 console=ttyS0 console=tty0 vga=788 verbose androidboot.hardware=vbox_x86 androidboot.console=ttyS0 android.qemud=ttyS1

==>

init=/init qemu=1 console=ttyS0 console=tty0 vga=ask verbose androidboot.hardware=vbox_x86 androidboot.console=ttyS0 android.qemud=ttyS1

any idea how to use wide screen resolutions? there only 4:3 and 5:4 resolutions listed in modes

edit: nope, it works. missed it right at the end of list

change one of custom video modes or add a one if no such
<ExtraDataItem name="CustomVideoMode1" value="1280x800x16"/>

Last edited:

eighty-four

Apr 8, 2010
Moscow
Android x86 released few more 4.0 images - eeepc, tegra2 etc.

eeepc installs on virtualbox. graphics works slightly, but noticeably faster. dhcp does not work automatically. eth0 can be set up manually, but some apps won't work with it like google account, google market, 4pda client, amazon appstore works, but annoys with no connect message

other noticed things - launcher do not crash while adding widgets, background can be set, terminal cursor constantly appears over graphics.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this or even if anyone would be interested in this, but I spent some time yesterday working with the Ice Cream Sandwich source and was able to get Android compiled for VirtualBox. This is virgin AOSP using the included 'vbox-x86' make target, so there were no changes made to the source. I thought some people may just want to see ICS and tinker rather than go through some of the hoops so I decided to release the VM.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I WILL NOT GIVE ANY SUPPORT FOR THIS.

At the link below are some screenshots of it running in VirtualBox as well as the link to download.

UPDATE... Since I'm a newb (never posted but been here for a while), I can't post the link. But, here are some screenshots. Perhaps I can get external links approved from the moderators?

Peace.
    ...ICS in VMware & additional stuff/info

@ciscogee: If kernel stalls with kernel panic, in most cases it is lack of VT-X support on host.

If ”init: cannot find /system/bin/servicemanager” occurs, I suppose, that something with vdi disk association is wrong. I have had it once during my attempt to transfer the image to VMware (see my notes below).

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

@suaji: VT-X is a feature from your CPU that supports virtualization from CPU.

BTW - I'm also using Windows 7 as host ;-).

Just a note: VMLite uses the same restrictions as Virtualbox, because VMLite is derived from Virtualbox (like YouWave Android Emulator as well). e.g. VMLite also requires a machine with VT-X or AMD-V support.

It's crazy, I'm in contact with VMLite developers. They told me, that ICS won't run on a machine without hardware virtualization (kernel stalls), but it runs on a VT-X enabled platform, although they disabled VT-X support in Virtualbox (see screenshot in the blog article linked below).

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

Some guys here in this thread asking for a VMware image of ice cream sandwich. Just like to inform you that I managed to do the trick (I've converted the Virtualbox ISC build for VMware).

Details and a step by step tutorial are here: http://www.borncity.com/blog/2011/11/29/running-ice-cream-sandwich-in-vmware/

Maybe it's helpful

--------------------------------
    @huisinro: glad, to see you here. Concerning your suggestion, yes, it should do the trick. But maybe there is another solution. In an older blog article I reported about a honeycomb x86 test drive on Asus Eee PC 701 (that machine comes with a poor screen resolution). User @Andres Garcia left me a comment, that he managed it to install the application “LCD Resolution” and changing “LCD Dencity” to 125. Then he was able to run Honeycomb 3.2 on Eee PC 701 (his photo of his black Eee PC 701 is spread since then through the web). Maybe the guys at VMlite can try to integrate such an .apk into the ICS build (guess they will read it here ;-).

I should also mention, that the guys at VMLite corporation managed to create a vdi image with SD card support (still need to be monted manually). See dissussion here.
    Ok, let's try this... Remove the spaces.

doubleu doubleu doubleu . gregorystrike . com/2011/11/16/my-first-compile-of-android-v4-0-1-ics-running-in-virtual-box/

Also, since I haven't figured out mouse support yet the lock screen PIN is set to '1111' so it can be unlocked.
    nonexistent host networking interface, name 'Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller' (VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR)

error code:
    E_FAIL (0x80004005)
    Component:
    Console
    Interface:
    IConsole {1968b7d3-e3bf-4ceb-99e0-cb7c913317bb}

doesn't work for me :(

Change sound settings.

@yn0t runs very fast!
    Try changing the NIC to one of the NAT (vs Bridged).