[Bounty] Help get Drew Garen a Flyer !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
After ics is built someone can just make a kang build later with sense. The most important thing is a solid vanilla build to base other builds off of. Personally I love sense on my phone but it just doesn't play nice with the flyers hardware, adds lag that it could do without. I'd rather just have a nice vanilla or cm build personally.

Btw will this build support all models?

Sent from my HTC_Flyer_P512_NA using XDA

Last edited:

drewgaren

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 4, 2010
Detroit
After ics is built someone can just make a kang build later with sense. The most important thing is a solid vanilla build to base other builds off of. Personally I love sense on my phone but it just doesn't play nice with the flyers hardware, adds lag that it could do without. I'd rather just have a nice vanilla or cm build personally.

Btw will this build support all models?

Sent from my HTC_Flyer_P512_NA using XDA

After I have built ICS I will will work on Sense version as well. The first version will be ICS however.

---------- Post added at 05:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 AM ----------

I have started a new set of test compiling. I have redone major edits to the whole build directory. I have redone qcom display, framework, external libraries, htc devices and all necessary vendor files have been redone and are still work in progress, the build folder has been redone so no errors will happen now, added new hardware files, fixed development, fixed htc common files and a ton of other changes. All of this will be uploaded to my github account within the next few days.

I will also be leaving for Florida on Sunday and I don't have internet there so I have to barrow my neighbors Wi-Fi and it's extremely slow. I will be downloading all of the big files needed and get it by then and continue to work.

We should have ICS soon, I have made huge progress in the last few days!

mohitster

Dec 28, 2011
After I have built ICS I will will work on Sense version as well. The first version will be ICS however.

---------- Post added at 05:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 AM ----------

I have started a new set of test compiling. I have redone major edits to the whole build directory. I have redone qcom display, framework, external libraries, htc devices and all necessary vendor files have been redone and are still work in progress, the build folder has been redone so no errors will happen now, added new hardware files, fixed development, fixed htc common files and a ton of other changes. All of this will be uploaded to my github account within the next few days.

I will also be leaving for Florida on Sunday and I don't have internet there so I have to barrow my neighbors Wi-Fi and it's extremely slow. I will be downloading all of the big files needed and get it by then and continue to work.

We should have ICS soon, I have made huge progress in the last few days!

More Power to you! Best of luck! :)

lawguy

Nov 2, 2011
I would just urge everyone to support drewgaren with some donations. I know that I don't work for free, I'm sure that you don't, and neither should he. ICS isn't going to be made by itself. Someone's hard work it going to have to create it.

drewgaren

Nov 4, 2010
Detroit
Errors and Updates

I just checked my order status and I should get my Flyer tomorrow. As for compiling I have found out that for some reason I keep getting undefined errors regarding gralloc in the frameworks_base_lib_gui this needs to be fixed, I have fixed a majority of it but there is a still a part that is not fixed. That is not the big problem. The big problem I ran into is that I was compiling this on Mac and I realized when I got further along in the build the my Mac was pushing out errors in the build. I will be working in Linux from now on so I no longer run into errors that I would receive from a Darwin atmosphere. This way I'll have Lion, Snow Leopard, And Ubuntu on my MacBook Pro and more then enough power to compile this. I will run into less errors compiling on Ubuntu.

I have downloaded the kernel source for honeycomb from HTC and will be working on that separately for ICS. If I am going to do a project I want to be functional, especially in a device that I think has full potential.

Reactions: teorouge

freak4dell

Aug 10, 2008
I know you prefer to have a device, but if you could do a version for the View as well, that would be great. They're different from the Flyer, but they're not terribly different, and IIRC, the kernel source for Honeycomb was released for the View, too. Right now, the problem we Honeycomb users have is that we don't really have any developers who can do kernels. We have ones that are capable of doing ROMs, but the kernel seems to be the giant obstacle in the way.

Reactions: sbrownla

jsimonson0

Oct 31, 2011
Bavaro, La Alta Gracia, RD
I know you prefer to have a device, but if you could do a version for the View as well, that would be great. They're different from the Flyer, but they're not terribly different, and IIRC, the kernel source for Honeycomb was released for the View, too. Right now, the problem we Honeycomb users have is that we don't really have any developers who can do kernels. We have ones that are capable of doing ROMs, but the kernel seems to be the giant obstacle in the way.

It's not about preferences; full testing would be impossible without an actual View device. He'd have to rely on someone with a View to do even the most basic testing, let alone bugfixes.

freak4dell

Aug 10, 2008
It's not about preferences; full testing would be impossible without an actual View device. He'd have to rely on someone with a View to do even the most basic testing, let alone bugfixes.

My point is that it's not impossible. I know developers who do work out things without having the device in question. Yes, of course, it's never 100% foolproof like it would be if they had the device, but Drew will have a device that's very similar.

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
You know I almost bought a view? Newegg had it for $250 and I was mauling over it and wanted to sleep on it first, but I found the buy.com $200 flyer deal as a backup. Woke up the next day and the View went up to $300 so I bought the flyer instead...thank god i did since the View obviously has little developer interest! But I didn't know that at the time, you type in "htc Evo View 4G" on wikipedia and it redirects you to HTC Flyer. So I thought they were the exact same tablet regardless.

freak4dell

Aug 10, 2008
You know I almost bought a view? Newegg had it for $250 and I was mauling over it and wanted to sleep on it first, but I found the buy.com $200 flyer deal as a backup. Woke up the next day and the View went up to $300 so I bought the flyer instead...thank god i did since the View obviously has little developer interest! But I didn't know that at the time, you type in "htc Evo View 4G" on wikipedia and it redirects you to HTC Flyer. So I thought they were the exact same tablet regardless.

Yeah, I bought the View because of the larger storage, but I'm definitely regretting it.

drewgaren

Nov 4, 2010
Detroit
View Questions.

The View is very similar to the Flyer. Infact the Flyer even has a version is practically the same as the view and is 4G as well. Because the Flyer and View are so similar if I can find all the correct files neccessary for the View I will be able to compile a build for the View. However I will not be able to test this. I will not work on this until after I have Build ready for the Flyer though. I want to get the Flyer up and running ICS before and I will have the ability to test ICS and any issues on it first.

freak4dell

Aug 10, 2008
The View is very similar to the Flyer. Infact the Flyer even has a version is practically the same as the view and is 4G as well. Because the Flyer and View are so similar if I can find all the correct files neccessary for the View I will be able to compile a build for the View. However I will not be able to test this. I will not work on this until after I have Build ready for the Flyer though. I want to get the Flyer up and running ICS before and I will have the ability to test ICS and any issues on it first.

Great, thank you!

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
I'm very excited to see your work. Excited to the point I just started the process of s-off. I'll try to donate more if I can just don't wanna upset the wife who doesn't see the point and never will lol
Sent from my HTC PH39100 using XDA

drewgaren

Nov 4, 2010
Detroit
Updates!

Just got my Flyer from UPS! I opened it up and was sad to see that has 0% charge so I'm charging it up right now so I can begin some hardcore work tonight.

So far I have made progress, I have fixed many compiling issues and everything should boot up fine. I will be compiling build today and then testing out the Flyer for bugs later tonight if all goes well.

Wish me luck. I'll report everything later on my website as well.

Any downloads I have that are ready will be posted eventually on my site and all progress will be updated on the site later tonight or tomorrow.

I won't have any downloads up until I have at least a partially working build up. I have not tested anything yet.

quails

Oct 27, 2010
Is the scribe pen an objective of this build ? Willing to donate if we're going to get the pen, not interested in the slightest if not.

GMAN1722

Oct 14, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Is the scribe pen an objective of this build ? Willing to donate if we're going to get the pen, not interested in the slightest if not.

+1. I would love ICS but not at the cost of a fully working pen. for me the scribe is what set this apart from other tablets and I use it extensively. will gladly donate if it maintains this function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys I'm headed home today so I'll be able to get more work done on ics and a new kernel. Sorry I can't reply back for some reason I can't view previous pages on the xda app and using the browser is a pain.

I have made a ton of progress though. I have a compiled version of ics up and running with honeycomb soff there is no need to send a command for the touch screen to work like chaosx's original kernel build. I have no force reboots. The most important issue that I currently face is getting the screen working properly. This seems to be because the graphics aren't updated for ics but I'm working on a work arounds currently that will better fix the problem. I am also working on a wifi fix. Sound and data, back camera seem to work fine and pretty much everything else. The front camera does not work though I have not tested it with the full ics lib files necessary. I will try. I have the most up to date kernel from HTC and will be building a new kernel from that to see if it helps in anyway with graphics and wifi. I have a few tricks up my sleeve to get you guys a full proper build. I had it running on my flyer but it needs to be perfect and a few more pieces need to fit into the puzzle to get it there. I know I have been lacking on my github but when I'm done I'll get everything for you guys so you can build as well.

About a sense version: a sense version will very well come out when I get prop files.

Download eta: these builds can't be rushed I want to say sooner then later. I will have the builds at my site so pay attention there. The reason I haven't released any yet is that I will not be held responsible for what errors you make while installing it or what's happens to your flyer. I will get a test build up shortly that will not be the final product.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA
    Update and Upcoming Beta Test Download

No I'm not continiuing Chaos's work except working off of their Kernel. For my first beta that I will be uploading soon I compiled base on Ice Cold Sandwich 7.4 and my own device modifications, build, patch and compiling modifications, kernel modifications and other neccessary modifications.

I am also currently building a new kernel based off of LordClockan's kernel which is in testing and I am also testing another kernel that I am working on based on Leedroid's kernel.

The current beta that I will be releasing on my site in the next few days will not be the final build, but is a just a proof of concept that I am making a huge progress. I am currently working on a CM9 build and AOSP build that I should have done within the next week.

What works in the current beta:
    Data
    Camera
    Video Recorder
    Audio
    Storage
    NTrig Pen (Though there is not really a use for it)
    most other things...

What doesn't work:
    Graphic errors (screen may at times look like it's having a siezure)
    Wifi (does not work yet, kernel error, needs fixing...)
    Front Camera (haven't put the files in yet)

It will be coming soon. I worked my whole vacation to get a pretty good version ready. This will not be a daily driver by any means but with my new kernels in testing and my new builds in progress it should turn out great.

Also I appreciate any donations as I don't really have a job right now and I have to pay the bills some how.

You guys are great, check my site soon for a download.

Screens are attached.
    Updates!

Just got my Flyer from UPS! I opened it up and was sad to see that has 0% charge so I'm charging it up right now so I can begin some hardcore work tonight.

So far I have made progress, I have fixed many compiling issues and everything should boot up fine. I will be compiling build today and then testing out the Flyer for bugs later tonight if all goes well.

Wish me luck. I'll report everything later on my website as well.

Any downloads I have that are ready will be posted eventually on my site and all progress will be updated on the site later tonight or tomorrow.

I won't have any downloads up until I have at least a partially working build up. I have not tested anything yet.
    Replies

I am not new to XDA i just normally do not post any thing in the threads. I am posting in the threads now because of my work for the Flyer. I don't post because of the fact I have to keep checking up on the threads and it takes a lot of work. I will be checking up on the Flyer thread though.

Yes when I received my Flyer I semi bricked by attempting to install someone elses rom and test some features. Didn't work. So no I have S-OFF Honeycomb on just fine and dandy working great.

Lets talk ICS progress:

I have a beta up and running, I'm going to be testing it because I just got it running last night. I will put it my site if all goes well.

In the mean time I working on another build. Screen shots will also be post at my site later.
    Oké guys.

Let's say we close this thread till we actually see something right ;)

Cheers
    Whiskey
    Forum Moderator