APP that supports WMP ratings?

Search This thread

frifox

Oct 12, 2007
Portland, OR
I get ~500 new tracks per month and I heavily rely on Windows Media Player's 5-star rating system to keep track of the ones I liked/disliked. I'm looking for an app that has the ability to read AND add/edit the rating, aka ID3's "RATING WMP" tag, of mp3's that I will manually load onto sdcard. I've tried many different music apps but none fit the requirements... any suggestions?

Thanks! ;)

Reactions: Peran

frifox

Oct 12, 2007
Portland, OR
ok, made some progress... found a way to seamlessly "sync" music libraries:
  1. set up samba (windows) share on pc
  2. used Mount Manager to mount that share on Evo as /sdcard/share/audio
  3. reload media, all mp3s now show up in HTC Music as if they were physically on sdcard
ps: if i'm not on WiFi, just VPN into my home linux box and everything shows up as "local" :p

now all that's left is to find something that would write the ratings back into mp3s... i found this iSyncr app that does it but there are some quirks that needs to be worked out before its usable. will report back once that is done :D

frifox

Oct 12, 2007
Portland, OR
wifi sync was a hassle and iSyncr froze my phone for 5 mins each time i remounted sdcard, and also wifi sync is much slower than traditional usb sync anyways so here's what i worked out instead:
  • set Songbird to monitor my "New songs" for mp3's
  • set Songbird to auto-sync music as soon sdcard is mounted to pc
  • unmount/eject and use PlayerPro to listed & rate music
  • once done, in PlayerPro, export song stats to xml (Settings > Media library >Export music stats > Songbird)
  • use Songbird's "RatingFile" addon to import ratings from that xml
  • since in Songbird i set 'songbird.metadata.ratings.enableWriting" to "true", it writes the new ratings to mp3's ID3 tag "RATING" field
  • use Mp3Tag macro to batch-move RATING field value to RATING WMP
  • viola... my new ratings now show up in WMP :D

long and tedious process but so far that's the only one where i managed to successfully sync new ratings back to WMP :cool:

PS: doubleTwist can do two-way ratings syncing WAAAAY easier with their AirSync addong but i haven't found a way to move the new ratings from doubleTwist to WMP... any ideas?

SolusCado

Did you ever come up with a clean solution to this problem? I have so much new incoming music all the time that it is a real pain to have to sit in front of my primary PC rating music all the time; it would be so nice if I could sync it to my phone or tablet, rate music as I drive, and then sync the ratings back to my computer...

frifox

Oct 12, 2007
Portland, OR
get PlayerPro... that dev implemented the ability to read/write ratings to actual mp3 files. both WMP and MediaMonkey id3 rating system. then, to make sure the ratings are same on both your phone and your computer, install microsoft's SyncToy and set up a two-way folder sync.

SolusCado

get PlayerPro... that dev implemented the ability to read/write ratings to actual mp3 files. both WMP and MediaMonkey id3 rating system. then, to make sure the ratings are same on both your phone and your computer, install microsoft's SyncToy and set up a two-way folder sync.

Thanks; I actually came across PlayerPro in the same search that returned your thread. :) The only problem I see is that I use WMP's autoplaylists to only sync 4 or 5 star rated items to my device. If I am using SyncToy to synchronize folders, that makes the whole dynamic rating thing kind of useless, doesn't it?

frifox

Oct 12, 2007
Portland, OR
hmm, in my case i didn't have a need for dynamic playlists and PlayerPro fit the bill perfectly, so yeah, i'm not sure how you'd deal with syncing back the ratings from cell to pc... i manage my library using files and folders so i guess i lucked out here :D

SolusCado

:) I guess so. I have WMP setup to auto sort music into a folder structure that maps to Artist > Album > [Track Number] [Song Title], and then I only synchronize the songs I've rated 4 stars or higher. That way when it syncs to my car (using my phone as a storage drive), I can browse the file system by Artist, Album, etc., and I only have the songs I like synced up.

octavia

Oct 6, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5G
:) I guess so. I have WMP setup to auto sort music into a folder structure that maps to Artist > Album > [Track Number] [Song Title], and then I only synchronize the songs I've rated 4 stars or higher. That way when it syncs to my car (using my phone as a storage drive), I can browse the file system by Artist, Album, etc., and I only have the songs I like synced up.

Thanks for asking the question, I was looking for the same thing. Maybe I can help you out too. I don't know about the sync tool you use but MediaMonkey can sync songs based on dynamic playlists too. So you can create a playlist based on ratings (or more) and MM will sync it automatically. However you have to have the paid version but IMO it's worth the price.

SolusCado

Thanks for asking the question, I was looking for the same thing. Maybe I can help you out too. I don't know about the sync tool you use but MediaMonkey can sync songs based on dynamic playlists too. So you can create a playlist based on ratings (or more) and MM will sync it automatically. However you have to have the paid version but IMO it's worth the price.

Does MediaMonkey add anything I don't already get with WMP?

Peran

Jan 16, 2008
Leiden
EDIT: Tl;DR
PlayerPro can modify and read the Windows Media Player star rating.
I've verified that tracks with less than 4 stars are removed from my device. However, I expected to see more removals. I'll continue to update here

I had an issue with PlayerPro, the 'stars' (rating) disappeared from the top of the screen. I solved this by tapping the track picture in the center of the screen. The star rating on top of the screen reappears after that.
---
Awesome threat.. Just got a Nokia 9, first Android phone
Same issue.

I manage my music with auto playlist and star rating since I had a HTC Wizard and Windows XP, I think :p

Anyway, PlayerPro seem the way to go.
The problem I now have is that I can't seem to change the star rating anymore, in PlayerPro.
This: https://www.aplayerpro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3305
.. seem to be hopeful but alas. I'll continue the quest on a later day and update here.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I get ~500 new tracks per month and I heavily rely on Windows Media Player's 5-star rating system to keep track of the ones I liked/disliked. I'm looking for an app that has the ability to read AND add/edit the rating, aka ID3's "RATING WMP" tag, of mp3's that I will manually load onto sdcard. I've tried many different music apps but none fit the requirements... any suggestions?

Thanks! ;)