Battery Life Discussion

Search This thread

Note10.1Dude

Dec 17, 2013
California
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 3
Smartwatches are going to seriously need the ability to generate power from the motion of wearing them. Or an internal nuclear-decay power source. I really like the 360, but think we may still be a generation early on low-power screens and chips to be able to make a thin watch that will last for 3 to 5 days, which would be ideal.

brizey

Aug 6, 2011
I would rather have quick and easy charging than 2 day life. I would much rather have a smaller/thinner watch than one that can go for three days for no reason (we have electricity in our house!). Why would you not charge it at night? The only scenario I can think of is if you forget by accident or don't seat it in a charger properly. A day charge while you **** shower and shave fixes that better than a bigger battery you have to lug around the other 364 days a year.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bjray

bbish937

Jul 9, 2014
Smartwatches are going to seriously need the ability to generate power from the motion of wearing them. Or an internal nuclear-decay power source. I really like the 360, but think we may still be a generation early on low-power screens and chips to be able to make a thin watch that will last for 3 to 5 days, which would be ideal.

Smartwatches are tough with screens on such a small device its hard to get enough battery to power it for long. This kinetic energy idea would really be brilliant I don't know what the conversions would be but I mean my watch that I have now runs only on kinetic energy, granted theres no display but it has to provide some energy no? Maybe a combo of a battery, kinetic, and solar power could give smartwatches the extra juice they need?

Gadgety

May 13, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
This kinetic energy idea would really be brilliant I don't know what the conversions would be but I mean my watch that I have now runs only on kinetic energy, granted theres no display but it has to provide some energy no?

Forget kinetic, if by kinetic you mean the wrist movements. It's not even remotely possible to use. There are some variations that could work:

http://www.thinkbiologic.com/reviews/2010/09/wired-review-reecharge
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/332999904/the-siva-cycle-atom-powering-your-life-one-pedal-a
http://www.ippinka.com/blog/big-rig-charge-your-laptop-by-exercising/

Wireless charging stations spreading to shop counters, restaurants, coffee houses stand a better chance.

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

Smartwatches are going to seriously need the ability to generate power from the motion of wearing them.

It's going to take a while. A really long while. Very, very long. Have a look at regular watches, not mechanical, but kinetically charged quartz. How long did that take to develop? 18 years, at Seiko, and not long after, Citizen just overtook the tech with solar charging. Quartz watches are incredibly frugal. Quartz, an amazing achievement that took at least 30 years to develop for the wrist, and to industrialize. Trivialized today, but when it happened it was amazing. For a while there was also tech that used the body's chemistry to charge the batteries, but it wasn't really competitive, not even for frugal quartz watches. What we call smartwatches are in a different league though, microcomputers, with processors, radios, colorscreens... which are just beginning to be able to last a couple of days of battery power. Being small enough to fit on a wrist is an incredible development in and of itself. Kinetic charging from the wrist - run a marathon and your smartwatch, through a kinetic charger, would last perhaps a few seconds, not enough to even boot up. So kinetic, good luck.

Last edited:

Hardcore73

Dec 30, 2011
I think the week without charging is if you keep screen off. Every demo I have seen the screen is automatically off and when they wake it the screen turns on.

vdefender

Jan 5, 2009
Seattle, Wa
I doubt I will have any issues with battery life with the 360. The way that this is meant to be used is mainly as a watch. Lift your arm, check the time and you're done. You can also check the weather, but how often do you really do that? The other thing that having this on your wrist will do is provide very quick access to notifications. When I'm in a meeting at work, and my phone vibrates in my pocket. Now I wonder if it's worth it to pull my phone out in front of everyone, unlock the screen, pull down my notification and read it. that's a lot of steps just to see if it's important and potentially distracting to the meeting. With the 360, I get a vibrate, and smoothly lift my wrist as if to check to the time, and the notification will be right there and i'm done.

People shouldn't be using their smartwatch to brows the internet, type, or do anything other than a quick glance, in my opinion. In most cases, you will want to just pull your phone out for productivity purposes.

Anyways, I'm not even the least bit worried about battery life. I just want it now!! :D

Reactions: Bjray and CromoPT

hotleadsingerguy

Jan 12, 2010

See I don't understand this...why do people need 3-5 day battery life? Your phone doesn't last that long...so why would a device that basically DEPENDS on it?

ChodTheWacko

Feb 8, 2011
See I don't understand this...why do people need 3-5 day battery life? Your phone doesn't last that long...so why would a device that basically DEPENDS on it?

Coming from a pebble -

It's actually quite nice to use the alarm on the watch. It vibrates and wakes you up (quite well, I might add), without waking up the person next to you.
Having to take the watch off to charge kind of loses that ability.

Having a custom charger, I prefer not to bring the charger around with me, lest it get lost/broken (in which case you're kind of screwed).
So it's very nice to be able to top off on friday, and then do whatever on the weekend (camp, out of town, whatever) without worrying about losing power.
Phones are a different beast, since everyone has a microusb cable. (kind of).

And a side worry - if you can just 'get through' a full day and then need to charge - what happens when the battery starts to degrade, like all batteries do?
Going from one full day to less than a full day is totally unacceptable since it's a custom charger. Going from multiple days to less is tolerable.

I'd say nobody NEEDS 3+ days. But let me tell you - I sure will miss it.

robrob777

Mar 31, 2010
The verge said that it last only 12Hrs, less if heavy used.
WSJ said it has to be charged twice a day.

Root cause of the bad battery life might be the fact that it uses a discontinued TI processor, the fact that Android Wear is having on resources and that it has only 320mah, for reference thr LG G watch has 400mah.

Suddenly I don't want it anymore. My Gear fit last from 3 to 5 days depending on usage.

Last edited:

AstroDigital

Aug 10, 2010
I agree 12 hours.... glad it did not go on sale in Canada.
Average day 6 am to 11 pm .....

EVOme

Jun 3, 2010
Guys....the battery life I am seeing so far is horrible! I took it out of the box at 18%. It started to update and got so low it told me to charge. Wouldn't do anything until I charged it. I let it get to 35% and started again. After the update and finally getting connected to my phone...it's at 14% again. I tried to use it and it's sooooo laggy. I just rebooted it again to see if there was something going on. It's sitting on charger at 13%.

mk92595

Aug 23, 2012
Guys....the battery life I am seeing so far is horrible! I took it out of the box at 18%. It started to update and got so low it told me to charge. Wouldn't do anything until I charged it. I let it get to 35% and started again. After the update and finally getting connected to my phone...it's at 14% again. I tried to use it and it's sooooo laggy. I just rebooted it again to see if there was something going on. It's sitting on charger at 13%.

This is making me regret dropping the $265 I did on it

Reactions: RodKahx

DaRacerz

Feb 9, 2008
NY
www.newnextgen.com

Similar issues here. Trying to pair with phone and getting the watch setup it, I went from 32% to 16% very quickly. Charging now to full and will see how it lasts from full charge. Maybe just requires some conditioning?

EVOme

Jun 3, 2010
At the rate the battery is draining I have a hard time believing I could get 8hrs on a charge. I turned the ambient feature off to conserve battery. It disconnects from phone while it's charging. Well, doesnt get notifcations while charging.

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

She's at 70%. Will let you guys know tonight now the battery does from full. Not sure why no other watch battery is like the Gear. My Gear 2 lasted at least 4 days on a charge.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well it's been off charger since midnight, put on my wrist about 745am. Going to run it to dead today and post results. My GF and I are fighting right now, so she's texting the crap out of me, so we'll see.
    Can you thanks her for being part of your heavy usage moto360 battery test?
    The battery does get better progressively and all tech sites definitely jumped the gun on battery life. It's day 5 for me and this charge cycle is going strong! Took it off at 6:30 am on Saturday, September 13th, and right now it is 2:20 pm on Sunday September 14th and i have 15% left. That's 10 minutes shy of 32 hours with charge still left! Used for numerous text messages via hangouts, fb messenger, and a couple emails. This is definitely waaaay better than what i expected out of a 320 mAh battery!
    The verge said that it last only 12Hrs, less if heavy used.
    WSJ said it has to be charged twice a day.

Root cause of the bad battery life might be the fact that it uses a discontinued TI processor, the fact that Android Wear is having on resources and that it has only 320mah, for reference thr LG G watch has 400mah.

Suddenly I don't want it anymore. My Gear fit last from 3 to 5 days depending on usage.

All of these 12 hour claims are coming from a single source whom I bet botched the testing process by using it non-stop. I mean how are they just now releasing a review of the device on the same day it came out already knowing what the battery life is? Did Moto give one to The Verge to trial for a week so they would have a review ready and waiting that completely contradicts moto's own claims of battery life? Seems to me like some jackass just averaged out the current rate of drain and said "welp, if it uses 10% 1 hour then that means it gets about 10 hours !!"

Cmon, moto promised it would get up to 2 days. My G watch lasts about 20 hours under heavy use and it has a more battery hungry LCD display and the screen is ALWAYS ON. I simply refuse to believe that the 360 gets 12 hours under NORMAL conditions. I dont even think moto would release something like this, and I'm not one of those idiots saying a smartwatch needs to last an entire month without a charge. I think charging every night is acceptable, but it has to last an ENTIRE day, up to 24 hours preferably.

I await the REAL WORLD reviews on this forum, thanks for your input.

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

I've found that you can't turn off the wrist lift screen on feature. That causes batt drain. The pedometer is on and can't turn off either.

Can you set it so the screen is always ON? My G watch never turns off, it just dims when not in use. I like this so I can glance at it without having to flick my wrist and rely on the 50% chance it actually wakes up.
    Phil Nickinson (Android Central)
    Shared publicly - Yesterday 5:29 PM

And by the way, I've gone 9 hours so far today and am just now hitting 50 percent. I've heard rumblings about twice-daily charging or something — don't even know the source; I haven't bothered looking — and I'm not yet seeing anything nearly that alarming.

https://plus.google.com/+PhilNickinson/posts/4ded2qpfYDn
    Hmmm... just to point out that for the most part, these reviewers or journalists like theverge site will have been actively using the watch more than most people will in the day as they are reviewing it. I would be very surprised if 12 hours is the max you'll get out of it.

Give it a couple of days to get over actually having it and using it, then you'll start to treat it like just a watch and stop fiddling with it every 5 mins, then you'll probably see battery life improve.

Just speculation... ;)